Expansion draft - Leafs protect...
7 forwards: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Anderson, Engvall
3 defensemen: Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie
1 goalie: Campbell

Seattle picks: D Travis Dermott

---

Re-signings

RFAs
- no notable RFAs ending up to the free agency with Dermott leaving to Seattle. Offering the league minimum contracts for Korshkov, Duszak and Woll.

UFAs
- re-signing pending UFA LW Zach Hyman to a 7-year, $30M contract. Cap hit a bit under $4,3M, which imo is a fine contract for a player of his caliber.

- re-signing Simmonds to play the 4th line role with 1x1 contract. Brings physicality and leadership to the team.

- Lehtonen, Barabanov, Vesey leave to look for more ice time elsewhere

- veteran presence of Andersen, Thornton, Spezza, and Bogosian not re-signed. Expecting Thornton and Spezza call it quits, Andersen wanting to leave the immense pressure of playing in the hockey center of this planet, and Bogosian probably heading to Switzerland or calling it quits...who knows.

Free agency signings
- G Antti Raanta, a placeholder goalie signed with a 1-year, $3M contract. Guy being the odd man out in ARI behind Kuemper and Hill is likely to head free agency. Despite being a bit injury prone, his statistics are decent. The 32-year old could form a nice one year tandem with Campbell.

- F Konstantin Okulov, the annual KHL pick of this year, as expected. The 25-year old forward has been playing in almost PPG pace in CSKA Moscow.

- D Dmitry Kulikov, after a meh year in Devils he comes to Toronto camp with a PTO, and gets himself a league-minimum contract to fulfill the role of a 7th D.

---

Lineup

Forwards

- on the first line I'd want the ability to play physical hockey with being able to drive the puck and have some high danger shots in there to boot. Combinating all these, a Nylander-Matthews-Hyman line makes the most sense to me.

- dropping Marner to the second line, playing more two way game with Tavares and Robertson. Robertson can use his lethal shot weapon with two elite playmakers. Tavares' numbers decreased after parting with Marner, so maybe reuniting the two could work wonders for them. Marner's ability to play 2-way game somewhat well is very valuable for this line.

- 3rd line has Kerfoot as the defensive center, with some Russian wingers able to drive play. I'd like to see them trying something like this already this year with Barabanov in there.

- getting a slot for their younger guys under contract, Anderson and Engvall in the 4th line is worth trying imo, while re-signing the grit in Simmonds.

Defense
- I don't think the Rielly-Brodie pairing is going to work, so I'll replace Brodie with Sandin. Their best D prospect's ice time shouldn't be hindered behind some veterans, instead give him time to play with Rielly and play some good hockey with lots of ice time, because they could very well be losing Rielly after this year, and they only have Sandin to fill his place in the roster.

- dropping Brodie to second pair, and giving him another young D pair in Liljegren. Brodie returns to left side, mentoring Liljegren to develop.

- the shutdown pair of Muzzin-Holl should stay intact, for Holl is completely miserable without Muzzin's presence, and since Dubas decided to ink the guy long-term, he should get all the help possible.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$4,285,714
1$3,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$750,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Okulov, Konstantin
1$925,000
Trades
TOR
    Heads to Seattle
    ANA
    1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
    Additional Details:
    Expansion Draft pick
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$81,365,497$0$400,000$134,503
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $4,285,714$4,285,714
    RW, LW
    UFA - 7
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $1,645,000$1,645,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    Okulov, Konstantin
    $925,000$925,000
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:32 p.m.
    Banned
    Way too much money and term for Hyman. That would be a horrible cap problem down the road.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:35 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
    Way too much money and term for Hyman. That would be a horrible cap problem down the road.

Imo if the guy keeps up a 60-point pace during a normal year while bringing you this much on the table, him getting a bit more than a third of what Matthews is earning is more than justified.

For a quality power forward such contract is very, very cheap.

Now the length is something that can be changed, but imo the cap hit is very low comparably.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:49 p.m.
    Please win the cup
    I think Andy will stay... I could be wrong though
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:57 p.m.
    Banned
    Are the Leafs trying to re-build? We are looking like the Edmonton Oilers, superstar talent and no quality depth pieces. Mikheyev and Nylander will be gone after this season
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 8:58 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: justaBoss
    Imo if the guy keeps up a 60-point pace during a normal year while bringing you this much on the table, him getting a bit more than a third of what Matthews is earning is more than justified.

For a quality power forward such contract is very, very cheap.

Now the length is something that can be changed, but imo the cap hit is very low comparably.

He is only a 60 point guy if he plays with Matthews or JT. Never pay a guy for producing on the coattails of better players. I wouldn't give Hyman over 3.5 for 3 years.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:00 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
    Are the Leafs trying to re-build? We are looking like the Edmonton Oilers, superstar talent and no quality depth pieces. Mikheyev and Nylander will be gone after this season

Tbf that's the way the team is being built like. There will most likely be an odd year or two for them to wait their current prospect pool to rise up (Amirov, Hirvonen, Niemelä etc.)

It just happens when you invest half of the cap for 4 players.

Dubas can't satisfy everyone. I dunno what moving Nylander and Mikheyev would solve.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:02 p.m.
    torontos finest
    If Dermott plays well this season I believe the Leafs are protecting him and sacrificing Kerfoot/Holl/someone else. Andersen is looking more and more like he's not returning; his recent performances really haven't suggested a raise which is what he'll be looking to get, even if it's a short contract.

IDK who Okulov is, but I 100% expect the Leafs to take a stab at signing him, and if they do sign him suddenly everyone here would be an expert on his potential in the NHL.
    oneX liked this.
    What in tarnation
    He is only a 60 point guy if he plays with Matthews or JT. Never pay a guy for producing on the coattails of better players. I wouldn't give Hyman over 3.5 for 3 years.

Then for the sake of Hyman I hope he leaves Toronto and moves to some other team that actually appreciates what he has to bring on ice. TOR clearly doesn't, it seems.

Not that $3,5M is a lot away from my offer - one league minimum contract per year.
    Banned
    Tbf that's the way the team is being built like. There will most likely be an odd year or two for them to wait their current prospect pool to rise up (Amirov, Hirvonen, Niemelä etc.)

It just happens when you invest half of the cap for 4 players.

Dubas can't satisfy everyone. I dunno what moving Nylander and Mikheyev would solve.

You don't win with Nylander, Mikheyev, and future bust's with Amirov, Hirvonen, and Niemela, as well as a current bust in Liljegren
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:03 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: mondo
    If Dermott plays well this season I believe the Leafs are protecting him and sacrificing Kerfoot/Holl/someone else. Andersen is looking more and more like he's not returning; his recent performances really haven't suggested a raise which is what he'll be looking to get, even if it's a short contract.

IDK who Okulov is, but I 100% expect the Leafs to take a stab at signing him, and if they do sign him suddenly everyone here would be an expert on his potential in the NHL.

If I were TOR I wouldn't move Kerfoot. He and Mikheyev are like their only actual depth forwards who can be used in a top6 role from time to time.

But their defense (especially left side) is so stacked I think leaving Dermott out might come to question.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:04 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
    You don't win with Nylander, Mikheyev, and future bust's with Amirov, Hirvonen, and Niemela, as well as a current bust in Liljegren

You don't win with paying 4 guys half the money you get either.

Guess TOR isn't winning no matter what.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:08 p.m.
    torontos finest
    If I were TOR I wouldn't move Kerfoot. He and Mikheyev are like their only actual depth forwards who can be used in a top6 role from time to time.

But their defense (especially left side) is so stacked I think leaving Dermott out might come to question.

It's a tough decision regardless. I'm fine with whatever happens as long as they don't do what some teams did last expansion draft and just gift the Knights quality players.

lol while I was writing this Kerfoot did some slick moves on the ice and drew a penalty.

You don't win with paying 4 guys half the money you get either.

Guess TOR isn't winning no matter what.

Think this guy just really hates Nordic people.
    justaBoss liked this.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:11 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    It's a tough decision regardless. I'm fine with whatever happens as long as they don't do what some teams did last expansion draft and just gift the Knights quality players.

lol while I was writing this Kerfoot did some slick moves on the ice and drew a penalty.

Can't remember who the Leafs gave to the Knights, but I do think SEA is not getting nearly as good of a team as VGK did from the get-go.

Think this guy just really hates Nordic people.

Didn't think Don Cherry had a CF account.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:14 p.m.
    torontos finest
    Can't remember who the Leafs gave to the Knights, but I do think SEA is not getting nearly as good of a team as VGK did from the get-go.

They were still in their rebuild and all their good players were either protected or not eligible. Vegas took Brendan Leipsic.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:15 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    They were still in their rebuild and all their good players were either protected or not eligible. Vegas took Brendan Leipsic.

Tbh it's kind of similar situation now. There's only two realistic options for Seattle to take - either Kerfoot if they protect 4F and 4D or Dermott if they protect 7F and 3D. Can't think no other pick making sense.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:16 p.m.
    Banned
    Then for the sake of Hyman I hope he leaves Toronto and moves to some other team that actually appreciates what he has to bring on ice. TOR clearly doesn't, it seems.

Not that $3,5M is a lot away from my offer - one league minimum contract per year.

It's not about appreciating him or not, it's about making smart use of cap dollars. Overpaying depth kills your cap. Hyman is depth, he's a good player and I love him but he will never drive a line on his own. Never give big money and term to a depth guy who would never produce half as much without the stars.
    oneX liked this.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:23 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    It's not about appreciating him or not, it's about making smart use of cap dollars. Overpaying depth kills your cap. Hyman is depth, he's a good player and I love him but he will never drive a line on his own. Never give big money and term to a depth guy who would never produce half as much without the stars.

Guess we have a different way of evaluating what is "big money" and what isn't.

Earning less than a third of what Marner is earning seems a way too low money to me.

It's kind of weird how many different ways of thinking there is about this team's direction in the fanbase - one side thinks we can't be paying depth assets that much, when the other one thinks TOR will never win anything without investing to some depth assets.

I do personally think the latter is the way to go, but with the way this team is built, executing a deep team seems nigh on impossible.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:25 p.m.

I agree with others who have pointed out that paying Hyman beyond his current contract is unrealistic. Even if Hyman takes hometown discount on his next deal, it just won't fit for the type of player he is.

Leafs may still have to trade Marner or Nylander down the road but because Rielly will need a new contract, Hyman just is not an option for the Leafs beyond the current deal.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:26 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: oneX
    I agree with others who have pointed out that paying Hyman beyond his current contract is unrealistic. Even if Hyman takes hometown discount on his next deal, it just won't fit for the type of player he is.

Leafs may still have to trade Marner or Nylander down the road but because Rielly will need a new contract, Hyman just is not an option for the Leafs beyond the current deal.

So you think Hyman will be gone after this year, unless he takes yet another discount?
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:38 p.m.
    So you think Hyman will be gone after this year, unless he takes yet another discount?

I don't think the Leafs should be signing him. Going to cost more than can be afforded under the cap.

BTW I didn't even mention the goaltending decision the Leafs have to make come season's end. Right now I would not be bringing Andersen back. Overall he's been great during his time with the Leafs but it's probably time to move on.
    justaBoss liked this.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:40 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: oneX
    I don't think the Leafs should be signing him. Going to cost more than can be afforded under the cap.

BTW I didn't even mention the goaltending decision the Leafs have to make come season's end. Right now I would not be bringing Andersen back. Overall he's been great during his time with the Leafs but it's probably time to move on.

Ideally who would you replace him with? Naturally of the goalies available...not thinking of Hart or something like that lol
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:45 p.m.
    Banned
    Guess we have a different way of evaluating what is "big money" and what isn't.

Earning less than a third of what Marner is earning seems a way too low money to me.

It's kind of weird how many different ways of thinking there is about this team's direction in the fanbase - one side thinks we can't be paying depth assets that much, when the other one thinks TOR will never win anything without investing to some depth assets.

I do personally think the latter is the way to go, but with the way this team is built, executing a deep team seems nigh on impossible.

To most non leaf fans, the Leafs will never win unless they stop being the Leafs. The reality of the NHL is the middle class is getting squeezed. It's doing so because stars win everything, not depth guys, they are important sure but they don't win you the cup. Point and Hedman, Crosby and Malkin, O'Rielly and Pietrangelo, Kane and Toews, Doughty and Kopitar. The stars win the cup for their teams and if you don't have them, you can't win, if you do have them, you just get them the best supporting cast you can for the best value you can. Overpaying Hyman at the very likely cost of Nylander or Marner is just dumb.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 9:49 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    To most non leaf fans, the Leafs will never win unless they stop being the Leafs. The reality of the NHL is the middle class is getting squeezed. It's doing so because stars win everything, not depth guys, they are important sure but they don't win you the cup. Point and Hedman, Crosby and Malkin, O'Rielly and Pietrangelo, Kane and Toews, Doughty and Kopitar. The stars win the cup for their teams and if you don't have them, you can't win, if you do have them, you just get them the best supporting cast you can for the best value you can. Overpaying Hyman at the very likely cost of Nylander or Marner is just dumb.

I hoped for the sake of this post VGK had won the cup in 2017-18..,that was very close win with nothing but depth.

However, "overpaying" Hyman with the cost of potentially losing Marner or Nylander, while being dumb is true, you don't add to the fact that you could potentially add 3 more Hyman's to the roster with the cost of the guy. That could come very important for them.

Tampa is a good example of how the team was built incredibly deep with the star players, to the point they won the cup with clear margin without their captain, Stamkos.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 10:18 p.m.

its very early but he's on pace for 55 right now playing on the third line.
    Jan. 16, 2021 at 10:42 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: leafs101
    its very early but he's on pace for 55 right now playing on the third line.

Geez and Thorton is going to score as many goals as Matthews.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll