Forums/Armchair-GM

Only two options for PLD to MTL

Created by: HabsFan33
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 22, 2021
Published: Jan. 22, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know there's been a lot of different trade scenarios for PLD in the last few weeks, some good and some absolutely awful, for both Habs and CBJ perspective. As a Montreal fan, there are only two options in which I would trade for Dubois and the package stays pretty much the same except one player. The real question for Habs is when do you make the trade. If you trade in-season because MB thinks Dubois will be gone prior to off season and feels pressure from Jarmo then KK is the center being traded to CBJ. Option two (and more favorable for Habs imo) is the Habs are out of payoff contention by trade deadline, they know they can't resign Danault or they make the trade prior to expansion draft, then Danault becomes the center going to Columbus. Of course, any trade involving Danault would be contingent on Jarmo having an extension in place for Danault.

If I'm MB, these are the only trade options (or scenarios) I entertain to get Dubois. If CBJ wants more or different players (i.e. Suzuki) then I pass if I'm the Habs.

Obviously, most on here will not agree with these options. Fans of both teams undervalue and overvalue their players all the time. Looking at different posts recently, some CBJ fans think Dubois is the second coming of God. He's good, don't get me wrong and would love him on the Habs! But this idea that teams need to give up a 1st round pick, a bonafide superstar and high end prospects to get the interest of Columbus is ridiculous. Look at any recent trades for high end players and the return has not been what most people would've expected. It's tough comparing trades with players that are different ages at the time of the trade or have more NHL experience but recent trades show that the teams giving up the guy rarely get what they truly want - think Karlsson, Stone or Hall trades in recent memory. I'm not exactly comparing Dubois to those players but none of them returned full value to Sens or Devils that most thought they would've got. For example with Karlsson, at the time of the trade, he was considered in the top 3 of defensemen in the league, if not #1. DeMelo, Tierney, Balcers were not high end talents then and aren't even close now! The key to that trade was Norris and a 1st round pick. The Stone trade was even worst in my opinion considering that Brannstrom has yet to crack the NHL roster full time. It may turn out to be a phenomenal return in the long run, but at this point, not even close.

The last points for this Dubois scenario are simple. 1 - CBJ doesn't have to trade him and 2 - with the cap staying the same of another 3yrs, it takes several teams out of consideration in my mind. This will ultimately hinder the max return that CBJ will get.

That's my rant for today!

Thanks!
Trades
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
  2. 2021 5th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
If the trade needs to happen in-season, then KK is the center that goes to CBJ. Byron added for cap reasons and they get Mete and prospects Caufield and Hillis.
CBJ
  1. Byron, Paul
  2. Caufield, Cole [Reserve List]
  3. Hillis, Cameron
  4. Kotkaniemi, Jesperi
  5. Mete, Victor
  6. 2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
  7. 2021 4th round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
If trade happens in-season, you can't give up Danault because of what he brings in the faceoff circle, PK and shut down role.
MTL
    If the trade can happen after season and just prior to expansion draft, then I send Danault to CBJ along with the package already submitted. Of course, the deal happens only if Jarmo can negotiate an extension with Danault prior to trade.
    CBJ
    1. Danault, Phillip
    Additional Details:
    includes:
    Byron
    Caufield
    Mete
    Hillis
    2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
    2021 4th round pick (MTL)
    Buyouts
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    18$81,500,000$70,222,976$0$637,500$11,277,024
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 7
    $4,800,000$4,800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $2,125,000$2,125,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $875,000$875,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $7,857,143$7,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,350,000$4,350,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    Taxi Squad
    $925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $771,666$771,666 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    G
    UFA - 1
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 2:53 p.m.
    Banned
    There are always two sides to a trade, why on earth would Columbus take any of those proposed trade offers? I'm pretty sure they would want Suzuki instead of Kotkaniemi/Danault
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
    Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
    There are always two sides to a trade, why on earth would Columbus take any of those proposed trade offers? I'm pretty sure they would want Suzuki instead of Kotkaniemi/Danault

I agree that there are two sides to a trade but if you read the full description (apologies for the long paragraph) you'll see that I indicate from a MTL perspective, these are the only offers I give CBJ. If they want Suzuki, I pass as a Habs fan!
    TheLeafsSeason and imawesome liked this.
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: HabsFan33
    I agree that there are two sides to a trade but if you read the full description (apologies for the long paragraph) you'll see that I indicate from a MTL perspective, these are the only offers I give CBJ. If they want Suzuki, I pass as a Habs fan!

How I see the trade is that Habs fans want the Blue Jackets best centre, possibly forward on the team, but they want to give up a mediocre package for him that won't help the Blue Jackets today.
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
    A huge no on the first offer. KK for all we know could be better than Dubois. He is playing at a high level right now and is only 20! Two years younger than Dubois. So no way you add Caufield as well. The second one is more digestible. Although I think Columbus would need a contract extension to go along with Danault
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
    You've been here for a while, you should know there is a contract limit of /50
    5 contracts spot vs 1 is unlikely to impossible
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.

Every Habs fans rather have Suzuki than PLD if we had to choose
    jpsnow13 liked this.
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: GMs
    Every Habs fans rather have Suzuki than PLD if we had to choose

Very much so, and I wouldn't agree more. On Columbus' side, why would they give up their best player for anyone not in the same caliber. Imagine if Suzuki was in the same situation and the Leafs offered Robertson, Liljegren, and Kerfoot
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 3:05 p.m.
    Very much so, and I wouldn't agree more. On Columbus' side, why would they give up their best player for anyone not in the same caliber. Imagine if Suzuki was in the same situation and the Leafs offered Robertson, Liljegren, and Kerfoot

Who is your Robertson and Kerfoot comparison in this deal? I'm assuming you're not comparing Kerfoot to KK or Danault
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.
    Quoting: GMs
    You've been here for a while, you should know there is a contract limit of /50
    5 contracts spot vs 1 is unlikely to impossible

CBJ currently at 43 contracts on the year. This trade, if it happened in season, would be a net increase of 3 contracts. Leaving them at 46! I think they're ok!!!
    GMs liked this.
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.

I'm not following you, CBJ can't trade PLD for a guy better or equal to him. Why would that team trade a player equal to PLD and wait 14 days + have to negociate with PLD again in 2 years ?
    Why are you mentioning Robertson Liljegren and Kerfoot here ?
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
    You know nothing JS

Value going back can take many forms.
    - a better player signed on a shorter term.
    - a less talented player signed for longer.
    - a bundle of players fixing many roster spots.
    - futures.

We don't know what is Kekalainen's plan, if he has one.
    Jan. 22, 2021 at 4:58 p.m.
    Habs_fan
    WAY too much to give up for Dubois.

I have no idea why people think his value is so high. Seriously over evaluating a player.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll