SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Philadelphia Flyers

Philadelphia Flyers 2021 season preview

Dec. 23, 2020 at 9:37 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
After losing Niskanen and adding Gustafsson, the Flyers are looking to continue their progression.

I'll start with their goaltending. Hart is simply amazing and will IMO be in Vezina conversation for a decade and a 1/3, starting in 2021. Elliott is an ok backup, nothing special, but he does his job well. IMO this is probably one of his final seasons playing in the NHL.

The defense is fascinating. Provorov and Sanaheim are great, IMO this is one of the more underrated top 2 d-men in the league. They can really do a bit of everything, from defending, to supporting the offense, to hit, to skate, etc. After this it gets weaker. I like Myers. As someone who lives in Quebec City and who saw him play for a few seasons in the Q I'm really hppy for him but I'M not sure he's ready to take on Niskanen like minutes. I actually don't think he ever will. I think he's a number 4, no more no less. Gustafsson was added and honestly, I like this move. If Provorov was to miss some time, he could play PP minutes. After this Braun, Ghost and Hagg complete this d-core. IMO they could use a guy like Vatanen while moving Ghost but that's just me.

Their offense is very good. Couturier, Hayes, Konecny, Giroux, Voracek, JVR, Farabee, Lindblom and Frost re together a strong top nine that can do a bit of everything. I'M really high on Frost and am looking forward to see his progression. Nothing more to see here.

Here's how I'd build their lineup:
Lindbolm-Couturier-Konecny
Giroux-Hayes-Voracek
JVR-Frost-Farabee

Provorov-Myers
Sanheim-Gustafsson
Ghost-Braun

Hart-Elliott

@Hammerwise
@Lights
Lights and Hammerwise liked this.
Dec. 23, 2020 at 10:13 a.m.
Jinx god
I know I'm not a flyers fan but, I already practiced with Myers at his hometown. He's not a number 4 he's gonna be a number 2 imo. His progress, work ethic and determination will help him immensely him his way to be a number 2 dman.
Dec. 23, 2020 at 6:53 p.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
After losing Niskanen and adding Gustafsson, the Flyers are looking to continue their progression.

I'll start with their goaltending. Hart is simply amazing and will IMO be in Vezina conversation for a decade and a 1/3, starting in 2021. Elliott is an ok backup, nothing special, but he does his job well. IMO this is probably one of his final seasons playing in the NHL.

The defense is fascinating. Provorov and Sanaheim are great, IMO this is one of the more underrated top 2 d-men in the league. They can really do a bit of everything, from defending, to supporting the offense, to hit, to skate, etc. After this it gets weaker. I like Myers. As someone who lives in Quebec City and who saw him play for a few seasons in the Q I'm really hppy for him but I'M not sure he's ready to take on Niskanen like minutes. I actually don't think he ever will. I think he's a number 4, no more no less. Gustafsson was added and honestly, I like this move. If Provorov was to miss some time, he could play PP minutes. After this Braun, Ghost and Hagg complete this d-core. IMO they could use a guy like Vatanen while moving Ghost but that's just me.

Their offense is very good. Couturier, Hayes, Konecny, Giroux, Voracek, JVR, Farabee, Lindblom and Frost re together a strong top nine that can do a bit of everything. I'M really high on Frost and am looking forward to see his progression. Nothing more to see here.

Here's how I'd build their lineup:
Lindbolm-Couturier-Konecny
Giroux-Hayes-Voracek
JVR-Frost-Farabee

Provorov-Myers
Sanheim-Gustafsson
Ghost-Braun

Hart-Elliott

@Hammerwise
@Lights

Pretty good assessment overall. The only real question has to do with the D core I agree, as replacing Nisky will be tough since he played really well last season. I think we'll shuffle up the d core a lot this season.
Hammerwise liked this.
Dec. 24, 2020 at 4:51 a.m.
Yes p[retty good assessment. It'll be interesting to see what they do, they've got about 2 mil in cap space with 23 skaters, and Id like to see them move Ghost (his value will not increase with 3rd pairing minutes), and them grab a Hamonic or Vatanen from UFA.

Provorov is 1LD, rumours are that Sanheim might move to 1RD, or Gus, or a UFA like Vatanen or Hamonic, who knows. But overall those 7 dmen with a capable Hagg as 7th and rookie Zamula or Friedman as callups.

The flyers are so deep at forward, as you've said they have 9 guys who should/could play top 6 (with JVR, Farabee and Patrick probably getting 3rd line minutes) and a really quality 4th line of Raffl-Laughton-NAK who could all move up in case of injuries, with callups like Allison, Bunnamon and Sandin.

With Gus, Elliot, Raffl, Laughton (8.4mil) expiring and only Sanheim and Hart to resign (currently 4mil), theres no cap issues or urgency to move JVR or Ghost.

Overall you can look at last season two ways: 1. the team that caught fire in late December and challenged for 1st overall in the east and won the round robin with the offense and defense playing outstanding OR 2. the team that had a misfiring/lost offense/bad PP in the playoffs, who seemed to only have 2-3 defensemen of quality.

I would expect a dog fight in the new division, but I don't think the Pens, NYR have the depth and quality throughout the lineup, especially in a shortened season with 3-4 games a week, EVERY week. I predict lots of injuries, nagging 3-5 game injuries, that will require depth AND a bit of cap space, and so therefore the Flyers are well poised, (maybe not teams like TOR or TB that have no cap space)
Theres two ways of looking at last year

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll