Forums/Armchair-GM

Pens trade Blues

Created by: PGHBOB69
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 28, 2020
Published: Dec. 28, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Penguins get the help they need on the Right side and right handed shots. Although I hate trading Lafferty, one of the only Penguins that takes Face-Offs from the right side, right handed shot. But adding Sundqvist helps that situation.

I don’t know if the Pens want him back but he seems like JR’s type of 3rd line Center/RW. Big, two-way player that chips in scoring some.

Pens trade their top Defensive prospect, who is NHL ready, but get K.Kostin in return. Again, they need help on the Right Side and Right-Handed shots, even though Legare fills that spot as a prospect. K.Kostin should be NHL ready this year or next.

I just don’t see where PO-Joseph fits with Dumoulin/Pettersson, and Matheson, J.Riikola, and C.Lee. Even though the Pens organization loves him, I think he is expandable and a great trade chip to help our 3rd line. A top 100 defensive prospect. Defensive-men always have value. See Ceci and Jack Johnson.

Blues get a cheaper player in Lafferty that is similar to Sundqvist, A LHD, that is NHL ready, and a 2nd round pick.

They trade from a position of strength now that they signed Hoffman. They are very deep at Forwards. Especially RW, with Perron, V.Tarasenko, Bobby Thomas, B.Schenn, And Barbashev all available at RW. And S.Blais.
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,365,175$0$850,000$2,134,825
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,940,000$2,940,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$758,333$758,333
RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$1,200,000$1,200,000 ($125,000$125K$125,000$125K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 28, 2020 at 1:47 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
The sad part is that we should have 2 of them players in Sundqvist & Kostin if it wasn't for the Reaves mess.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
Banned
Every Pens fan on here seems to think Kapanen is going to be a terrific top line RW. Prepare to be disappointed.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
mokumboi
Why on Earth would the Blues even consider this robbery attempt? Good grief, man. We have less than no use for any more LDs, we have better ones falling out of our ears right now. Sundqvist is far better than Lafferty and then you want our two best forward prospects. Uhh no thanks.

Oh... and RobTom is a center, Schenn is LW/C.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
This is slanted in the Pens favor a bit too much and the best piece going to St. Louis is at a position they're pretty set at so this is an easy decline for the Blues.
mokumboi liked this.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 2:36 p.m.
STL
I value the Blues’ worst piece in this deal more than the Pens’ best piece. Extremely easy no from the Blues.
mokumboi liked this.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 3:51 p.m.
Edited Dec. 28, 2020 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Why on Earth would the Blues even consider this robbery attempt? Good grief, man. We have less than no use for any more LDs, we have better ones falling out of our ears right now. Sundqvist is far better than Lafferty and then you want our two best forward prospects. Uhh no thanks.

Oh... and RobTom is a center, Schenn is LW/C.

Quoting: MisstheWhalers
This is slanted in the Pens favor a bit too much and the best piece going to St. Louis is at a position they're pretty set at so this is an easy decline for the Blues.

Quoting: jwg314
I value the Blues’ worst piece in this deal more than the Pens’ best piece. Extremely easy no from the Blues.

PO Jospeh is a top 100 Prospect on any list out there for top 100 NHL prospects. He’s NHL ready. Made the play-off taxi squad last year. If we got past the “play-in” game, he would have gotten NHL time. The coach in the AHL loved him. He played 27 minutes plus a night. Played in every situation. PP and PK. Again the coach loved him and so does the organization. I doubt they trade him. K.Kostin struggled in the AHL. IMO PO-Joseph > Kostin. And Defense much more valuable in the NHL. And Kostin isn’t a top 100 prospect in the NHL.

Lafferty is similar to Sundqvist. And alittle more potential. He had 15 points in limited games and limited ice time last year. 6’1, 200 pounds and I think he’s bigger than he’s listed. He always looks big and thick on the ice. Plays Center/LW/RW. A right-handed shot, good two-way player, good at face-offs(much better than Sundqvist), and he can chip in and score a bit. A lot cheaper than Sundqvist too. I bet STL GM would take Lafferty and his contract over Sundqvist and his 2.7M contract for 3 years.

That would leave the 2nd round pick and Kyrou.

The value is defiantly there for both sides.

Ohh and I said Bobby Thomas and Scheen CAN play RW. But u are right, Schenn is a LW/C. Bobby Thomas is a RW/C though. From all STL depth charts. It looks like R.O’R is gonna be 1C, and B.Schenn 2C with Perron as the 1st line RW and Bobby Thomas as the 2nd line RW.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 4:20 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: PGHBOB69
PO Jospeh is a top 100 Prospect on any list out there for top 100 NHL prospects. He’s NHL ready. Made the play-off taxi squad last year. If we got past the “play-in” game, he would have gotten NHL time. The coach in the AHL loved him. He played 27 minutes plus a night. Played in every situation. PP and PK. Again the coach loved him and so does the organization. I doubt they trade him. K.Kostin struggled in the AHL. IMO PO-Joseph > Kostin. And Defense much more valuable in the NHL. And Kostin isn’t a top 100 prospect in the NHL.

Lafferty is similar to Sundqvist. And alittle more potential. He had 15 points in limited games and limited ice time last year. 6’1, 200 pounds and I think he’s bigger than he’s listed. He always looks big and thick on the ice. Plays Center/LW/RW. A right-handed shot, good two-way player, good at face-offs(much better than Sundqvist), and he can chip in and score a bit. A lot cheaper than Sundqvist too. I bet STL GM would take Lafferty and his contract over Sundqvist and his 2.7M contract for 3 years.

That would leave the 2nd round pick and Kyrou.

The value is defiantly there for both sides.

Dude, you are straight trrrrrrrrippin'. The Blues have 423 LDs, Kostin is in several top 100 prospect lists, the Blues would definitely not swap Sunny for Lafferty, Kyrou is worth a lot more than a low 2nd, the value is not even remotely there for the Blues... I could go on, but sheesh. No.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 4:20 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Every Pens fan on here seems to think Kapanen is going to be a terrific top line RW. Prepare to be disappointed.

Remember the last time Toronto traded a super fast, alittle bit of an a**hole player to the Pens?? He ended up eating hot dogs out of the Stanley Cup..!! Twice!!

Kappy will defiantly score 20 plus this year. Coming into a locker room full of adults and not a locker room like Toronto full of kids and his peers will have a impact on him for sure. A positive one!! Itdoes to most players that come to the Penguins. They want to prove they belong. And respect Sid. Andthe European players respect Geno. And the defensemen respect Letang. Playing on a line with Guentzel/Sid, no, no one should expect him to have a big year!! Lol. If Him, Sid and Guentzel are healthy, he’ll score 20 plus goals and have 35-45 points in the 62 games.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
Banned
Remember the last time Toronto traded a super fast, alittle bit of an a**hole player to the Pens?? He ended up eating hot dogs out of the Stanley Cup..!! Twice!!

Kappy will defiantly score 20 plus this year. Coming into a locker room full of adults and not a locker room like Toronto full of kids and his peers will have a impact on him for sure. A positive one!! Itdoes to most players that come to the Penguins. They want to prove they belong. And respect Sid. Andthe European players respect Geno. And the defensemen respect Letang. Playing on a line with Guentzel/Sid, no, no one should expect him to have a big year!! Lol. If Him, Sid and Guentzel are healthy, he’ll score 20 plus goals and have 35-45 points in the 62 games.

You'll be saying this until you realize he just doesn't have the mind to be a top 6 player. You'll get so sick of seeing him fly up the wing and fire poor shots from outside and then never backcheck. It's not a lack of leadership that hurts him, which is such a poor dig at the Leafs, it's he just isn't a smart player. Says the right stuff and has great tools but he doesn't know how to put it together. Comparing him to Kessel is hilarious. Kessel was a terrific player in TO but isn't a guy who can lead he needs to be a secondary player. Kap is a bottom 6 guy with speed who can do some flashy stuff sometimes but usually makes dumb decisions that cost his team more than anything else. He also disappears for weeks on end. He won't last with Crosby because he doesn't add anything to the line except for perimeter shooting and bad decisions with the puck.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
Edited Dec. 28, 2020 at 7:19 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Dude, you are straight trrrrrrrrippin'. The Blues have 423 LDs, Kostin is in several top 100 prospect lists, the Blues would definitely not swap Sunny for Lafferty, the value is not even remotely there for the Blues... I could go on, but sheesh. No.

I didn’t know Kostin was on any top 100 prospects list. You could be right. I just know PO-Jospeh is on every one out there.

Ok, I didn’t know they had A lot of LHD prospects. I just know of the dude that won the Hobbey baker award, Perunovich.

But ok, I’m sure u are right and have more LHD prospects than I know. All I’m saying is PO-Joseph is definitely equal if not greater value than K.Kostin. Maybe not for STL. But overall.

And yes, I’ve seen both play. Very often. Lafferty and Sundqvist are similar.

I know west coast teams fans don’t know east Coast teams players that well. Just like east coast teams fans don’t know West Coast teams players as well.

But seeing as Sundavist played for the Pens and I watched a lot of Blues hockey, especially in the play-offs. Yes, Lafferty and Sundqvist are similar players.

And Lafferty makes significantly less money.

Both bottom 6 players. Both can play 3rd line or 4th line. Both good two-way players that can score a bit. Both bigger guys that are tough and fight for the puck. Both right-handed shots. Can play Center/RW/LW. Lafferty a significantly better at Face-offs though.

Even though he played limited games and limited ice time last year. The Pens used him often as a right-handed stick to take face-offs. Again, Lafferty makes significantly less too.

Yes, they are similar players. U think Sundqvist is a top 6?? He’s a average NHL 3C. And so is Lafferty, and I’d say with alittle more potential. Lafferty just hasn’t had the opportunity. B/C Alex Galchenyuk and McCann were ahead of him last year.

He’ll get more ice time this year. And produce similar stats to Sundqvist.

He’s not far off in his 1st year, last year, anyways. Had more hits, more block shots, better analytics, only 8 less points. In less games and only averaged 10 minutes a game last year. Limited ice time when he played. What’s not similar?? I’ve seen them both play often too. You just aren’t familiar with Lafferty. They are very similar players. Except Lafferty makes significant less money.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
Edited Dec. 28, 2020 at 5:10 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
You'll be saying this until you realize he just doesn't have the mind to be a top 6 player. You'll get so sick of seeing him fly up the wing and fire poor shots from outside and then never backcheck. It's not a lack of leadership that hurts him, which is such a poor dig at the Leafs, it's he just isn't a smart player. Says the right stuff and has great tools but he doesn't know how to put it together. Comparing him to Kessel is hilarious. Kessel was a terrific player in TO but isn't a guy who can lead he needs to be a secondary player. Kap is a bottom 6 guy with speed who can do some flashy stuff sometimes but usually makes dumb decisions that cost his team more than anything else. He also disappears for weeks on end. He won't last with Crosby because he doesn't add anything to the line except for perimeter shooting and bad decisions with the puck.

We’ll see. Just a difference of opinions. I’d be willing to bet he scores 20 plus goals this year in 62 game season though.

IMO it wasn’t a lack of leadership by the leafs. I’m a A.Matthews and M.Rielly fan!! Its a lack of veteran leadership. And I love the leafs off season. I think Thorton, Bogasian, Simmons will have a big impact on that locker room. And Anyone; analysts, beat writers, etc., would say The Leafs had a lack of leadership last year too. But like I said, I don’t think it was that as much as, a young locker room. It’s just different; a locker room full of your peers, players your own age. Than a locker room full of adults, with families and kids and HOF-ers, and Stanley Cup champions. If u don’t think it is a difference, then I don’t know, all I can say is, it is.

But again, I Iove the leafs offseason. They addressed the lack of leadership or youth in the locker room with Thornton, Bogasain, and Simmons. Addressed their toughness with Thornton, Bogasian, Simmons, Vesey. Addressed their lack of NHL depth with Thornton, Vesey, Simmons, Barabnov, Joey Anderson. Addressed their defense with Brodie, Bogasian, Lehtonen, resigning Dermott. I think they had a great offseason. And the taxi squad really helps them out!! And obviously the Leafs K.Dubus and Keefe think/know they needed veteran leadership in the locker room. Which Kappy will get in Pgh too.

Most players change when they come to pgh. We are like the Patriots of the NHL..lol. We turn around a lot of players. And the locker room is a big reason why. Especially young players. Like I said, players respect Sid. European players respect Geno. And D-men respect Letang. All are older, been around, all-stars, HOF-ers, and multiple Stanley Cups. Players want to play their best, be on their best behavior, show up early, leave late(like Sid, Geno, and Letang do) and prove to them they belong and want their respect back. It’s why most players come to Pgh and have career years.
Dec. 28, 2020 at 5:08 p.m.
Banned
We’ll see. Just a difference of opinions. I’d be willing to bet he scores 20 plus goals this year in 62 game season though.

IMO it wasn’t a lack of leadership by the leafs. I’m a A.Matthews and M.Rielly fan!! Its a lack of veteran leadership. And I love the leafs off season. I think Thorton, Bogasian, Simmons will have a big impact on that locker room. And Anyone; analysts, beat writers, etc., would say The Leafs had a lack of leadership last year too. But like I said, I don’t think it was that as much as, a young locker room. It’s just different; a locker room full of your peers, players your own age. Than a locker room full of adults, with families and kids and HOF-ers, and Stanley Cup champions. If u don’t think it is a difference, then I don’t know, all I can say is, it is.

But again, I Iove the leafs offseason. They addressed the lack of leadership or youth in the locker room with Thornton, Bogasain, and Simmons. Addressed their toughness with Thornton, Bogasian, Simmons, Vesey. Addressed their lack of NHL depth with Thornton, Vesey, Simmons, Barabnov, Joey Anderson. Addressed their defense with Brodie, Bogasian, Lehtonen, resigning Dermott. I think they had a great offseason. And the taxi squad really helps them out!!

I think more than anything the problem with TO has been their youth, they still are so young and have a lot to learn. Urgency comes from experience and it'll come together. I think this year they will be out for blood and in the North Division there will be much to be had.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 2:21 a.m.
Banned
the penguins wouldn't play Oscar when he was here and they needed a center. Why would they trade for him now?

Kyrou is a bust.
And Kostin is on his way to becoming that too. The penguins are giving up the best prospect here in POJ. Who may take time to develop but he's got better odds at this point than both of those two.
PGHBOB69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll