Forums/Armchair-GM

Lets look at next season

Created by: Wildwinswhen
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 26, 2020
Published: Dec. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Wild keep everyone and protect 8-1. Greenway gets selected by the Kraken.

I don't know. I kind of like the looks of this team, but I'm worried that we'll get pushed around with all the kids on the team. I still think we need a #1 center, but I didn't see any 21 UFAs at the Center position I wanted to chase. There's RNH and Stasny, but I'm not sold on having either right now.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,000,000
4$5,500,000
3$4,500,000
3$2,300,000
3$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
LW, Random
2$2,500,000
Trades
MIN
    Not the Ducks, the Kraken select him.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$64,845,834$0$750,000$16,654,166
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    C
    RFA - 4
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,300,000$2,300,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    LW, Random
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $7,575,000$7,575,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $3,666,667$3,666,667
    G
    UFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $785,000$785,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    D
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 1:34 p.m.
    Obviously, like you mentioned, a #1 C would be really helpful for this team, but another area where I would've liked to see them be more aggressive is goaltending. Talbot can hopefully work out, and I don't think he was a terrible bet to make, but I think they really could've benefitted from a sure fire starter. They're an elite defensive team, but due to sorta 'meh' goaltending the last few years, what should be their biggest strength hasn't really been that advantageous.
    Wildwinswhen, TanSor and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
    Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
    Obviously, like you mentioned, a #1 C would be really helpful for this team, but another area where I would've liked to see them be more aggressive is goaltending. Talbot can hopefully work out, and I don't think he was a terrible bet to make, but I think they really could've benefitted from a sure fire starter. They're an elite defensive team, but due to sorta 'meh' goaltending the last few years, what should be their biggest strength hasn't really been that advantageous.

I agree on goalie being a likely need. But if we had average goaltending last year we'd have been a top 5 team in GAA. The problem was too many soft goals. If Talbot can lock that down, we're good for now.

We don't have anyone in the system who can step in. I'm not a believer in Kaponen any more. So, we'd have to look at UFA. There's Tukka Rask, Raanti, and Grubauer available, but I wouldn't want to buyout Talbot for them.

I don't know. The most likely addition would be a trade for a C1, but I just don't see it happening.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
    Edited Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
    I wouldn't want to trade for him but I'd like the idea of signing Danault if it's a reasonable contract. Otherwise just save the cap this offseason and hope Barkov leaves Florida and wants to come here the next offseason (long shot).

I still think this forward core needs like 2-3 more impact players. Hopefully we can land a top 10/lottery pick and grab another good forward next year or use Dumba to trade for a good young player.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:22 p.m.
    Quoting: Wildwinswhen
    I agree on goalie being a likely need. But if we had average goaltending last year we'd have been a top 5 team in GAA. The problem was too many soft goals. If Talbot can lock that down, we're good for now.

We don't have anyone in the system who can step in. I'm not a believer in Kaponen any more. So, we'd have to look at UFA. There's Tukka Rask, Raanti, and Grubauer available, but I wouldn't want to buyout Talbot for them.

I don't know. The most likely addition would be a trade for a C1, but I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, that's the thing. I wouldn't want an 'if'. I would've done absolutely everything I could to get a legit starter. Talbot may regain that form, and hopefully he does, I just would've preferred more of a sure thing (wouldn't be surprised if Kuemper could be had, and with Minny's draft capital and Arizona's lack thereof, there may be a deal there), because I really think Minnesota has an opportunity here.

When you look at the last 3 years, Minnesota finishes #1 in the league in 5v5 xGA over that span and in each of those seasons individually; at all strengths, they finish 2nd in each individual season and 1st over that span. They're edging out some elite company. Multiple Cup winners or finalists or perennial contenders are surrounding them, yet Minnesota sits at the top. Where the wheels come off the tracks is at actual goals against. Those teams beat out Minnesota in that area, because they're getting the necessary stops. If Talbot can give them those stops, then that's fantastic, I just would've prioritized it more than they seemed to.
    Wildwinswhen and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
    Edited Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:43 p.m.
    Quoting: TanSor
    I wouldn't want to trade for him but I'd like the idea of signing Danault if it's a reasonable contract. Otherwise just save the cap this offseason and hope Barkov leaves Florida and wants to come here the next offseason (long shot).

I still think this forward core needs like 2-3 more impact players. Hopefully we can land a top 10/lottery pick and grab another good forward next year or use Dumba to trade for a good young player.

I also like Danault for this team. Great play driver and doesn't disrupt the defensive proficiency of the team.

Edit: Also think Pittsburgh is gonna be shaking their head over the draft pick they gave you, just saying.
    TanSor, Wildwinswhen and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
    I also like Danault for this team. Great play driver and doesn't disrupt the defensive proficiency of the team.

Edit: Also think Pittsburgh is gonna be shaking their head over the draft pick they gave you, just saying.

I'm with you, I think Pittsburgh is a great candidate to have a poor year with Crosby and Malkin only getting older. Time will tell but if I were Pittsburgh I would have surrendered the pick last draft.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 2:53 p.m.
    I'm with you, I think Pittsburgh is a great candidate to have a poor year with Crosby and Malkin only getting older. Time will tell but if I were Pittsburgh I would have surrendered the pick last draft.

Especially with the division realignment. Four teams make it, four teams are in the lottery, and I could easily see Pittsburgh missing out in that division. I suppose the argument is that this upcoming draft is weaker, but I don't think that matters so much if the lottery balls come up the right way.
    Wildwinswhen, TanSor and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.

If we could get Danault for 4-5MM and shave some money off my predictions above and/or buyout Rask, then I'd really like to see that. I missed him in the predicted UFA list or I would have proposed something like that.

I don't think that we can afford Barkov unless we trade away Dumba or convince Zuccarello to waive his NMC and get someone to take him. So I'm guessing that Barkov won't be here.

But how much better does this team look if we go Danault/Barkov - Rossi - JEEK - Sturm down the middle?!!! Now that would be fun.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 3:43 p.m.
    If we could get Danault for 4-5MM and shave some money off my predictions above and/or buyout Rask, then I'd really like to see that. I missed him in the predicted UFA list or I would have proposed something like that.

I don't think that we can afford Barkov unless we trade away Dumba or convince Zuccarello to waive his NMC and get someone to take him. So I'm guessing that Barkov won't be here.

But how much better does this team look if we go Danault/Barkov - Rossi - JEEK - Sturm down the middle?!!! Now that would be fun.

Yep a Barkov deal would involve moving Dumba in a separate trade (maybe a 3 way deal) to clear cap, but we could also buy out Rask, let Hartman walk, and sign a league minimum LW instead of the $2.5M 4th line LW you have here. The flat cap has so far shown a shift in the demand curve for the market, I'd be pretty surprised if teams are willing to pay much more than $2M for 4th liners/depth D. It's still a long shot but 27 year old selke centers that can score at PPG rates don't hit the market very often and Barkov just might. Otherwise there's a ton of other intriguing options in that free agency class.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 4:01 p.m.
    Yep a Barkov deal would involve moving Dumba in a separate trade (maybe a 3 way deal) to clear cap, but we could also buy out Rask, let Hartman walk, and sign a league minimum LW instead of the $2.5M 4th line LW you have here. The flat cap has so far shown a shift in the demand curve for the market, I'd be pretty surprised if teams are willing to pay much more than $2M for 4th liners/depth D. It's still a long shot but 27 year old selke centers that can score at PPG rates don't hit the market very often and Barkov just might. Otherwise there's a ton of other intriguing options in that free agency class.

Are you really willing to wait until that class, though? A lot can happen in two years and I think the iron for Minnesota is pretty hot right now... I'd be gearing up if it were me.
    Wildwinswhen liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 4:07 p.m.

My 2.5M LW was based on what we're paying for Hartman and Foligno. Old guy difference makers like them still cost those kind of prices. I wouldn't want a league minimum bruiser on this team. It's not our identity.

We'll see how this goes, but it's going to be tricky to make any adds here.
    TanSor liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 4:07 p.m.
    Are you really willing to wait until that class, though? A lot can happen in two years and I think the iron for Minnesota is pretty hot right now... I'd be gearing up if it were me.

I don't really see us getting anywhere with this current group. I think we're a couple years out yet from being legitimate contenders
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 5:05 p.m.
    I don't really see us getting anywhere with this current group. I think we're a couple years out yet from being legitimate contenders

Guess I'm just high on them. I think the biggest thing holding them back is goaltending, and yeah, some extra help up front (particularly at C) would be beneficial, but if Fiala can repeat and Kaprizov makes an impact, I really don't think they're that far off. Elite, elite defensive team, though I suppose that may be subject to change with a full season under a new coach (I personally would've kept Boudreau).
    OldNYIfan, Wildwinswhen and TanSor liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
    Danualt is who I'm looking for as a UFA next year. I have no concerns with our prospect goalies being ready this year or next so I'm glad they didn't make a trade or sign a $6m UFA goalie this offseason.

Mennell signed a 2 year KHL contract, so he won't be available for MN to sign next year. I really want him on the team.

I still think Rossi was a bad pick. I hope he proves me wrong.
    OldNYIfan and Wildwinswhen liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 6:01 p.m.
    Quoting: wabit
    Danualt is who I'm looking for as a UFA next year. I have no concerns with our prospect goalies being ready this year or next so I'm glad they didn't make a trade or sign a $6m UFA goalie this offseason.

Mennell signed a 2 year KHL contract, so he won't be available for MN to sign next year. I really want him on the team.

I still think Rossi was a bad pick. I hope he proves me wrong.

Menell doesn't have a two year contract.
    Wildwinswhen liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 6:20 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too

Jake Allen, Braden Holtby and Anton Khudobin will almost certainly be made available to Seattle by their teams (unless Ben Bishop doesn't recover or Thatcher Demko busts out), so there is the possibility that the Kraken could draft all three and flip one. Just something to keep in mind.
    Wildwinswhen and TanSor liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Given the pressure of the expansion draft and the surplus of young, inexpensive LWs Anaheim has, keep the Ducks in mind instead of signing someone for $2.5 million to fill out the bottom 6.
    TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
    Dec. 26, 2020 at 6:36 p.m.

Danault as the 1C looks pretty bad.

Zuccarello's NMC also becomes a 10-team NTC on July 1, 2022.
    Dec. 27, 2020 at 4:53 a.m.
    Quoting: Caerii
    Danault as the 1C looks pretty bad.

Zuccarello's NMC also becomes a 10-team NTC on July 1, 2022.

Zuccarello having a sunset on his NMC is the best hockey news I've heard all year
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Dec. 27, 2020 at 5:36 a.m.
    Zuccarello having a sunset on his NMC is the best hockey news I've heard all year

He still has the NMC, but the 10 team no-trade will be hard to get around with the flat cap. He has a signing bonus heavy contract and it's back heavy for salary. MN is stuck with him.
    TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
    Dec. 27, 2020 at 9:59 p.m.
    Honestly, you guys are the best. It's conversations like these that make me love this site.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Dec. 27, 2020 at 10:18 p.m.
    Quoting: wabit
    He still has the NMC, but the 10 team no-trade will be hard to get around with the flat cap. He has a signing bonus heavy contract and it's back heavy for salary. MN is stuck with him.

With retains, he'd at least be tradable

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll