Forums/Armchair-GM

Sabres Sharks Knights 3way

Created by: OutCold13
Team: 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 24, 2021
Published: Jan. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So this trade would assume the Sharks decide to make big changes.
As it stands currently the Knights are over the cap and playing cap games to accumulate cap space. This trade doesn't get them under but it does keep it manageable.

The trade:
Sabres send out Okposo , Mittelstadt, Hutton 1/2 retained, and 2021 2nd round pick.
In return the Sabres receive M-A Fleury.

Vegas sends out Fleury, Nosek, and a 2021 1st.

In return Vegas gets Hutton 1/2 retained and Couture at 7 million AAV. (1 million retained)

Sharks send out Logan Couture 1 Million retained.

In return Sharks get Nosek, Mittelstadt, Okposo, Vegas 2021 1st, and Sabres 2021 2nd.

I hope I explained it well. Not sure it is perfect but it is kind of a spitball offer to start the conversation. Also not sure how Sharks would feel about doing business with the Knights.

I should mention, though I doubt it will matter, the Vegas 1st would be lottery protected.
Trades
BUF
  1. Fleury, Marc-André
Additional Details:
Part of a 3 way trade with Sharks and Vegas.
VGK
  1. Hutton, Carter ($1,375,000 retained)
BUF
    Part of a 3 way trade with Sharks and Vegas.

Please read Description before flipping out on me.
    SJS
    1. Mittelstadt, Casey
    2. Okposo, Kyle
    3. 2021 2nd round pick (BUF)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$70,098,334$1,487,500$4,337,500$11,401,666
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $5,200,000$5,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,050,000$3,050,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,625,000$1,625,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,850,000$2,850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,850,000$3,850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $3,875,000$3,875,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $700,000$700,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 3
    Taxi Squad
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 5
    $864,166$864,166 ($0$0$0$0)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $845,000$845,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    G
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:01 p.m.
    VGKNation702
    Deal
    OutCold13 liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
    Jets Fan
    Fun proposal, seems like a win for everyone to me
    OutCold13 liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:03 p.m.
    I really wish there was a function for 3-way trades. That would make things much easier.

But on the trade itself, I’m not really sure how I feel. Not awful at all but getting rid of Couture means we literally have no afire top 9 center which just isn’t good. I do understand that we get Mittelstadt and Nosek back, but Nosek as your 2C is kind of brutal. Picks are nice, but won’t be very high at all. Plus Okposo is a pure cap dump. Just not a whole lot that really intrigues the Sharks here so this is a pretty easy decline.
    OutCold13 and yikes liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: RawZuccSauce420
    I really wish there was a function for 3-way trades. That would make things much easier.

But on the trade itself, I’m not really sure how I feel. Not awful at all but getting rid of Couture means we literally have no afire top 9 center which just isn’t good. I do understand that we get Mittelstadt and Nosek back, but Nosek as your 2C is kind of brutal. Picks are nice, but won’t be very high at all. Plus Okposo is a pure cap dump. Just not a whole lot that really intrigues the Sharks here so this is a pretty easy decline.

I just think the Sharks might not have it. I don't think it would be a smart move just yet for the Sharks but in 5 to 10 more games Wilson should have a good feel for the team and if he has to rework the roster he will have to move some long term contracts. I don't see Coutures contract aging well and Vegas wants to win now. Okposo is a cap dump but Imo the compensation is fair.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:12 p.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Edited Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
    Not a bad proposal by any means but:

Vegas wins

Sabres are happy

Sharks are indifferent

Here my thoughts to elaborate:

Sabres lose okposo and gain cap space but then they receive a goalie they could use. They basically swap okposo for fleury which is a win for them.

Vegas gains a top 6 centre but also gain long term cap. They move fleury to negate the gained cap so it kinda works. Definitely makes them a cup favourite purely on depth and coutures love for playoffs. Not a long term win but they definitely can beat Colorado and Tampa more then ever now.

Sharks lose couture whose worth a first alone at the least (imo a first and prospect is fitting just due to the term, not a A level prospect; more like a B or C but that’s what you get for a 7 year contract). They take on Okposo who should return a first as incentive alone (likely more compensation then just a single first). So the sharks lose couture and take on a cap dump for a 1st,2nd and a real project in Casey m (who I like btw).

If you were to edit the trade I’d think the sharks need more return. Either 1 A/B/C prospect and a pick varying on that prospect. I’d say if that’s done then everyone wins. Right now the sharks are biting the bullet here and not gaining a lot.

FOR EXAMPLE NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
    If the sharks gained Krebs here that’s alone enough to make this fair. So I wouldn’t add more/ another pick (This makes it very favourable for the sharks tho and tips the scales).

If the sharks gained a more fair prospect that’s about the level of B prospects then I’d say maybe another 2nd or a 3rd depending on the name once again.

Then it becomes a perfect 3 way imo. If we were to sell; sharks start strong and gain long term cap. Sabres get a goalie for now while they plan for the future. And Vegas instantly becomes a stronger cup favourite (and they already were) (Stone, couture, smith, tuch, glass, March, Karlsson, pietrangelo, Theodore, lehner??? That sounds like a super team that can compete with tbl and col).
    OutCold13 liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:16 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: yikes
    Not a bad proposal by any means but:

Vegas wins

Sabres are happy

Sharks are indifferent

Here my thoughts to elaborate:

Sabres lose okposo and gain cap space but then they receive a goalie they could use. They basically swap okposo for fleury which is a win for them.

Vegas gains a top 6 centre but also gain long term cap. They move fleury to negate the gained cap so it kinda works. Definitely makes them a cup favourite purely on depth and coutures love for playoffs. Not a long term win but they definitely can beat Colorado and Tampa more then ever now.

Sharks lose couture whose worth a first alone at the least (imo a first and prospect is fitting just due to the term, not a A level prospect; more like a B or C but that’s what you get for a 7 year contract). They take on Okposo who should return a first as incentive alone (likely more compensation then just a single first). So the sharks lose couture and take on a cap dump for a 1st,2nd and a real project in Casey m (who I like btw).

If you were to edit the trade I’d think the sharks need more return. Either 1 A/ B prospect and a pick varying on that prospect. I’d say if that’s done then everyone wins. Right now the sharks are biting the bullet here and not gaining a lot.

FOR EXAMPLE NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
    If the sharks gained Krebs here that’s alone enough to make this fair. So I wouldn’t add more/ another pick (This makes it very favourable for the sharks tho and tips the scales).

If the sharks gained a more fair prospect that’s about the level of B prospects then I’d say maybe another 2nd or a 3rd depending on the name once again.

Thanks I like your suggestions and seems to lineup with some of the other feedback.
    yikes liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:21 p.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Quoting: OutCold13
    Thanks I like your suggestions and seems to lineup with some of the other feedback.

I edited my comment more** incase that matters and np.

I do think something like this NEEDS to happen for a sharks rebuild. I have some drafts regarding rebuilds and definitely a trade like this makes rebuilding a lot better if it was added to most situations. I’ve also explored VAN incase Buffalo wouldnt “workout” with Eriksson. Either way I’m excited to see the sharks play the wild again cause we beat the blues but the Wild are FLYING this year out the gate so we’ve got a real test tonight because this wild team is scary when firing on all cylinders (which we could see tonight). we have to pass this test and the Vegas series otherwise by game 10-15 we could be selling.
    OutCold13 liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.
    I just think the Sharks might not have it. I don't think it would be a smart move just yet for the Sharks but in 5 to 10 more games Wilson should have a good feel for the team and if he has to rework the roster he will have to move some long term contracts. I don't see Coutures contract aging well and Vegas wants to win now. Okposo is a cap dump but Imo the compensation is fair.

Agreed on pretty much all counts. Especially the fact that we’ll find out how the franchise goes in the next 10-20 games. So I don’t think the essence of getting rid of couture and taking on cap dumps for assets horrible. I’m just not excited by anything coming back at all. It’s gonna be a very low 1st, a mid 2nd at best, Nosek who isn’t good imo, Mittelstadt, who is quite possibly a bust and Okposo who will be clogging up our system for 2+ more years. Just don’t think that’s enticing enough to get rid of our captain while retaining for another 7 years.
    OutCold13 liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: RawZuccSauce420
    Agreed on pretty much all counts. Especially the fact that we’ll find out how the franchise goes in the next 10-20 games. So I don’t think the essence of getting rid of couture and taking on cap dumps for assets horrible. I’m just not excited by anything coming back at all. It’s gonna be a very low 1st, a mid 2nd at best, Nosek who isn’t good imo, Mittelstadt, who is quite possibly a bust and Okposo who will be clogging up our system for 2+ more years. Just don’t think that’s enticing enough to get rid of our captain while retaining for another 7 years.

Yeah. @yikes had some good suggestions on it. I think in theory it is a workable trade maybe add a prospect like Elvenes and 3rd from the Knights. The 1 million retained until the end of time is a bitter pill 💊.
    yikes liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:49 p.m.
    Yeah. @yikes had some good suggestions on it. I think in theory it is a workable trade maybe add a prospect like Elvenes and 3rd from the Knights. The 1 million retained until the end of time is a bitter pill 💊.

Yeah just read his post and I agree. I think the Sharks need quality>quantity in this scenario. Retaining for that long is brutal but also a consequence of signing horrible contracts.
    OutCold13 and yikes liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 5:52 p.m.
    As a Sharks fan id be so mad if we made this trade. We'd be getting rid of a consistent 50+ point forward for a max 20 point scorer, a possible first round bust, a first and second round pick and a horrid Kyle Okposo contract is absolutely brutal. My thought process is that we should be getting this haul for Cooch without having to take on a horrible Okposo contract.
    OutCold13 liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2021 at 6:16 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: BCNYY02
    As a Sharks fan id be so mad if we made this trade. We'd be getting rid of a consistent 50+ point forward for a max 20 point scorer, a possible first round bust, a first and second round pick and a horrid Kyle Okposo contract is absolutely brutal. My thought process is that we should be getting this haul for Cooch without having to take on a horrible Okposo contract.

Problem is anyone who wants cooch will not have cap space for him so a cap dump is inevitable.
    Feb. 5, 2021 at 12:20 a.m.
    Banned
    Hey mod, as someone who has been raped, I assure you the way I used the word is in perfectly fine context.

According Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the second definition of Rape - an outrageous violation
    TheeDjeeEem liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll