SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Nashville Predators

Nashville Predators 2021 season preview

Dec. 19, 2020 at 10:15 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Wow is this a puzzling offseason.

I really like adding Boro and Benning, this makes their d-core one of the best ones in the league if it wasn't already that. Adding Kunin in exchange for Bonino is an awesome move by a GM that I think has made pretty bad moves in the past.

Adding Cousins and Richardson provides internal competition for the bottom six, which I like a lot.
That being said, even if Tomasino makes their teams and even if he performs, the team still lacks offense. It will need to come from the aforementioned Tolvanen, Kunin and Cousins as well as from Sissons. Jarnkrok and Grimaldi will need to perform as they did last season and Johansen will need to come back to his 16-17 form. If these thing don't happen, then their offense will be very weak and I wouldn't see them making the playoffs. So my x-factor for them is the offense depth panning out.

Here's how I'd build the lineup:
Tolvanen-Duchene-Arvidsson
Forsberg-Johansen-Kunin
Jarnkrok-Sissons-Grimaldi
Cousins-Richardson-Trenin

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Borowiecki-Benning

Saros
Rinne

@gmgb
@villenash
gmgb and villenash liked this.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 2:46 a.m.
Puzzling is definitely a word for it. I think they're probably about the hardest team to forecast right now. Part of that is not knowing if they're done making moves or not. They seem to be content to stand pat, but with the advantage they have when it comes to cap space, Poile could still pull off one of his big trades. He's in a great position to take advantage of another GM right now.

I'm happy with all of the UFA signings (Boro, Benning, Cousins, Richardson). I think they all add something this team's been missing for awhile, and they all came at a reasonable cost. I never watched a ton of Kunin before the trade, so I'm not sure what to expect, but if he can't be at least a decent 2nd line contributor I'll be disappointed, given how much Poile gave up to get him. Addressing the 3rd pair and strengthening the bottom six is great and all, but they also lost a lot of scoring depth from last year. They haven't really done anything about that, and it's a concern if they want to be competitive. It was a weakness before, and on paper it's worse now. At least some of last year's underachievers should rebound, but hoping on that and expecting contributions from Tolvanen and Kunin right away might be asking too much.

As for your lines, I'm good with most of it. I'm not one of fans who thinks the JOFA line has to stick together no matter what, but Johansen and Arvidsson aren't the two I'd split up. I'd rather see what they could do with Tolvanen, and try to get Forsberg and Duchene some ice time together. I don't know if it will happen though. I know Poile did mention he sees Kunin, Cousins & Richardson all on different lines. My best guess is we'll see something like this:

JOFA
Tolvanen-Duchene-Sissons (Poile has also talked about giving Sissons a chance to play higher in the lineup, he and Kunin could switch spots here)
Cousins-Tomasino-Kunin (I really think they give Tomasino a taste of the NHL if he has a good camp. At least a 9 game try out)
Jarnkrok-Richardson-Grimaldi
Trenin/McCarron

D and G the same as you have above.

It's the lineup of a fringe playoff team at best, but the Preds have historically over achieved when they've looked weak on paper and faltered when they have any expectations put upon them. They're a total dice roll right now.
villenash liked this.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 10:03 a.m.
I think that NSH had plans to go in a younger direction, but I think covid sped that up a bit. With potentially an internal budget, they really have no choice but to let the kids play.

But for the moves they made this off-season, I think the majority have been positive. The UFAs are all fine signings (though I know Cousins to some extent personally and do not like the guy, so I wish NSH didn't sign him). I like the vet center signing of Richardson as a 12/13th forward and the 3rd D pair is much better than last year. I'm also ok with the Bonino trade if Kunin can step up. I really liked Bonino on this team and would gladly sign him as a 4C moving forward if it came to that. However, the buyout of Turris is a bad move that did not need to happen this season with all the extra cap space -- 8 years at $2m is insane... Smith walking was an inevitability of our prospects and depth finally improving and fighting for ice time. Granlund was just an unfortunate situation that didn't work for either team. Though I would still take him back on a 1 or 2 year deal if it's reasonable. It does seem like NSH is set now though; maybe we'll see a Hoffman or Palat or Killorn, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree with @gmgb for the most part on lines. I do think Duchene/Forsberg and Johansen/Arvidsson should be tried and see if that can work for the top 6. The more I look at Sissons in the top 6 there, the more interested I get actually -- a Forsberg - Duchene - Sissons like could have potential. Sissons could be the grinder and defensive guy on that line. While I don't think these will be the lines, I think these would be interesting:

Forsberg - Duchene - Sissons
Tolvanen - Johansen - Arvidsson
Jarnkrok - Tomasino - Kunin
Trenin/Cousins - Richardson - Grimaldi

Or if Tomasino really shines, swap him and Sissons -- or Kunin too. It's tough to know what to do with Grimaldi honestly. I don't like him or Jarnkrok on the 4th line, but someone has to be there...

And I agree on your D pairs and goalies. It'll be interesting to see if the NHL does a 5 player taxi squad or something and whether Ingram will be on it. He may get some time to play this year too if that's the case.

Ultimately, I don't think this is a playoff team in a normal season -- but this season will be anything but normal! If the rumored divisions are true for next season, I think they'll have a better shot though -- TBL - CAR - CBJ - NSH - FLA - MIN - CHI - DET. That's how I see the division standings ending up, and they've said the top 4 make the playoffs -- so I guess they're a playoff team?? Lol -- we'll see, but they're definitely getting some help by being in that division.
gmgb liked this.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 1:12 p.m.
@villenash I agree about Jarnkrok and Grimaldi on the 4th line. It's not an ideal spot for either player, but injuries are bound to happen. They should both get some time playing a line or two higher than that.

FWIW, I've been hearing that DAL will be in the division, and MIN goes out west with the California teams. Not sure if that changes your predicted standings.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 6:55 p.m.
Quoting: gmgb
@villenash I agree about Jarnkrok and Grimaldi on the 4th line. It's not an ideal spot for either player, but injuries are bound to happen. They should both get some time playing a line or two higher than that.

FWIW, I've been hearing that DAL will be in the division, and MIN goes out west with the California teams. Not sure if that changes your predicted standings.

Although I think DAL will be underwhelming next season, they may be ahead of NSH. So in that case, NSH could on the outside looking in.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 6:57 p.m.
Edit: double post

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll