Forums/Armchair-GM

Deals Incoming

Created by: Coleharborcrosby
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2021
Published: Jan. 25, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This team will be making trades in the near future. I have NO idea who it will be. This is what I would be doing.

Graves makes sense for both teams. Healthy scratch and falling out of favour in Colorado it makes sense for them to move him for a depth D and a pick. They won’t allow him to sit in the press box as that benefits no one. I think it’s better for them to go opposite ways now. They can use that pick or their other assets to acquire an impact TDL veteran. Getzlaf? Fleury? There will be good opportunities at the TDL this year and clearing cap on a guy who looks to be a healthy scratch makes sense. ZAR is an awesome player but hasn’t had injury luck (like anyone in Pitt). I don’t want to trade him but I think he benefits from a change of scenery. This deal helps both teams. Avs have capability of adding and going for a cup run. They won’t miss Graves with the talent they have on D. Riikola is a good insurance policy in case someone gets hurt.

Colin White is also getting pushed out of Ottawa. Good player and deserves better. Exact type of player Pitt wants. Fast, tenacious, skilled. Ottawa has a weak backend. MP would be a huge improvement. They have Sanderson but he is at least 2 years away. MP would be their 2LD for many years. I think he would make an amazing second pairing with fellow swede Brannstrom. This trade fills the need for each team. Both teams win. I think with Sceviour and Reilly the trade is fair. If Ott wants a pick/prospect too then so be it. A 3rd next year? Sure. Bjorkqvist? Sure. I think the value is fair as is because it helps both teams fill a need but if Ottawa wants a bonus because he is a former 1st then Pens can buck up and throw in another piece.

Reilly and POJ platoon the left side until Matheson returns.

Ruhwedel and Ceci platoon the right side. I actually really like Ruhwedel lately.

O Connor gets a shot on 3rd line. He has shown some scoring touch. That is a dangerous 3rd line now. You could also put any of Rust, Kapanen, Zucker with Sid/Geno. I think Zucker doesn’t fit well with Geno. He played well with Sid and Jake last year. Try that again.

You keep Janko/Tanev together. They have some real chemistry. But that isn’t a Stanley cup third line. It is now a Stanley Cup capable 4th line. Lafferty/Erod can fill in when needed.
This team is now ready to compete for a Stanley cup.
Trades
PIT
  1. Graves, Ryan
  2. 2021 6th round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Aston-Reese, Zach
  2. Riikola, Juuso
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$79,873,334$0$1,700,000$1,626,666

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,940,000$2,940,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
Taxi Squad
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000 ($175,000$175K$175,000$175K)
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
LW, C
UFA - 1
LD
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 25, 2021 at 9:59 p.m.
Still doesn't help the Avs, they don't need another (currently injured) depth wing to add to Compher, Bellemare, Calvert, Donskoi, Jost, Nichushkin, Kaut. Graves is their injury cover on D for the cup run. You don't sacrifice that quality unless you're getting something that helps NOW! Picks for a trade that may never be available are also no use, however nice they may be in isolation. These kinds of trades simply won't get you Graves. Unless you're offering a quality #3C it's no deal. He's also needed to be exposed for the expansion draft.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
Avs decline, again. You’re logic behind graves and why the avs would move him don’t make any sense especially for that return,

Not happening
Richard88 and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
John 3 16
Lol, one healthy scratch doesn't mean that Graves is on the trade block.

Colorado have a really deep blueline, and with Erik Johnson still not ready to play Bednar clearly just wanted to have a big RHS on the PK, hence Pateryn playing, along with Timmins who needs ice time so that coaches can see what they have in him.

You may have noticed that Pateryn was waived today to send to the taxi squad, so clearly he's not going to be playing much going forwards.

Avs have a pretty luxurious situation on D with 7 Dmen capable of playing in the top 4, so it does make sense to move one if we were to make a move. However, we're not going to move a Dman for bottom 6ers and draft picks like the trade in this AGM. Rather, if Timmins or Graves were to be traded it would most certainly be for a top 6 forward or a good middle 6 center.
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:07 p.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
Still doesn't help the Avs, they don't need another (currently injured) depth wing to add to Compher, Bellemare, Calvert, Donskoi, Jost, Nichushkin, Kaut. Graves is their injury cover on D for the cup run. You don't sacrifice that quality unless you're getting something that helps NOW! Picks for a trade that may never be available are also no use, however nice they may be in isolation. These kinds of trades simply won't get you Graves. Unless you're offering a quality #3C it's no deal. He's also needed to be exposed for the expansion draft.

I thought about not including ZAR because they have so many forwards. But now I think they can move a forward and use their picks to get a 3C. I would go for Getzlaf 50% retained if I was Avs.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:08 p.m.
John 3 16

But, don't you want a 2nd round pick that might turn into Ryan Graves 4 years from now? squinty smile
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:09 p.m.
Quoting: Richard88
Lol, one healthy scratch doesn't mean that Graves is on the trade block.

Colorado have a really deep blueline, and with Erik Johnson still not ready to play Bednar clearly just wanted to have a big RHS on the PK, hence Pateryn playing, along with Timmins who needs ice time so that coaches can see what they have in him.

You may have noticed that Pateryn was waived today to send to the taxi squad, so clearly he's not going to be playing much going forwards.

Avs have a pretty luxurious situation on D with 7 Dmen capable of playing in the top 4, so it does make sense to move one if we were to make a move. However, we're not going to move a Dman for bottom 6ers and draft picks like the trade in this AGM. Rather, if Timmins or Graves were to be traded it would most certainly be for a top 6 forward or a good middle 6 center.

I get that. But trades are difficult. And the forward they are looking for will be a rental. They won’t be able to resign them. Teams trading rentals don’t want roster players. They want picks/prospects. This trade gives them cap space and assets to do that.
Quoting: ChampEddy
I thought about not including ZAR because they have so many forwards. But now I think they can move a forward and use their picks to get a 3C. I would go for Getzlaf 50% retained if I was Avs.

It's a nice idea in theory but they're just not natural trading partners. If the Avs are looking at Getzlaf/Tierney/Bonino/Staal or whoever then they could use Graves in that trade or use others and still keep Graves as injury cover for their cup run.
Richard88 liked this.
John 3 16

Getzlaf is finishing his career as a Duck. He has his cups, no reason to go anywhere.

But yeah, if he's open to it then that would be a great add. Albeit the fact that he's a bit slow.
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 10:11 p.m.
John 3 16
I get that. But trades are difficult. And the forward they are looking for will be a rental. They won’t be able to resign them. Teams trading rentals don’t want roster players. They want picks/prospects. This trade gives them cap space and assets to do that.

Why wouldn't Colorado trade Graves for pure futures then, like a late 1st or 2 2nd's then? One 2nd round pick and a couple of depth guys isn't going to add much ammunition at the deadline.
TJTwolf, coga16 and Pensfan89 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 11:24 p.m.
Serf
I’d hate to lose Colin White, but this seems like a fair trade for both Ottawa and Pittsburg.
Coleharborcrosby liked this.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 11:29 p.m.
Why wouldn't Colorado trade Graves for pure futures then, like a late 1st or 2 2nd's then? One 2nd round pick and a couple of depth guys isn't going to add much ammunition at the deadline.

Pittsburgh is only team rumoured to want to add a dman right now. A lot of teams in a position to give up futures don’t have a need for Graves. Graves is a decent player it’s not like he is anything truly elite.
Jan. 25, 2021 at 11:37 p.m.
Pittsburgh is only team rumoured to want to add a dman right now. A lot of teams in a position to give up futures don’t have a need for Graves. Graves is a decent player it’s not like he is anything truly elite.

Top 4 D on any team. If Toews fetched 2 seconds for a team under cap pressure then Graves should fetch the same or similar, as the margin isn't great between them. So realistically make it two seconds and the Avs maybe consider it. Difference between the Avs and NYI is the Avs don't need to do it.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 12:18 a.m.
If Ottawa's dead set against playing white, this could be an option i suppose. How long term is Pettersson's injury? He could help Ottawa a lot this season.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 1:18 a.m.
Top 4 D on any team. If Toews fetched 2 seconds for a team under cap pressure then Graves should fetch the same or similar, as the margin isn't great between them. So realistically make it two seconds and the Avs maybe consider it. Difference between the Avs and NYI is the Avs don't need to do it.

Toews is who they basically replaced Graves with! Toews is significantly better than Graves...

The value is enough. I think its possible the Avs get this offer and say “Hey, let’s take this and use it to make our team better”
Jan. 26, 2021 at 1:19 a.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
If Ottawa's dead set against playing white, this could be an option i suppose. How long term is Pettersson's injury? He could help Ottawa a lot this season.

He is week to week they haven’t said very much. I think a concussion, could be a few days could be a few weeks.

I think the trade makes sense. Similar cap hits and length as well.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 1:25 a.m.
Quoting: sensibleguy
I’d hate to lose Colin White, but this seems like a fair trade for both Ottawa and Pittsburg.

I think it is a good fit. Both teams improve. Similar contracts too.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 1:38 a.m.
Toews is who they basically replaced Graves with! Toews is significantly better than Graves...

The value is enough. I think its possible the Avs get this offer and say “Hey, let’s take this and use it to make our team better”

No he isn't (they added Toews to the D corps and we've already explained why the Avs would want both), no he isn't (go look at some advanced metrics if you don't believe me), no it isn't (we've already explained why in numerous posts), no they don't (again already explained), and no it doesn't (again already explained). Quit flogging a dead horse! LOL!
Jan. 26, 2021 at 1:52 a.m.
No he isn't (they added Toews to the D corps and we've already explained why the Avs would want both), no he isn't (go look at some advanced metrics if you don't believe me), no it isn't (we've already explained why in numerous posts), no they don't (again already explained), and no it doesn't (again already explained). Quit flogging a dead horse! LOL!

Ask your coach what he thinks.

Ask your GM if he thinks the deal allows them to improve their team. Ask Sakic if Graves is more valuable in the press box or in exchange for assets and cap space to improve the team.

This transaction allows for another transaction to improve this team. There will not be a bidding war to take on salary even for a player like Graves (who isn’t anything truly elite)

Trading a player you like is never easy. But in real life trading someone who is unhappy or not a fit makes the decision easier. Especially when you can improve your team from it.

This deal makes sense. I’m not saying they accept, because they might want to hold on for a while and see how the situation plays out. But the Pens offer this and I think if things continue as they are then Sakic does this in anticipation of other moves. Also, long-term it could allow them to keep more of their core players.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 2:05 a.m.
Edited Jan. 26, 2021 at 2:13 a.m.

Ask your GM if he thinks the deal allows them to improve their team. Ask Sakic if Graves is more valuable in the press box or in exchange for assets and cap space to improve the team.

This transaction allows for another transaction to improve this team. There will not be a bidding war to take on salary even for a player like Graves (who isn’t anything truly elite)

Trading a player you like is never easy. But in real life trading someone who is unhappy or not a fit makes the decision easier. Especially when you can improve your team from it.

This deal makes sense. I’m not saying they accept, because they might want to hold on for a while and see how the situation plays out. But the Pens offer this and I think if things continue as they are then Sakic does this in anticipation of other moves. Also, long-term it could allow them to keep more of their core players.

Graves has sat in the press box for one game, it's not a question of unhappiness or being a fit. It's called rotating the D. It's smart, it means your D corps will have received hopefully less attrition during the season. The rest is utter cobblers that you've already been told is so. The deal makes zero sense. Sakic will hold onto Graves for the cup run, the expansion draft and with cap space accruing already will likely only consider moving Graves (though the least likely to be moved, he'll more likely use picks/prospects/Compher/Jost/Donskoi) at the TDL for a #3C. Make up as many 'out there' reasons as you like but it still makes no difference. It's not even about trading a player I like, it's about YOU wanting a player YOU like for YOUR team and not being willing to see that your offer isn't even in the ball park. You're not even considering the position of the Avs logically and trying to offer up what they would need only the needs of the Pens. I've already told you what you'd almost certainly need to have to make Sakic blink. Two seconds or a late first or a quality #3C. Otherwise I see zero reason for the trade from the Avs PoV. Others have told you the same. I get this is all wishful thinking on here but you really need to let it go, ain't happening no matter how much you wish for it!
Jan. 26, 2021 at 2:28 a.m.
Your question some time ago, maybe in the previous iteration of this, should have been 'Ok, what would it take?' To which you would have received the answer 'Two seconds or a late first or a quality #3C.' Then you would ask yourself do I have a quality #3C to trade, the most valued option for Colorado, and am I willing to part with them. The answer to the first part is no, so the second part is moot. Then come back with a second and a third (if you're willing to part with that) and Avs fans might have said 'Well that's close to fair value but we still don't think Sakic would do it', or 'Yes, we think Sakic would pull the trigger', but honestly you're not even close in any iteration so far. Come back with the two seconds and most Avs fans would say that Sakic would be considering it. The trade has to consist of a) fair value and b) meet the needs of both teams. Y'ken?
Jan. 26, 2021 at 2:36 a.m.
But, don't you want a 2nd round pick that might turn into Ryan Graves 4 years from now? squinty smile

MIGHT being the operative word. Lol.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 3:55 a.m.
Serf
Quoting: Claesson4Norris

He is week to week they haven’t said very much. I think a concussion, could be a few days could be a few weeks.

I think the trade makes sense. Similar cap hits and length as well.

Upper body injury could be a concussion, or maybe it’s his shoulder. Could be bruised ribs, or his back/core. It’s hard to say if they don’t elaborate. Whatever it is, it’s mild if he’s week to week.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 9:29 a.m.

sThis makes 0 sense....Avs should trade Graves bc he sat out 1 game and you think he has no value yet you are trying to trade for him time and time again and put him in your Top 4, but Pens Dman have value to trade away as well who has a longer more expensive cap hit? I thought this was a. flat cap era and no one wanted those contracts

Right avs are a better team not rotating their D and trading a good Dman for Pens scraps...A dman who would be a healthy scratch and would never get into the line up or help, an Injured player who only tops out as a 4th liner and is still 6 weeks away from being able to play and a draft pick

If Pettersson has value then Graves has value....you cant have your cake and eat it too
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 9:30 a.m.
Quoting: sensibleguy
Upper body injury could be a concussion, or maybe it’s his shoulder. Could be bruised ribs, or his back/core. It’s hard to say if they don’t elaborate. Whatever it is, it’s mild if he’s week to week.

I think it’s arm/elbow/shoulder. Cause that’s what it seemed like he was grabbing at. But being that it was a blind side hit and he spun around so could be a concussion too
sensibleguy liked this.
Jan. 26, 2021 at 10:05 a.m.
John 3 16

Yeah, Avs have no pressure to trade Graves, which keeps his price relatively high, compared to Toews who NYI were forced to move due to their cap situation. Toews was also an RFA with no contract which reduced the price to acquire him further.
TJTwolf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll