SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CBJ/WPG) - Dubois and 3rd for Laine, Roslovic

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 23, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
WOULD YOU HAVE TRADE GETZLAF FOR OVECHKIN AT 22 YEARS OLD?

Such a win for CLB. Sure they are thinner on the centerline, but they got awesome value for a toxic asset.

1 for 1 would had been fair. Still CLB would have hit the future 50 goals scorer.

Roslovic and retained salary is just cherry on top.

Laine isn't Ovechkin bro ....

When Ovechkin was 22 years old he owned a:

- 112 + 106 point season (Laine = 70 / 64)
- 65 + 52 goal season (Laine = 44 / 36)
- Art Ross Trophy (most points)
- Richard Trophy (most goals)
- Ted Lindsay (players MVP)
- Hart Trophy (league MVP)

Laine has exactly zero of those awards,
Laine has never been nominated for one.
Laine hasn't received a single vote for one.
Laine isn't physically dominant like Ovie was.
Laine's stats are roughly 40% lower than Ovies.
There only similarity is a lack of defensive effort.

Your ignorance brightened my day.
Thank you.
Rangsey, KSIxSKULLS, Missouri and 5 others liked this.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 8:11 p.m.
Watches no games
PLD drives a lot of offense. Laine is a good finisher. Another good play driver will be helpful in Wpg. A scorer without much of a supporting cast will probably look worse.

Unless CBJ literally straps Laine to Bjorkstrands ankles I'm not sure how they'll give him equal attacking opportunity. PLD will have at least one competent winger.

If you're a points guy you might think Laine is better now and that PLD is better in a year or two. In reality, PLD has consistently done more with less help and will probably continue to do so. The one thing in Laine's favor is simply playing time.

Although Roslovic is an intriguing piece and should provide some actual value, this is a Wpg win to me.
DatsyukianDekes liked this.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 8:29 p.m.
Serf
Quoting: dopplsan
His dad is currently a scout for the WPG AHL team, but PLD is from Montreal; so, he actually just moved 1,000 miles further away from his family.

And Roslovic is from Columbus, so I’d put chances higher at him staying.

I don’t know if anyone has corrected you yet, but his dad is a coach with the Manitoba Moose, which I understand is slightly closer than 1600 kilometres, I did the conversion to the world standard for you.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 8:50 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: sensibleguy
I don’t know if anyone has corrected you yet, but his dad is a coach with the Manitoba Moose, which I understand is slightly closer than 1600 kilometres, I did the conversion to the world standard for you.

Thanks.

So he moved 994.194 miles further away.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 9:48 p.m.
PLD will have to take the 10 days covid precaution time.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 10:03 p.m.
Serf
Thanks.

You use an approximation of 1000 miles in your comment, and then think replying with the exact conversion, of your approximation, is a valid retort.

Learn to think.

Enjoy Laine, for a little while anyway. Cheers!
Jan. 23, 2021 at 10:10 p.m.
Nah.
Edited Jan. 23, 2021 at 10:18 p.m.
Quoting: sensibleguy
You use an approximation of 1000 miles in your comment, and then think replying with the exact conversion, of your approximation, is a valid retort.

Learn to think.

Enjoy Laine, for a little while anyway. Cheers!

Ouch. I guess.

Original point was he hasn’t moved any closer to his family, and has actually moved much further away.

Don’t think that will bear on his decision to re-sign either way.
sensibleguy liked this.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 10:17 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: drewjenkins
Yeah I don't know about that:

- He had 3 goals in one game against Toronto (solid ... but he played 28 minutes 3/5 of his shots went in)
- He had 1 secondary assist in the other 4 games combined (so a total of 4 points in 5 games vs Toronto)
- He scored 1 goal against Tampa in a game one loss (then was scoreless in 4 games as his team lost 4-1).

So to quote you:

"Keep in mind how dominant Dubois was in the playoffs last year" = OMG SOOO D-O-M-I-N-A-N-T.
"He wiped the floor of the leafs and narrowly wiped the lightning." = NOT REALLY and NOT AT ALL.

Please hold your head in shame for exaggerating so much ....

Thanks for looking only at box score stats. Clearly what defines a player. I suppose you rate everything on plus/minus as well. The Dubois I watched in those two series was dangerous and solidified my believe of him as a top centre. Thanks.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 10:34 p.m.
I think regardless of your opinion of this trade, it’s nice to see that all these awful MTL armchairs of Danault+ scraps for PLD would’ve never gotten it done

I like the deal for both teams tbh.
TheWolfe and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 10:59 p.m.
Serf
Ouch. I guess.

Original point was he hasn’t moved any closer to his family, and has actually moved much further away.

Don’t think that will bear on his decision to re-sign either way.

That was the original point I replied to. Dubois will be very close to his dad in MB, and I’m not going to quibble over percentage of family in PQ and percentage in MB, but they're all together, North of the border.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:19 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
Laine isn't Ovechkin bro ....

When Ovechkin was 22 years old he owned a:

- 112 + 106 point season (Laine = 70 / 64)
- 65 + 52 goal season (Laine = 44 / 36)
- Art Ross Trophy (most points)
- Richard Trophy (most goals)
- Ted Lindsay (players MVP)
- Hart Trophy (league MVP)

Laine has exactly zero of those awards,
Laine has never been nominated for one.
Laine hasn't received a single vote for one.
Laine isn't physically dominant like Ovie was.
Laine's stats are roughly 40% lower than Ovies.
There only similarity is a lack of defensive effort.

Your ignorance brightened my day.
Thank you.

Once more for the people at the back!

"The next Ovechkin" I think it's time we stopped saying this. He's very talented but he is not in the same company as 8, not even close. Ovi was putting up 50 goal seasons when the rest of the league was struggling to score.
Jan. 23, 2021 at 11:27 p.m.
Go leafs go
Good for both teams. Although I get the feeling one or both of these guys won't stay long term (PLD, wanted a bigger city, and he got the smallest one, Liane wanted a centre, and he's got... Uh... I don't know), offersheets here we come...
Jan. 24, 2021 at 1:38 a.m.
I first thought it's a win for Columbus. Thought even in a 1 for 1 the Jackets should've thrown in a 2nd. And Roslovic is worth a 2nd by himself.

But looking into it more it looks closer to even. Dubois is signed for 2 years compared to Laine's 1. Dubois's qualifying offer is about 1 million less. Both fill a need, Dubois is the Jets long term answer to a real 2C and Laine will improve the Jackets scoring. Dubois will play a more open game with more skilled players, while Laine will have a tougher time scoring with Columbus's centers and defensive game, but he gets to be the number 1 option. So a 1 for 1 seems fair. Roslovic is worth more than a 3rd thou. But we will see how everyone performs and if they stick around. Al in all its a exciting trade and should be fun to see how it turns out.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 8:43 a.m.
Buljujarvi
I’m not a huge fan of this for CBJ, but I think from the sounds of it, I’m missing something with Roslovic.

What is his potential looking like? I haven’t really watched him...

Im sure people have already answered this, ceiling is high end 2C. Floor is Low end bottom sixer. Plus he’ll be more motivated at home and with ice time. I could see Jenner and Roslo having potential. He should be playing soon because he didnt report to WPG.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 2:12 p.m.
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
Im sure people have already answered this, ceiling is high end 2C. Floor is Low end bottom sixer. Plus he’ll be more motivated at home and with ice time. I could see Jenner and Roslo having potential. He should be playing soon because he didnt report to WPG.

He was in the lineup last night.
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 7:04 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Laine will get a rude awakening with coach John Tortorella. Laine is a very cocky player who seems to struggle with professionalism and loyalty. This rookie is a key example of being money/fame struck.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 1:42 a.m.
Can WPG trade Stastny back to Vegas now?
Jan. 25, 2021 at 9:40 a.m.
Buljujarvi
Quoting: Saskleaf
Good for both teams. Although I get the feeling one or both of these guys won't stay long term (PLD, wanted a bigger city, and he got the smallest one, Liane wanted a centre, and he's got... Uh... I don't know), offersheets here we come...

Domi is a top playmaker. Underrated. Check his advanced stats. Should work with Laine well.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 9:51 a.m.
Pettersson_40
Aight. Well, if he can hit this potential, I’m much happier with this.

But my patience with Torts is wearing real thin right now.

What do you mean? Torts has done more for the blue jackets then any other coach in their history. This is coming from a guy who doesn't like Torts because he sucked eggs as the canucks coach.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
Nah.
Quoting: hockeyman2006
What do you mean? Torts has done more for the blue jackets then any other coach in their history. This is coming from a guy who doesn't like Torts because he sucked eggs as the canucks coach.

Oh mos def...without question the best coach CBJ have ever had. Though, that isn’t exactly a high bar to cross, FWIW.

I’ve already cooled down from this take, a bit. It’s more that the team has had consistent issues for the past few seasons running, and having gone through this “star player wants to leave” narrative a few years running, it’s just feeling like something has to change.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
Domi is a top playmaker. Underrated. Check his advanced stats. Should work with Laine well.

Oh, forgot about him lol.
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Oh mos def...without question the best coach CBJ have ever had. Though, that isn’t exactly a high bar to cross, FWIW.

I’ve already cooled down from this take, a bit. It’s more that the team has had consistent issues for the past few seasons running, and having gone through this “star player wants to leave” narrative a few years running, it’s just feeling like something has to change.

To be fair, who actually wants to live in Ohio?
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
Buljujarvi
Quoting: TheWolfe
To be fair, who actually wants to live in Ohio?

I do and am
Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:57 p.m.
Thanks.

His parents live in Winnipeg full time
weirfanno1 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 3:41 p.m.
We are all equal
Quoting: HabsFan77
His parents live in Winnipeg full time

Yup can't be any closer to family lol