Forums/Armchair-GM

Laine trade

Created by: PGHBOB69
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 30, 2020
Published: Dec. 30, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Jets get a top 6 RW, right-handed shot in Rust. On a good contract. Point per Game last year. A top 4, 24 year old, LHD on a long-term, reasonable contract. A top 50-60 prospect in Poulin. And 1st round pick.
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$75,093,333$0$1,195,000$6,406,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,940,000$2,940,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$853,333$853,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000 ($125,000$125K$125,000$125K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 30, 2020 at 9:42 p.m.
And Pens throw-in there 2nd round pick this year for Roslovic. Even though I’m not a fan. The Pens help out the Jets too. I think Roslovic might have some potential and might just need that change of scenery.
Dec. 30, 2020 at 10:10 p.m.
Terrible for PIT imo. Rust production is comparable to Laine, your best prospect and a first out of an insanely thin prospect pool, and your sturdiest young defenceman. All for Laine who has been rather underwhelming, and you already have someone for his role, Guentzel
Dec. 30, 2020 at 10:19 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
Terrible for PIT imo. Rust production is comparable to Laine, your best prospect and a first out of an insanely thin prospect pool, and your sturdiest young defenceman. All for Laine who has been rather underwhelming, and you already have someone for his role, Guentzel

Laine and Rust arnt even in the same Teir are scorers. Laine is gonna bring back a young NHL player with potential. And a prospect package of 2 of the teams top 1-5 prospects. And a 1st round pick. IMO. I think Rust, Pettersson, Poulin and a 1st is a high price. But Laine is that good.
Dec. 30, 2020 at 10:32 p.m.
Banned
this just destroys the penguins.
Laine is good but he's not worth losing 3 capable players and a 1st. That doesn't help a team.
Especially when his next contract comes up and he wants a fortune.
Dec. 30, 2020 at 10:42 p.m.
Nothing in that offer fits any team needs for Winnipeg, so they would certainly say no.
Dec. 30, 2020 at 10:47 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
Nothing in that offer fits any team needs for Winnipeg, so they would certainly say no.

Lol. Ok.

Rust was a point per game player last year and would fit perfectly on the Jets 2nd line RW. With Ehlers and Stastny. Ehlers being a left-handed shot and playing the LW, his strong side. Ehlers/Stastny/Rust is a very good 2nd line.

And u can never have enough D. A top 4, 24 year old LHD. Ya, the Jets could use him.

And Poulin, a 19 year old, top 50-60 prospect, 6’3, 210 pound Power forward, close to NHL ready, that can play on the 3rd line to start if u need him too. Ya, I think any team could use him.
Dec. 30, 2020 at 11:03 p.m.
Edited Dec. 30, 2020 at 11:09 p.m.
Quoting: PGHBOB69
Lol. Ok.

Rust was a point per game player last year and would fit perfectly on the Jets 2nd line RW. With Ehlers and Stastny. Ehlers being a left-handed shot and playing the LW, his strong side. Ehlers/Stastny/Rust is a very good 2nd line.

And u can never have enough D. A top 4, 24 year old LHD. Ya, the Jets could use him.

And Poulin, a 19 year old, top 50-60 prospect, 6’3, 210 pound Power forward, close to NHL ready, that can play on the 3rd line to start if u need him too. Ya, I think any team could use him.

Lol. A 28 year old with 2 years of term left and one fluke good season under his belt while welded to Sid isn't as valuable as you want him to be. To go along with a bottom pairing LD and wing prospect that Winnipeg doesn't need is very easy to turn down.

Laine at 22 has more points in his career than Rust does as 28. 😆 you'd better hold onto Rust he sounds like a superstar. 😆
Dec. 30, 2020 at 11:13 p.m.
Edited Dec. 30, 2020 at 11:23 p.m.
Lol. A 28 year old with 2 years of term left and one fluke good season under his belt while welded to Sid is as valuable as you want him to be. To go along with a bottom pairing LD and wing prospect that Winnipeg doesn't need is very easy to turn down.

Sure thing bud. Shows how little u know right there. Rust is on Malkin’s line. Never plays with Crosby..

Hmm.., so that completely wrong.

And his 1st full year playing the whole season on Malkin’s RW.

2 years of term left is better than Laine’s 1. And a great contract at 3.5M per.

And Pettersson 2nd full season with the Pens last year. 2nd pairing, Pettersson/Marino. 20 minutes a night. Top 4 LHD on a play-off team. Still a lot of potential there. Only his 2nd full season. Played 27 games his 1st year with ANA. And then 2 full seasons with us.

And Poulin would be the 2nd best prospect in the Jets system. Behind Perfetti. Better prospect than Vesalainen and L.Stanley.

Never said Rust was a superstar. Said he was atop 6 RW and scored a point per game last year.

Laine wants out. I hope he sits next year and refuses to play or sign his offer sheet. And walks for nothing. Or Jets have no leverage and get a prospect package and a 1st round pick. Lol. That would be great!!
Dec. 30, 2020 at 11:40 p.m.
Edited Dec. 30, 2020 at 11:58 p.m.
Sure thing bud. Shows how little u know right there. Rust is on Malkin’s line. Never plays with Crosby..

Hmm.., so that completely wrong.

And his 1st full year playing the whole season on Malkin’s RW.

2 years of term left is better than Laine’s 1. And a great contract at 3.5M per.

And Pettersson 2nd full season with the Pens last year. 2nd pairing, Pettersson/Marino. 20 minutes a night. Top 4 LHD on a play-off team. Still a lot of potential there. Only his 2nd full season. Played 27 games his 1st year with ANA. And then 2 full seasons with us.

And Poulin would be the 2nd best prospect in the Jets system. Behind Perfetti. Better prospect than Vesalainen and L.Stanley.

Never said Rust was a superstar. Said he was atop 6 RW and scored a point per game last year.

Laine wants out. I hope he sits next year and refuses to play or sign his offer sheet. And walks for nothing. Or Jets have no leverage and get a prospect package and a 1st round pick. Lol. That would be great!!

Lol. No wonder you think this makes sense you don't understand contracts or player skills. Rust ,with the exception of one fluke year as I said, is a bottom 6 player. At 28 he is what he is.

Pettersson would be behind Morrissey, Heinola and Samberg and was only in Pittsburgh's top 4 because Pittsburgh has bad defense. Poulin is okay, but as a winger isn't needed by Winnipeg.

Now for the funniest thing in your post. Rust is two years from being a UFA while Laine is an RFA for 3 more years. As an RFA, Laine can't "just walk". He can sit, but it does nothing for him, as he still owes 3 years. Read up a little bit on contracts to get a better understanding.

Sorry to hurt your feelings, it's just a bad proposal.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2020 at 2:08 a.m.
Pens
Gotta love when clueless idiots talk out of their ass in the comments section. Pens pass btw.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2020 at 2:11 a.m.
Edited Jan. 1, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: Sqm918
Gotta love when clueless idiots talk out of their ass in the comments section. Pens pass btw.

Lol. No wonder you think this makes sense you don't understand contracts or player skills. Rust ,with the exception of one fluke year as I said, is a bottom 6 player. At 28 he is what he is.

Pettersson would be behind Morrissey, Heinola and Samberg and was only in Pittsburgh's top 4 because Pittsburgh has bad defense. Poulin is okay, but as a winger isn't needed by Winnipeg.

Now for the funniest thing in your post. Rust is two years from being a UFA while Laine is an RFA for 3 more years. As an RFA, Laine can't "just walk". He can sit, but it does nothing for him, as he still owes 3 years. Read up a little bit on contracts to get a better understanding.

Lol. Right. I don’t expect west coast teams and Canadian teams fans to know east coast teams players well though.

He’s So far off on Rust, Pettersson and Poulin. Lol. Laine is a great goal scorer though. Would love to have him.

I know it’s a high price. And I can guarantee he’s under 25..I can tell!! And I know For a fact I played hockey longer and at higher levels than he will ever dream of..lol.

I don’t understand hockey contracts or player skills though..lol. I guess he’s talking about a RFA and a UFA.?? Like that’s hard to understand?? Lol. He must be a genius too!!
Dec. 31, 2020 at 2:26 a.m.
Pens
Lol. Right. I don’t expect west coast teams and Canadian teams fans to know east coast teams players well though. He’s So far off on Rust, Pettersson and Poulin. Lol. Laine is a great goal scorer though. Would love to have him. I know it’s a high price. And I can guarantee he’s under 25..I can tell!! And I know For a fact I played hockey longer and at higher levels than he will ever dream of..lol. I don’t understand hockey contracts or player skills though..lol.

Yea I’ve just come to a point where I don’t even bother arguing with morons anymore lol. Too many egotistical and bullheaded people that don’t want to admit when they are wrong. I just let them think they are right. It’s too tiring listening to them spat their stupidity and uneducated nonsense. Laine would be a great add, but I just don’t see the pens giving up the pieces to acquire him. With the little leverage that WPG has though, they probably don’t get what they really want for him and get forced to settle for less.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2020 at 2:30 a.m.
Yea I’ve just come to a point where I don’t even bother arguing with morons anymore lol. Too many egotistical and bullheaded people that don’t want to admit when they are wrong. I just let them think they are right. It’s too tiring listening to them spat their stupidity and uneducated nonsense. Laine would be a great add, but I just don’t see the pens giving up the pieces to acquire him. With the little leverage that WPG has though, they probably don’t get what they really want for him and get forced to settle for less.

Lol. Yep, and I love all the “Jets decline” or “Jets laugh and hang up the phone” or no way they do that deal!! Lol. Says who?? You?? Lol.

How about IMO, Jets would decline, or laugh and hang up the phone. Or IMO it would take something like this. Or Jets fans would be pissed if they made that deal!! I love just the “Jets decline” comments like it’s their decision and they are the GM. Well, how about no, how about Jets accept then!! Lol. We can both play fantasy.

And people get so butt-hurt cause u don’t like their idea. It’s crazy!!
Dec. 31, 2020 at 9:59 a.m.

While I fully admit that Laine is a solid point producer, well, actually a solid goal scorer, you are overdoing the value plays on both sides a bit. He is not a creator. He scores goals. However, it's not like he is Ovechkin at that. The last two years he has been 3rd on the Jets in goals scored, 4th in points. He is good at it, but he is not as much a monster at it as people like to suggest. He is not defensive, he is big but not exactly physical. He is not "the guy" on a line, he needs others. The biggest thing for him is that he will be turning 23 this season, so you would expect things to improve a bit over the next few years from where they are now. But his personality might be a bit of an issue as well.

To me Laine is in the 2nd tier of players, probably towards the bottom of that tier. He is not a superstar (Oechkin, Crosby, etc). He is in that start range of not someone that you build around, but a piece that you get to put around that cornerstone player(s) to prop them up. A very important piece, but a bit over hyped.

Personally, I'd rather pull Connor from the Jets, or even Ehlers. (#1 pick would be Scheifele, but that is not a comparable to Laine) Connor is good offensively, okay defensively, but soft as wet tissue. However, he doesn't require others to make the plays for him. He is kind of like a Kessel with defensive awareness. Ehlers is behind Laine, but he is also considerable cheaper, a better value.

Due to contract and attitude, this is an overpay by the Penguins.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2020 at 11:44 a.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo
While I fully admit that Laine is a solid point producer, well, actually a solid goal scorer, you are overdoing the value plays on both sides a bit. He is not a creator. He scores goals. However, it's not like he is Ovechkin at that. The last two years he has been 3rd on the Jets in goals scored, 4th in points. He is good at it, but he is not as much a monster at it as people like to suggest. He is not defensive, he is big but not exactly physical. He is not "the guy" on a line, he needs others. The biggest thing for him is that he will be turning 23 this season, so you would expect things to improve a bit over the next few years from where they are now. But his personality might be a bit of an issue as well.

To me Laine is in the 2nd tier of players, probably towards the bottom of that tier. He is not a superstar (Oechkin, Crosby, etc). He is in that start range of not someone that you build around, but a piece that you get to put around that cornerstone player(s) to prop them up. A very important piece, but a bit over hyped.

Personally, I'd rather pull Connor from the Jets, or even Ehlers. (#1 pick would be Scheifele, but that is not a comparable to Laine) Connor is good offensively, okay defensively, but soft as wet tissue. However, he doesn't require others to make the plays for him. He is kind of like a Kessel with defensive awareness. Ehlers is behind Laine, but he is also considerable cheaper, a better value.

Due to contract and attitude, this is an overpay by the Penguins.

Yeah, you can believe it is an overpay if you want, but the fact remains it is terrible value for the Jets, files zero long term needs and only serves to make the Jets older and worse.

Rust is a good bottom 6 guy, but at 28 and with only 2 years of term would never be considered a main piece and Pettersson an okay bottom pairing defenseman, but Winnipeg isn't going to trade Laine to fill out the bottom 6 with role players. They're trading an impact player, they would want an impact player back. I understand debating with Pittsburgh homers like the guys above is pointless as they are so biased they can't think realistically.

Anyways, there just isn't the long term piece in that offer that would make Winnipeg give it a second thought.
Dec. 31, 2020 at 12:19 p.m.
Yeah, you can believe it is an overpay if you want, but the fact remains it is terrible value for the Jets, files zero long term needs and only serves to make the Jets older and worse.

Rust is a good bottom 6 guy, but at 28 and with only 2 years of term would never be considered a main piece and Pettersson an okay bottom pairing defenseman, but Winnipeg isn't going to trade Laine to fill out the bottom 6 with role players. They're trading an impact player, they would want an impact player back. I understand debating with Pittsburgh homers like the guys above is pointless as they are so biased they can't think realistically.

Anyways, there just isn't the long term piece in that offer that would make Winnipeg give it a second thought.

Well, at least you apparently agree with everything that I said about Laine since you didn't counter any of it.
Dec. 31, 2020 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo
Well, at least you apparently agree with everything that I said about Laine since you didn't counter any of it.

It's pointless to counter assumptions based on never having actually watched the player. wink
Dec. 31, 2020 at 1:57 p.m.
It's pointless to counter assumptions based on never having actually watched the player. wink

Oh, okay. I would have thought that you had watched the player being that you are a Jets fan. But, okay.
Dec. 31, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.

Ok, well that’s your opinion. Obviously u never watched them play. Whether u believe it or not. It’s a fact. Rust is a PPG player and a top 6 on a play-off team. He has done it and proved it. He can do it again. It’s not just potential. He’s not a potential PPG player. Or potential 20 goal scorer. It’s a fact. He’s done it. What you’re saying is opinion. I’m using facts.

Pettersson is a top 4 LHD on a play-off team that can play 20 plus minutes a night. He has done it and proved it. And only 24 years old with more potential. Pettersson/Marino are the Pens future 1st line pairing if they both continue as is or improve.

Say what ever u think, but those are both facts. It’s not potential anymore. They both have done it in the NHL and proved it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll