SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 NHL Season Ranking Predictions

Dec. 19, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
torontos finest
Edited Dec. 20, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.
yo,

Let's do a site-wide survey on where we think every team will end up at the end of the playoffs. It's still a bit early to know the finer details of the season, but I believe the divisions are set but not yet officially acknowledged:

NORTH: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg
EAST: Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, New York I, New York R, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
CENTRAL: Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Floria, Nashville, Tampa Bay
WEST: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Los Angeles, Minnesota, San Jose, St Louis, Vegas

The top four teams will qualify for the playoffs.
OldNYIfan and lebronisdagoat liked this.
Dec. 19, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
Edited Dec. 21, 2020 at 7:01 a.m.
North: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver,Winnipeg and Ottawa
East: Philly, NYI, Boston, Washington, NYR, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, NJD
Central: Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Detroit, Chicago
West: Colorado, Vegas, STL, Anaheim, Arizona, Minny, SJS, LAK
I did these off the top of my head and it was hard to rank 4-8 of the Pacific
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 19, 2020 at 6:11 p.m.
Canada: Tor, Jets, MTL, EDM, VAN, CGY, OTT
East: NYI, PIT, WSH, BOS, PHI, BUF, NYR, NJD
Central: CBJ, NSH, TB, CAR, DAL, FLA, CHI, DET
West: COL, STL, Vegas, MN, AZ, SJS, ANA, LA (4th-8th is really a tossup)
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 7:39 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Pacific: Colorado, Vegas, STL, Anaheim, Arizona, Minny, SJS, LAK
I did these off the top of my head and it was hard to rank 4-8 of the Pacific

Quoting: wabit
West: COL, STL, Vegas, MN, AZ, SJS, ANA, LA (4th-8th is really a tossup)

West: Colorado, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Arizona, Minnesota, San Jose
Dec. 20, 2020 at 8:17 p.m.
Huge advantage for the Canadian teams with only 7 teams in division. East division is absolutely stacked. Competitive balance is gonna be a little off, but I'm just excited to see things moving in the right direction.
Bolts20Cup liked this.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 9:06 p.m.
Canadian and East division is stacked, West division sucks after top 3
Dec. 20, 2020 at 9:46 p.m.

I think the Canadian Division is the weakest of all. The top team there might finish 3rd in the other 3 Divisions. Lots of even teams, but not really the top end teams.
Bolts20Cup and Brian2016 liked this.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 10:26 p.m.
torontos finest
I'm recording the results as well, FYI.

I'm going to go through ACGM to look for ones where someone is making a prediction since some people just post there.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 12:22 a.m.
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2140431

Here is mine, in case you miss it.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 7:04 a.m.
I think the Canadian Division is the weakest of all. The top team there might finish 3rd in the other 3 Divisions. Lots of even teams, but not really the top end teams.

I think the West is the weakest since they have 3 great teams and then five teams that would miss the playoffs easily while the Canadian division has 6 good teams and 1 bad team and plus, the Canadian division winner will most likely have as many points as at least a second place team
Dec. 21, 2020 at 10:33 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
North:
Toronto
Vancouver
Edmonton
Montreal
Calgary
Winnipeg
Ottawa

East:
Philadelphia
Washington
Pittsburgh
Boston
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Buffalo
New Jersey

Central:
Tampa
Carolina
Nashville
Dallas
Florida
Columbus
Chicago
Detroit

West:
Colorado
Vegas
St. Louis
San Jose
Arizona
Minnesota
Anaheim
LA

Playoffs:
Toronto over Montreal in 6
Vancouver over Edmonton in 7
Philadelphia over Boston in 6
Pittsburgh over Washington in 5
Tampa over Dallas in 5
Carolina over Nashville in 4
Colorado over San Jose in 4
Vegas over St. Louis in 6

Toronto over Vancouver in 6
Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in 7
Tampa over Carolina in 6
Colorado over Vegas in 5

Tampa over Toronto in 5
Colorado over Philadelphia in 6

Tampa over Colorado in 6

Awards:
Hart: Mackinnon (Matthews, Aho)
Lady Byng: Matthews (Mackinnon, Stone)
Vezina: Vasilevsky (Hart, Price)
Calder: Lafreniere (Kaprisov, Robertson)
Art Ross: Mackinnon (Mcdavid, Kucherov)
Norris: Hedman (Makar, Hughes)
Ted Lindsay: Mackinnon (Mcdavid, Matthews)
Jack Adams: Cooper (Julien, Keefe)
Selke: Stone (Couterier, Matthews)
Maurice Richard: Matthews (Ovechkin, Mackinnon)
Conn Smythe: Mackinnon (Kucherov, Hedman)

Draft Top 3 Picks:
Detroit - Owen Power
Seattle - Kent Johnson
Ottawa - Brandt Clarke
Dec. 21, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
I think the West is the weakest since they have 3 great teams and then five teams that would miss the playoffs easily while the Canadian division has 6 good teams and 1 bad team and plus, the Canadian division winner will most likely have as many points as at least a second place team

Points are an apples to oranges thing this year for me. It might as well be 4 separate leagues because there isn't any crossover for games played until the end of the Playoffs. It's closer to the CHL/Memorial Cup than the NHL/Stanley Cup that we've all become accustomed to.
Bolts20Cup liked this.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 7:58 p.m.
torontos finest
NORTH
1. Toronto
2. Calgary
3. Montreal
4. Edmonton
5. Vancouver
6. Winnipeg
7. Ottawa

EAST
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Boston
4. Pittsburgh
5. New York I
6. Buffalo
7. New York R
8. New Jersey

CENTRAL
1. Tampa Bay
2. Carolina
3. Dallas
4. Florida
5. Nashville
6. Columbus
7. Chicago
8. Detroit

WEST
1. Colorado
2. St Louis
3. Vegas
4. San Jose
5. Arizona
6. Anaheim
7. Minnesota
8. Los Angeles

Said in another thread, but 3-5 in North is interchangable. 4-7 in the East is probably going to a toss-up too,

Believe that the West is going to be the top 3 teams destroying the division and the other 5 fighting for the last spot. Don't really care about what happens in Central.
Dec. 22, 2020 at 9:13 a.m.
Quoting: mondo
NORTH
1. Toronto
2. Calgary
3. Montreal
4. Edmonton
5. Vancouver
6. Winnipeg
7. Ottawa

EAST
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Boston
4. Pittsburgh
5. New York I
6. Buffalo
7. New York R
8. New Jersey

CENTRAL
1. Tampa Bay
2. Carolina
3. Dallas
4. Florida
5. Nashville
6. Columbus
7. Chicago
8. Detroit

WEST
1. Colorado
2. St Louis
3. Vegas
4. San Jose
5. Arizona
6. Anaheim
7. Minnesota
8. Los Angeles

Said in another thread, but 3-5 in North is interchangable. 4-7 in the East is probably going to a toss-up too,

Believe that the West is going to be the top 3 teams destroying the division and the other 5 fighting for the last spot. Don't really care about what happens in Central.

I agree with most of these tbh,

as for the north: ide say winnipeg might be a little low on your list there. toronto/calgary got better, edm offense got better defense eh, montreal got better and a year older, vancouver i think got a little worse losing tanev and markstrom. have to rely on demko now, holtby blows,

as for the east: pitt and washington are really boom or bust candidates here. Both teams relying on rookie full time goalies really. Same with NYR but i think their defense is a year or 2 away from being full blown elite status. ide probably rank: philly, boston, wash, pitt, nyi, nyr, buff but any of those 5 teams after boston could easily be 3 or 4. I just think rask can help absolve any defensive issues where i dont know if shesterkin, sorokin, jarry, or samsonov will.

as for central: agree with these except florida, ide put columbus their and then nashville in front of florida.

as for west: I think SJS is SCREWED. its not going to be pretty but that 4 spot is 100% up for grabs. Dont count LA out of it just yet. they were on fire to end the year last year when they committed to the young guys.
Dec. 22, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: hanson493
I agree with most of these tbh,

as for the north: ide say winnipeg might be a little low on your list there. toronto/calgary got better, edm offense got better defense eh, montreal got better and a year older, vancouver i think got a little worse losing tanev and markstrom. have to rely on demko now, holtby blows,

as for the east: pitt and washington are really boom or bust candidates here. Both teams relying on rookie full time goalies really. Same with NYR but i think their defense is a year or 2 away from being full blown elite status. ide probably rank: philly, boston, wash, pitt, nyi, nyr, buff but any of those 5 teams after boston could easily be 3 or 4. I just think rask can help absolve any defensive issues where i dont know if shesterkin, sorokin, jarry, or samsonov will.

as for central: agree with these except florida, ide put columbus their and then nashville in front of florida.

as for west: I think SJS is SCREWED. its not going to be pretty but that 4 spot is 100% up for grabs. Dont count LA out of it just yet. they were on fire to end the year last year when they committed to the young guys.

If you make your own ranking I can record it.

I think a lot of these are going to be closer than expected. I don't think Winnipeg improved all that much during the offseason and I don't think their roster is better than Vancouver's. Hellebuyck will have to have another outstanding season in order for them to go any higher.

East and West will essentially be the top 3 teams fighting amongst themselves while the reason of the division tries to get that last spot. Don't really have any strong opinions are the way they're ordered. I picked the Sharks for the last west spot because I believe they are due for a rebound year.
hanson493 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
yo,

Let's do a site-wide survey on where we think every team will end up at the end of the playoffs. It's still a bit early to know the finer details of the season, but I believe the divisions are set but not yet officially acknowledged:

EAST: Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, New York I, New York R, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
CENTRAL: Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Floria, Nashville, Tampa Bay
WEST: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Los Angeles, Minnesota, San Jose, St Louis, Vegas

yo,

Tampa Bay LAST?!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha best laugh all year thank you
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 24, 2020 at 9:32 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Bolts20Cup
Tampa Bay LAST?!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha best laugh all year thank you

that wasn't my ranking... that was just the teams in alphabetical order....
Dec. 24, 2020 at 9:33 p.m.
that wasn't my ranking... that was just the teams in alphabetical order....

Ok but I needed the laugh thanks
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 1:30 a.m.
North
Toronto
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa

EAST
Boston
Philadelphia
NYI
Washington
Pittsburgh
NYR
Buffalo
NJD

CENTRAL
Tampa Bay
Carolina
Dallas
Florida
CBJ
Nashville
Chicago
Detroit

WEST
Colorado
St. Louis
Vegas
Arizona
Minnesota
San Jose
Anaheim
LA
Dec. 25, 2020 at 1:33 a.m.
NORTH
1. Toronto
2. Calgary
3. Montreal
4. Edmonton
5. Vancouver
6. Winnipeg
7. Ottawa

EAST
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Boston
4. Pittsburgh
5. New York I
6. Buffalo
7. New York R
8. New Jersey

CENTRAL
1. Tampa Bay
2. Carolina
3. Dallas
4. Florida
5. Nashville
6. Columbus
7. Chicago
8. Detroit

WEST
1. Colorado
2. St Louis
3. Vegas
4. San Jose
5. Arizona
6. Anaheim
7. Minnesota
8. Los Angeles

Ironically that is where the cup champs will lol come From.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 3:04 a.m.
Edited Dec. 25, 2020 at 3:10 a.m.

I was going to type the top 4 but yeah I think Toronto is the best of the Canadian teams and if they were playing in one of the other divisions I don’t think they finished better than fourth Boston the IslandersPhilly Washington all legitimately wind up ahead of them in the east
Tampa Bay Carolina Dallas maybe the pansies I mean panthers in the central and Colorado St. Louis Vegas all finish ahead of them in the west
Kind of the NFC East of the NFL right now
Dec. 25, 2020 at 3:14 a.m.

You can definitely argue that six of the top 11-12 teams in the entire league are in the East (The North has the best competitive balance). We could see not one, but two of the following teams miss the playoffs in the East: NYI, WASH, PIT, PHI, & BOS. One of these teams will already definitely miss, lol. If the NYR make the playoffs, two of them miss. Crazy.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 5:38 a.m.
EDM will not make the playoffs. So many things went right for them last season. MTL, TOR, & CGY all have far superior goaltending, in my opinion. VAN's goaltending isn't far superior, but it's better and I like their defense better than EDM's defense. If McDavid and Draisaitl both don't finish top 5 in scoring, they'll finish 6th. If One team in this division is hurt by the realignment, it's EDM. They'd be far better off in the Pacific with the 3 California teams and the mediocre Yotes.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.
Banned
yo,

North - 1. TOR 2. EDM 3. CGY 4. MTL 5. VAN 6. WPG 7. OTT
East - 1. WSH 2. PHI 3. BOS 4. NYI 5. PIT 6. NYR 7. BUF 8. NJD
Central - 1. TBL 2. CAR 3. NSH 4. CBJ 5. DAL 6. FLA 7. CHI 8. DET
West - 1. VGK 2. COL 3. STL 4. ARZ 5. SJS 6. MIN 7. ANA 8. LAK

link to original predictions in october
i made some changes
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2071730
Dec. 25, 2020 at 3:39 p.m.
I'm recording the results as well, FYI.

I'm going to go through ACGM to look for ones where someone is making a prediction since some people just post there.

Any results thus far?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll