Jones
Werenski
Merzlikens
Korpisalo

And more.

Not to mention whatever comes with Laine in the future. 🤦‍♂️
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:41 a.m.
Jimmy Stu
Is there a way to not like this trade for either team?

What's to stop either player from wanting out in 1 or 2 years lol. Poor fan bases. I hope Laine stays in Columbus and develops chemistry with Foudy or Domi.

I really wonder what the other offers were.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:41 a.m.
Wild Fan
Quoting: dopplsan
CBJ FA’s in two years:

Domi
Jenner
Roslovic
Robinson
Foudy
Gerbe
Jones
Werenski
Merzlikens
Korpisalo

And more.

Not to mention whatever comes with Laine in the future. 🤦‍♂️

Laine is probably gonna reject any offer from Columbus after the season. If I had to guess, he's gonna resign in Winnippeg, or go to either Dallas or Boston.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: Hockyluv21
Because it actually...happened. It's rare that ACGM deals actually happen in their pure form.

No i mean the ones where guys trade them to their favourite team and it makes no sense at all...
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:44 a.m.
CBJ wins short-term, WPG long term
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:46 a.m.
This is a baffling trade for the Jets to make.

I cannot understand trading a scorer of Laine's caliber for someone like Dubois AND throwing in a young, talented prospect...
dlt_hfu2847whsba liked this.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:50 a.m.
Nah.
Quoting: YoshiOnIce
Laine is probably gonna reject any offer from Columbus after the season. If I had to guess, he's gonna resign in Winnippeg, or go to either Dallas or Boston.

We’ll see. I think re-signing in WPG is...yeah.

If Laine puts us through this all over again in 1-2 seasons, I think he can easily be flipped for picks/prospects
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
Another solid centre to winnipeg,,,, i dont know
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
First, let me say I’m totally shocked right now. I knew he was gonna get dealt, like most of us agreed. But I don’t think any of us saw Laine as a potential return. Wow!

I think PLD is the biggest loser here. He goes from the city/team he despised to the city that most players would probably list as the last team they’d wanna play for.

I think CBJ wins the trade, but it’s close. WPG now has an elite 1-2 center pair.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:54 a.m.
Brad Boyes please Wq
Truly I don’t get this 100% for Winnipeg. 3 Potential 1st liners wanting the ice time, Feel like Dubois might be getting traded again if not leaving for a new team in FA
Columbus, yeah they’ve lost there best Center, but Domi Doesn’t seem to be that bad of a replacement for PLD, and he’s got the Chance at playing with Laine, but Holy cow, CBJ is loaded with Snipers(Laine Atkinson BjorkStrand) Roslovic will fit in likely on the 3rd line with Texier and BjorkStrand. But I’m gonna say to CBJ, are you gonna give Emil Bemstrom ice time? Because it’s unlikely he’ll play 3rd line now, Eric Robinson scratched when Roslovic comes in
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:56 a.m.
I’m sure others have asked this question, but how will Laine and Torts get along? Should be an interesting development.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:57 a.m.
Wild Fan
Quoting: dopplsan
We’ll see. I think re-signing in WPG is...yeah.

If Laine puts us through this all over again in 1-2 seasons, I think he can easily be flipped for picks/prospects

Was Laine having issues in Winnipeg?
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:57 a.m.
Which player is more likely to re-sign with their new team?
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
ButIActLikeIDid
People saying that Torts is going to hate Laine are going to get suprised. Laine’s defensive game is on another level, he’s very competitive and his work ethic is high. As a Finn Jarmo knows this and would not have traded for him and give Torts a player he would hate.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:02 p.m.
Wild Fan
Quoting: Brian2016
Which player is more likely to re-sign with their new team?

Dubois
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
I'd say right now it's a fair deal and Dubois is obviously very good but it's weird that WPG gave up on a talent like Laine so quickly. I think they're going to regret it in a few years. Laine is going to be a stud if given a better chance in Columbus or elsewhere.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Why is everyone so convinced that Columbus wins this? Winnipeg walks out of this deal with a deeper offense and a 1-2 punch of Scheifele and Dubois. Meanwhile, Columbus adds a great goal scorer but has a center depth of Max Domi (fringe 2C at best) and a bunch of plugs.

Laine will be great for Columbus, but Winnipeg comes out of this trade as the more improved team.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:08 p.m.
Banned
What an awful trade. Two subpar GMs making desperation moves with high value assets. BOTH teams are worse today. Owners should be breaking phones & laptops today. Just gross.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
I like the value here, I think that part of it works out. But this was just unnecessary in terms of positional needs. What does CBJ need? Centers. What does Winnipeg need? Wingers. Columbus signed Max Domi at a winger spot, and now he has to be moved back to center. The Jets traded for Paul Stastny, and now they have 3 top six centers. I think it's horrible mismanagement, but both teams got rid of disgruntled players and got a star back
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:24 p.m.
Banned
fair trade. Jets should have got at least 2rd round pick but Laine won't get along with crybaby John Tortilla
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
Quoting: KubaH
The Jackets win this player wise, but not position wise. Look at their C depth: Domi, Jenner, Texier, Roslovic, Koivu... That's not a condending team worthy.

To be fair though, even with Dubois at the top of that list, that isn't a deep center pool, throw in the fact he was playing like a 4th line and behaving like a petulant child, I think Jarmo did really well to get that kind of return for him.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:29 p.m.
Kansler
Why stop here. If Nyquist gets healthy in two months swap him for Stastny grin
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:34 p.m.
This trade is hard to evaluate because of how obvious these two teams as trade partners seemed, and how hard it would be for either team to win the deal.

I think Dubois gets overrated quite a bit, he's far closer to being around Kadri level then he is an elite #1, which isn't bad, but he seems to get a lot of brownie points for being big and a center. He seems to generate offense pretty well, but not elite, and he's not great defensively. He draws penalties, mostly through being a bit of a sneaky dirty player, and the fact that retaliation gets called far more consistently then initial infractions, and he's a good center, I just don't know that he ever becomes the player some people think he already is.

Laine is a pure weapon, doesn't seem capable of creating a lot of chances himself, but he finishes at a rate that is just bonkers, and can singlehandedly transform a PP. He has a reputation as being bad defensively, which I find funny because he and Dubois are very similar in that regard, but Dubois seems to be thought of as a two-way center while Laine is considered a liability. Reality is they are both just relatively young players who are weaker than average defensively.

Overall, I think Jarmo wins the deal because of the fact that he managed to get a reasonable prospect back in the deal, and got Winnipeg to hold back salary making it so the Jackets can continue to accrue cap space. With how bad Dubois was playing and him almost forcing his way out, I think Jarmo literally did as well as you could hope. That being said, I think given the apparent "perception" about Laine, Chevy managed to get a young center, which is what he wanted, so he probably did as well as he could have given the market conditions, and it helps that he got the position they felt they needed the most help with (aside from D).

I think Columbus wins the deal overall, but it's hard to really fault Winnipeg here.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 12:39 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: krzyk0
Can't wait to when they're both requesting another trade in a year.

My exact thought... are they even going to make it to tdl?
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit