Forums/Armchair-GM

Future without the current Core

Created by: Silkysmooth42
Team: 2020-21 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 10, 2021
Published: Jan. 10, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I just wanted to experiment on something because its a tough one.
Obviously the bruins current core is getting a bit older, so one might think they are going to need to rebuild soon.
My thought is that like 2015-2017, they might just need another mini-rebuild to recover from a few guys. So here is the current team (no Additions), but without the current "core"

LISTEN: its not perfect. This by itself isnt a spectacular team right now nor may guys like Beecher or Studnicka reach their full potential, BUT its a damn good look so a quick analysis: (everything is speculative and I am being as realistic and not hopeful as possible so no "homer" bs lol)

First off: that defense, MY GOD ITS BEAUTIFUL. The right side is what it is now but better, and with Urho, a mature Griz, and your choice of Zboril/Lauzon on the 3rd pair its well rounded.

Goalies: A little more speculative, but Swayman is playing really well, just nearly won the Hobey Baker for college hockey, and has plenty of time and room to develop into a great goalie. Vladar was already ok, given another year or two he can be a solid backup.

Forwards: this is where it gets hard... Pasta is Pasta, Debrusk is debrusk and hopefully will mature and find his consistancy. Bjork Coyle Wags and Kuraly do their thing (and bjork will get even better with time). Beecher and Stud are both top 6 prospect, hopefully develop to fill the roles. Freddy is looking good but isnt likely gonna have a ceiling much higher than a reallllly good 3rd liner (just how he plays) I threw senyshyn in for fun cuz he might get a chance, and you know the deal with Ritchie and Kase. So who knows, but its fun anyway...
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
Trades
BOS
    The Current "OLD CORE GUYS" i suppose
    ANA
    1. Bergeron, Patrice
    2. Halák, Jaroslav
    3. Krejci, David
    4. Marchand, Brad
    5. Miller, Kevan
    6. Rask, Tuukka
    7. Smith, Craig
    Additional Details:
    (Smith and Halak are not "Core" but just old guys that they wont have)
    BOS
    1. 2023 7th round pick (ANA)
    Additional Details:
    Screw Moore.
    He isnt a cap dump, but to make everyone happy can we just agree to say this because its weird when we see "Moore and a 3rd for a 6th", like no the bruins arent giving up a 3rd to give away a solid top 6 dman
    ANA
    1. Moore, John
    2. 2023 6th round pick (BOS)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ANA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$46,280,648$964,222$932,500$35,219,352
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $3,675,000$3,675,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $769,167$769,167 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
    RW, C
    RFA - 2
    $6,666,667$6,666,667
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,498,925$1,498,925
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 6
    $700,000$700,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $4,900,000$4,900,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
    G
    RFA - 3
    $3,687,500$3,687,500
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $2,850,000$2,850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 11:49 a.m.
    I’ve always thought that our youth was a little under appreciated. I’d even add guys in like Lauko (3rd or 4th line), Lohrei (Bottom pair), or Kuntar (Middle 6) into that core. I think that the Bruins may be out of the playoffs for a year or two as they retool, but won’t be as terrible as the Avalanche of a few years ago.
    Silkysmooth42 liked this.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: BruinsFan35
    I’ve always thought that our youth was a little under appreciated. I’d even add guys in like Lauko (3rd or 4th line), Lohrei (Bottom pair), or Kuntar (Middle 6) into that core. I think that the Bruins may be out of the playoffs for a year or two as they retool, but won’t be as terrible as the Avalanche of a few years ago.

Oh absolutely! I agree but I didnt wanna be called a "homer" by overrating prospects.
    But you are completely right and the bruins prospects are always very underrated. Even Oskar Steen is better than he used to be so like he could be a middle 6 guy maybe
    BruinsFan35 liked this.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
    Edited Jan. 10, 2021 at 12:08 p.m.
    Quoting: Silkysmooth42
    Oh absolutely! I agree but I didnt wanna be called a "homer" by overrating prospects.
    But you are completely right and the bruins prospects are always very underrated. Even Oskar Steen is better than he used to be so like he could be a middle 6 guy maybe

And Sweeney always seems good for one good find in the late rounds, so maybe we’ll see Langenbruner or Duran blossom into a good depth guy as well. And I’m still hoping that guys like Quinn Olsen, Curtis Hall,and Jake Schmaltz can continue to develop into role players too.
    Edit: a couple late round prospects are Berglund, Steen, and Mantykivi.
    Silkysmooth42 liked this.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
    Curtis Hall could push for a bottom 6 power forward role. Keyser another solid goalie that will be in the mix.

Don’t see Lauzon going from 1st pairing LD this year to being buried back on 3rd pair offside. He’d have to fail miserably for that. Probably going to have to fight to keep him from Seattle.
    BruinsFan35 and Silkysmooth42 liked this.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 12:40 p.m.
    They need to draft a C this year if available
    Gofnut999 liked this.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 12:58 p.m.
    I’m curious to see how many of their C prospects end up on the wing. Pool is very shallow in that department compared to other positions. Studs and Frederick come to mind. I know the team likes them in the middle ling term, but Studs especially won’t play any real minutes at C this year.

Which brings me to a question:
    I know that any time an ACGM team comes out with Studs on the 4th line everyone immediately dismisses it. But hear me out: his coaches at Providence loved his 200 foot game and put him the PK1. Cassidy has already given him PK minutes in camp showing what he thinks of Studnika’s defensive game. Would giving him some time on the 4th line be such a waste of his time? If he’s going to stick in Boston this year after Pasta comes back where does he play? The top 3 lines are set at center and RW so does he spend the year in Providence again developing more at center or get more reps at the NHL level sliding up and down the line up? Also consider just how bad the 4th line was last year (on both ends of the ice). Does getting a little more skill on that line help?

Just curious to see what people think
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 1:45 p.m.
    How far in the future is this projection? Because im sure marchand will still be around with how long that contract is
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 2:29 p.m.
    Quoting: mhockey91

Yup, and that is still their deepest forward position prospect wise. The next couple of drafts can’t have any misses or an more going way off the board.
    mhockey91 liked this.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 2:30 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: mhockey91

Quoting: dpdan
    I’m curious to see how many of their C prospects end up on the wing. Pool is very shallow in that department compared to other positions. Studs and Frederick come to mind. I know the team likes them in the middle ling term, but Studs especially won’t play any real minutes at C this year.

Which brings me to a question:
    I know that any time an ACGM team comes out with Studs on the 4th line everyone immediately dismisses it. But hear me out: his coaches at Providence loved his 200 foot game and put him the PK1. Cassidy has already given him PK minutes in camp showing what he thinks of Studnika’s defensive game. Would giving him some time on the 4th line be such a waste of his time? If he’s going to stick in Boston this year after Pasta comes back where does he play? The top 3 lines are set at center and RW so does he spend the year in Providence again developing more at center or get more reps at the NHL level sliding up and down the line up? Also consider just how bad the 4th line was last year (on both ends of the ice). Does getting a little more skill on that line help?

Just curious to see what people think

Nah of course this is where the speculation comes in, Freddy, Beecher, Stud, Becker, Steen are all Center prospects that could certainly crack the roster
    But then there is Stud who can play RW, Freddy might move to LW, Steen is starting to look like a Rw, so who knows. Obviously there is nothing wrong with drafting Centers cuz it seems like its easier to move from C to Wing than from Wing to C...

@dpdan to your next point. I honestly dont know. I feel like 4th line minutes wont be good for him, but I am also not an NHL coach / GM... Also yeah this is why I hated the Smith signing. Im sure he is a good middle 6 guy, but between Stud, Kase, Bjork, Coyle, and a bunch of other guys, it creates the problem where they dont have space for some of these guys to play now! who knows but all good points yall
    dpdan liked this.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 2:31 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Gofnut999
    Curtis Hall could push for a bottom 6 power forward role. Keyser another solid goalie that will be in the mix.

Don’t see Lauzon going from 1st pairing LD this year to being buried back on 3rd pair offside. He’d have to fail miserably for that. Probably going to have to fight to keep him from Seattle.

Absolutely, like I said to the other guy, I am being as conservative as possible as to not be called a hOmEr, lol cuz like Steen and Lauko both look good too, but people will just be like "mehhhh u r overrating bruins prospects again"
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: KennyBoi
    How far in the future is this projection? Because im sure marchand will still be around with how long that contract is

Idk but good point. I guess that was my point here is people are saying they might need to rebuild so my point is, idk if they do. This team is like pretty ok, but they will still have Marchy and even Bergy for a little bit. Krejci can keep coming back too. Smith just signed there so thats at least 2 or 3 years.

This is just very very general "future" stuff
    KennyBoi liked this.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
    Nah of course this is where the speculation comes in, Freddy, Beecher, Stud, Becker, Steen are all Center prospects that could certainly crack the roster
    But then there is Stud who can play RW, Freddy might move to LW, Steen is starting to look like a Rw, so who knows. Obviously there is nothing wrong with drafting Centers cuz it seems like its easier to move from C to Wing than from Wing to C...

@dpdan to your next point. I honestly dont know. I feel like 4th line minutes wont be good for him, but I am also not an NHL coach / GM... Also yeah this is why I hated the Smith signing. Im sure he is a good middle 6 guy, but between Stud, Kase, Bjork, Coyle, and a bunch of other guys, it creates the problem where they dont have space for some of these guys to play now! who knows but all good points yall

Steen will likely never play center in the NHL. Becker might not even make it to Providence.

Studnicka, Beecher, Kuntar is about it. Lauko maybe but i see him as more a LW3, a less talented version of Debrusk. And i doubt any can be C1 at NHL level which is why he made the comment.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 3:12 p.m.
    Banned
    Steen will likely never play center in the NHL. Becker might not even make it to Providence.

Studnicka, Beecher, Kuntar is about it. Lauko maybe but i see him as more a LW3, a less talented version of Debrusk. And i doubt any can be C1 at NHL level which is why he made the comment.

Nah I know. Thats what I was saying in my description lol, and maybe they will go for a Center next year. Who knows. Too much speculation but if I am the Gm right now my top concerns are LHD (to compliment Urho). and then Centers or LW cuz at least they can move to the wing and we have plenty of RWs and RHD... Goalies are fine too unless there is a clear steal
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 3:21 p.m.
    Nah I know. Thats what I was saying in my description lol, and maybe they will go for a Center next year. Who knows. Too much speculation but if I am the Gm right now my top concerns are LHD (to compliment Urho). and then Centers or LW cuz at least they can move to the wing and we have plenty of RWs and RHD... Goalies are fine too unless there is a clear steal

They just drafted Lohrei. No faith? Lol.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 3:25 p.m.
    Banned
    They just drafted Lohrei. No faith? Lol.

I mean I like him, im just sayin
    Centers and LHD are top priority lol
    They also have a solid prospect pool
    idk what else to say lmao
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 3:29 p.m.
    Edited Jan. 10, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
    I mean I like him, im just sayin

Remains to be seen on Lohrei.

B’s have one of the shallowest prospect pools in the league and only 2 or 3 potential above average players in it.

Product of drafting late every year and trading picks for playoff push. Just means they have been competitive. Which is a good thing. But let’s not pretend it’s something it’s not.
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
    Banned
    Remains to be seen on Lohrei.

B’s have one of the shallowest prospect pools in the league and only 2 or 3 potential above average players in it.

Product of drafting late every year and trading picks for playoff push. Just means they have been competitive. Which is a good thing. But let’s not pretend it’s something it’s not.

Ah see thats it right there. You are entitled to your negative outlook on it, but just remember thats your opinion.

Bruins (factually) have a very underrated prospect pool, again as mention with guys like Studnicka who came out of the 2nd round, Lauko and Steen who are both later picks that might still show signs of cracking the team. Swayman from a late round...

These are all opinions, but im being optimistic (and not overly optimistic) so again you are entitled to yours, but no need to keep tryna convince me of your negative outlook because I am gonna choose the more positive (and equally realistic) view.

Again, to make it VERY clear, both looks are reastlic and niether are "Biased" or "homer"...
    Jan. 10, 2021 at 4:06 p.m.
    Ah see thats it right there. You are entitled to your negative outlook on it, but just remember thats your opinion.

Bruins (factually) have a very underrated prospect pool, again as mention with guys like Studnicka who came out of the 2nd round, Lauko and Steen who are both later picks that might still show signs of cracking the team. Swayman from a late round...

These are all opinions, but im being optimistic (and not overly optimistic) so again you are entitled to yours, but no need to keep tryna convince me of your negative outlook because I am gonna choose the more positive (and equally realistic) view.

Again, to make it VERY clear, both looks are reastlic and niether are "Biased" or "homer"...

Lol, go look at any org prospect rankings. Boston is in bottom 5 in any of them. 🤷🏻‍♂️ You can be optimistic, i choose to be realistic.

Forwards - with Studnicka and Frederic making the team what’s left: Beecher, Lauko, Steen, Kuntar, Olsen, Hall, Senyshyn, Filipe, Lantosi. Only one there capable of playing top 6 is Beecher...maybe Lauko.

Defense - Urho and...crickets. The next best might be a guy that went undrafted, Achan, and Lohrei who was a big reach.

Goalies - good here. Darth, Swayman, Keyser very solid.
    Jan. 11, 2021 at 7:59 a.m.
    Banned
    Lol, go look at any org prospect rankings. Boston is in bottom 5 in any of them. 🤷🏻‍♂️ You can be optimistic, i choose to be realistic.

Forwards - with Studnicka and Frederic making the team what’s left: Beecher, Lauko, Steen, Kuntar, Olsen, Hall, Senyshyn, Filipe, Lantosi. Only one there capable of playing top 6 is Beecher...maybe Lauko.

Defense - Urho and...crickets. The next best might be a guy that went undrafted, Achan, and Lohrei who was a big reach.

Goalies - good here. Darth, Swayman, Keyser very solid.

Again, thats what Underrated means. People rate it low, when in reality it isnt so low lmaoooo.
    Its not GOOD, but its certainly not bottom 5. Thats clear as day

Oh and BTW, FUTUREs is different than PROSPECTS
    Their prospect Pool is close to bottom 10, not bottom 5 but bottom 10. But their "Future" is still top 10 easy

Hope this helps!
    Jan. 11, 2021 at 11:01 a.m.
    Edited Jan. 11, 2021 at 12:39 p.m.
    Again, thats what Underrated means. People rate it low, when in reality it isnt so low lmaoooo.

Their prospect Pool is close to bottom 10, not bottom 5 but bottom 10. But their "Future" is still top 10 easy

Hope this helps!

Except we are talking about their prospect pool. And it’s rated pretty spot on. You can rah rah all you want and hope for the best but it is what it is.

I have seen 6 or 7 different publications rankings. Including unbiased professional scouts at the NHL scouting bureau who do this for a living. The rankings have put then between 25-31. The Athletic had them dead last. There is not a large disparity. Pretty universally agreed upon that Boston’s prospect pool is near bottom of the league. So when a fan of the team says “nah, we’re better than that”. It’s kind of laughable. While i appreciate the optimism, it’s unwarranted and you will be disappointed. Those rankings include Studnicka and Frederic as prospects. Grey area as they are on the roster. Without them the ranking drops even more.

I think Pitts and SJ are bottom 2 and the next 6-8 are fairly interchangeable depending on preference.
    Jan. 11, 2021 at 12:50 p.m.
    Banned
    Except we are talking about their prospect pool. And it’s rated pretty spot on. You can rah rah all you want and hope for the best but it is what it is.

I have seen 6 or 7 different publications rankings. Including unbiased professional scouts at the NHL scouting bureau who do this for a living. The rankings have put then between 25-31. The Athletic had them dead last. There is not a large disparity. Pretty universally agreed upon that Boston’s prospect pool is near bottom of the league. So when a fan of the team says “nah, we’re better than that”. It’s kind of laughable. While i appreciate the optimism, it’s unwarranted and you will be disappointed. Those rankings include Studnicka and Frederic as prospects. Grey area as they are on the roster. Without them the ranking drops even more.

I think Pitts and SJ are bottom 2 and the next 6-8 are fairly interchangeable depending on preference.

"Future without the current Core" - title
    No mention of prospect pool whatsoever smile
    come on man
    Jan. 11, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
    [=Silkysmooth42;2039104]I mean I like him, im just sayin
    idk what else to say lmao[/quote]

come on man
    Jan. 11, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
    idk what else to say lmao[/quote]

come on man
    Jan. 11, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
    Banned
    [/quote]

[/quote]

SOLID does not mean Good
    SOLID means they have a couple good prospects, and a bunch of decent prospects but again they are NOT in the bottom 5 nor are they in the top 5 lmao
    But their Future (what we ARE talking about), its a LOT better than people wanna say
    Jan. 11, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
    Banned

Hope this helps!

their future is top 10 easy? and youre not biased? lol experts have them bottom 5 and its clear as day but you know better,youre being optimistic

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll