SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Chicago Blackhawks

things I noticed in game 1

Jan. 14, 2021 at 2:47 a.m.
1. First things first, our team is slow. Like really slow. We could use a speedster or 2. I think thats one of the elements I'm most excited for in Reichel. Nylander is fast but he can get a little bit ahead of himself sometimes. Need someone who can use their speed and carry the puck in.

2. 12-17-88 doesnt work. Something just doesnt work between them at 5v5 and its very frustrating. I think we do this by putting the 12-17-65 line back together that looked decent last year and we give Kubalik and Suter a chance to play with Kane and see if that can bring some of the offense out, because I tell ya, Pirri isnt the guy. He's too damn slow. I don't think either line is really ready for 1st line minutes so I would say they both see a decent amount of time, with Kane doing the double shift thing when Shaw starts to be stupid.

3. Our defense wasn't the worst. Boqvist made some mistakes, Z made some mistakes, Mitchell made some mistakes, but as a whole, I felt most of the errors were made by the forwards, which is alarming because we signed a bunch of "defensive forwards." Murphy looked like our best player the whole night. Wallmark and Janmark looked iffy at best and theyre both pretty slow, which never helps. Our 4th line was our best line because they actually looked like they gave a damn, and sure, they gave up some good defensive zone chances, but they had the best offensive chances all night so I'll call it even. I was never the biggest fan of carpenter cuz the dude has bricks for hands, but atleast he makes stuff happen.

4. Subban isn't the answer. He's fine, and he wasn't at fault for half of the goals, but he is out of position a lot and gives up a **** ton of rebounds. He's 27. He isn't gonna get better. Give me delia and Lankinen.

5. Back to the speed point. Put Kurashev in for Wallmark or Janmark. We aren't going to have quality chances if our bottom 6 is made up of plugs. You gotta put some offensive potential in there to make stuff happen. At his worst, I don't think he is worse than what we saw tonight. At best, maybe he shows up and proves himself worthy of the spot. Also, I'd like to see Kalynuk get a rotation in for Zadorov at some point. He probably isn't the answer defensively, but if we aren't going to be able to score a goal, what's the point?

Idk. Game wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe we could take a couple games off of detroit at this rate.
exo2769 and Earth liked this.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 2:49 a.m.
Your making positive suggestions like what they want is to be better.
CannaHawk liked this.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 5:03 a.m.
Backn 2da leff-JFK
AHL coach, AHL goalies, AHL plugs. Keep the team cheap as possible while they tank two more years.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 7:10 a.m.
CHI NYI
It’s funny, because I wasn’t really paying too close attention after the first ten minutes (was watching MTL/TOR, among other things) but I noticed almost everything you noticed too lol.

Agree with your points, especially the second one. I like 12-17-65 in theory and would like to see it tried again, even though it wasn’t amazing last year. 8-24-88 isn’t a horrible idea either. Really wasn’t feeling Subban, hopefully Delia starts tomorrow, much higher on him anyways.

I really liked the addition of defense-first forwards like Janmark and Wallmark, but yeah I think we have too many now. They’re slow, don’t create offense and can’t get out of the DZ. If that holds true, they’re no better than forwards who are okay offensively but can’t play defense.
exo2769 and SlickWilly liked this.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 8:20 a.m.
exo2769
I was thinking exactly the same thing with the lines. Thats a PP forward group. Not a 5v5 forward group. Swap Shaw and Kane. Kubalik and Suter looked fine to me. Kane should add a different element to their game. Shaw will add more grit and EFFORT.

Subban isn't the answer. I was tough on him after the 1st because it was bad. It was also game one of the season....against a REALLY good team...and his first time with a real chance at being a starter. He probably had rust/nerves. You're 100% right though, he gave up WAY too many rebounds.
SlickWilly liked this.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 12:09 p.m.
When I heard Shaw was going to be back this season I thought it was a no brainer to put him with Debrincat and strome. They really clicked last season. I also like Kane and Kubalik together, they’ve shown good chemistry anytime they’re on the ice together. Who will center that line, I’m not sure.

Didn’t think the defense was terrible. Thought we looked bad for lack of effort. I did not agree with starting subban. That should have been Delia for opening night. It’s only been one game against the best team in the league though. Let’s give the goalies some time. Didn’t like Pirri a whole lot. Colliton said Kurashev will be in the mix this season. I expect him to take Pirri’s spot next game.
SlickWilly and exo2769 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll