Forums/Armchair-GM

One trade to upgrade the Top 6

Created by: The_Rocket
Team: 2020-21 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 1, 2021
Published: Jan. 1, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Cap hit ends up being almost equal. Carter is basically a stop gap for Podkolzin. LA gets the younger player with likely more offensive upside and a pick for taking back Beagle.

Carter is definitely more reliable than Virtanen is for this coming season and can play centre if there are injuries
Trades
LAK
  1. Beagle, Jay
  2. Virtanen, Jake
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (VAN)
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$76,651,575$1,700,000$4,550,000$4,848,425
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$2,636,364$2,636,364
RW, C
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,225,000$1,225,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,375,000$4,375,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$3,366,666$3,366,666
LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,300,000$4,300,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 2
$811,667$811,667 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1
LW, C
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 1, 2021 at 8:15 p.m.
I like it.
I’m fine with trading Virtanen, and this definitely upgrades the top 6. Carters on the book for two years but so is Beagle so that’s not a huge issue.
If management thinks Podkolzin is ready for a top 6 role in two years this makes good sense to me.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
2018 Canucks
Cap hit isn’t the same other than the amount.
2 players for 1 player it’s simple.
A 36yr old with 2yrs left is definitely not the answer.
This trade wouldn’t age well.
brocklesnar and audiodave liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
I would be much more interested if Carter had one year left. As it stands I don't think trading a younger, cost controlled asset for an older, more expensive asset makes sense.
brocklesnar liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 8:26 p.m.
na I'd rather have Virtanen
audiodave and yztnuK liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 8:35 p.m.
Quoting: TheAlien
na I'd rather have Virtanen

Why’s everyone so attached to Virtanen?

He’s a one dimensional, lazy, sub 20 goal player who is disliked by his teammates and not trusted by his coach.
Benning was apparently trying to trade him this offseason and was unable to, don’t know what the ask was but I think it’s clear he’s not thought overly high upon by the organization.
CEO liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 8:52 p.m.
Quoting: Reason

He’s a one dimensional, lazy, sub 20 goal player who is disliked by his teammates and not trusted by his coach.
Benning was apparently trying to trade him this offseason and was unable to, don’t know what the ask was but I think it’s clear he’s not thought overly high upon by the organization.

I'm 100% with you. I dont love Carter but he's better than Virtanen. Big Tuna doesn't belong on a team of Orcas.
Reason liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.

As much as everyone likes to sh*t on Virtanen he has improved every year so until he plateaus I wouldn't wanna move him for nothing plus he's better than a washed 36-year-old
brocklesnar, audiodave and yztnuK liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:00 p.m.
As much as everyone likes to sh*t on Virtanen he has improved every year so until he plateaus I wouldn't wanna move him for nothing plus he's better than a washed 36-year-old

By everyone, are you referring to fans or his coach, GM, teammates and organization?
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:11 p.m.
By everyone, are you referring to fans or his coach, GM, teammates and organization?

na by everyone, I mean people like you
brocklesnar liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:19 p.m.

He's tolerable as a third liner, and that somewhere he belongs, with Gaudette and Roussel/Baetschi/Hoglander. Having him in the top 6 is kinda sad and shows the lack of depth. This is why I wanted either Leivo or Toffoli back.
Reason liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:20 p.m.
Best In The World
Easy no for VAN. They would much rather keep a younger Virtanen.
audiodave liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:23 p.m.
Best In The World

So your suggestion is to trade a young cost controlled top 6 forward for a 36 year old who is pretty much close to retirement? Benning tested the market for Virtanen but he is not going to sell him for some old washed up player.
audiodave liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:25 p.m.
Best In The World
Quoting: CEO
He's tolerable as a third liner, and that somewhere he belongs, with Gaudette and Roussel/Baetschi/Hoglander. Having him in the top 6 is kinda sad and shows the lack of depth. This is why I wanted either Leivo or Toffoli back.

Leivo who is coming off major knee surgery and Toffoli who is similar to Boeser, both with terrible foot speed in the top 6? VAN needed to improve their defense, scoring goals is not an issue for them.
CEO and yztnuK liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:28 p.m.
na by everyone, I mean people like you

Based on your intelligent response, and your even more intelligent use of grammar, you’ve made me a believer of your perspective. I’ll stop listening to the insiders and the organization, from now on I’ll only get my intel from “TheAlien”!
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:30 p.m.
Banned
Make it a 2nd and Kings might accept.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:31 p.m.
Quoting: brocklesnar
Leivo who is coming off major knee surgery and Toffoli who is similar to Boeser, both with terrible foot speed in the top 6? VAN needed to improve their defense, scoring goals is not an issue for them.

U make a good argument, but I'm still inclined to say that Virtanen for a rental is worth it
Jan. 1, 2021 at 9:37 p.m.
Best In The World
Quoting: CEO
U make a good argument, but I'm still inclined to say that Virtanen for a rental is worth it

I don't think Benning is going the rental route this year maybe when all these bad contracts come off the books.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 10:48 p.m.
So your suggestion is to trade a young cost controlled top 6 forward for a 36 year old who is pretty much close to retirement? Benning tested the market for Virtanen but he is not going to sell him for some old washed up player.

No, those are your words not mine.
What I said was that I am ok with trading a player I consider to be a lazy 3rd liner that is not liked by his teammates nor trusted by his coach. Third line players are expendable. Third line players that are lazy, disliked and not trusted, are not overly valuable assets, even if they are youngish.

I agree with you that Carter is close to retirement, I disagree with you that he is washed up. He’s only got two years left on his contract and I think he’s still got some life left in the tank. He had 17 goals in the shortened season last year, and if he plays with either Peterson or Horvat I’m betting he would be close to the 20 goal mark again, prorated for the shortened season of course.

I’m ok with Carter for the following reasons:

Carter can adequately hold down the second line RW spot for the next two season, hopefully Podkolzin is ready to fill it after that.

Vancouver is set to take a step back this year, Carter is a better second line RW option than what VAN currently has.

Carter is a multiple Stanley Cup winner, which is an added benefit to a dressing room with a lot of young players.

One additional thing I like about the trade:
Beagle is an overpaid fourth line center signed for another 2 years. Sutter can fill that spot this year, and a more cost effective option can fill it the year after.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 11:05 p.m.
Best In The World
What I said was that I am ok with trading a player I consider to be a lazy 3rd liner that is not liked by his teammates nor trusted by his coach. Third line players are expendable. Third line players that are lazy, disliked and not trusted, are not overly valuable assets, even if they are youngish.

I agree with you that Carter is close to retirement, I disagree with you that he is washed up. He’s only got two years left on his contract and I think he’s still got some life left in the tank. He had 17 goals in the shortened season last year, and if he plays with either Peterson or Horvat I’m betting he would be close to the 20 goal mark again, prorated for the shortened season of course.

Carter can adequately hold down the second line RW spot for the next two season, hopefully Podkolzin is ready to fill it after that.

Vancouver is set to take a step back this year, Carter is a better second line RW option than what VAN currently has.

Carter is a multiple Stanley Cup winner, which is an added benefit to a dressing room with a lot of young players.

Beagle is an overpaid fourth line center signed for another 2 years. Sutter can fill that spot this year, and a more cost effective option can fill it the year after.

I would love to read the reports where is teammates dislike him can you provide me that? because what I remember before the playoffs started he threw a questionable hit in a scrimmage during the mini training camp, but I have never heard or read that his teammates dislike him prior to that. As a Canucks fan this is something new to me. Travis Green has always shown Virtanen tough love and knows how to get the most out of him. The same Sutter that can't stay healthy with terrible hips? Carter an aging asset and your okay trading a a young 20+ goal scorer who is still improving each year?
audiodave and TheAlien liked this.
Jan. 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.

When have any of his teammates said they didn't like him or the coach say he didn't trust him? Do you have some inside info that no one else has?
Virtanen has improved every season and I think with top 6 minutes he'll do well. There's no way he gets traded for a declining asset like Carter.
brocklesnar liked this.
Jan. 2, 2021 at 3:03 a.m.
I would love to read the reports where is teammates dislike him can you provide me that? because what I remember before the playoffs started he threw a questionable hit in a scrimmage during the mini training camp, but I have never heard or read that his teammates dislike him prior to that. As a Canucks fan this is something new to me. Travis Green has always shown Virtanen tough love and knows how to get the most out of him. The same Sutter that can't stay healthy with terrible hips? Carter an aging asset and your okay trading a a young 20+ goal scorer who is still improving each year?

I would love to read the reports where is teammates dislike him can you provide me that?

Ill give you this one. After looking for a quote, I will admit I may have misspoken on that point. I remember this being discussed on Vancouver sports radio after: Horvat had answered "Who is the player you would least like to quarantine with?", when pictures of Virtanen at a nightclub surfaced on social media during Phase 2 of the NHL's return to play, and after the altercation in the scrimmage. I cannot however find any type of quote so it may have been more speculation based radio talk than actual reports from inside the locker room, that I cannot recall.

Travis Green has always shown Virtanen tough love and knows how to get the most out of him

The only statement I've made about Green is that he doesn't trust Virtanen. If you Google, "Why doesn't Travis Green trust Jake Virtanen?" articles will pop up from reputable insiders. Green's trust in Virtanen has been brought up many times by many people.

The same Sutter that can't stay healthy with terrible hips?

I am fine with Sutter as a 4C for a season. He and Beagle are comparable, and if it rids us of two years of Beagle I am fine with it. Sutter played in 2/3 of the games last season, but if he's is injured at some point during the season there are others that can fill in for stretches, the Canucks have an abundance of bottom 6 forwards. As a side note I don't have a problem with Beagle as a 4C, but not at 3 mil.

your okay trading a a young 20+ goal scorer who is still improving each year?

I have already answered this, however Virtanen has not yet proven to be a 20+ goal scorer.
In Virtanen's 5 seasons with the Canucks he has never scored 20+ goals, he could have this year but there's no guarantees with his inconsistent play. If you add his regular season and playoff games/points together for 2019-2020 he had 20 goals in 85 games. I'm not saying he wont ever reach the 20 goal mark but he has yet to do so. He's also 25 this year, most players hit their peak at 24-25.
Jan. 2, 2021 at 11:50 a.m.
I would love to read the reports where is teammates dislike him can you provide me that?

Ill give you this one. After looking for a quote, I will admit I may have misspoken on that point. I remember this being discussed on Vancouver sports radio after: Horvat had answered "Who is the player you would least like to quarantine with?", when pictures of Virtanen at a nightclub surfaced on social media during Phase 2 of the NHL's return to play, and after the altercation in the scrimmage. I cannot however find any type of quote so it may have been more speculation based radio talk than actual reports from inside the locker room, that I cannot recall.

Travis Green has always shown Virtanen tough love and knows how to get the most out of him

The only statement I've made about Green is that he doesn't trust Virtanen. If you Google, "Why doesn't Travis Green trust Jake Virtanen?" articles will pop up from reputable insiders. Green's trust in Virtanen has been brought up many times by many people.

The same Sutter that can't stay healthy with terrible hips?

I am fine with Sutter as a 4C for a season. He and Beagle are comparable, and if it rids us of two years of Beagle I am fine with it. Sutter played in 2/3 of the games last season, but if he's is injured at some point during the season there are others that can fill in for stretches, the Canucks have an abundance of bottom 6 forwards. As a side note I don't have a problem with Beagle as a 4C, but not at 3 mil.

your okay trading a a young 20+ goal scorer who is still improving each year?

I have already answered this, however Virtanen has not yet proven to be a 20+ goal scorer.
In Virtanen's 5 seasons with the Canucks he has never scored 20+ goals, he could have this year but there's no guarantees with his inconsistent play. If you add his regular season and playoff games/points together for 2019-2020 he had 20 goals in 85 games. I'm not saying he wont ever reach the 20 goal mark but he has yet to do so. He's also 25 this year, most players hit their peak at 24-25.

Great so basically you've been talking out of your ass and have no idea what you're talking about
brocklesnar liked this.
Jan. 2, 2021 at 10:16 p.m.
Great so basically you've been talking out of your ass and have no idea what you're talking about

You are quite the aggressive internet talker… that’s now multiple statements from you…

Talking out my bum?

I admitted that I may have misspoken as I am unwilling to take the time to back up that very small part of my overall argument. You may have the time and desire to go through archived sports radio to try and prove a point over an internet debate, I personally do not. Everything else is easily verifiable, but no I'm not going to do that for you either.

I come on here to have an engaging and at least somewhat mature discussions, neither of which are happening here so I'll moving onto the next thread.
Jan. 3, 2021 at 6:01 a.m.
I like it.
I’m fine with trading Virtanen, and this definitely upgrades the top 6. Carters on the book for two years but so is Beagle so that’s not a huge issue.
If management thinks Podkolzin is ready for a top 6 role in two years this makes good sense to me.

who in their right mind trades a 24 yo for carter?
brocklesnar liked this.
Jan. 3, 2021 at 6:01 a.m.

he is only 24, twenty four
brocklesnar liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll