SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New York Islanders signed Mathew Barzal (3 Years / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 10, 2021 at 1:48 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Patriot12992
I'm not trying to say "your opinion is wrong", however I don't think you are taking into account that it is in fact just your specific opinion. I am always wary of putting my worldview on others, and I fear you are doing that here. Trying to psycho- analyze things like personal motivations is extremely complicated. What motivates a specific individual varies greatly and there is alot of nuance to it.

and I'm not trying to say that my "opinion" or whatever here is going to be how it is. What I'm saying is, for the TEAM, a 2 year deal was better. To have control so they can't just walk after 1 year or cause problems. What a guy will do with 1 year left vs what he'll do with 2 years left are two different things. It's just more leverage for the team. That's what I'm saying. The team gave up leverage here. I don't think that is wise.
Jan. 10, 2021 at 4:26 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Joe_La_Garnotte
And now without the offer sheet threat, the avalanche of signings (Martin, Greene and Schneider)

Now Martin, Green and Schneider have a comparable to make when they negotiate .....Barzel's new contract
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2021 at 4:35 a.m.
Quoting: Rokk
I trust Lou's word more than I trust his and Lou was on record as saying he never knew his decision until he had already made up his mind.

That is literally the definition of telling the truth.

He didn't give a response until he made up his mind.

You're sounding a bit crazy now.
Jan. 10, 2021 at 12:14 p.m.
I heff to be mad...
Did Lou actually do something right?
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
You owe us picks
Quoting: drewjenkins
That is literally the definition of telling the truth.

He didn't give a response until he made up his mind.

You're sounding a bit crazy now.

The final day before free agency, Explain to me how Lou can chase other UFA's when he's waiting on Tavares response? If you're offering someone 11 million you're not going to be chasing other players asking 7 to 8 million when you don't know if you'll have cap space.

The people on this site that can't understand the simplest concept of cap space amazes me, but anyways I concede, your logic both astounds and baffles me. Have a good day.
Jan. 10, 2021 at 9:03 p.m.
To those saying Barzy should've gotten his big payday deal now, would you rather cash in before or after you win hardware and put you your first 90-100 point season? Sure, he hasn't done it yet, but it's not like a lot of NHLers doubt he's capable of it.
Jan. 10, 2021 at 11:24 p.m.
The final day before free agency, Explain to me how Lou can chase other UFA's when he's waiting on Tavares response? If you're offering someone 11 million you're not going to be chasing other players asking 7 to 8 million when you don't know if you'll have cap space.

The people on this site that can't understand the simplest concept of cap space amazes me, but anyways I concede, your logic both astounds and baffles me. Have a good day.

Thank you for conceding that I'm correct.
Jan. 11, 2021 at 2:00 a.m.
You owe us picks
Quoting: drewjenkins
Thank you for conceding that I'm correct.

Ok, it seems you're just looking for an argument. So let's argue. Never said you were correct, never agreed with anything you said as a matter of fact. It just became obvious it was pointless having a discussion with you since you were beginning to twist words to fit your own agenda. Let's break all this down shall we?

1. pharrow posted that Barzal wouldn't make as much money playing in a defensive system as he would an offensive system. I disagreed,

2. He then stated that Barzal wouldn't make as much as the guys scoring a 100 points a season if he was only scoring 60. I disagreed again.

3. You then jumped in with a post, picking apart my post and ended it with Barzal isn't worth 10 million, to which I replied that the post wasn't about him being worth 10 million it was about parts 1&2.

4. This must have somehow triggered you because you replied to this post with an off topic rant about Tavares and how I called him a traitor. Something I never stated in my post so I assumed you were talking about my avatar and offered an explanation, NOT an argument.

5. You then claimed I didn't know he was lying to which I replied post that you didn't know he wasn't lying.

6. You then proceeded to take an extremely small portion of my final post, telling me it was the very definition of lying. Even though I never claimed he was lying about the part you quoted. I said he screwed the Islanders over by letting them know he was leaving at the last possible second. Not that he lied about it. It was at this point I knew I was just smashing my face in to the keyboard and had every intention of walking away from this thread. So I conceded. Until your ego got in the way,

No, you're not right!
Jan. 11, 2021 at 4:50 a.m.
Just out of curiosity, how much would it have cost to lock him up for the full 8 years? Are max term contracts dead in the NHL or is this just a temporary issue/byproduct of the pandemic?
Jan. 11, 2021 at 4:52 a.m.
Ok, it seems you're just looking for an argument. So let's argue. Never said you were correct, never agreed with anything you said as a matter of fact. It just became obvious it was pointless having a discussion with you since you were beginning to twist words to fit your own agenda. Let's break all this down shall we?

1. pharrow posted that Barzal wouldn't make as much money playing in a defensive system as he would an offensive system. I disagreed,

2. He then stated that Barzal wouldn't make as much as the guys scoring a 100 points a season if he was only scoring 60. I disagreed again.

3. You then jumped in with a post, picking apart my post and ended it with Barzal isn't worth 10 million, to which I replied that the post wasn't about him being worth 10 million it was about parts 1&2.

4. This must have somehow triggered you because you replied to this post with an off topic rant about Tavares and how I called him a traitor. Something I never stated in my post so I assumed you were talking about my avatar and offered an explanation, NOT an argument.

5. You then claimed I didn't know he was lying to which I replied post that you didn't know he wasn't lying.

6. You then proceeded to take an extremely small portion of my final post, telling me it was the very definition of lying. Even though I never claimed he was lying about the part you quoted. I said he screwed the Islanders over by letting them know he was leaving at the last possible second. Not that he lied about it. It was at this point I knew I was just smashing my face in to the keyboard and had every intention of walking away from this thread. So I conceded. Until your ego got in the way,

No, you're not right!

Maybe if you didn't take everything personally ... like a UFA leaving your team ... you wouldn't have written 6 petty paragraphs that no one is going to read.

Great profile pic by the way.
Jan. 11, 2021 at 4:55 a.m.
Quoting: LeafsFan4Ever34
Did Lou actually do something right?

In my opinion, Lou lives for today. Back in the 90's with the Devils he was a long-term planner. Now, he loads up every year, spending big on UFA's in a desperate attempt to win now. Lee, Nelson, Eberle, Leo, and Pageau, lol. He's getting old and he's not looking to make the Isles a winner 5 years from now.
Jan. 11, 2021 at 11:05 a.m.
For an RFA deal, this is fair, nothing to write home about, but definitely not an overpayment. In terms of the value the player will bring over the term, this deal is excellent, as most RFA deals are. Barzal has a lot of leverage at the end of this term, he will essentially just negotiate for UFA money with term, or take his QO or arbitration number and walk himself to UFA status in 4 or 5 years, but NYI likely gets him underpaid for 3 years, then if things are working, he's young enough that UFA money on an 8 year term shouldn't be a risky bet, and if it's obvious he wants out, you an probably still get a decent return.
Jan. 12, 2021 at 3:14 a.m.
GM67
Incredible VALUE
Jan. 13, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
Raggy
Quoting: Hockyluv21
The real stinkers from the Snow era are going to finally vanish after Barzal's 3rd year. That's what the Isles are waiting for.

Some players are off the books, but the Isles will also need to sign a lot of players before they are off. Plus, lots of $ still tied up with Lee, Eberle, Pageau, etc by that time.

For sure can work around it, but will need to lock in Sorokin, Pulock, Pelech, Beau all right before that.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit