SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Montreal Canadiens Season Discussion Thread

Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:20 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
What do you mean? They (Chiarot - Weber) have looked just as good as they have since they’ve been together, and their xGF% is 3rd out of D-pairings.

I was basing this on his stats
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: habsfan01
have the 2 PP as Romanov-Mete

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Well 2 kids on a powerplay unit isn't too bad and Mete has decent NHL experience

How would that work? Romanov is a perfect PP quarterback, and Mete is ok at it, but his shot isn’t dangerous which hurts the PP’s effectiveness. And if you put Mete at the point, where does Romanov go? On the right side? I get that Romanov’s a good player, but he wouldn’t be as effective as a one-timer as any of our forwards (like KK or Tatar). It makes no sense to have 2 defensemen on the PP, unless one of them has a slap shot like Weber does where they can be used in the Ovechkin spot. Romanov doesn’t have a better one timer than KK, and he’s a far better point man. In fact, he and Petry are probably the only ideal PP quarterbacks on the team, which is why they are both in the QB spot.

Not to mention the fact that Mete is our 7th best defenseman, so he shouldn’t be in the lineup if everyone is healthy.
habsfan01 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:23 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I was basing this on his stats

Which stats?
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:23 a.m.
Banned
How would that work? Romanov is a perfect PP quarterback, and Mete is ok at it, but his shot isn’t dangerous which hurts the PP’s effectiveness. And if you put Mete at the point, where does Romanov go? On the right side? I get that Romanov’s a good player, but he wouldn’t be as effective as a one-timer as any of our forwards (like KK or Tatar). It makes no sense to have 2 defensemen on the PP, unless one of them has a slap shot like Weber does where they can be used in the Ovechkin spot. Romanov doesn’t have a better one timer than KK, and he’s a far better point man. In fact, he and Petry are probably the only ideal PP quarterbacks on the team, which is why they are both in the QB spot.

Not to mention the fact that Mete is our 7th best defenseman, so he shouldn’t be in the lineup if everyone is healthy.

mete is better than Kulak. i was thinking mete act as the 4th fwd passing it to gally and romanov (who are on the point) on the 2nd pp unit
Jan. 18, 2021 at 1:03 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
mete is better than Kulak. i was thinking mete act as the 4th fwd passing it to gally and romanov (who are on the point) on the 2nd pp unit

Mete definitely is not better than Kulak. He’s a good player, but not as good as Kulak.

And having Mete as a passer, you’re essentially just getting a worse version of Jordan Weal. KK is a better passer than Mete, in addition to being a threat with both his wrister and one-timer.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 1:06 p.m.
Banned
Mete definitely is not better than Kulak. He’s a good player, but not as good as Kulak.

And having Mete as a passer, you’re essentially just getting a worse version of Jordan Weal. KK is a better passer than Mete, in addition to being a threat with both his wrister and one-timer.

are we talkinjg about the same mete
Jan. 18, 2021 at 1:09 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
are we talkinjg about the same mete

In regards to what? The passing, or being better than Kulak?

I think you’re underrating Kulak. He’s a good defenseman, and while Mete is too, he just isn’t as good as Kulak.

If you’re talking about him being a better option than KK, I have no idea where you’re coming from.
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 1:11 p.m.
Banned
In regards to what? The passing, or being better than Kulak?

I think you’re underrating Kulak. He’s a good defenseman, and while Mete is too, he just isn’t as good as Kulak.

If you’re talking about him being a better option than KK, I have no idea where you’re coming from.

kulak is a 5-6-7 defenceman at his peak. you can have 2 passers on a pp unit. kulak has 0 offencive capabilites
Jan. 18, 2021 at 1:14 p.m.

Kulak is better right now, Mete will be better in a few seasons. My take
habsfan01 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HabsFan77
Kulak is better right now, Mete will be better in a few seasons. My take

maybe (about kulak being better) mete i agree will be good
nickthehabsfan liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
kulak is a 5-6-7 defenceman at his peak. you can have 2 passers on a pp unit. kulak has 0 offencive capabilites

Sure Kulak’s passing looks a bit stiff, (just like Weber and Chiarot) but that doesn’t mean he’s a bad passer. Mete can sometimes have those plays where he makes a mistake defensively, whereas Kulak is solid all around. Obviously Mete has more room to grow, but I’d say Kulak is better at the moment, which is why he’s playing and Mete isn’t.

As for the PP, yes, you can have 2 passers, which we already have in Romanov & KK. However, by replacing KK with Mete, you end up with 0 threats on the one timer, other than if Mete is super deep and is able to get it through bodies to Gallagher. A PP without a one timer is going to struggle, especially when you only have 2 real scoring threats, and one is the bumper.
habsfan01 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 4:11 p.m.
Jake Allen is starting tonight. Let's see how it goes
A_Habs_fan and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:14 p.m.
WentWughes
Jake Allen is starting tonight. Let's see how it goes

About how we expected up to this point
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:16 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
About how we expected up to this point

pretty sure we didn't expect a you know what against McDavid.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:33 p.m.
pretty sure we didn't expect a you know what against McDavid.

Dang it I ruined it. Sorry guys...unsure
KSIxSKULLS and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:37 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Alexander Romanov 1st NHL goal! Awesome, and he certainly didn’t need to wait as long as we did for our 3 previous rookie D in Fleury, Mete, and Juulsen. Lehky with a great shot, showing that great release that we don’t see enough anymore.

Really solid game for Allen. It appears we finally have a good backup for the first time since Jaroslav Halák was traded.

The PK was great, however the fact that they needed to be was disconcerting. The Armia penalty was a typical lazy Armia penalty, which isn’t great. I won’t fault Romanov & Weber on the cross-checks though, since it seems like there’s a bit of a changing in the standards there. The other ones weren’t terrible, but the amount was what was dangerous.

Anderson’s absence scared me for a bit, but it’s good to see he’s ok. Also, Edmundson showed that he can definitely play on the right side if need be.

Also, Schiiler jinxed Carter Hutton’s shutout, which was funny.

Overall loving the habs game right now. (Other than the penalties.) Hopefully we can keep it rolling against a struggling Canucks team on Wednesday.
nickthehabsfan and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:40 p.m.
Alexander Romanov 1st NHL goal! Awesome, and he certainly didn’t need to wait as long as we did for our 3 previous rookie D in Fleury, Mete, and Juulsen. Lehky with a great shot, showing that great release that we don’t see enough anymore.

Really solid game for Allen. It appears we finally have a good backup for the first time since Jaroslav Halák was traded.

The PK was great, however the fact that they needed to be was disconcerting. The Armia penalty was a typical lazy Armia penalty, which isn’t great. I won’t fault Romanov & Weber on the cross-checks though, since it seems like there’s a bit of a changing in the standards there. The other ones weren’t terrible, but the amount was what was dangerous.

Anderson’s absence scared me for a bit, but it’s good to see he’s ok. Also, Edmundson showed that he can definitely play on the right side if need be.

Also, Schiiler jinxed Carter Hutton’s shutout, which was funny.

Overall loving the habs game right now. (Other than the penalties.) Hopefully we can keep it rolling against a struggling Canucks team on Wednesday.

Thank god Romanov didn't have to wait as long as Mete! And how did you write everything so fast!?!
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:48 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Thank god Romanov didn't have to wait as long as Mete! And how did you write everything so fast!?!

I wrote it as the game was going on, lol.
nickthehabsfan liked this.
Jan. 18, 2021 at 11:50 p.m.
I wrote it as the game was going on, lol.

dedication
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 19, 2021 at 9:10 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Aww. 😊

A_Habs_fan and nickthehabsfan liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 12:55 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Well that sucked.

So discipline, which was our biggest problem through 3 games, has bitten us in the butt.
The first 2 penalties are inexcusable. Tatar with the useless hooking penalty 18 seconds in, and Chiarot’s holding penalty was plain stupid and lead to the Canucks’ 1st goal.
The KK penalty was BS. What the hell could he have said that warrants a penalty? People argue with calls/non-calls all the time. This reeks of ageism in officiating to me. I guarantee the ref wouldn’t give Shea Weber a penalty for doing the same thing.
The Kulak and Anderson penalties were ridiculous. After watching this and the Oilers game, it seems like some refs are trying to crack down on any contact between players that isn’t a hit.
Overall officiating was terrible, but at least it didn’t decide the game.

Carey didn’t look himself tonight. Especially in the shootout. Hopefully he bounces back on Saturday. (Or maybe it’s the curse of the red pads, in which case, he should switch them immediately)

Anyways, now that I’ve gotten all that out of my system, I’ll focus on the positives.

Nick Suzuki’s hands are just ridiculous. This man is going to be a star in this league.

Phenomenal game by Tyler Toffoli, and KK was really good too.

5-on-5 it was a pretty good game overall, but the penalties just killed us.

And if we needed to lose a game against Vancouver, I’m thankful it’s the 1st game since this one doesn’t count towards the tiebreaker.
nickthehabsfan, Campabee, SevenLeg and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:24 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Well that sucked.

So discipline, which was our biggest problem through 3 games, has bitten us in the butt.
The first 2 penalties are inexcusable. Tatar with the useless hooking penalty 18 seconds in, and Chiarot’s holding penalty was plain stupid and lead to the Canucks’ 1st goal.
The KK penalty was BS. What the hell could he have said that warrants a penalty? People argue with calls/non-calls all the time. This reeks of ageism in officiating to me. I guarantee the ref wouldn’t give Shea Weber a penalty for doing the same thing.
The Kulak and Anderson penalties were ridiculous. After watching this and the Oilers game, it seems like some refs are trying to crack down on any contact between players that isn’t a hit.

Carey didn’t look himself tonight. Especially in the shootout. Hopefully he bounces back on Saturday. (Or maybe it’s the curse of the red pads, in which case, he should switch them immediately)

Anyways, now that I’ve gotten all that out of my system, I’ll focus on the positives.

Nick Suzuki’s hands are just ridiculous. This man is going to be a star in this league.

And if we needed to lose a game against Vancouver, I’m thankful it’s the 1st game since this one doesn’t count towards the tiebreaker.

Yeah Price wasn't on point. Not gonna blame him on the PP goals, but that 5th goal right after Toffoli's hat trick was rough. Penalties is starting to hurt the Habs. I can live with the "roughing" ones for playing physical, but those puck over glass and holding penalties gotta go!
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:48 a.m.
Well that sucked.

I know we are on different sides of the why we lost in the SO. However you bring up some really good points here.

1. Price wasn't price no denying that but the reffing didn't help either like you pointed out.
2. KK and Toffoli look like the chemistry is finally building.
3. All 4 lines were really wearing down the Canucks all game at 5 on 5.
4. CJ played the OT really well by having the guys try to end it. It was exciting to watch unlike that 1st game with Toronto.
5. IMO CJ should have continued the momentum of the game and OT into the shootout. Go with the hot hands. I know Toffoli missed his shot but Drouin and Byron were not factors in the game and thus shouldn't have been in the shootout IMO.
6. Really happy with the points and our team looks to be even better than what was expected. We just have to get the PK working better and draw some more penalties ourselves.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:20 p.m.
I was just looking on my ESPN fantasy league, and looking at the top rated players so far based on stats, and for Dmen, the top 5 is
1. Weber
2. Chychrun
3. Petry
4. Romanov
5. Nurse
3 habs defensemen in the top 5 is awesome
SevenLeg and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
saw this on an agm thought it would be good here too. Who would be in these categories for the habs:
Speed (fastest):
Age (player that you are like he's only __ years old!?!):
Skill (best combination of IQ, speed, hands, etc:
Points (who gets the most points):
Defense (player that when they are guarding a one on one you are like; he will stop this):
Contract (best contract value this season NO ELC):
Hands (best hands):
Best offensive defenseman:
Best defensive forward:
Strongest:

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll