Something Different

Created by: Campabee
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 5, 2021
Published: Jan. 5, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
MTL
  1. Ristolainen, Rasmus ($1,500,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Byron, Paul
  2. Kulak, Brett
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
MTL
LAK
  1. Weal, Jordan
  2. 2021 4th round pick (STL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$74,991,309$0$3,987,500$6,508,691
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$735,000$735,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
C
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:05 p.m.
I want Gourde back
Montreal need an LHD, not a RHD
Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:12 p.m.
Quoting: imawesome
Montreal need an LHD, not a RHD

Yes we still need a top pairing LHD but MB and CJ believe Montreal needs a RHD to play bottom pairing. This allows them to run:

Chiarot-Weber
EdmundsonRomanov-Petry
Edmundson/Romanov-Ristolainen

we could also run

Petry-Weber
Chiarot-Romanov
Edmundson-Ristolainen

if we really wanted
Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
Dear Habs fans for the eight billionth time, the Kings have no place for Weal unless a mid-round pick is our incentive to take him.
Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: tryger
Dear Habs fans for the eight billionth time, the Kings have no place for Weal unless a mid-round pick is our incentive to take him.

LOL this is the first time I sent him to the Kings. I will adjust the deal to include a 4th how does that work?
SevenLeg liked this.
Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
I want Gourde back
Quoting: Campabee
Yes we still need a top pairing LHD but MB and CJ believe Montreal needs a RHD to play bottom pairing. This allows them to run:

Chiarot-Weber
EdmundsonRomanov-Petry
Edmundson/Romanov-Ristolainen

we could also run

Petry-Weber
Chiarot-Romanov
Edmundson-Ristolainen

if we really wanted

Ristolainen isn't a bottom pairing D-man though, and even if for some reason you consider him one 3.9 is way too much to pay for a bottom pairing defenseman.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:25 p.m.
Quoting: imawesome
Ristolainen isn't a bottom pairing D-man though

he would be if both Weber and Petry were on their natural side and if not I guess we could line up

Petry-Weber
Romanov-Ristolainen
Chiarot-Edmundson
Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
No team is taking on Byron. Sabres won’t trade Ristolainen either.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
LOL this is the first time I sent him to the Kings. I will adjust the deal to include a 4th how does that work?

Not you bud, but yeah the bottom of the barrel teams paying for Weal is pretty unrealistic. . But for a 4th, you got it, but nothing going back.
Campabee and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 5, 2021 at 2:05 p.m.
we arent retaining on ristolainen, especially to eat Byron's contract.
Jan. 5, 2021 at 7:21 p.m.
Quoting: tryger
Not you bud, but yeah the bottom of the barrel teams paying for Weal is pretty unrealistic. . But for a 4th, you got it, but nothing going back.

I wouldn't even take Weal. He has no place among our forwards for what he is being paid. Let the kids play
Jan. 5, 2021 at 7:26 p.m.
Quoting: kingsfaninSD
I wouldn't even take Weal. He has no place among our forwards for what he is being paid. Let the kids play

He's not playing he's waived and on taxi squad ($1M and some change cap hit for a fourth, yeah I'll take that).
Jan. 5, 2021 at 7:28 p.m.

You realize that his salary is only 1.4 Mil. If you bury him in the minors his cap hit is 375k for 1 year. Your objection doesn't make sense. The kings have what 11 Mil space? Are they really going to miss 375k for 1 year and pass on basically a free pick?
Jan. 6, 2021 at 8:37 a.m.
You realize that his salary is only 1.4 Mil. If you bury him in the minors his cap hit is 375k for 1 year. Your objection doesn't make sense. The kings have what 11 Mil space? Are they really going to miss 375k for 1 year and pass on basically a free pick?

Yes because it takes up a contract. If there are better deals to be had before the season starts, use the remaining contracts for that, not some player to just get a 4th round pick. Teams still need to get under the cap before the season starts.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 9:19 a.m.
Yes because it takes up a contract. If there are better deals to be had before the season starts, use the remaining contracts for that, not some player to just get a 4th round pick. Teams still need to get under the cap before the season starts.

That is fair but it wasn't what his objection was. His objection was "I wouldn't even take Weal. He has no place among our forwards for what he is being paid. Let the kids play". I take that to mean that he thinks Weal is overpaid and for too long. Reality is though 73% of Weal's contract can be buried easily. Also the Kings have 44\50 contracts on their books for the 21 season. That means they have 6 contract spaces available. Even if they take on Weal it is still unlikely that they will have to worry about 1 contract space, especially if they are receiving a mid round pick for basically taking on 375k cap for 1 year.
Jan. 6, 2021 at 1:40 p.m.
That is fair but it wasn't what his objection was. His objection was "I wouldn't even take Weal. He has no place among our forwards for what he is being paid. Let the kids play". I take that to mean that he thinks Weal is overpaid and for too long. Reality is though 73% of Weal's contract can be buried easily. Also the Kings have 44\50 contracts on their books for the 21 season. That means they have 6 contract spaces available. Even if they take on Weal it is still unlikely that they will have to worry about 1 contract space, especially if they are receiving a mid round pick for basically taking on 375k cap for 1 year.

The Kings have already had Weal and he doesn't fit into our rebuild. Taking a spot, or contract, is huge depending on who the player is and his salary. There is no place on the Kings roster for Weal, even with what you call a free draft pick. Kings are to the point where they will have to start moving some players, draft picks for next year. Montreal is going to have to find another way to shed salary to become cap compliant instead of trying to dump the contract to LA. The Kings can wait and see who the desperate teams are to get below the cap
Jan. 6, 2021 at 1:48 p.m.
The Kings have already had Weal and he doesn't fit into our rebuild. Taking a spot, or contract, is huge depending on who the player is and his salary. There is no place on the Kings roster for Weal, even with what you call a free draft pick. Kings are to the point where they will have to start moving some players, draft picks for next year. Montreal is going to have to find another way to shed salary to become cap compliant instead of trying to dump the contract to LA. The Kings can wait and see who the desperate teams are to get below the cap

Weal is a FA next year so he would not need to be moved just not resigned. I get what you are saying and everything honestly, and while Weal may not fit into your lineup or he may waste a contract spot this year, these are not really all that valid reasons to not want to take a 4th for basically free. He does not have to be in your lineup or on the taxi squad, L.A. is not all of a sudden going to sign prospects or players between now and the start of the season. L.A. is not over or even close to the cap so it doesn't matter if he was kept with the team or buried his cap hit is minimal. If you don't like or want Weal that is fine but don't try to make it sound like there are other concerns regarding cap issues, contract limits, roster spots or whatever. Just simply state no thanks and move on.
Jan. 7, 2021 at 8:55 a.m.
Weal is a FA next year so he would not need to be moved just not resigned. I get what you are saying and everything honestly, and while Weal may not fit into your lineup or he may waste a contract spot this year, these are not really all that valid reasons to not want to take a 4th for basically free. He does not have to be in your lineup or on the taxi squad, L.A. is not all of a sudden going to sign prospects or players between now and the start of the season. L.A. is not over or even close to the cap so it doesn't matter if he was kept with the team or buried his cap hit is minimal. If you don't like or want Weal that is fine but don't try to make it sound like there are other concerns regarding cap issues, contract limits, roster spots or whatever. Just simply state no thanks and move on.

Just because you want to dump a player on a team that has salary cap room and you want to entice them with a draft pick, don't get mad when they say no and give you reasons that you don't like. Blame your GM for putting your team is this situation. I have already stated that the Kings do not want Weal, they are not going to help out Montreal to become cap compliant for a player that doesn't fit their model moving forward to bury his contract. Montreal can bury his contract too but that would mess up your whole plan for the other trade.
Jan. 7, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
Just because you want to dump a player on a team that has salary cap room and you want to entice them with a draft pick, don't get mad when they say no and give you reasons that you don't like. Blame your GM for putting your team is this situation. I have already stated that the Kings do not want Weal, they are not going to help out Montreal to become cap compliant for a player that doesn't fit their model moving forward to bury his contract. Montreal can bury his contract too but that would mess up your whole plan for the other trade.

Who said anything about being mad? I am not mad I am just explaining why your "reasoning" makes no sense. You say he doesn't fit into the system that is fine but he does not have to he can be buried. You said it is a waste of contract spot but the Kings have 6 right now and don't anticipate using them until next season when Weal would be off the books. You said that he was too expensive to take on I proved that wrong as well 1.4 Mil for 1 year and if buried he would only cost 375k. your being near sighted instead of looking at how this benefits the team (getting a 4th for basically free) you are allowing your own dislike for Weal to cloud your judgement of what is best for the team.
Jan. 8, 2021 at 7:14 p.m.
Who said anything about being mad? I am not mad I am just explaining why your "reasoning" makes no sense. You say he doesn't fit into the system that is fine but he does not have to he can be buried. You said it is a waste of contract spot but the Kings have 6 right now and don't anticipate using them until next season when Weal would be off the books. You said that he was too expensive to take on I proved that wrong as well 1.4 Mil for 1 year and if buried he would only cost 375k. your being near sighted instead of looking at how this benefits the team (getting a 4th for basically free) you are allowing your own dislike for Weal to cloud your judgement of what is best for the team.

Wow you have no idea what you actually saying do you? Why take a player on, which I have stated several times, that does not fit within what you are doing for a rebuild. The fourth round draft pick is insignificant for taking on a contract that has value to your team! A contract is very important to what your current and future plans are, not something to just throw away as you believe. Just because the Kings have 6 contract spots open doesn't mean they can/should take on a player. The Kings still need to fill out their roster to the 23 man limit and their taxi squad. They could be looking to pick up another player or two that other teams have to move to become cap compliant. You are getting all worked up because I keep saying no to what you want to do. I have wasted enough of my time on this
Jan. 8, 2021 at 7:21 p.m.
Wow you have no idea what you actually saying do you? Why take a player on, which I have stated several times, that does not fit within what you are doing for a rebuild. The fourth round draft pick is insignificant for taking on a contract that has value to your team! A contract is very important to what your current and future plans are, not something to just throw away as you believe. Just because the Kings have 6 contract spots open doesn't mean they can/should take on a player. The Kings still need to fill out their roster to the 23 man limit and their taxi squad. They could be looking to pick up another player or two that other teams have to move to become cap compliant. You are getting all worked up because I keep saying no to what you want to do. I have wasted enough of my time on this

You are the one all worked up. Frankly many of the Kings fans above agree with me and not you that picking up Weal for essentially a free pick is a good trade. You are the only one so far that disagrees that right there should tell you something about who is right here and who is wrong LMAO

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll