Blues using cap space from Steens LTIRetirement

Created by: TheEarthmaster
Team: 2020-21 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 17, 2020
Published: Dec. 17, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
THE TRADE:

Blues take on one million in extra cap and get the better player in the trade to add scoring in the top six while Tarasenko is recovering and just in general to make their team better when he's back. Also clears a roster spot for Kyrou to have even when we're at full strength.

Vegas gets under the cap and can get the goal scoring that they're losing in Marchessault back in the aggregate (Bozak+Sanford is about 20/25 goals, so Marchessault-ish). They also get, like, a real center with NHL experience to backup Glass and a young-ish RFA winger with top six potential but more likely just a very good third liner. Golden Knights fans should remember Sanford, It's not too many times you get the chance to acquire a guy who scored four goals on you (no we do not need to look up which team won that game).

Vegas gives up the later second pick they have stashed away because who else is giving you useful assets and solving your cap problem at the same time? The answer is no one else, it's not my choice, don't be mad at me!

I'm not married to the lines, Tarasenko will be out to start and lines always shift around throughout the season anyway, but I think this works.

I used Evolving-Hockey's contract projection tool for Dunn's contract (rounded the number but whatever).

SEATTLE PROTECTED LIST:
O'Reilly
Tarasenko
Schenn
Thomas
Kyrou
Marchessault
Schwartz

Dunn
Parayko
Krug

Binnington

People will want me to protect Perron and like I know he's been good (an all star!) but he'll be 33 when this draft rolls around and everyone on that forward list I think is either a better player or will be a better player long-term. We'll 100% re-sign him the next year if he's picked off for expansion just like last time so who cares? I don't think Seattle takes him regardless of if he's exposed or not anyway.

May have to move one other guy next offseason but the combination of Gunnarsson's contract + Bozak's retained salary + Seattle picking someone off the roster should give us juuuust enough space to re-sign Binnington/Schwartz/Thomas provided that no one besides Thomas gets a significant raise (and Thomas is the only one who should get much of a raise anyway, especially if Schwartz is on a long-term deal).
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,600,000
Trades
STL
  1. Marchessault, Jonathan
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Bozak, Tyler ($2,500,000 retained)
  2. Sanford, Zachary
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$71,908,848$306,349$425,000$9,591,152

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,350,000$5,350,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 8
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$758,333$758,333
RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,475,000$1,475,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,400,000$4,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,275,000$3,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, RW, C
NTC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 17, 2020 at 8:02 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Just wanted to give a shout-out to my main man Alexander Steen, dude was an absolutely unreal player in his prime and did it so quietly and was around for so long to the point that I think Blues fans forget how good he really was. He was still posting a better Goals Above Replacement last year as a 36 year old than half the team, which is incredible. One of my favorite players of the last decade and I'm gonna miss him.
A_K liked this.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 8:21 p.m.
Huge respect to Steen, what a pro.

Not a fan of acquiring Marchessault. You just dodged a bullet with Steen going on LTIR so you can now sign your top young LHD. Focus o getting deals for Schwartz (if you wanna keep him) and Thomas before even considering adding anyone else in the mix. Armstrong has made some questionable veteran signings in last 18 months that may end up being a Steen LTIRetirment or buyout all over again (Schenn till 37, Faulk till 35, Krug till 36, Scandella till 34). I'd be very cautious bringing in Marchessault till he's 34. Bozak will walk or take a paycut at end of year . You still have guys like Sundqvist, Kyrou, Barbashev, Kostin, Sanford still developing- see where you're at in a year with them IMO.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 8:40 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: ek_65
Huge respect to Steen, what a pro.

Not a fan of acquiring Marchessault. You just dodged a bullet with Steen going on LTIR so you can now sign your top young LHD. Focus o getting deals for Schwartz (if you wanna keep him) and Thomas before even considering adding anyone else in the mix. Armstrong has made some questionable veteran signings in last 18 months that may end up being a Steen LTIRetirment or buyout all over again (Schenn till 37, Faulk till 35, Krug till 36, Scandella till 34). I'd be very cautious bringing in Marchessault till he's 34. Bozak will walk or take a paycut at end of year . You still have guys like Sundqvist, Kyrou, Barbashev, Kostin, Sanford still developing- see where you're at in a year with them IMO.

Agree wholeheartedly on some of the long-term singings being questionable. I'm not sure how much you can really say guys who are in their mid twenties like Sanford and Sundqvist are still "developing"- at this point they most likely are who they are- but sure there's a lot of young talent on this team with potential. Even so, those guys aren't surefire even in the "prospect/young player" sense that guys like Dunn or Thomas are. I don't see any of those guys except maybe Kyrou being a top six forward in the future. I don't want to miss out on the best years that Tarasenko, Krug, O'Reilly, even Perron have left because we were waiting on guys who may or may not develop into something more. I'd rather spend (minimal) assets and get the help now, even if we've got some old guys on the team (as you point out- we're already screwed in that department, what's one more?)
Dec. 17, 2020 at 9:30 p.m.
2018 Canucks
Edited Dec. 17, 2020 at 9:36 p.m.
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
Agree wholeheartedly on some of the long-term singings being questionable. I'm not sure how much you can really say guys who are in their mid twenties like Sanford and Sundqvist are still "developing"- at this point they most likely are who they are- but sure there's a lot of young talent on this team with potential. Even so, those guys aren't surefire even in the "prospect/young player" sense that guys like Dunn or Thomas are. I don't see any of those guys except maybe Kyrou being a top six forward in the future. I don't want to miss out on the best years that Tarasenko, Krug, O'Reilly, even Perron have left because we were waiting on guys who may or may not develop into something more. I'd rather spend (minimal) assets and get the help now, even if we've got some old guys on the team (as you point out- we're already screwed in that department, what's one more?)

Blues are hardly young lol
Dec. 18, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: Nighthawk
Blues are hardly young lol

I never said they were? But there is young talent on this team.
Dec. 18, 2020 at 9:42 a.m.
Quoting: TheEarthmaster

Agreed, Steen wasn't even playing top 9 minutes no desperate need to replace him. I know not all of them are prospects but it's a deep forward group, and I think some could impress if given a legitimate chance higher in the lineup. I just feel Armstrong's been a little trigger friendly with making big deals, and worried it will impede the team's ability to stay relevant and keep their window open when you could have talent available internally.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll