Quoting: HabsFan77
unless he goes to the AHL lol

lol very true, good one!
nickthehabsfan liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:56 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: weirfanno1
Yup can't be any closer to family lol

Well snap, had someone only mentioned that to begin with.

But either way, if only contract negotiations were that simple to begin with. Keep him, trade him, re-sign him, we’ll see.

I think WPG’s “70-80 point” average projection is a bit high, but PLD’s got a damn good ceiling, no question.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:57 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: TheWolfe
To be fair, who actually wants to live in Ohio?

I mean, these days, which player is actually dreaming they play in any market that isn’t an Original Six or otherwise a Mega-Metro city (I.e. LA, Miami, Dallas, etc.).
RagingSharksFan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 8:51 a.m.
Quoting: dopplsan
I’m not a huge fan of this for CBJ, but I think from the sounds of it, I’m missing something with Roslovic.

What is his potential looking like? I haven’t really watched him...

Roslovic's ceiling is most likely 3rd line center, hence it only costing a third rounder from the Blue Jackets (if you assume PLD-Laine was 1-for-1). Roslovic had the opportunity to play 2nd line center last year when Bryan Little went down with injury a month into the season, but Roslovic didn't claim that role due to his inconsistent play. Instead, the Jets moved Blake Wheeler from the 1RW into 2C and then later on put Copp as 2C. Roslovic went back to where he has done well, which is 3rd line wing. A change of scenery is going to be good for him.
weirfanno1 liked this.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 9:25 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
Roslovic's ceiling is most likely 3rd line center, hence it only costing a third rounder from the Blue Jackets (if you assume PLD-Laine was 1-for-1). Roslovic had the opportunity to play 2nd line center last year when Bryan Little went down with injury a month into the season, but Roslovic didn't claim that role due to his inconsistent play. Instead, the Jets moved Blake Wheeler from the 1RW into 2C and then later on put Copp as 2C. Roslovic went back to where he has done well, which is 3rd line wing. A change of scenery is going to be good for him.

Mr. Canoehead. Hadn't seen you post in a quite some time. Always loved your avatar. Keep paddling young man.
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 9:45 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Mr. Canoehead. Hadn't seen you post in a quite some time. Always loved your avatar. Keep paddling young man.

Life always gets in the way of posting. Mr. Canoehead is my favourite parody superhero from the past.
palhal liked this.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 10:04 a.m.
Pettersson_40
Oh mos def...without question the best coach CBJ have ever had. Though, that isn’t exactly a high bar to cross, FWIW.

I’ve already cooled down from this take, a bit. It’s more that the team has had consistent issues for the past few seasons running, and having gone through this “star player wants to leave” narrative a few years running, it’s just feeling like something has to change.

I just don't think that Torts is to blame for all that.
Jan. 27, 2021 at 12:42 p.m.
ButIActLikeIDid
Quoting: drewjenkins
Laine isn't Ovechkin bro ....

When Ovechkin was 22 years old he owned a:

- 112 + 106 point season (Laine = 70 / 64)
- 65 + 52 goal season (Laine = 44 / 36)
- Art Ross Trophy (most points)
- Richard Trophy (most goals)
- Ted Lindsay (players MVP)
- Hart Trophy (league MVP)

Laine has exactly zero of those awards,
Laine has never been nominated for one.
Laine hasn't received a single vote for one.
Laine isn't physically dominant like Ovie was.
Laine's stats are roughly 40% lower than Ovies.
There only similarity is a lack of defensive effort.

Your ignorance brightened my day.
Thank you.

Quoting: drewjenkins
Laine isn't Ovechkin bro ....

When Ovechkin was 22 years old he owned a:

- 112 + 106 point season (Laine = 70 / 64)
- 65 + 52 goal season (Laine = 44 / 36)
- Art Ross Trophy (most points)
- Richard Trophy (most goals)
- Ted Lindsay (players MVP)
- Hart Trophy (league MVP)

Laine has exactly zero of those awards,
Laine has never been nominated for one.
Laine hasn't received a single vote for one.
Laine isn't physically dominant like Ovie was.
Laine's stats are roughly 40% lower than Ovies.
There only similarity is a lack of defensive effort.

Your ignorance brightened my day.
Thank you.

Youre missing the point. He didn’t mean that Laine is as good as Ovi as a 22 year old. He’s comparing Ovi-Getzlaf to Laine-Dubois. That’s completely different discussion. Getzlaf’s seasons were 39 and 58 points during that same time as Ovi played as a rookie and as a sophomore.
Jan. 27, 2021 at 6:07 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: hockeyman2006
I just don't think that Torts is to blame for all that.

I don’t either...like I said, I’ve cooled a bit. Don’t want to kick him out the door, but feels like *some* type of big change is needed. And word is he’s leaning towards retirement soon anyway.

But hey, maybe change is named Laine.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 6:56 a.m.
I don't see how people view this as a win for Columbus. With Laine, they're getting a borderline 5-on-5 liability whose numbers are better cause of his PP play. Roslovic will be a good future middle-six winger/center but won't ever be known for posting many points rather known for elite defense. Dubois is an elite play driver and could easily post 80+ points in the future especially if he plays with Scheifele. People are overrating Laine's value here. The only way Winnipeg loses if they utilize Dubois in the wrong way. I would love to see a line of Dubois - Scheifele - Ehlers.

Overall it's a fair deal for both. Torts will have a negative impact (or maybe positive you never know) on Laine's 5-on-5 play but will make Roslovic one of the best 2nd liners in hockey.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 1:28 p.m.
ButIActLikeIDid
Quoting: Bo61
I don't see how people view this as a win for Columbus. With Laine, they're getting a borderline 5-on-5 liability whose numbers are better cause of his PP play. Roslovic will be a good future middle-six winger/center but won't ever be known for posting many points rather known for elite defense. Dubois is an elite play driver and could easily post 80+ points in the future especially if he plays with Scheifele. People are overrating Laine's value here. The only way Winnipeg loses if they utilize Dubois in the wrong way. I would love to see a line of Dubois - Scheifele - Ehlers.

Overall it's a fair deal for both. Torts will have a negative impact (or maybe positive you never know) on Laine's 5-on-5 play but will make Roslovic one of the best 2nd liners in hockey.

Youre comparing Laine’s weakness to Dubois’ strenght. Amazing analysis 🙃
Jan. 28, 2021 at 1:52 p.m.
Quoting: INeverPlayedHockey
Youre comparing Laine’s weakness to Dubois’ strenght. Amazing analysis 🙃

huh? I swear that most of the game is played 5-on-5? Also, I don't think I talked about either player's defense and I think it's unanimously agreed that Laine's weakness is defense.
weirfanno1 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:19 a.m.
Pettersson_40
I don’t either...like I said, I’ve cooled a bit. Don’t want to kick him out the door, but feels like *some* type of big change is needed. And word is he’s leaning towards retirement soon anyway.

But hey, maybe change is named Laine.

Maybe.
Jan. 31, 2021 at 1:12 a.m.
5th Liner
Welcome home Jack. W since both Dubois and Laine may still want to move but Roslovic should stay for a while
Feb. 3, 2021 at 9:10 a.m.
sen krak fan
Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
Same. WE HAVE STASTNY TOO! Why get ANOTHER CENTER! Where does Dubois play?!
And you don't ever trade a young Ovechkin... Man we're screwed 😭

A young Ovechkin?
Rangsey liked this.
Feb. 3, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Quoting: Brad21
A young Ovechkin?

Okay, so I will say I've cooled down quite a bit since the trade, and I realized that the value in the long term for the Jets is greater than I initially gave credit for.

I don't think Laine will ever turn out to have a career as great as Ovechkin, but a lot of his game is Ovechkin lite, his shot especially. His defense is also kinda comparable to what Ovechkin's was in his younger years lol. He's an incredible offensive talent that if he reaches his potential could be a 50 goal a year guy. He has tried to make strides in his two way game as well.
Again I don't think he'll ever have the impact Ovechkin has had, but there is a lot of similarities.
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Feb. 3, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
sen krak fan
Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
Okay, so I will say I've cooled down quite a bit since the trade, and I realized that the value in the long term for the Jets is greater than I initially gave credit for.

I don't think Laine will ever turn out to have a career as great as Ovechkin, but a lot of his game is Ovechkin lite, his shot especially. His defense is also kinda comparable to what Ovechkin's was in his younger years lol. He's an incredible offensive talent that if he reaches his potential could be a 50 goal a year guy. He has tried to make strides in his two way game as well.
Again I don't think he'll ever have the impact Ovechkin has had, but there is a lot of similarities.

Fair.I kind of agree.
capfriendlyaccount liked this.
Feb. 8, 2021 at 7:35 p.m.
Please win the cup
At least Stastny isn't the 2nd line Center
RagingSharksFan liked this.
Apr. 29, 2021 at 11:25 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Danny12357
This trade is hard to evaluate because of how obvious these two teams as trade partners seemed, and how hard it would be for either team to win the deal.

I think Dubois gets overrated quite a bit, he's far closer to being around Kadri level then he is an elite #1, which isn't bad, but he seems to get a lot of brownie points for being big and a center. He seems to generate offense pretty well, but not elite, and he's not great defensively. He draws penalties, mostly through being a bit of a sneaky dirty player, and the fact that retaliation gets called far more consistently then initial infractions, and he's a good center, I just don't know that he ever becomes the player some people think he already is.

Laine is a pure weapon, doesn't seem capable of creating a lot of chances himself, but he finishes at a rate that is just bonkers, and can singlehandedly transform a PP. He has a reputation as being bad defensively, which I find funny because he and Dubois are very similar in that regard, but Dubois seems to be thought of as a two-way center while Laine is considered a liability. Reality is they are both just relatively young players who are weaker than average defensively.

Overall, I think Jarmo wins the deal because of the fact that he managed to get a reasonable prospect back in the deal, and got Winnipeg to hold back salary making it so the Jackets can continue to accrue cap space. With how bad Dubois was playing and him almost forcing his way out, I think Jarmo literally did as well as you could hope. That being said, I think given the apparent "perception" about Laine, Chevy managed to get a young center, which is what he wanted, so he probably did as well as he could have given the market conditions, and it helps that he got the position they felt they needed the most help with (aside from D).

I think Columbus wins the deal overall, but it's hard to really fault Winnipeg here.

Seeing how Liane is doing in Columbus.
Is your opinon the same?
RagingSharksFan, MapleLeafsfan2003, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
May 3, 2021 at 12:39 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Seeing how Liane is doing in Columbus.
Is your opinon the same?

Laine in Columbus has been a bust, but Dubois hasn't been much better, so their performance hasn't really changed my opinion. If anything I think Dubois is more disappointing. Laine seems like a complimentary scoring weapon, so him struggling in Columbus doesn't really surprise me or change my opinion of what he is. He doesn't look like a great fit for that team. He needs to go somewhere where there are better players around him. Kind of like a Kessel type player, needs to be 3rd or 4th best forward on a good team, and he can really make an impact in that role.

Dubois seems to be in his ideal situation. He is the 2nd line C on a team with great winger depth, that loves to score off the rush and play a physical game. He seems like he should be set up well to succeed in Winnipeg, but he's been extremely underwhelming.

Where Jarmo did well in this deal is that they were the team that got the throw in to "even" things up, and Rosolovic has actually been the best player in the deal so far, so Columbus still wins the deal so far.
May 3, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Danny12357
Laine in Columbus has been a bust, but Dubois hasn't been much better, so their performance hasn't really changed my opinion. If anything I think Dubois is more disappointing. Laine seems like a complimentary scoring weapon, so him struggling in Columbus doesn't really surprise me or change my opinion of what he is. He doesn't look like a great fit for that team. He needs to go somewhere where there are better players around him. Kind of like a Kessel type player, needs to be 3rd or 4th best forward on a good team, and he can really make an impact in that role.

Dubois seems to be in his ideal situation. He is the 2nd line C on a team with great winger depth, that loves to score off the rush and play a physical game. He seems like he should be set up well to succeed in Winnipeg, but he's been extremely underwhelming.

Where Jarmo did well in this deal is that they were the team that got the throw in to "even" things up, and Rosolovic has actually been the best player in the deal so far, so Columbus still wins the deal so far.

Do you think Laine might refuse to sign in Columbus due to lack C to get him the puck?
May 17, 2021 at 12:47 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Do you think Laine might refuse to sign in Columbus due to lack C to get him the puck?

I'm not sure. Now that Torteralla won't be back next year, I could see him deciding it's best to sign another 1-2 year deal to increase his value before a longer term contract. A 1 year deal would probably be best for all parties. He get's to just 1 year from UFA status, and Columbus gets to take another year to evaluate and showcase the winger while still having some control in the event it makes the most sense to just get back whatever they can rather than signing him for 2 and having to trade him as a rental or letting him potentially walk away.
Jun. 20, 2021 at 9:50 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Zuki9797
Why trade a 40 goal scorer for Dubois AND ADD A PLAYER WHO COULD BUST LOOSE AS SOON AS THIS SEASON
What are you doing WPG

Well everyone in the trade wanted out so you can’t blame the teams
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 20, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: IconicHawk
Well everyone in the trade wanted out so you can’t blame the teams

mm true... and i was right roslovic went insane didnt he

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation