Forums/Armchair-GM

Just sign these guys- D upgrades

Created by: MisstheWhalers
Team: 2020-21 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 25, 2020
Published: Dec. 25, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Is this defense not better than it is now?

Added Hamonic, Koekkoek and Hutton to realistic deals and signed Bowey who's from Winnipeg for the taxi squad, can't see these guys finding much better deals at this point.

Leave Heinola in Finland, big minutes over there and sliding his ELC are best for all involved, Samberg plays in the AHL this season which is where he should start his pro career, no need to rush either of these guys.

Roslovic signs a two year bridge deal, the 2015 line is reunited with Roslo at center to be the offensive 3rd line this team has needed for years, Perreault swaps in for Appleton or Harkins if either isn't producing.

Is this defense not better then it is right now, I get that it isn't high end but it's gotta be at least average and has some NHL quality depth should injuries occur.

Am I crazy to think Chevy should sign all of these dmen I signed here? These guys just cost money not precious 5th round draft picks that Chevy is loath to part with... 😃

All opinions welcome but let's keep them constructive, thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

*Credit to whoever posted this idea first, think it was an Isles fan, I'm just expanding on it a bit.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,100,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,750,000
1$825,000
1$825,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,076,191$0$0$3,423,809
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 4
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 2
RW, LW
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 25, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
That's a lot of internal competition for the bottom pairing spots
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
bunzy1034 liked this.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: SevenLeg
That's a lot of internal competition for the bottom pairing spots

I know but why not, I think for me it's having bottom pairing guys that can at least move up if an injury happens, Hamonic may not be the player he once was but I think I'd trust him in the top 4 more then I would Poolman.
SevenLeg liked this.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 5:16 p.m.
Jetsfan
Forget Koekkoek... Beaulieu is better...Hutton had a decent year last year playing 2LD on a crappy team...I wouldn't mind him

As for Heinola, I would wait until after the WJC. If he plays well, I can see him staying
arafay liked this.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Jetman
Forget Koekkoek... Beaulieu is better...Hutton had a decent year last year playing 2LD on a crappy team...I wouldn't mind him

As for Heinola, I would wait until after the WJC. If he plays well, I can see him staying

Sorry Jetman I forgot to @ you, Merry Christmas!

Hawks fans have given pretty good reviews of Koekkoek and he's a former 1st round pick of TB so I figure why not, I'm a believer in taking flyers on guys with pedigree, I like Beaulieu though, he has been pretty solid for the Jets.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 5:37 p.m.
@MisstheWhalers The only guy I personally would bother with is Hamonic. The rest are probably the same level as the bottom pairing guys we currently have, so I don't see much point to it, but it's only money and there isn't really a downside.

I do agree with your point about pedigree, so I wouldn't be opposed to Hutton or Koekkoek either as you never know. If we could get one or two years out of one of them where they play slightly over their heads, it would give more time for Samberg and Heinola.

These are definitely the kind of deals the Jets would likely look at rather than the trade route.
MisstheWhalers and arafay liked this.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 6:04 p.m.
Merry Christmas! I like this scenario, heinola could use another year and samberg could use a year in the ahl. I like this a lot, I would be more than okay with this happened. I think you’re crazy to think Chevy would do this.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 6:56 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: tsyls
Merry Christmas! I like this scenario, heinola could use another year and samberg could use a year in the ahl. I like this a lot, I would be more than okay with this happened. I think you’re crazy to think Chevy would do this.

Merry Christmas, thanks for the input!

Maybe I'm expecting too much from Chevy idk, I do like the Forbort signing and the return of Beaulieu and Sbisa but if the team plays well I'd hate to see the season fall apart cause they didn't have some reinforcement on defense when there were guys available for free, gawd knows the injury bug will hit the Jets D core at some point.

This will sound contradictory but if some injuries hit I would at least look forward to seeing what Niku, Stanley or whoever else gets the call could do.

Ultimately unless there's a Laine or Roslovic trade I think the Jets are done with this lineup.
tsyls liked this.
Dec. 25, 2020 at 8:41 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Taxi squad system, I would 100 percent do this and have the 10 healthy dman to start over the usual 8, what is the story with the ahl and that level are they mirroring nhl season. If it’s taxi squad for the season, I would prefer the scenario of giving samberg and heinola as much ice as they can handle and not overly worry about the competition they are facing. Any dman other than morrissey, pionk, samberg, and heinola, I dont see on the squad 3 or 4 years out, possibly demelo. But I like the idea to situate samberg and heinola somewhere and leave them there and give them the best chance to have a strong confident year and see them in september. I might move hamonic right up to top 4 and play him with pionk, and other 6 guys battle for bottom pair minutes and special team scraps. I’m biased towards a poolman/niku battle on rhd and not sure on sbisa/forbert, but another bias on beaulieu, so possibly not sold on adding much more than a hamonic if it’s cheap and willing to play lhd with pionk
Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:06 a.m.
I like it but I think it’s overdoing it by a little bit. If you sign hamonic and Hutton, you don’t sign keokkoek imo. I’m a strong believer in that heinola will make the team. With a hamonic and Hutton signing, I would do something like:

JoMo-demelo
Hutton-pionk
Heinola-hamonic
Forbort-niku
Beaulieu-sbisa

I would move poolman if we sign hamonic because him not being a regular seems like a waste to me.

As for Samberg, I think he gets a year in the A so he can develop his offensive game before being thrown into a defensive role in the nhl
Dec. 26, 2020 at 1:01 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: arafay
I like it but I think it’s overdoing it by a little bit. If you sign hamonic and Hutton, you don’t sign keokkoek imo. I’m a strong believer in that heinola will make the team. With a hamonic and Hutton signing, I would do something like:

JoMo-demelo
Hutton-pionk
Heinola-hamonic
Forbort-niku
Beaulieu-sbisa

I would move poolman if we sign hamonic because him not being a regular seems like a waste to me.

As for Samberg, I think he gets a year in the A so he can develop his offensive game before being thrown into a defensive role in the nhl

It probably is overdoing it a bit but idk, just view these guys as some insurance against injury which is sure to happen, sounds like Edmonton has signed Koekkoek so that takes him off the list, Chevy's not likely signing anyone else anyway.

I like Poolman but he's fragile, if one of DeMelo or Pionk gets hurt who's stepping into the top 4, I'd trust Hamonic in that role more then I would Poolman, would be great to see Niku given the chance but I think the coaching staff has made up their minds with him unfortunately. Same thinking on the left side, if an injury happens to Morrissey I'd trust Hutton or Koekkoek in the top 4 more then Beaulieu though he has stepped up when needed, I'm sure Forbort will be fine on the 2nd pair but if Morrissey got hurt then who's moving up, I'd probably trust a Hutton or Koekkoek up there more then Forbort or Beaulieu.

I know Heinola is doing well but I honestly think sliding his ELC another year so it expires the same time as Wheeler and Schiefele is the best move for the Jets long term, I see no need to rush the little Finn or Samberg.

Anywho thanks for the feedback and Merry Christmas, I'm sure Chevy is done anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there to see what others thought of adding some more cheap UFA dmen, cheers!
arafay liked this.
Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Birtle34
Taxi squad system, I would 100 percent do this and have the 10 healthy dman to start over the usual 8, what is the story with the ahl and that level are they mirroring nhl season. If it’s taxi squad for the season, I would prefer the scenario of giving samberg and heinola as much ice as they can handle and not overly worry about the competition they are facing. Any dman other than morrissey, pionk, samberg, and heinola, I dont see on the squad 3 or 4 years out, possibly demelo. But I like the idea to situate samberg and heinola somewhere and leave them there and give them the best chance to have a strong confident year and see them in september. I might move hamonic right up to top 4 and play him with pionk, and other 6 guys battle for bottom pair minutes and special team scraps. I’m biased towards a poolman/niku battle on rhd and not sure on sbisa/forbert, but another bias on beaulieu, so possibly not sold on adding much more than a hamonic if it’s cheap and willing to play lhd with pionk

I read a piece in the Free Press a little while ago about Niku, he's stayed in Winnipeg, has been training and is now close to 200 lbs, will be interesting to see how he does now with another 15-20 lbs of weight/muscle on his frame, if he can defend better now maybe he can still be an option for the Jets if Maurice gives him a chance.

My thought with these signings is they're legit NHL dmen that I think have more top 4 potential then most of the guys the Jets currently have, if one of Pionk or Morrissey get injured I'd trust one of Hutton, Hamonic or Koekkoek stepping up more then Beaulieu, Poolman or Forbort though I do think they're decent players to have, sounds like Edmonton has signed Koekkoek though so can scratch him off the list.

I really think the AHL is the best place for Samberg especially after the cap accident he was in and sliding Heinola's ELC another year would be very beneficial for the Jets in the long term plus the kid is tiny, let him stay at home and grow for another year before bringing him over, that's what I think they should do but I'm sure they'll bring him back over to North America, if they slide his ELC another year Heinola's contract will expire the same year as Wheeler and Schiefeles deals do which could be good timing, Heinola needing a raise and $14M worth of cap space opening up....

In the end I think unless there's a Laine or Roslovic trade(I hope neither are traded!!) I think Chevy's done with this lineup and what we see is what we get.
Thanks for the feedback and Merry Christmas!!
Birtle34 liked this.
Dec. 30, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
I dont mind the idea. Lots of bottom pairing bodies IMO battling to bottom pairing minutes.
I like the idea of Hamonic and Bowey (for the taxi squad), but I wanna see what Heinola and Samberg have to offer. If these guys are ready and are better options than the guys the jets have or the guys you mentioned, i'd rather see their development, even at the expense of this year. It's a weird, hopefully one off, year
Dec. 30, 2020 at 11:01 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: masterjuddi
I dont mind the idea. Lots of bottom pairing bodies IMO battling to bottom pairing minutes.
I like the idea of Hamonic and Bowey (for the taxi squad), but I wanna see what Heinola and Samberg have to offer. If these guys are ready and are better options than the guys the jets have or the guys you mentioned, i'd rather see their development, even at the expense of this year. It's a weird, hopefully one off, year

Normally I'd probably be saying 'play the kids' but this season I really think they should sign a couple more veterans for a few reasons.

-Let Heinola stay in Finland, get big minutes and let his ELC slide, if they did that his ELC will end the same time as $14M in cap space opens up when Wheeler and Schiefele become UFA's....
-Samberg probably needs to start in a less pressure filled situation after the car accident, the AHL is where he should start and others should get a callup ahead of him.
-Really think they could use a couple more veteran voices in the room and Hamonic is a good guy apparently, think his leadership could definitely be used cause the captain isn't liked by many.
-Hutton and Hamonic could proably handle top 4 minutes better than Poolman, Beaulieu, etc should it be required due to injury.

Anyway that's my thinking/reasoning as to why I think they should sign these guys, thanks for the feedback.. 👍
masterjuddi liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll