SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Discussing My Concerns About Mitch Marner

Would You Explore Trading Marner?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 24, 2021 at 8:55 p.m.
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
What about Taylor Hall? He’s a big power forward type player with great possession driving numbers historically.

Yeah, he'd be cool, but probably too high a price for a rental. He also has an NMC so he'd have to want to come here.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 9:21 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Obviously it would be nice to get a franchise D but I honestly think the Leafs current blueline is strong enough to contend. Especially with the emergence of Holl and Brodie. I feel the only weak link on the team is Marner. IDK if he can elevate his game to a higher level but if he does Toronto would be unstoppable.

For once you are right. Marner is actually under performing.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 9:41 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Yeah, he'd be cool, but probably too high a price for a rental. He also has an NMC so he'd have to want to come here.

That’s true you don’t want to give up too much for a rental but he might be the piece that puts the Leafs over the top.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Jamiepo
For once you are right. Marner is actually under performing.

Yeah I feel the main issue with Marner right now is he’s not moving his legs in the defensive zone & it’s causing him to get under siege for most of his shifts. That’s why his analytics are poor.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 10:22 p.m.
Go leafs go
Obviously it would be nice to get a franchise D but I honestly think the Leafs current blueline is strong enough to contend. Especially with the emergence of Holl and Brodie. I feel the only weak link on the team is Marner. IDK if he can elevate his game to a higher level but if he does Toronto would be unstoppable.

LOL what higher level do you want? He's leading the nhl in points. Not really much more you can ask. He's not going to win the selke or anything.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 10:24 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Saskleaf
LOL what higher level do you want? He's leading the nhl in points. Not really much more you can ask. He's not going to win the selke or anything.

Fair enough but he’s getting stuck in his own end a little too much that it’s limiting him from generating even more offence. No one expects him to be an elite defensive Forward but even being average would help his case.
Jan. 24, 2021 at 10:27 p.m.
Go leafs go
Fair enough but he’s getting stuck in his own end a little too much that it’s limiting him from generating even more offence. No one expects him to be an elite defensive Forward but even being average would help his case.

I haven't watched too many leafs games, but I don't see why it's much of an issue. And is he really that much below average that it concerns you? Also, worth noting he's on the PK so Keefe disagrees with you.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 9:10 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Yeah I feel the main issue with Marner right now is he’s not moving his legs in the defensive zone & it’s causing him to get under siege for most of his shifts. That’s why his analytics are poor.

He’s been fine defensively. He needs to quit shooting the puck and start using his mitts and vision.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 9:44 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Jamiepo
He’s been fine defensively. He needs to quit shooting the puck and start using his mitts and vision.

Agree and he needs to be more engaged when his team is facilitating a cycle.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 9:45 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Saskleaf
I haven't watched too many leafs games, but I don't see why it's much of an issue. And is he really that much below average that it concerns you? Also, worth noting he's on the PK so Keefe disagrees with you.

Well he’s having to defend a lot during his shifts and giving up a ton of shot attempts. I would like to see him more in the offensive zone.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 27, 2021 at 12:52 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
If you think Marner's been bad, you should check out that Mcdavies guy on the Oilers. Guy's skating is effortless. Can't stand effortless skating, reminds me too much of Scott Niedermayer.
Also, Matthews sucks and his goal scoring has been brutal! I'm pretty skeptical that he can't recapture his 2016 form where he scored 4 goals a game. It just looks like he's not trying anymore when he shoots.
I think if you want to talk about a weak link on the team you better look at Matthews as well. The Leafs have lost 2 games out of 8, time to write off the season, trade the dead weight (marner and matthews) and get some real players.
Lanny_McJagrBomb liked this.
Jan. 27, 2021 at 8:15 p.m.
Even though the Leafs are off to a pretty good start, I can’t help but notice that once again, Mitch Marner is struggling to get to his game. While he is still putting up points, his overall play has just not been at the level that it needs to be.

For example, he is always fumbling the puck and turning it over. He has the tendency to skate into trouble and run straight into the opposition. He is constantly falling over when he steps onto the ice. Away from the puck, it seems like he’s not moving his legs. He just floats around while never making an effort to retrieve pucks or go to the dirty area.

Having followed Marner closely since his debut, I really believe that he is capable of making a much greater impact than what he’s currently offering. However, it seems like he has no more confidence or desire to continue playing for this team.

His decision making and effort has been poor for so long now that the question is no longer a matter of when he will get back to his best form, but rather if it’s even a possibility.

We all want to see him get back to the level he played in 2017/18 and 2018/19. However, before each game we are more worried of him being a liability than expecting him to be a difference maker. If the guy can’t even contribute consistently during the regular season, how can we expect him to help the team win in the playoffs? Perhaps we are getting to the point where a trade would be beneficial for all parties.

Hes playing well now. He should under no circumstances be traded.

Heck, hes leading the league in points.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit