Forums/Armchair-GM

My Opinion on acquiring a dman

Created by: nalzugaray12
Team: 2020-21 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 29, 2020
Published: Dec. 29, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I see a ton of posts on here of people acquiring a top 4 level dman and they would want to do it as soon as today. Sami Vatanen shouldn't be a Bruin and I'll be very upset and critical if they were to do that. Here are reasons why they shouldn't (and won't).

1) It's time for the young guys.

Zboril, Lauzon, Vaakanainen. Those 3 have a huge opportunity this year to legitimately prove themselves. Lauzon already practically established his floor as a third pairing, gritty defenseman. His upside is the question and this season we will learn more about that. Jakub Zboril is the interesting one, we never got to see much of a sample size of his game (although his samples weren't great). He's finally gonna get his chance. Vaakanainen was once, and to some still is, a very hyped up prospect. He had a very promising first pro season with the Boston organization and slumped a bit this past season. I saw some flash in this game and I really hope he can prove some people wrong this season.

This staff clearly has confidence in some of these young dmen so all we have to do is trust them for now. If they don't pan out this season, it's fine. At least we get to say they got their chance.

2) Seattle expansion

Acquiring a long term dman (Hanifin) has terrible consequences for this Boston team. This was arguably the biggest reason Krug wasn't re-signed. If Boston were to acquire a long term dman, this leaves Matt Grzelcyk and/or Debrusk/Kase exposed to the draft. For obvious reasons, this team can't afford to lose a player of that caliber at this stage.

3) .....Ben Hutton?

Here is the current Boston rumor- signing Ben Hutton. He had a pretty good season with the Kings and spent majority of time in the top 4. For the record, I'm not totally against bringing him in, but why bother? If this whole time the plan was to ride these young dmen, why bring in another LHD who's in reality a 3rd pairing guy when this team already has a complete log jam? I like bringing him in for depth reasons, especially if Chara doesn't return, but I also don't want him to block these young dmen. He's just a better John Moore...so what does bringing in Hutton do to John Moore? I mean can you ACTUALLY trade John Moore? Doubt it. Hutton coming in makes John Moore very useless. I won't lose sleep failing at bringing in Hutton, but I'm not totally against it either. I just wouldn't get bringing in another depth defenseman days before camp...that tells me their plans went wrong.

So overall, it's the young guys time to shine. We need to know what we have in these young guys. After a few years of just a stacked LHD core, they never got a major opportunity. Every season we knew they weren't gonna make the team. This staff is confident enough to see what they can do. Let's be patient with this. Some people will look like fools if one of these dmen can take that next step and fill that void.

If they don't pan out, THEN you go out next offseason and get a dman. Or for a short term fix, you get a cheap rental at the deadline. And you can kiss the idea of trading first round picks goodbye, this team is done trading their first round pick.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,505,648$964,222$2,082,500$2,994,352

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$769,167$769,167 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$3,675,000$3,675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 4
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
G
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 3
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000 ($175,000$175K$175,000$175K) (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:12 p.m.
Bcarlo25
A+ ACGM. Only thing I disagree with is the notion that this team is done trading picks. That D group could easily come together and play fantastic. This team could be a contender with a clear hole that they need to fill.

Or they could take a step back. Or a big step back. Tough to tell.
nalzugaray12 liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:14 p.m.
Agreed.
nalzugaray12 liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
I see your point completely, but......

I look at this aging core, and then ask, is it time to take a step back and retool a little then? Table Kreji as a rental? Do you move Marchand? Or, do you sign a Vatanen to a 1 year deal and take one last kick at the can?

See this team very much at a cross roads now. And it seems Sweeney is sitting in the fence.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
Totally agree. We have a lot of depth on the back-end. We have 3 top 4 guys and about 7 5-6 guys. If one of those 5-6 guys step up (which I think one will) theyll be just fine. If not, go after a Hjalmarsson or someone cheap at the deadline to shore up the back-end
nalzugaray12 liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: swinny

I look at this aging core, and then ask, is it time to take a step back and retool a little then? Table Kreji as a rental? Do you move Marchand? Or, do you sign a Vatanen to a 1 year deal and take one last kick at the can?

See this team very much at a cross roads now. And it seems Sweeney is sitting in the fence.

They are 5 months away from winning the presidents trophy. They lost a one dimensional dman and added a great depth forward. I hate that take
Gofnut999, Bcarlo25, nalzugaray12 and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
applaud

Someone with some sense.

One thing to add. Boston has 10 guys in the mix. 9 of them are out of options. Adding more creates an even bigger problem. If Miller is healthy than one of Lauzon, Zboril, Clifton, or Moore will have to be placed on waivers, 2 of them have no chance of clearing.

If they add any more D men they have to make a trade somewhere to alleviate that issue.
nalzugaray12 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:25 p.m.
Bcarlo25

I think the plan is incredibly clear: go into the season trying to find out how good the young d men are, and how good the team is. If the team is good, acquire a d man at the deadline.
nalzugaray12 and KennyBoi liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:26 p.m.
Bahston Brewins

I think the point is very clear from Sweeney is they want to continue a smooth direction with this team. They don't want to panic and acquire a RHD Vatanen just to give a last little push (in reality Vatanen isn't exactly a fantastic player). They have confidence in these young players and we just gotta take their word for now. There's gonna be mistakes. They will mess up, it's just gonna happen and we need to expect that. Considering their limited experience, they need to adjust to the NHL. BUT the staff riding these young dmen tells me that they fully believe that one or two of these guys will be capable of filling the void.

I see why fans want a little last push. Because in reality, this is probably the last season where they're labeled as contenders. This team doesn't make last pushes in the offseason. They make pushes at the deadline. Rick Nash, Charlie Coyle, Marcus Johansson, Ondrej Kase. It is very evident that they want to evaluate their roster from what they have and at the deadline, you address any need you need to make. Obviously right now, top 4 LHD is the wildcard. If no one can fill that void, then you make a move. That's the push
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Bahston Brewins
Quoting: shmoeman
Totally agree. We have a lot of depth on the back-end. We have 3 top 4 guys and about 7 5-6 guys. If one of those 5-6 guys step up (which I think one will) theyll be just fine. If not, go after a Hjalmarsson or someone cheap at the deadline to shore up the back-end

boom. exactly. Evaluate the roster throughout the season, address any need at the deadline. That's what Sweeney has been doing for the last 3 seasons and counting.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'll disagree with the argument that Krug wasn't signed because of the Seattle expansion. Gee, you could still leave him exposed. Bruins just didn't think he was worth of 6.75m long term that Blues signed him to. Bruins should do well this year and next and role the dice in the playoffs. In 23/24 they might be looking at needing two centres with Bergeron and Kreji possibly gone, till then...Bruins still look like a top 4 club in the East.
Gofnut999 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:31 p.m.
Quoting: shmoeman
They are 5 months away from winning the presidents trophy. They lost a one dimensional dman and added a great depth forward. I hate that take

Can hate the take. But I think we can agree that Marchand, Berergon and Kreji aren't 25 anymore.

Krug may have been one dimensional, but he munched minutes and looked good doing it. It's an awefully big pair of skates to fill ...... which the Bruins just haven't done (noting I really like Lauzon long term).

This blueline is not what it was 5 months ago. All for letting the kids play - just not sure that is going to win them a playoff spot.

Pittsburgh is going to compete (3rd line questions for me) Washington is going to compete (goaltending wishes), Philly is going to compete (that team should win a division). The Islanders are going to compete - cap issues aside. That's the 4 spots. Just don't see this version of the Bruins being ahead of these guys. It's going to be a dog fight, and the level of inexperience on the back end may cost them a spot.

Which brings me back to on the fence......
mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:36 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
I think the plan is incredibly clear: go into the season trying to find out how good the young d men are, and how good the team is. If the team is good, acquire a d man at the
Quoting: nalzugaray12
I think the point is very clear from Sweeney is they want to continue a smooth direction with this team. They don't want to panic and acquire a RHD Vatanen just to give a last little push (in reality Vatanen isn't exactly a fantastic player). They have confidence in these young players and we just gotta take their word for now. There's gonna be mistakes. They will mess up, it's just gonna happen and we need to expect that. Considering their limited experience, they need to adjust to the NHL. BUT the staff riding these young dmen tells me that they fully believe that one or two of these guys will be capable of filling the void.

I see why fans want a little last push. Because in reality, this is probably the last season where they're labeled as contenders. This team doesn't make last pushes in the offseason. They make pushes at the deadline. Rick Nash, Charlie Coyle, Marcus Johansson, Ondrej Kase. It is very evident that they want to evaluate their roster from what they have and at the deadline, you address any need you need to make. Obviously right now, top 4 LHD is the wildcard. If no one can fill that void, then you make a move. That's the push

I agree with that, to an extent. This realigned division is the toughest of the lot imo. Bruins will be in tough. That evaluation maybe quicker than some may want.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
A+ ACGM. Only thing I disagree with is the notion that this team is done trading picks. That D group could easily come together and play fantastic. This team could be a contender with a clear hole that they need to fill.

Or they could take a step back. Or a big step back. Tough to tell.

Agreed with this alot, I mean maybe taking a big step back this year to take a bigger syrup forward next is smart, I mean u probably only have 2 years of peak Bergeron left and there is alot of extensions in 2 years. I'd be happy for the bruins if they stopped it off the playoffs but went on a run next year
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:42 p.m.
Bahston Brewins
Quoting: palhal
I'll disagree with the argument that Krug wasn't signed because of the Seattle expansion. Gee, you could still leave him exposed. Bruins just didn't think he was worth of 6.75m long term that Blues signed him to. Bruins should do well this year and next and role the dice in the playoffs. In 23/24 they might be looking at needing two centres with Bergeron and Kreji possibly gone, till then...Bruins still look like a top 4 club in the East.

I don't think it was "the" reason, but it was part of the reason. It came down to expansion and term of the contract. Plus potentially moving into a different playstyle for that spot (a two way defender perhaps?). If Krug returned, he was not getting unprotected. It came down to valuing Grz and Debrusk over Krug and from a business perspective, I don't blame them
palhal liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Agreed with this alot, I mean maybe taking a big step back this year to take a bigger syrup forward next is smart, I mean u probably only have 2 years of peak Bergeron left and there is alot of extensions in 2 years. I'd be happy for the bruins if they stopped it off the playoffs but went on a run next year

Unfortunately, my guess is they have zero years left of peak Bergeron.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
If you’re looking for a cheap LD rental I’ve got a Mike Reilly for your power play or a Braydon Coburn for your penalty kill smile
MisstheWhalers and BsInOttawa liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Unfortunately, my guess is they have zero years left of peak Bergeron.

Bad wording on my part, I meant like 2 years before we see like a significant drop off like from 1/2 line talent to 3/4 line with smarts. I mean maybe he retires after this contract is done.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Nice.

Sweeney is shell shocked because of 16-17 (I think) when they were on their 11th dman and were forced to roll out Joe Morrow 20m a night in the playoffs.

I am guessing Hutton is insurance. He won't cost much and it would enable you to move Zboril, Vaakainan or Lauzon along with say a Kase, debrusk or Bjork (once 88 & 63 are rolling) and land a legit top pairing D if they wanted to go that route further into the season.

The East and North are going to be tough tough divisions and there will be some solid players made available as teams plan for expansion.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 1:56 p.m.
Can hate the take. But I think we can agree that Marchand, Berergon and Kreji aren't 25 anymore.

Krug may have been one dimensional, but he munched minutes and looked good doing it. It's an awefully big pair of skates to fill ...... which the Bruins just haven't done (noting I really like Lauzon long term).

This blueline is not what it was 5 months ago. All for letting the kids play - just not sure that is going to win them a playoff spot.

Pittsburgh is going to compete (3rd line questions for me) Washington is going to compete (goaltending wishes), Philly is going to compete (that team should win a division). The Islanders are going to compete - cap issues aside. That's the 4 spots. Just don't see this version of the Bruins being ahead of these guys. It's going to be a dog fight, and the level of inexperience on the back end may cost them a spot.

Don’t discount NYR. With Igor in net full time this team could be really good. The East is loaded. I don’t think the Isles are that good really. Trotz is the best coach in the league and gets the most out of what he has. But unlike other divisions there are 6 good teams vying for 4 slots. No guarantees for any of them. Not the year to be breaking in new D but it is what it is. Every player has to get their start some time. Just because there has not been a place for them does not mean they can’t play.

Boston will miss Krug on the PP and his transition game, something the young kids are lacking. And Chara’s PK. The lack of transition from the backend is worrisome with this group. If Mac and Grizz pick up the slack it won’t be as bad as people are making it out to be.
Fox_Czar_Cup and swinny liked this.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 2:11 p.m.
Pete
in my opinion they should give a chance to Vaakanainen, the future partner of McAvoy
the next issue to be addressed is Carlo's partner - currently see nobody suitable on the market
and in the offseason they should look for Krejci's replacement
Dec. 29, 2020 at 2:13 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Not a Bruins fan and I tend to agree with the post about seeing what you got with the young D and how the season goes but really what is Hutton going to get at this point, $800K and a taxi squad spot?

I mean if that's all it is then sign him, play the kids first but you've got him if you need him and it might save you some draft capital at the TDL.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: Pete
in my opinion they should give a chance to Vaakanainen, the future partner of McAvoy
the next issue to be addressed is Carlo's partner - currently see nobody suitable on the market

Even if he ends up the best option out of camp he’s unlikely to get a spot as he is the only one that does not have to clear waivers.

They are not risking Lauzon or Clifton on waivers and Zboril iffy too. If Miller is unable to start the year i could see them placing Moore on waivers and giving Urho a shot. Moore likely clears and it saves them some cap for later in the year. Otherwise it’s iffy.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.

First few points are very fair, but top to bottom I like the Bruins forward core and goaltending better than anyone in that division
Dec. 29, 2020 at 2:55 p.m.
Quoting: Pete

Bruins signed Coyle to a six-year, $5.25M deal. Coyle is likely his "replacement"

Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Not a Bruins fan and I tend to agree with the post about seeing what you got with the young D and how the season goes but really what is Hutton going to get at this point, $800K and a taxi squad spot?

I mean if that's all it is then sign him, play the kids first but you've got him if you need him and it might save you some draft capital at the TDL.

If you're sending him on the taxi squad, Hutton may get claimed and it's not an issue if he is but I believe it's better to evaluate the young players before and then, make a move if needed. Not from the start. Bruins have enough depth on D anyways.
Dec. 29, 2020 at 9:50 p.m.
I think this is exactly the rational behind the plan that Sweeney is going for. Throw the kids into the mix and see which ones can stick. After trying them out to see what they got it will be the tdl and BOS if need be just get a rental who can fill that role. Well done, love the work put into this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll