SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Takeaways from first two games

Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:13 p.m.
Bruins picked up a win and an OT loss against the Devils in their first two games. These are my takeaways from the two games:

-Either the Devils are better than I expected, or the Bruins just haven't really woken up yet. Anyways, I thought New Jersey looked pretty good. Ty Smith, Miles Wood, and Jack Hughes looked really good, and Mackenzie Blackwood made some really nice stops. I thought the Devils would stink this year, but it looks like I could be wrong. (I know I'm overreacting btw)
-The Bruins looked weak on LD coming into the season, but their young guys are looking pretty good. Zboril in particular impressed me, as he didn't seem to make any "rookie mistakes", and wasn't afraid to throw his weight around.
-Speaking of rookies, Trent Frederic looked great. He was always going hard after the puck, and didn't seem at all deterred by the physicality and speed of the NHL. Jack Studnicka, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as good as he was hyped up to be. I don't think he was even in the today's game, because I didn't see him. There were some pucks that he mishandled, some passes that he missed, and he just didn't look ready.
-Kevan Miller impressed me. I was skeptical when the Bruins gave him over 1 million this offseason, given his injury history, but I was pleasantly surprised watching him. He looked like he had finally fully recovered, and not only did he bring the physicality that he's known for, he also made some nice plays on offense.
-A lot of Bruins fans watched game 4 against the Lightning last year and blamed the loss on Nick Ritchie, who took two absolutely awful penalties, one of which was a major that the Lightning scored on. However, Ritchie scored in the opener on the PP, and probably should have had one today on a tipped shot that was taken off the board for incidental contact. Although there is still room for improvement (he's still slow af) , he's definetely gotten better since his brief stint last year.
-I congratulate Yegor Sharangovich on his first career goal, which couldn't have come at a more spectacular time. What's not going to be talked about is the terrific backhand pass from Severson to set up the breakaway.
Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
Edited Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:39 p.m.
For the first takeaway about Devils, it's the NHL. Anybody can win. The team that shows up will be better. NJD will likely finish last in the division but they played well in the past 5 periods. And Studnicka didn't play today. He's likely back next game with Kase who left today.
Lets_Go_Bruins2024 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:32 p.m.
Pop Pop
They need to generate more chances and finish something at 5 on 5.
Jan. 17, 2021 at 5:26 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
More turnovers last game then the local Dunkin...
Can see the top-4 D squad being a key cog: Mac-Grzz-Carlo & Lauzon/Zboril - think it's jump ball for those last two which is excellent for development push.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll