Created by: TheCrewHQ
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 28, 2021
Published: Jan. 28, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
TOR
  1. Manson, Josh ($600,000 retained)
  2. Rakell, Rickard ($1,789,444 retained)
ANA
  1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
  2. Holl, Justin
  3. Lehtonen, Mikko
  4. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
  5. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
  6. 2022 5th round pick (TOR)
OTT
  1. Engvall, Pierre
  2. Vesey, Jimmy
  3. 2022 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Jenner, Boone
  2. Korpisalo, Joonas
  3. 2021 1st round pick (CBJ)
  4. 2021 5th round pick (NJD)
  5. 2022 2nd round pick (CBJ)
  6. 2023 2nd round pick (CBJ)
TOR
  1. Bouchard, Evan
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Andersen, Frederik ($2,000,000 retained)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$71,670,436$0$0$9,829,564

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$673,695$673,695
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:08 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: sensibleguy
This is good for Ottawa, who doesn't need or care about Watson, who's signed for 3 seasons at $1.5MM per. They can watch Vesey walk after this meh season, and either buy out that last year of Engvall's contract, or just play or sit him all season because they have the cap space. So it's $4.5MM salary dollars out, and $3.4MM salary dollars in, a savings of $1.1MM real cash to pay for Watson's replacement in that 3rd season, possibly another Galchenyuk/Spezza/Ennis cheap signing, and they get a 3rd.

Trade makes no sense for the leafs but “gRiT mAn”
sensibleguy liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:11 p.m.
Oilers decline. Koskinen is better than Andersen for the 2nd year in a row and the oilers D sucks.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:13 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Salzy
Ah yes the stats that come from playing with a playoff team compared to a lottery team? very good way to judge players. Having a good D partner doesnt affect the god awful offense the Ducks have had for 3 years now.

Never said that wasnt fair for Rakell, I said not with 50% retention, And the Ducks need Quality assets, especially in a Rakell trade not quantity

So Hedman and Parayko are no good and Manson is? Good Dmen can only play for non playoff teams? I disagree. Then you blame your offence for the problem and say those players should also be traded at a premium.

Good teams are good because of good players.

Holl is suffering from the capfriendly effect. You made your judgement on him 40 games into his career. You’ll also be late to the “Holl is actually really good” party. Because you won’t admit he is good till you’re forced by everyone else.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:13 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo
Trade makes no sense for the leafs but “gRiT mAn”

GrIt!!!!
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:14 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Copenhagen
Oilers decline. Koskinen is better than Andersen for the 2nd year in a row and the oilers D sucks.

*spits out coffee...
vr1995 liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:14 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Not trading Wood for scraps
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:15 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Using the Kapanen trade as a comparable is kind of unrealistic. Dubas got out in front of a market that he knew was going to shift, and it since has. It was an absolute steal in the first place and circumstances are different now.

Oh, I see, your player gets an inflated return due to a market fluke but we get a lesser return for a better player who, with the retention, costs less? C'mon.

Lmfao, bet it would but I think we keep him. Would probably be engvall a 1st and a 2nd for Rackell retained. Give or a take a bit. Engvall for cap reasons.

Kapanen for a first and Hallander = Rakell with retention for a first and Niemela. Your first is likely to be well further down the chart from Pittsburgh's. We can do a side deal for a low 2021 pick for Engvall. (We got Nic Des Lauriers for a fourth and as I recall we have an extra 2021 fifth.)
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:19 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Oh, I see, your player gets an inflated return due to a market fluke but we get a lesser return for a better player who, with the retention, costs less? C'mon.

Kapanen for a first and Hallander = Rakell with retention for a first and Niemela. Your first is likely to be well further down the chart from Pittsburgh's. We can do a side deal for a low 2021 pick for Engvall. (We got Nic Des Lauriers for a fourth and as I recall we have an extra 2021 fifth.)

Niemela is just coming off defender of the tournament at the world juniors, I doubt Dubas considers trading him with a first for a boost in the mid 6 position. If Rackell is that important to the ducks he might just be more valuable to keep. Leafs have Robertson and Thornton on ltir. When they return it will be hard to justify that type of payment for Rackell.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:21 p.m.
So Hedman and Parayko are no good and Manson is? Good Dmen can only play for non playoff teams? I disagree. Then you blame your offence for the problem and say those players should also be traded at a premium.

Good teams are good because of good players.

Holl is suffering from the capfriendly effect. You made your judgement on him 40 games into his career. You’ll also be late to the “Holl is actually really good” party. Because you won’t admit he is good till you’re forced by everyone else.

Did I mention either of them? Are you mad because you cant refute my point so you pull something ridiculous out of no where?

I dont blame Rakell, who is our best offensive player. Where was I demanding a premium for any one other than Rakell? Please inform me.

I never said Holl wasnt good, I said he wasnt AS good as Manson, it is possible for both to be good. I will never be "forced by everyone else" I'm not a sheep I have a brain and I evaluate players myself. Holl has not shown me anything that suggests he is better than Manson.

Theres a reason he only has 90 games played 2 days before he turns 29
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:25 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Niemela is just coming off defender of the tournament at the world juniors, I doubt Dubas considers trading him with a first for a boost in the mid 6 position. If Rackell is that important to the ducks he might just be more valuable to keep. Leafs have Robertson and Thornton on ltir. When they return it will be hard to justify that type of payment for Rackell.

Rakell and Hyman would be your top-6 LWs and there's always the chance that you might not have Hyman next year. Moreover, when Robertson and Thornton come back, there's no assurance that they'll have significant positive impact. Since Toronto is in more of a "win-now" mode than Anaheim, I would think that this is the sort of deal you'd like.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Devil1122
Not trading Wood for scraps

Lmao
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Copenhagen

ahahahahahahahaha
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:28 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Did I mention either of them? Are you mad because you cant refute my point so you pull something ridiculous out of no where?

I dont blame Rakell, who is our best offensive player. Where was I demanding a premium for any one other than Rakell? Please inform me.

I never said Holl wasnt good, I said he wasnt AS good as Manson, it is possible for both to be good. I will never be "forced by everyone else" I'm not a sheep I have a brain and I evaluate players myself. Holl has not shown me anything that suggests he is better than Manson.

Theres a reason he only has 90 games played 2 days before he turns 29

Refute your point? That is the roundest edge on an argument I have ever heard. Make a point and I will refute it. Holl leads Manson in every possible stat, he is more skilled, has better vision and shuts down top offensive players in the league. Leafs offence has been sputtering and Holl is a big reason we are winning games. If we swapped Holl for Manson leafs would win less and ducks would win more, simple as that.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:29 p.m.

No, our player didn't get an inflated return because of a market fluke. He got an inflated return because the GM we dealt with got ripped off. And I'm not saying you have to get a lesser return for Rakell, I'm saying that using a trade where one team got bent over a table to justify a higher ask for another player isn't likely to pan out. The way the market has gone just doesn't help, either.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:31 p.m.
Ah yes the stats that come from playing with a playoff team compared to a lottery team? very good way to judge players. Having a good D partner doesnt affect the god awful offense the Ducks have had for 3 years now.

Never said that wasnt fair for Rakell, I said not with 50% retention, And the Ducks need Quality assets, especially in a Rakell trade not quantity

Ah, yes, ignoring the stats because the players play on different quality teams. Very good way to judge players.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.
Refute your point? That is the roundest edge on an argument I have ever heard. Make a point and I will refute it. Holl leads Manson in every possible stat, he is more skilled, has better vision and shuts down top offensive players in the league. Leafs offence has been sputtering and Holl is a big reason we are winning games. If we swapped Holl for Manson leafs would win less and ducks would win more, simple as that.

My point being comparing stats of players on a playoff team compared to a lottery team is idiotic. which youve gone back to. Manson also shuts down top offensive players.

All thats being accomplished here is us getting more entrenched in our opinions, I respect yours and I always have, you're one of the few Leaf fans I enjoy reading opinions from on here but I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:33 p.m.
Ah, yes, ignoring the stats because the players play on different quality teams. Very good way to judge players.

Never said to ignore them but ok. I said it isnt a good way of saying player A is better than player B
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:33 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Rakell and Hyman would be your top-6 LWs and there's always the chance that you might not have Hyman next year. Moreover, when Robertson and Thornton come back, there's no assurance that they'll have significant positive impact. Since Toronto is in more of a "win-now" mode than Anaheim, I would think that this is the sort of deal you'd like.

There is about a 1% chance that Hyman isn’t back after the expansion draft. (Career ending injury). When Thornton and Robertson return, they should both be inserted directly into the line up.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:39 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
My point being comparing stats of players on a playoff team compared to a lottery team is idiotic. which youve gone back to. Manson also shuts down top offensive players.

All thats being accomplished here is us getting more entrenched in our opinions, I respect yours and I always have, you're one of the few Leaf fans I enjoy reading opinions from on here but I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here

Agreed, I respect your opinion as well... but this could have been an 8 page contest that changed no one’s opinion.
Salzy liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
No, our player didn't get an inflated return because of a market fluke. He got an inflated return because the GM we dealt with got ripped off. And I'm not saying you have to get a lesser return for Rakell, I'm saying that using a trade where one team got bent over a table to justify a higher ask for another player isn't likely to pan out. The way the market has gone just doesn't help, either.

"Getting ripped off" is the very DEFINITION of "market fluke," and it's exactly what you're arguing: that the market isn't the same for any similar player. There's something fishy about contending that a trade you guys made shouldn't be used against you as a comparable because your player wasn't worth what you got for him. And what trades since the Kapanen trade do you believe indicate that the market has gone against trading top-6 forwards?
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:41 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Well, let's look at the stats: over his career, Rakell is a 0.6-points-per-game player on a historically offensive-challenged team; Kapanen, 0.4 on a racehorse overly-productive team.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
There is about a 1% chance that Hyman isn’t back after the expansion draft. (Career ending injury). When Thornton and Robertson return, they should both be inserted directly into the line up.

Do you know how outraged the Colorado cognoscenti get when I suggest that Hyman and Landeskog are both guaranteed to return to their respective teams, and thus don't have to be protected in the expansion draft?
Jan. 28, 2021 at 3:33 p.m.
Well, let's look at the stats: over his career, Rakell is a 0.6-points-per-game player on a historically offensive-challenged team; Kapanen, 0.4 on a racehorse overly-productive team.

Rakell and Kapanen weren't the topic players here, and I didn't contend that Kapanen is better or equal, but if you really want to get into that, we can later on, I suppose...

"Getting ripped off" is the very DEFINITION of "market fluke," and it's exactly what you're arguing: that the market isn't the same for any similar player. There's something fishy about contending that a trade you guys made shouldn't be used against you as a comparable because your player wasn't worth what you got for him. And what trades since the Kapanen trade do you believe indicate that the market has gone against trading top-6 forwards?

By market fluke, it appears we had a miscommunication, my bad. I had thought you were referring to the timing of the deal and the shift in the landscape of the NHL that has since come. Getting out in front of that certainly helped the Leafs maximize the return they got for Kapanen, but even so, I think they recouped more than even the most optimistic Leafs fans hoped for. What I'm arguing is that the trade was likely an outlier based on the reactions of Leafs fans, Pens fans, and others, the vast majority of whom agreed that the Leafs fleeced the Penguins, and an outlier isn't likely to be strong support in a separate trade negotiation. There's nothing really fishy about that; regardless of what teams are involved, my stance on that would be the same. There haven't really been any top 6 trades since then except for player for player swaps, and I'm not saying that the market's gone against trading top 6 forwards - high end players are the least impacted by all this, as far as trade value goes, imo. I don't, however, think it's unfair to say that circumstances have changed and a flat cap, quarantine period, and loss of revenue have likely had an influence on mentality among GM's which may (but may not), impact a potential Rakell deal, whether directly or indirectly.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rakell and Kapanen weren't the topic players here, and I didn't contend that Kapanen is better or equal, but if you really want to get into that, we can later on, I suppose...

By market fluke, it appears we had a miscommunication, my bad. I had thought you were referring to the timing of the deal and the shift in the landscape of the NHL that has since come. Getting out in front of that certainly helped the Leafs maximize the return they got for Kapanen, but even so, I think they recouped more than even the most optimistic Leafs fans hoped for. What I'm arguing is that the trade was likely an outlier based on the reactions of Leafs fans, Pens fans, and others, the vast majority of whom agreed that the Leafs fleeced the Penguins, and an outlier isn't likely to be strong support in a separate trade negotiation. There's nothing really fishy about that; regardless of what teams are involved, my stance on that would be the same. There haven't really been any top 6 trades since then except for player for player swaps, and I'm not saying that the market's gone against trading top 6 forwards - high end players are the least impacted by all this, as far as trade value goes, imo. I don't, however, think it's unfair to say that circumstances have changed and a flat cap, quarantine period, and loss of revenue have likely had an influence on mentality among GM's which may (but may not), impact a potential Rakell deal, whether directly or indirectly.

I really love vigorously debating heartfelt opinions with you and @Jamiepo without anyone taking offense or injuring pride.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.
I really love vigorously debating heartfelt opinions with you and Jamiepo without anyone taking offense or injuring pride.

As do I.
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll