SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New York Islanders signed Mathew Barzal (3 Years / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 9, 2021 at 1:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Unfortunately, we're going to have to trade someone now. Still a great signing!
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 1:46 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Unfortunately, we're going to have to trade someone now. Still a great signing!

Think Boychuk just goes onto LITR and it's fine.
Joe_La_Garnotte, SadSensFan14, AndrewLadd and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 2:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Now lets see if he can take it to the next level. Cause Islanders need that elite superstar 30goal scoring center to return and rn Barzel while good needs to get on that level for a potential cup
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 2:54 p.m.
Hockey IQ
The "My Team coulda drafted him" comments are coming....
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
Good deal for him and with a QA of 8,4 he’ll get some cash when the deal ends
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 3:39 p.m.
Banned
It's a good deal for Barzal not so sure for NY.
Look, lets be honest, if it's the system holding him back point wise than it's the system holding him back $$ wise.
That's been the argument has it not.

So he gets 1 year left after this deal and can choose to jet. If they signed him for 2 years it's a bit more of a different situation when it comes time to do a long term deal no?

Not sure how I feel about this one.
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 4:01 p.m.
You owe us picks
Quoting: pharrow
It's a good deal for Barzal not so sure for NY.
Look, lets be honest, if it's the system holding him back point wise than it's the system holding him back $$ wise.
That's been the argument has it not.

Winning is more fun than personal glory just ask Eichel. It's not the system holding him back from getting the big bucks it's the fact they have far too many bad contracts still on the books they can't move. Ladd, Komorov just to name a couple. The best part of this bridge is that in 3 years when it's time to renegotiate Barzals deal. All those contracts will be gone.
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 4:13 p.m.
sen krak fan
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Oh yeah it’s not like I’ve ever posted this contract and people were like “BarZal iS gOnNa WaNt aT lEaSt 18 MiL a YeAr.”

Same here.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 4:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Rokk
Winning is more fun than personal glory just ask Eichel. It's not the system holding him back from getting the big bucks it's the fact they have far too many bad contracts still on the books they can't move. Ladd, Komorov just to name a couple. The best part of this bridge is that in 3 years when it's time to renegotiate Barzals deal. All those contracts will be gone.

this simply is not true. They play a defensive system. It's not meant for high scoring games and it does hold guys who can fly like Barzal back. You can be on TB Barzal wouldn't be a 60 pt player and that's the point I am making here. It's not the other contracts either, teammates etc... It's the style of play. You got a guy I think most people would say is capable of 90-100 pts, but a system is holding him back and that effects his $$$$$.
I don't know why you would even try to argue otherwise.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 4:26 p.m.
You owe us picks
this simply is not true. They play a defensive system. It's not meant for high scoring games and it does hold guys who can fly like Barzal back. You can be on TB Barzal wouldn't be a 60 pt player and that's the point I am making here. It's not the other contracts either, teammates etc... It's the style of play. You got a guy I think most people would say is capable of 90-100 pts, but a system is holding him back and that effects his $$$$$.
I don't know why you would even try to argue otherwise.

I don't think Barzal cares if he scores 60 or a 100 points a season as long as he's winning. That's a Tavares thing and look how far that offensive system as gone in the playoffs. I disagree it's not the system holding him back from getting paid. If the Islanders had the cap space (which they don't) Barzal easily would be getting about 10 million a season even though he's in a defensive system. At the end of this deal they need to offer him 8.4 million just to qualify him and that's just the starting point of the negotiations.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 4:32 p.m.
Majors and minors
its for the team... if He doesn't perform, buyout options. Not so good if you're Barzal.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
Quoting: TheFlamingC
At least now we have a great contract to use in those best team under with # ELC challenges

I wouldn't use Barzal at $7,000,000
Jan. 9, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.
I don't think Barzal cares if he scores 60 or a 100 points a season as long as he's winning. That's a Tavares thing.

Tavares was on the Islanders about 5 years longer than Barzal has been.
Barzal might not even last as long as Tavares. We don't know the future.
We also don't know what Barzal is thinking.

And look how far offensive systems have gone in the playoffs.

This highest scoring team in the NHL over the past 3 years just won the Stanley Cup.

If the Islanders had the cap space (which they don't) Barzal easily would be getting about 10 million a season even.

Barzal isn't worth 10 million a season.
Especially as a restricted free agent.
Especially with covid revenue loss.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 5:04 p.m.
Banned
I don't think Barzal cares if he scores 60 or a 100 points a season as long as he's winning. That's a Tavares thing and look how far that offensive system as gone in the playoffs. I disagree it's not the system holding him back from getting paid. If the Islanders had the cap space (which they don't) Barzal easily would be getting about 10 million a season even though he's in a defensive system. At the end of this deal they need to offer him 8.4 million just to qualify him and that's just the starting point of the negotiations.

look at the end of the day players get a short window of getting paid. They aren't out there risking CTE simply to "win" why do you think they all make tons of money. At the end of the day they want paid too, instead of someone else getting "their" money, be it owners, other guys etc... You got young guys getting paid a whole lot more than 7 mil per. Point being, if he views himself as equal and capable of putting up 100 points he's got to be wondering where his is too and what's stopping him from getting it. Team only goes so far. Crosby was always looked at as "team" friendly. But when he signed he was the highest paid player in the league. Make no doubt on that. Guys play for $, Let me know at the end of their career about how they make a move for a cup win when no one is going to pay them big money anyway.
It's not just a JT thing. You didn't see Hall take less to go content. These guys get 1 shot at a long term big money deal. 1 They have to make the most of it. If the system is what's holding him back, a saying from the fan base itself, what do you think the player is thinking. That's the point. Not saying he can't resign there. Just that it would have been wiser to do 2 years so you had more control going into that final year. As the final year sits now. If he's not even close to a 100 pt player in this system. He's got to start wondering if it's time to move on before he gets his next contract.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
You owe us picks
Quoting: drewjenkins
Tavares was on the Islanders about 5 years longer than Barzal has been.
Barzal might not even last as long as Tavares. We don't know the future.
We also don't know what Barzal is thinking.

This highest scoring team in the NHL over the past 3 years just won the Stanley Cup.

Barzal isn't worth 10 million a season.
Especially as a restricted free agent.
Especially with covid revenue loss.

Tavares was there longer true, playing in an offensive system designed entirely around him and he left because he couldn't win on Long Island and wanted to play for a team he thought had a better chance of winning, why? because losing isn't fun. You're right nobody knows what Barzal is thinking but I can guarantee there's about a 99.9% chance he enjoys winning.

People seem to forget that Tampa also has one of the best defensive cores in the league despite the fact they're an offense team. That defense generates offensive opportunities for them.

My argument wasn't that Barzal was worth 10 million. He stated it was defensive system holding him back from being paid the big bucks which is false. He'll make as money playing in a Trotz system as a guy playing in an offensive system.
bhavikp27 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
Tavares was there longer true, playing in an offensive system designed entirely around him and he left because he couldn't win on Long Island and wanted to play for a team he thought had a better chance of winning, why? because losing isn't fun.

I mean ... Maybe he left because he and his wife both grew up in Toronto, and they wanted to start a family in the same city as their parents.
You and I would definitely consider that kind of stuff if we were choosing where to live for the first time in our career.
That would 100% mean more to me any on the job issues. What if a parent isn't likely to live 8 more years?

Hockey players are just humans bro ... Calling someone a traitor for living where they want to live is just sad and misguided.
Go live in Winnipeg for the next 8 years OK? No? Not down? WTF man people you don't know expect you there! Traitor!
Sounds stupid right?
Jan. 9, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mondo
Think Boychuk just goes onto LITR and it's fine.

I forgot about that.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 6:14 p.m.
You owe us picks
I mean ... Maybe he left because he and his wife both grew up in Toronto, and they wanted to start a family in the same city as their parents.
You and I would definitely consider that kind of stuff if we were choosing where to live for the first time in our career.
That would 100% mean more to me any on the job issues. What if a parent isn't likely to live 8 more years?

Hockey players are just humans bro ... Calling someone a traitor for living where they want to live is just sad and misguided.
Go live in Winnipeg for the next 8 years OK? No? Not down? WTF man people you don't know expect you there! Traitor!
Sounds stupid right?

What does any of that have to do with Barzal not being paid the same type of money as someone playing in an offensive system?

Or are you referring to my avatar? That's easily explainable he stated numerous times he wanted to be here. He told management on more than one occasion don't trade me. They should have anyways that's on them but I likely would have taken him on his word as well. Then come free agency he gives the middle finger to everyone and with out actually saying the words "you get nothing for me, sucks to be the Islanders". I don't care that he left or what his reasons were.

He just out right lied about everything and then bolted. In my eyes it was an attempt to screw over the organization. He didn't even let the Islanders know he was leaving until the last possible second and by then the majority of UFA's at the time signed elsewhere so Lou ended up having to sign the scraps left over. Knowing what I know now, I'm glad he's gone the Islanders are a better team because of it. hell we even won a playoff series in Toronto before he did.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
Buljujarvi
Quoting: DavidAyers
Solid deal, kinda thought it would be a Point like deal,

then there were 5

four because id be shocked if roslovic signs
Jan. 9, 2021 at 6:54 p.m.
What does any of that have to do with Barzal not being paid the same type of money as someone playing in an offensive system?

Or are you referring to my avatar? That's easily explainable he stated numerous times he wanted to be here. He told management on more than one occasion don't trade me. They should have anyways that's on them but I likely would have taken him on his word as well. Then come free agency he gives the middle finger to everyone and with out actually saying the words "you get nothing for me, sucks to be the Islanders". I don't care that he left or what his reasons were.

He just out right lied about everything and then bolted. In my eyes it was an attempt to screw over the organization. He didn't even let the Islanders know he was leaving until the last possible second and by then the majority of UFA's at the time signed elsewhere so Lou ended up having to sign the scraps left over. Knowing what I know now, I'm glad he's gone the Islanders are a better team because of it. hell we even won a playoff series in Toronto before he did.

I directly responded to your quote, which also related to your picture.

And ya that attitude is sad man. Who knows when he made up his mind.

And Lou was a brand new GM that summer. Maybe he just didn't like Lou or his vision for the team.

Either way ... you have no idea if he lied.
Jan. 9, 2021 at 7:02 p.m.
I wouldn't use Barzal at $7,000,000

It’s a pretty good value though
Jan. 9, 2021 at 7:27 p.m.
Please win the cup
About time....
Jan. 9, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.
You owe us picks
I directly responded to your quote, which also related to your picture.

And ya that attitude is sad man. Who knows when he made up his mind.

And Lou was a brand new GM that summer. Maybe he just didn't like Lou or his vision for the team.

Either way ... you have no idea if he lied.

I have a pretty good idea he lied since there was countless media posts and videos of him quoting how much he loved Long Island and didn't want to leave. I trust Lou's word more than I trust his and Lou was on record as saying he never knew his decision until he had already made up his mind. I'm not going to hunt all these things down for you, feel free to do it yourself though.

Either way you have no idea he didn't lie. See what I did there?
Jan. 9, 2021 at 10:02 p.m.
look at the end of the day players get a short window of getting paid. They aren't out there risking CTE simply to "win" why do you think they all make tons of money. At the end of the day they want paid too, instead of someone else getting "their" money, be it owners, other guys etc... You got young guys getting paid a whole lot more than 7 mil per. Point being, if he views himself as equal and capable of putting up 100 points he's got to be wondering where his is too and what's stopping him from getting it. Team only goes so far. Crosby was always looked at as "team" friendly. But when he signed he was the highest paid player in the league. Make no doubt on that. Guys play for $, Let me know at the end of their career about how they make a move for a cup win when no one is going to pay them big money anyway.
It's not just a JT thing. You didn't see Hall take less to go content. These guys get 1 shot at a long term big money deal. 1 They have to make the most of it. If the system is what's holding him back, a saying from the fan base itself, what do you think the player is thinking. That's the point. Not saying he can't resign there. Just that it would have been wiser to do 2 years so you had more control going into that final year. As the final year sits now. If he's not even close to a 100 pt player in this system. He's got to start wondering if it's time to move on before he gets his next contract.

I'm not trying to say "your opinion is wrong", however I don't think you are taking into account that it is in fact just your specific opinion. I am always wary of putting my worldview on others, and I fear you are doing that here. Trying to psycho- analyze things like personal motivations is extremely complicated. What motivates a specific individual varies greatly and there is alot of nuance to it.
Jan. 10, 2021 at 12:26 a.m.
Old school GM Lou was easy to predict he'll give 7 million, just like what Lee got.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit