SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Forum For News, Rumors, Reactions and Fun Throughout the 2021 Season!

Did you watch or leave this thread?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 21, 2021 at 4:13 a.m.
Quoting: Wqrrior
Yeah, this is concerning within the canuck fanbase. Some are loosely but potentially with reason pointing the issue on him taking up gaming. Who knows... I'm not going to push the panic button yet, but he has been one of the worst canucks thus far.

If he was just snake bit, hitting posts, and not getting bounces I wouldn't be as concerned. Definitely gotta give him a couple weeks to get going like you said. But he needs to be a ppg player if VAN is gonna do any serious damage this season.
Wqrrior liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 7:53 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
It appears that the referees across the league have decided to call everything that could be remotely construed as close to a penalty now. Some of the calls in the TOR vs. EDM and MTL vs. VAN games have been ridiculous.

The last 3 sabres games there has been literally no penalties called, the sabres don't give up penalties but there has been trippings, slashings, high sticks, late hits....all of it never called. Until risto shoved a guy🙄
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 8:00 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
If he was just snake bit, hitting posts, and not getting bounces I wouldn't be as concerned. Definitely gotta give him a couple weeks to get going like you said. But he needs to be a ppg player if VAN is gonna do any serious damage this season.

Maybe in a division so strong like the north he might just be struggling to adjust to the speed, think he wi adjust and dominate.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 8:09 a.m.
Montreal Canadiens
Price didn't seem like himself
Kk and Toffoli did great
they took too many penalties
they looked great in overtime

The refs were calling everything
Jan. 21, 2021 at 8:21 a.m.
I heff to be mad...
Washington Capitals Alex Ovechkin, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Dmitry Orlov, and Ilya Samsonov have all tested positive for the "deadly" disease.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 8:24 a.m.
I heff to be mad...
Game Notes: Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs the "bad angle" Matthews goal just seemed like a snipe to me, refs were calling EVERYTHING, even SportsNet said that hand touch should have not been called,

Lucky bounces did NOT go our way

Lucky EN goal was...... Weird.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 11:31 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: LeafsFan4Ever34
Washington Capitals Alex Ovechkin, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Dmitry Orlov, and Ilya Samsonov have all tested positive for the "deadly" disease.

No, they haven’t. And what are those quotation marks supposed to mean?
Wqrrior liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
( <-- remove the names here before hitting "submit" if you quote this)

I'm curious on your thoughts for the upcoming expansion draft. As Seattle will certainly be a division rival what do you think the play is. Personally I feel like it has be around them attempting to move Burns, With Merkley on way and a lot of uncertainty with the direction of the team getting that cap flexibility seems important. Mind you I do see SJ being the 4th playoff team this year, or at least will be competing with MIN for the final spot.

No idea yet. Burns is still a pretty useful offensive guy that could help a lot of teams. I would hate to give him away for free but trading him will be tough with his NTC
yikes liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.

No they didnt
Kotkaniemi15 and Wqrrior liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Montreal Canadiens
Price didn't seem like himself
Kk and Toffoli did great
they took too many penalties
they looked great in overtime

The refs were calling everything

perfectly said
Jan. 21, 2021 at 12:49 p.m.
Minnesota Wild

Notes:

- CALDER WATCH: Kaprizov is a stud. Created a ton of chances for us last night that our team wasn't expecting. Had a nice secondary assist on the Eriksson Ek goal. Currently sitting with 5 points in 4 games

- Fiala severely snake bitten. Hasn't scored yet but he has looked really good. Had some mental lapses in his own zone last night but I like what I've seen overall.

- Ek has had a really strong start to the season. Looking forward to see his continued improvement offensively

- Greenway has had the best stretch of his career these first four games. He's playing with confidence and using his massive frame more.

- Lack of talent up front is a big concern, particularly at center. Rask has surprisingly been decent but when Rask, Bonino, Ek, and Bjugstad are your centers... Woof

- Small sample size but Cole looked great last night. Really like his game.

- Brodin looking incredible. Love him on the top pairing with Spurge and he's looking better offensively.

- Suter looking like he has lost a step. He's still a very good player, but not quite the #1 he was in years past.

- Talbot has had a strong start to the year. Kahkonen looked shaken last night but I like this tandem going forward.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:16 p.m.
WentWughes

Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
No, they haven’t. And what are those quotation marks supposed to mean?

I guess it's suppose to mean it's not deadly, which it is not to these athletes, but it's still a deadly disease to the older population
MitchMarner_16 and Hedman77 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Can I celebrate ethically?
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:18 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Can I celebrate ethically?

Well it’s not like anyone’s health is at risk, so yeah. It’s sort of the same thing as if all 4 players got suspended.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I guess it's suppose to mean it's not deadly, which it is not to these athletes, but it's still a deadly disease to the older population

That’s what I thought, but I want to make sure that they actually mean that before criticizing the comment.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 1:46 p.m.
Log off the internet

Look up "keyontae johnson"
Jan. 21, 2021 at 2:39 p.m.
I heff to be mad...
Just saying, the Leafs Toronto Maple Leafs roster last night, they apparently had Kasperi Kapanen and Ben Harper dressed.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
I heff to be mad...
I caught the thing under the 0-0 score at the beginning
Jan. 21, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Maybe in a division so strong like the north he might just be struggling to adjust to the speed, think he wi adjust and dominate.

I hope so. He's one of my favorite players to watch. Pure talent.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 6:20 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
@yikes ( <-- remove the names here before hitting "submit" if you quote this)

I'm curious on your thoughts for the upcoming expansion draft. As Seattle will certainly be a division rival what do you think the play is. Personally I feel like it has be around them attempting to move Burns, With Merkley on way and a lot of uncertainty with the direction of the team getting that cap flexibility seems important. Mind you I do see SJ being the 4th playoff team this year, or at least will be competing with MIN for the final spot.

Quoting: RawZuccSauce420
It's kind of tough because it's hard to know how the team will look like at the end of this season.

With the forward group, at this rate, I would protect Couture, Kane, Hertl, Meier, Labanc, Donato. Last protection at F could be Balcers, or Gambrell, or maybe someone else if we get someone else by the end of the year who has played enough games to be eligible. We also need to sign two forwards for 2021-22 who can be selected by Seattle cause we currently don't have any extras.

We know Vlasic and Karlsson have to be protected because of their NMC's barring any unexpected waiving. 3rd defenseman I would protect is Simek personally. I love Burnzy and he's done a ton for the org, but wasting a protection on a 36 year old who is poor defensively making $8M until he's 40 is just a bad idea. Especially when we already have Karlsson and Merkley is in the pipelines nearly ready to make the jump. Not saying Burns WILL get selected, but there's no point in protecting him in my view.

If Jones plays good this year maybe we protect him? I dunno. There's no harm in not protecting any goalies at all too if everyone sucks lol. Highly doubt Seattle takes a gamble on Jones @5.75M for 3 more years if he sucks this year and is left unprotected.

I agree with you though I think the fight is gonna be MIN and SJ fighting for that last playoff spot.

I very much agree with what Zucc said mostly.

If I was the Sharks Id rid Burns to Seattle.

My plan is either: Burns does well this year and Seattle takes him/ wants a smaller pick (like a third plus maybe someone random like letunov) or Burns does middling and we offer up another play to take him. My ideal plan which is in my drafts right now is if Burns has a similar year to last (not brutal but not good; still offensively valuable but a defensive liability) that we do this:

Seattle receives:
Burns
Donato (rfa controlled)
3rd

SJS receives:

future considerations

basically Seattle gets a great face/ icon in Burns which a new team would honestly love to have. Burns is a great marketing tool, a exciting player to watch and a big name in hockey. Whatever we all believe about Burns' play; you cant deny he is a player that is very marketable and would be a ideal player as a captain/ starter to a franchise (former norris winner, guys put up some insane point total years, been to the finals, and look at him lol). Donato would be a middle 6 add and a pick is nice. In my UNBIASED opinion; that's a huge gain for Seattle that makes sense. Sharks get some help and Seattle gets some help. As in my opinion Seattle will not be Vegas and go all in; but put together a competitive team with a focus on rebuilding and gaining future assets (if you're Seattle you cant pass on a chance for Shane Wright and multiple picks in 2022).

Jones will be a decent buyout in 2022 - 2023 and so Id rather just keep him. And honestly Jones is playing very well right now. Id rather get rid of Burns then Jones. Jones is easier to get rid of in the future and costs less while we develop our other goalies. Merkley is near ready and if we draft high this year we got more stellar prospects so Id rather get rid of Burns with Karlsson Burns Merkley being a log jam (plus as i said we may get lambos, hughes, powers, etc).

Im speaking from purely a business perspective. I looooooooooooooooooooooooove Burns and Jones was my favorite goalie and even last year up until the final few weeks I was reaaaaaally hoping hed bounce back and I had belief in him in our playoff run. Right now Jones is bouncing back and Burns is middling.

maybe @papishark / Zucc have diffrent opinions but I believe the best route is to get rid of Burns at all costs; and Im willing to part with Donato and a pick to do so if necessary. I think we can make so good moves with Burns gone financially for our team (even if its holding onto the money gained for a year or two).
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 6:47 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
I very much agree with what Zucc said mostly.

If I was the Sharks Id rid Burns to Seattle.

My plan is either: Burns does well this year and Seattle takes him/ wants a smaller pick (like a third plus maybe someone random like letunov) or Burns does middling and we offer up another play to take him. My ideal plan which is in my drafts right now is if Burns has a similar year to last (not brutal but not good; still offensively valuable but a defensive liability) that we do this:

Seattle receives:
Burns
Donato (rfa controlled)
3rd

SJS receives:

future considerations

basically Seattle gets a great face/ icon in Burns which a new team would honestly love to have. Burns is a great marketing tool, a exciting player to watch and a big name in hockey. Whatever we all believe about Burns' play; you cant deny he is a player that is very marketable and would be a ideal player as a captain/ starter to a franchise (former norris winner, guys put up some insane point total years, been to the finals, and look at him lol). Donato would be a middle 6 add and a pick is nice. In my UNBIASED opinion; that's a huge gain for Seattle that makes sense. Sharks get some help and Seattle gets some help. As in my opinion Seattle will not be Vegas and go all in; but put together a competitive team with a focus on rebuilding and gaining future assets (if you're Seattle you cant pass on a chance for Shane Wright and multiple picks in 2022).

Jones will be a decent buyout in 2022 - 2023 and so Id rather just keep him. And honestly Jones is playing very well right now. Id rather get rid of Burns then Jones. Jones is easier to get rid of in the future and costs less while we develop our other goalies. Merkley is near ready and if we draft high this year we got more stellar prospects so Id rather get rid of Burns with Karlsson Burns Merkley being a log jam (plus as i said we may get lambos, hughes, powers, etc).

Im speaking from purely a business perspective. I looooooooooooooooooooooooove Burns and Jones was my favorite goalie and even last year up until the final few weeks I was reaaaaaally hoping hed bounce back and I had belief in him in our playoff run. Right now Jones is bouncing back and Burns is middling.

maybe papishark / Zucc have diffrent opinions but I believe the best route is to get rid of Burns at all costs; and Im willing to part with Donato and a pick to do so if necessary. I think we can make so good moves with Burns gone financially for our team (even if its holding onto the money gained for a year or two).

Only thing here I disagree with is thinking Seattle will want to focus on rebuilding. Vegas bought into the league for 500M and Seattle is buying in for 650M shortly after. Considering Vegas' success, Seattle will do everything in their power to be competing in the playoffs ASAP
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 7:02 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jan. 21, 2021 at 7:11 p.m.
Only thing here I disagree with is thinking Seattle will want to focus on rebuilding. Vegas bought into the league for 500M and Seattle is buying in for 650M shortly after. Considering Vegas' success, Seattle will do everything in their power to be competing in the playoffs ASAP

I get what youre saying 100% and youre right honestly. But my opinion is; look at Vegas they got so damn close and they still are so close. They may even win this year. But Vegas also got very lucky. Some poor expansion choices (were looking at your ducks and florida), and some real good trades (were looking at stone). I dont think theres gonna be as many good looks as Vegas had. I mean I dont see Seattle getting all of Tuch, March, Karlsson, Smith, Theodore like Vegas did from expansion ALONE. I think theyll put together a decent team but nothing like Vegas.
Quoting: Brian2016
I think the expectations for Seattle will be high based on what Vegas has accomplished since their inception. They set the bar really high. Everything went perfect for them, but the flat cap could be really advantageous for Seattle as they build assets from around the league. I wouldn't be shocked if they were a playoff contender right from the jump.

plus this; everything went prefect for vegas, which i doubt repeats for seattle.

If Im Seattle's GM i say this:

**** eh we did spend 650m but look at this, COVID Cap till atleast 2022 probably 23 or 24. You got 25% or more of the league needing CAP help by the time Seattle joins. Colordao, Tampa, Vegas, Vancouver, Philly, NYI, Toronto, EDM, Montreal, PIT ; all teams who could use some help if Seattle offers a hand. On top of this 2021 is a real good draft were sleeping on and 2022 should be the next "superstar" draft.

VAN: picks for Eriksson
NYI: theres a ton of choices to help them get some relief
Tampa: no explanation needed they will want help
Vegas: would love seeing patches 7 mil gone
NJD: i could see subban being taken
SJS: hey you want burns

and so on.

Seattle could easily have as deep of a prospect pool as Ottawa or LA by the end of 2022. If they choose to be a middling team and go big in 2022 draft - I argue theyll be better than Vegas and most of the league by 2022/23.

Thats my opinion atleast. Stock up on D in 2021/ and load up on star power in 2022 and youll be an elite team in 2022 or by 2023. Thats just my "take" but Id prefer to load up with Powers/Hughes/Lambos + other picks acquired for 21 debut draft and grab Wright, Lambert, Lavoie + others in 2022 than hoping to put together a rag tag team that could be Vegas 2.0. Because I dont think there will be another vegas run for Seattle.
nickthehabsfan liked this.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 7:07 p.m.

I think the expectations for Seattle will be high based on what Vegas has accomplished since their inception. They set the bar really high. Everything went perfect for them, but the flat cap could be really advantageous for Seattle as they build assets from around the league. I wouldn't be shocked if they were a playoff contender right from the jump.
Jan. 21, 2021 at 7:09 p.m.
Blackwood is out tonight. He has an even strength save % of .987 through first 3 games. Absolutely absurd!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit