M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
G
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$716,667$716,667
G
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$730,000$730K)
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 4, 2021 at 1:59 p.m.
Banned
Oshie is the guy I'm watching on this team. He's 34, how far have the wheels come off.
We already know Ov doesn't really have legs anymore at 35. He doesn't need them considering he stands on the dot and shoots.
But if Oshie has problems, this team will struggle. They need his scoring.
Jan. 4, 2021 at 2:35 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: pharrow
Oshie is the guy I'm watching on this team. He's 34, how far have the wheels come off.
We already know Ov doesn't really have legs anymore at 35. He doesn't need them considering he stands on the dot and shoots.

My biggest question is why are people assuming he / other will fall off a cliff due to age....

since joining the capitals in 2015

15 - 16 (80 games)
26g 25 a 51 points

16-17 (68 games)
33g 23 56 points

17-18 (74 games)
18g 29a 47 points

18-19 (69 games)
25g 29a 54 points

19-20 (69 games)
26g 23 a 49 points

Oshie has been a consistent 50 point player since joining the team.... dont see much changing or drastically changing over night
Jan. 4, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Capitalfail67
My biggest question is why are people assuming he / other will fall off a cliff due to age....

since joining the capitals in 2015

15 - 16 (80 games)
26g 25 a 51 points

16-17 (68 games)
33g 23 56 points

17-18 (74 games)
18g 29a 47 points

18-19 (69 games)
25g 29a 54 points

19-20 (69 games)
26g 23 a 49 points

Oshie has been a consistent 50 point player since joining the team.... dont see much changing or drastically changing over night

Because statistically players hit walls in their 30s and the drop is kind of sudden for a lot of guys.
Think Burns play last year. Pavelski, MAF dropped off last year at 34 kind of sudden.
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active?limits=age-34-46

This list isn't exactly impressive. A few years back it was an impressive list. Today, not so much.
You got a hand full of guys on there who playing well still. Some of them have things in Common. like Bergeron no longer getting D zone starts to hide his legs. OV doesn't skate well, not that I blame him he's 35. No one is gonna play forever. But their games are tailored to them, OV doesn't have to skate like a lot of the other players do. Much like Bergeron doesn't.
But you can't hide everyone like that. A guy here or there is hard enough. So for instance as you know as a caps fan the PP is basically OV standing on 1 side and the other 4 guys go to work on the other side. OV doesn't really "move" much, The other 4 guys have to move all over the ice though to make it work. One being Oshie. So that's harder to hide as you slow as you get older. And he as slowed. It's not just about numbers but watching the play, biology etc...
It's why the vast majority of the players on this list are basically washed and the Top 3 off it are probably the 3 best players on it, and you can tell the ware on them.

So he's the guy I'm watching. They can hide OV as he slows, set him up let him shoot. Keep him in one zone and let him get off ice the other. But Oshie, he's harder to hide.
Jan. 4, 2021 at 3:56 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Because statistically players hit walls in their 30s and the drop is kind of sudden for a lot of guys.
Think Burns play last year. Pavelski, MAF dropped off last year at 34 kind of sudden.
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active?limits=age-34-46

This list isn't exactly impressive. A few years back it was an impressive list. Today, not so much.
You got a hand full of guys on there who playing well still. Some of them have things in Common. like Bergeron no longer getting D zone starts to hide his legs. OV doesn't skate well, not that I blame him he's 35. No one is gonna play forever. But their games are tailored to them, OV doesn't have to skate like a lot of the other players do. Much like Bergeron doesn't.
But you can't hide everyone like that. A guy here or there is hard enough. So for instance as you know as a caps fan the PP is basically OV standing on 1 side and the other 4 guys go to work on the other side. OV doesn't really "move" much, The other 4 guys have to move all over the ice though to make it work. One being Oshie. So that's harder to hide as you slow as you get older. And he as slowed. It's not just about numbers but watching the play, biology etc...
It's why the vast majority of the players on this list are basically washed and the Top 3 off it are probably the 3 best players on it, and you can tell the ware on them.

So he's the guy I'm watching. They can hide OV as he slows, set him up let him shoot. Keep him in one zone and let him get off ice the other. But Oshie, he's harder to hide.

imo the capitals success rest on the shoulders of Kuzy. if he plays the way he did the last 2 yeas this team wont be anything special BUT if he is able to preform the way he did during the cup run the capitals are a favorite coming out of the east imo. Oshie never really relied on speed kind of like backy so im not too worried but hes not our problem after this year.... Seattle takes him no doubt in my mind. they need to find a replacement for him but they can probably find someone in FA.

im also hoping McMichaels can be an impact player on the 3rd line

McM eller Panik
Jan. 4, 2021 at 4:04 p.m.
Banned
imo the capitals success rest on the shoulders of Kuzy. if he plays the way he did the last 2 yeas this team wont be anything special BUT if he is able to preform the way he did during the cup run the capitals are a favorite coming out of the east imo. Oshie never really relied on speed kind of like backy so im not too worried but hes not our problem after this year.... Seattle takes him no doubt in my mind. they need to find a replacement for him but they can probably find someone in FA.

I mean if you add Seattle will take him right? I don't see them taking Oshie. That contract is too much too long. He'll be 35. Question is what do you have to give up.
So if you are worried about a replacement I don't think that's a problem.
If you were a GM would you take a 35 year old on a 4 year contract at almost 6 million. I mean look at that list above.....would you?
I don't see Seattle taking him without a 1st at the minimum coming back. Truth is even then I don't see it happening. Reason being, there are so many guys on 2 year deals they can get a 1st for. Neal, Lucic, Ladd etc....
They are easier to deal with as they are done in 2 years.

If I had to guess Seattle's pick it would be Panik. 2 years 2.75 hope they rebound and you are done. He'll only be 30.
I don't think WSH protects him, they get out of that contract.
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Jan. 4, 2021 at 4:46 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
I mean if you add Seattle will take him right? I don't see them taking Oshie. That contract is too much too long. He'll be 35. Question is what do you have to give up.
So if you are worried about a replacement I don't think that's a problem.
If you were a GM would you take a 35 year old on a 4 year contract at almost 6 million. I mean look at that list above.....would you?
I don't see Seattle taking him without a 1st at the minimum coming back. Truth is even then I don't see it happening. Reason being, there are so many guys on 2 year deals they can get a 1st for. Neal, Lucic, Ladd etc....
They are easier to deal with as they are done in 2 years.

If I had to guess Seattle's pick it would be Panik. 2 years 2.75 hope they rebound and you are done. He'll only be 30.
I don't think WSH protects him, they get out of that contract.

i should have been more clear. i absolutely agree with you that Seattle will want something to take Oshie.... i imagine it would be a 2nd round pick and maybe a prospect. nothing too good (luceJo). Maybe LucaJo and a 2nd would be my guess. Oshie would be a solid guy for them... mentor and local legend.... (selling hard but you get the picture)
Jan. 6, 2021 at 11:23 a.m.

Haha! Ovi doesn't have legs anymore? He doesn't "move"? What are you talking about...
Guy had 184 hits last year (WITH a shortened season) and over 20 minutes of ice time.
Yes he is older and still dominates from the dot (sorry not sorry), but to say he has no legs makes me think you haven't watched him play...ever...?
But maybe you were joking, and therefore, that made me chuckle so thank you for that.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 12:35 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: AllCaps_BestTeam
Haha! Ovi doesn't have legs anymore? He doesn't "move"? What are you talking about...
Guy had 184 hits last year (WITH a shortened season) and over 20 minutes of ice time.
Yes he is older and still dominates from the dot (sorry not sorry), but to say he has no legs makes me think you haven't watched him play...ever...?
But maybe you were joking, and therefore, that made me chuckle so thank you for that.

Hits doesn't mean you can skate. Reaves manages 200 hits per season. No one is confusing him with someone who can skate on the top line of any team.
But thanks for playing.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 12:52 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

Hits doesn't mean you can skate. Reaves manages 200 hits per season. No one is confusing him with someone who can skate on the top line of any team.
But thanks for playing.

best way i can resolve this and make sense of the original comment is

" Ovi doesn't have legs anymore" Ovechkin foot speed isnt what it use to be and he gets caught flat footed more often than not. He does hit a lot and hes WAY more active than Reeves but harsh reality is that Ovechkin puck watches more than he should and hes getting old. i love him but pharrow isnt wrong its just hard to admit bc Ovechkin is a generational talent and puts up great numbers still. He's not saying Ovechkin sucks he's simply saying Ovechkin doesnt move the way he use to. watch highlights from 10 years ago and watch clips from last year.....night and day
Jan. 6, 2021 at 1:37 p.m.
Banned
best way i can resolve this and make sense of the original comment is

" Ovi doesn't have legs anymore" Ovechkin foot speed isnt what it use to be and he gets caught flat footed more often than not. He does hit a lot and hes WAY more active than Reeves but harsh reality is that Ovechkin puck watches more than he should and hes getting old. i love him but pharrow isnt wrong its just hard to admit bc Ovechkin is a generational talent and puts up great numbers still. He's not saying Ovechkin sucks he's simply saying Ovechkin doesnt move the way he use to. watch highlights from 10 years ago and watch clips from last year.....night and day

This is exactly it. but his game doesn't need to. WSH builds it system around OV. They just need to help him get open and let him rip it. Like they do on the PP. 4 guys work one end, and it leaves him open and he rips it. Because no one else has that shot on the team.
They do the same thing in 5v5. The other 4 guys have to help cover that.
The penguins do the same thing with Crosby and Malkin. That's why they are trying to put young legs next to them. Let them push the pace. Let Crosby and Malkin do their thing with them.
But it doesn't work if the other guys with them are older and slower. Same has been true with Bergeron. They hide him in the Ozone now so he doesn't have to play 200 feet, and they kept Pasta and a fairly younger Brad with him. But now Brad is getting older, he's 32 now. And the line isn't as effective as it was say 2 years ago. Bergeron is losing steps, and Brad isn't far behind him now. Players aging is what it is.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 1:43 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
This is exactly it. but his game doesn't need to. WSH builds it system around OV. They just need to help him get open and let him rip it. Like they do on the PP. 4 guys work one end, and it leaves him open and he rips it. Because no one else has that shot on the team.
They do the same thing in 5v5. The other 4 guys have to help cover that.
The penguins do the same thing with Crosby and Malkin. That's why they are trying to put young legs next to them. Let them push the pace. Let Crosby and Malkin do their thing with them.
But it doesn't work if the other guys with them are older and slower. Same has been true with Bergeron. They hide him in the Ozone now so he doesn't have to play 200 feet, and they kept Pasta and a fairly younger Brad with him. But now Brad is getting older, he's 32 now. And the line isn't as effective as it was say 2 years ago. Bergeron is losing steps, and Brad isn't far behind him now. Players aging is what it is.

i completely agree with you. Ovechkin is 35+ years old....its silly to think hes same same players he was at 25. Lucky his playing style is timeless and he doesn't need to use a bunch of energy to produce. Sometimes people read words and get upset / make false assumptions. They other capital fan made the assumption that you think Ovechkin sucks when that wasn't the case.... just a misunderstanding imo.
pharrow liked this.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 1:51 p.m.
Banned
i completely agree with you. Ovechkin is 35+ years old....its silly to think hes same same players he was at 25. Lucky his playing style is timeless and he doesn't need to use a bunch of energy to produce. Sometimes people read words and get upset / make false assumptions. They other capital fan made the assumption that you think Ovechkin sucks when that wasn't the case.... just a misunderstanding imo.

what do you think these shortened season mean for his record chase?
I've been wondering that for some time. He's losing like what 40 games or something? Over 2 years. Man you know he's got to be thinking wtf in the back of his head. Like I'm so close and this ****.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 2:30 p.m.
But thanks for playing.

Yes - he does not skate like a 25 year old. This is true. And yes, OVI watches the puck sometimes. This is also true. Obviously age has taken a toll on his overall speed and legs. I agree with that.
But to say he does not move and does not have legs anymore is absurd. The dude still flies around to go after the puck / create big hits.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.

But I do agree that his age has affected his speed and agility. That is inevitable. And there are games where he does take off - but to say he has no legs / doesn't move is ridiculous, imo.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 2:49 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
what do you think these shortened season mean for his record chase?
I've been wondering that for some time. He's losing like what 40 games or something? Over 2 years. Man you know he's got to be thinking wtf in the back of his head. Like I'm so close and this ****.

His rookie year was the lockout so 2 lockouts and Covid. he will more than likely finish 2nd but thats amazing considering the era. I hope he breaks the record but i dont want that to be the soul focus of this team moving forward
Jan. 6, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
But I do agree that his age has affected his speed and agility. That is inevitable. And there are games where he does take off - but to say he has no legs / doesn't move is ridiculous, imo.

i took it less literal but that being said Ovechkin is getting older and naturally he isnt going move around like a younger player....Crosby and Malkin are in a similar boat
Jan. 6, 2021 at 7:00 p.m.
Banned
Yes - he does not skate like a 25 year old. This is true. And yes, OVI watches the puck sometimes. This is also true. Obviously age has taken a toll on his overall speed and legs. I agree with that.
But to say he does not move and does not have legs anymore is absurd. The dude still flies around to go after the puck / create big hits.

again hits does not mean speed. You just don't seem to get that. He does not "fly". You don't want to put him in foot races or a 5th gear game. He's on the bottom 1/3 of all top 6 players speed wise, might be as low as 1/5 to be honest. That's not a knock on him, it's just a statement of the game today. The game keeps getting faster because the game keeps getting younger. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a skill set, he does. But it's not his legs and I don't know why you argue it is. Everyone is trying to play fast today. They want to play at McDavids level. They want to run it up and down the ice. OV can't play that game. It's not his skill set. Which is why WSH doesn't play that game. So lets not use the word "fly" it's simply not true.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll