Forums/Armchair-GM

Saving lou and trotz

Created by: Islesforthecup
Team: 2020-21 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 14, 2021
Published: Jan. 14, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This has to happen by game 2 for me to still believe in them.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,819,166$0$3,387,500$3,680,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 4
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$786,666$786,666 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000 ($1,425,000$1M$1,425,000$1M)
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 14, 2021 at 7:00 a.m.
CHI NYI
Tbh, I’m fine if they’re not both in the lineup at once. MDC or Komarov can play the other wing to start, that’s okay (NOT Johnston, which is probably who it’s gonna be). But if they both look good, I say move one up to 2RW and bump Bailey down.

I just don’t want Pageau babysitting, I know that’s kinda Trotz/Lou logic but I do think there’s some merit to it. Wahlstrom did seem defensively mature last time he was up; maybe he’s more complete than I think? I do agree with you and think both players have earned a look in the lineup. I just don’t know how it happens if they aren’t flanking Pageau on the 3rd line, which I don’t love.

Forgot Dal Colle was hurt, but the sentiment remains.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 7:41 a.m.
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Tbh, I’m fine if they’re not both in the lineup at once. MDC or Komarov can play the other wing to start, that’s okay (NOT Johnston, which is probably who it’s gonna be). But if they both look good, I say move one up to 2RW and bump Bailey down.

I just don’t want Pageau babysitting, I know that’s kinda Trotz/Lou logic but I do think there’s some merit to it. Wahlstrom did seem defensively mature last time he was up; maybe he’s more complete than I think? I do agree with you and think both players have earned a look in the lineup. I just don’t know how it happens if they aren’t flanking Pageau on the 3rd line, which I don’t love.

Not leo anyone but leo. Ross is just like nonexistent leo takes bad penalties and when youre in the box you cant help kill them lol. I dont think it will be babysitting for pag bc of all the time lou kept them in bridgeport. I think pag would thrive with those 2 and be the guy we saw in ottawa. Obviously he wouldnt score the same amount bc of ice time but that line would really provide much needed depth scoring.
As for moving bailey down im not breaking up the 1 line that can consistently score for anything. Once they stop scoring i'll think about it.
In terms of bellows jg wahlstrom not being great defensively with the 4th and 2nd lines being elite defensively im ok with the 3rd being more offensively driven. Plus wahlstrom has worked a lot on his defense and i dont see why that shouldnt continue playing for a guy like trotz.
Im just scared if wahlstrom doesnt get his shot right now he wont get another one till next year and we will have another aho situation where hes been in the ahl for at least 2 years too long and it doesnt look like he will get a shot this season which might be his last chance. Tho maybe not bc next year he has a 1 way contract so maybe he will crack the roster.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 10:37 a.m.
NYI
Everyone is so hard on Leo. The guy is overpaid but he looked okay in the playoffs.

I agree with everything here, but I'm fine with Johnston once in a while if they want to sacrifice some bottom-6 skill muscle.

Also you're forgetting Timashov.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 12:33 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Islesforthecup
Not leo anyone but leo. Ross is just like nonexistent leo takes bad penalties and when youre in the box you cant help kill them lol. I dont think it will be babysitting for pag bc of all the time lou kept them in bridgeport. I think pag would thrive with those 2 and be the guy we saw in ottawa. Obviously he wouldnt score the same amount bc of ice time but that line would really provide much needed depth scoring.
As for moving bailey down im not breaking up the 1 line that can consistently score for anything. Once they stop scoring i'll think about it.
In terms of bellows jg wahlstrom not being great defensively with the 4th and 2nd lines being elite defensively im ok with the 3rd being more offensively driven. Plus wahlstrom has worked a lot on his defense and i dont see why that shouldnt continue playing for a guy like trotz.
Im just scared if wahlstrom doesnt get his shot right now he wont get another one till next year and we will have another aho situation where hes been in the ahl for at least 2 years too long and it doesnt look like he will get a shot this season which might be his last chance. Tho maybe not bc next year he has a 1 way contract so maybe he will crack the roster.

Wahlstrom should get a shot now, absolutely. Sounds like he had a good camp and his style is just what we need. Considering his upside is probably higher than Bellows' at this point, I'd rather see him in the lineup if I had to choose between the two, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

I don't love Leo; I'd rather not have him (and his cap hit) than keep him, but he's not a horrible piece. He's okay defensively and can chip in offense here. If he's complimenting his linemates, I think he's serviceable. 2nd line should stay, you're right, although if Wahlstrom or Bellows starts playing better than expected somehow, I think moving one of them up and Bailey down is worth considering
Jan. 14, 2021 at 12:34 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: slapshot723
Everyone is so hard on Leo. The guy is overpaid but he looked okay in the playoffs.

I agree with everything here, but I'm fine with Johnston once in a while if they want to sacrifice some bottom-6 skill muscle.

Also you're forgetting Timashov.

Wasn't totally sure he was gonna clear waivers tbh, but I see he did. He could slot in on the third line as well, has some good two-way ability.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
Wahlstrom should get a shot now, absolutely. Sounds like he had a good camp and his style is just what we need. Considering his upside is probably higher than Bellows' at this point, I'd rather see him in the lineup if I had to choose between the two, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

I don't love Leo; I'd rather not have him (and his cap hit) than keep him, but he's not a horrible piece. He's okay defensively and can chip in offense here. If he's complimenting his linemates, I think he's serviceable. 2nd line should stay, you're right, although if Wahlstrom or Bellows starts playing better than expected somehow, I think moving one of them up and Bailey down is worth considering

I think you keep that 2nd line together as long as it keeps producing. If Wahlstrom proves he deserves more ice time, I’d put him with Barzal on the 1st line, then see if Lee or Eberle would be better suited on the 3rd line. Also the idea of Lee or Eberle playing sheltered minutes while they and Pageau skate around third pairings just sounds fun.
Islesforthecup liked this.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 6:38 p.m.
I don't love Leo; I'd rather not have him (and his cap hit) than keep him, but he's not a horrible piece. He's okay defensively and can chip in offense here. If he's complimenting his linemates, I think he's serviceable.

Wasn't totally sure he was gonna clear waivers tbh, but I see he did. He could slot in on the third line as well, has some good two-way ability.

The isuue with leo is that no matter how bad he plays trotz will blame it on someone else (a young guy). He takes bad penalties but the reason they have him is bc they need 6 killers for some reason. Barry let me tell you a secret, you cant kill penalties when youre in the box. I feel like you have better options no matter what youre looking for. Offense you have the young guys. Defense only forget about scoring you have johnston. Solid in the d zone but with offensive upside otto and timashov just dont see who to play him over and didnt even put in mdc bc hes on ir.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 6:40 p.m.
Quoting: Hawkisles
I think you keep that 2nd line together as long as it keeps producing. If Wahlstrom proves he deserves more ice time, I’d put him with Barzal on the 1st line, then see if Lee or Eberle would be better suited on the 3rd line. Also the idea of Lee or Eberle playing sheltered minutes while they and Pageau skate around third pairings just sounds fun.

Completely agree especially if eberle doesnt bounce back from last year. I also think if wahlstrom proves hes ready for that role lee would benefit from playing with him versus eberle and obviously barzal would benefit also
Hawkisles liked this.
Jan. 14, 2021 at 6:44 p.m.

The issue of playing wahlstrom over bellows now is that then bellows loses all his value where wahlstrom doesnt really lose value this season.
Hawkisles liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll