Forums/Armchair-GM

With The Season Now In Sight

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2020-21 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 20, 2020
Published: Dec. 20, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Overall, we're still a solid team. I'll predict 4th in the East behind PHI, NYR and WSH. This could definitely be the fall back year and with that in mind, I'm glad we didn't trade the 1st. If we can get Lee going again consistently, as well as some of the young guys more acclimated to the NHL, I think this team could be back to being a real contender. But yeah, when we take a step back and really look at things, I think we lost something we had the last two years, at least on paper maybe. Maybe LL has another trick up his sleeve....

Taxi Squad: Dal Colle, Bellows, Ladd, Hickey, Vande Sompel, Schneider
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$7,250,000
1$725,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$77,888,334$0$1,075,000$3,611,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 20, 2020 at 11:45 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Taxi squad?
Dec. 20, 2020 at 11:47 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Gmonwy
Taxi squad?

It's in the description, didn't want to confuse it with Boychuk actually being on LTIR
Dec. 20, 2020 at 11:47 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
It's in the description, didn't want to confuse it with Boychuk actually being on LTIR

Sorry didn't see that
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
Dec. 20, 2020 at 11:48 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Gmonwy
Sorry didn't see that

No problem at all
Dec. 21, 2020 at 12:04 a.m.
Isles7
Edited Dec. 21, 2020 at 12:13 a.m.
The only way I see them regressing as a team (which is possible) is if they bury wahlstrom and only give dobson 12-14 min a night while giving leddy/mayfield an increased role. If Leddy/mayfield are playing 20 min a night and brassard/komarov are on the 3rd line instead of younger players with upside, they might be in trouble - but more likely they'll get bailed out by sorokin/varlamov and lou/trotz will continue to think they can win with a bunch of grinders.

Basically it comes down to Lou/trotz getting out of their own way. Play the kids.

Beauvillier is due for a big breakout season. Isles fans are always signing Hoffman and putting him with barzal, but beau is a much better fit. Extremely underrated and has the the shot and high end hockey IQ to compliment barzal.

Are you assuming there won't be an AHL season with that Taxi squad?
Dec. 21, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Isles777
The only way I see them regressing as a team (which is possible) is if they bury wahlstrom and only give dobson 12-14 min a night while giving leddy/mayfield an increased role. If Leddy/mayfield are playing 20 min a night and brassard/komarov are on the 3rd line instead of younger players with upside, they might be in trouble - but more likely they'll get bailed out by sorokin/varlamov and lou/trotz will continue to think they can win with a bunch of grinders.

Basically it comes down to Lou/trotz getting out of their own way. Play the kids.

Beauvillier is due for a big breakout season. Isles fans are always signing Hoffman and putting him with barzal, but beau is a much better fit. Extremely underrated and has the the shot and high end hockey IQ to compliment barzal.

Are you assuming there won't be an AHL season with that Taxi squad?

I'll be honest, I'm not totally sure how the taxi squad is supposed to look. I was under the impression it would basically be more healthy scratches that didn't count against the cap, but had to clear waivers. Bellows and MVS don't need waivers, the rest would clear (or be replaced easily). I just put 6 guys who I thought could hold their own if pressed into duty (so not Holmstrom, Wilde, Skarek, etc.).

Agree with you on Beau, think he's ready for a big year. Crossing my fingers he gets some more time with Barzal but him and Nelson are pretty solid too, so not the end of the world if 27 is with 13 and 18 with 29.

I think we're gonna see Dobson in a more limited role to start the season. Ease him in and then move him up as he gets more experience. They seem pretty committed to Dobson, so as long as they don't get bored with him, I'll trust however they deploy him. That said, if he plays with Dobson that might not be the worst idea. Dobson is pretty mature for his age; thought he looked good in Game 6 and had pretty good results during the regular season. Maybe he could even elevate Leddy's offensive play by being a steady presence actually capable of playing good defense (unlike Boychuk was). But with all the praise Leddy got, combined with their attitude toward unproven entities, I doubt they start the season together.
Isles777 liked this.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 12:35 a.m.
Isles7
I'll be honest, I'm not totally sure how the taxi squad is supposed to look. I was under the impression it would basically be more healthy scratches that didn't count against the cap, but had to clear waivers. Bellows and MVS don't need waivers, the rest would clear (or be replaced easily). I just put 6 guys who I thought could hold their own if pressed into duty (so not Holmstrom, Wilde, Skarek, etc.).

Agree with you on Beau, think he's ready for a big year. Crossing my fingers he gets some more time with Barzal but him and Nelson are pretty solid too, so not the end of the world if 27 is with 13 and 18 with 29.

I think we're gonna see Dobson in a more limited role to start the season. Ease him in and then move him up as he gets more experience. They seem pretty committed to Dobson, so as long as they don't get bored with him, I'll trust however they deploy him. That said, if he plays with Dobson that might not be the worst idea. Dobson is pretty mature for his age; thought he looked good in Game 6 and had pretty good results during the regular season. Maybe he could even elevate Leddy's offensive play by being a steady presence actually capable of playing good defense (unlike Boychuk was). But with all the praise Leddy got, combined with their attitude toward unproven entities, I doubt they start the season together.

I would rather have bellows and MVS playing in the AHL instead of the taxi squad, especially MVS who hasn't played in a while. A lot of scouts thought he would have gotten in a few NHL games last season if he didn't get injured.

Yeah its not the end of the world, but the isles go as barzal goes. Giving him a shooting threat like beau would go a long way.

In a SSS, leddy-dobson had a 66% xGf% so I think dobson can elevate his play. The problem with Leddy is that he has a low hockey iQ and can't generate offense in Trotz system, he needs a D partner that process the game at a high level. I think there's a chance greene-dobson becomes the 2nd pairing, and Leddy-mayfield becomes the new "leddy-boychuk" liability pairing.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 11:57 a.m.
My guess is we hover just above Wild Card qualification, 4th or 5th in the East, until the TDL comes, then we trade either a prospect and an expendable player (Sorokin could make Varlamov obsolete) for a winger for Barzal. There were so many 1 year deals this offseason, I’d bet Lou is planning on trading for one of those guys once that team falls out of playoff contention.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
ALjet12
Does Wahlstrom have a shot to be a regular in the lineup or is he going to be in and out sporadically?I know the organization still needs him to improve his defensive game.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 5:14 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Hawkisles
My guess is we hover just above Wild Card qualification, 4th or 5th in the East, until the TDL comes, then we trade either a prospect and an expendable player (Sorokin could make Varlamov obsolete) for a winger for Barzal. There were so many 1 year deals this offseason, I’d bet Lou is planning on trading for one of those guys once that team falls out of playoff contention.

Trading Varlamov for a forward would be great, but it's gotta be the right deal. Assuming Sorokin comes in and is amazing, we'll be paying a lot for our goaltending in the coming years, so trading Varly getting a replacement backup for cheap is definitely something they should look into when the time is right. I doubt they trade him this year, just because having two awesome goalies is always a strength, but I do agree that should be a priority.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 5:17 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: ALjet12
Does Wahlstrom have a shot to be a regular in the lineup or is he going to be in and out sporadically?I know the organization still needs him to improve his defensive game.

Realistically, probably the latter, although he did look good in his 9 games this season; both the eye test and the analytics confirm that. I really hope they just give him part of the season to just play and see where he's at. They desperately need the skills that he does have, even if the rest of his game isn't perfect yet.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
Isles7
Trading Varlamov for a forward would be great, but it's gotta be the right deal. Assuming Sorokin comes in and is amazing, we'll be paying a lot for our goaltending in the coming years, so trading Varly getting a replacement backup for cheap is definitely something they should look into when the time is right. I doubt they trade him this year, just because having two awesome goalies is always a strength, but I do agree that should be a priority.

One of sorokins closest comparables (from Byron Bader hockey prospecting model) is....dominik hasek. Sorokin seems like the the kinds of goaltender that can carry a team, so assuming that happens they should trade varlamov next offseason and sign someone like Arron dell, I think korn can work his magic with any fringe NHL goaltender.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 5:38 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: ALjet12

Wahlstrom was good defensively when he was up with isles. When Lou/trotz send a kid down to the the AHL it’s because they’d rather have vets in the lineup
Dec. 21, 2020 at 10:56 p.m.

I’ve been wondering if Lou brought in Schneider for that reason. Keep the declining goalie a pair of great coaches to give him a facelift, then come TDL, he’s ready to at least be back up.

Granted, I don’t think any of this is a good idea, but I’ve been wondering how Schneider fits in to Lou’s plan.
Dec. 21, 2020 at 11:25 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Hawkisles
I’ve been wondering if Lou brought in Schneider for that reason. Keep the declining goalie a pair of great coaches to give him a facelift, then come TDL, he’s ready to at least be back up.

Granted, I don’t think any of this is a good idea, but I’ve been wondering how Schneider fits in to Lou’s plan.

That's an interesting idea. If they could fix him, he's definitely a low cost asset worth holding onto.

I think everyone is being required to carry three goalies this year (I believe I read that somewhere). Between the shortened schedule and the increased chance of injury or a positive Covid test, you're gonna want a serviceable number 3 on hand. Schneider is nowhere close to what he once was, but he can step in and play decent if called upon I think

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll