Forums/Armchair-GM

Curious to hear opinions of non COL fans

Created by: justaBoss
Team: 2020-21 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 28, 2021
Published: Jan. 28, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I made a post regarding a Huberdeau trade to COL. The response from COL fans was, well, mostly negative.

I'd like to hear some less biased opinions on the exchange I offered, and the counteroffers I got.

Key thing here is that it's supposed to be a draft day deal for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft.

Personally, I think all of these offers all lowballing on Huberdeau. But I'd like to hear what you think.
Trades
COL
  1. Huberdeau, Jonathan ($2,950,000 retained)
FLA
  1. Byram, Bowen
  2. Compher, J.T.
  3. 2021 1st round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
This was my initial offer
COL
    Huberdeau
    FLA
    1. Timmins, Conor
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (COL)
    3. 2022 1st round pick (COL)
    Additional Details:
    This was the first counteroffer
    COL
      Huberdeau
      FLA
      1. Girard, Samuel
      2. 2022 3rd round pick (COL)
      Additional Details:
      This was the second counteroffer
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$81,500,000$75,326,387$0$2,500,000$6,173,613
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
      $5,571,429$5,571,429
      LW, C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $6,300,000$6,300,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the Florida Panthers
      $2,950,000$2,950,000
      LW, RW
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $9,250,000$9,250,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 5
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $874,125$874,125
      C
      UFA - 1
      $4,900,000$4,900,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,850,000$2,850,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $3,900,000$3,900,000
      RW
      UFA - 3
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,100,000$4,100,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $3,333,333$3,333,333
      G
      UFA - 1
      $3,166,667$3,166,667
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 3
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $725,000$725,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Taxi Squad
      $725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      G
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:06 p.m.
      Edited Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:27 p.m.. Reason: Edit: mis-read. So answer altered.
      I get you're looking for 'less biased' opinions but I'd say from top to bottom, from the Avs PoV, too much, too little, probably fair if the pick was changed to the 2023 second (third isn't enough but FLA would have to wait til 2023 as the Avs don't have any seconds earlier than that), though even at fair I'm not sure I'd do it.
      justaBoss liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:06 p.m.
      the counteroffers are both jokes. your initial offer is pretty close imo, might need to add a pick or two for the retention
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:17 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      If either happened, neither the first nor the second deal would shock me -- after all, the professionals know a lot more about this sort of thing than we amateurs. Maybe substitute Girard or Timmins for Byram and take out the retention in the first deal and you would have an acceptable compromise. But that third deal is a joke.

Just my two cents.
      justaBoss liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:21 p.m.
      Hockey Fan13
      Well the problem I see with your trade is the Avs don't need Huberdeau enough to pay that, though I think the value is close to fair. The counter offers seem like low ball offers. If Huberdeau demanded a trade I think the Timmins deal gets it done.
      TJTwolf, Anus_McLeod and OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:21 p.m.
      The first offer is likely closest in value due to the retention, but the reason Avs fans balk at the trade idea is because we don't really need a player like Huberdeau right now. Would it be awesome? No doubt. But with Byram, our top-4 D are locked for the next four years.
      TJTwolf, Anus_McLeod and OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:25 p.m.
      NoWah49
      The first one is fair now, but it's only gonna get worse when Byram progresses. The 2nd one isn't really fair for Florida. The third one still isn't enough from Colorado. Huberdeau is a great player but Florida only would trade him for that first offer and I wouldn't do that if I'm Colorado
      TJTwolf, Xqb15a and OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:29 p.m.
      I'm an Avs fan but didn't comment on the proposal yet. Also, I try to be objective to the extent I can. With that out of the way, here goes:

I think your initial offer is pretty fair from a value standpoint. However, I also think Colorado values Byram a ton and probably aren't willing to include him in any deal. Similarly, I think Florida values Huberdeau highly and aren't ready to deal him at this point. Maybe that changes in a year or two, but I don't think they should be in a rush right now.

Assuming Huberdeau is on the table for whatever reason, Kaut or Bowers + Timmins or Barron or Helleson + Compher or Donskoi + a first would be around what the Avs might, might be willing to give. Look at it this way, Huberdeau means losing Saad in free agency. Is the difference between the two worth all of that? As good as he is I'm not sure it does.
      Xqb15a, TJTwolf, justaBoss and 1 other person liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:43 p.m.
      The majority of avs said they wouldn’t move byram but would Newhook for him, but you over looked it completely
      Xqb15a and TJTwolf liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:56 p.m.
      John 3 16
      Man, you're really making Avs fans look bad by presenting those counter offers as if they were a unanimous offer by the Avs fanbase, when in truth it was one poster who made that offer, and multiple Avs fans including myself said that the counter offer was very weak.
      TJTwolf, justaBoss, VijayPatel11 and 1 other person liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:58 p.m.
      John 3 16
      JustaBoss: "But yeah I'm getting tired of this topic." .... *makes another AGM to talk about the same topic*

tears of joy
      Xqb15a, TJTwolf and justaBoss liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 8:07 p.m.
      I don't think Colorado really needs another top end player. Either get the legit top end goaltender if they're not sure about Grub and Francouz or improve the bottom 6/depth. Thats all. Adding Huberdeau would be amazing but I don't think its really needed. Scoring isn't this teams problem. They didn't lose to Dallas because they couldn't score goals.
      Xqb15a, TJTwolf, coga16 and 2 others liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
      Byram and Girard are instant conversation stoppers. Don’t think for a minute that Sakic sees a top 4 of Makar, Byram, Toews and Girard and gleefully goes take that NHL deal with 4 guys that all can skate, move with the puck, pass, and play defense. What they bring to the back line is completely different than what any other team does, look at what Boughner had to say about them. All that being said Timmins a 1st and 3rd is a very weak counter offer, but the Avs aren’t going to move major assets for another winger it just doesn’t make sense. No matter how many times you try to repost the same thread a different way.
      TJTwolf, Anus_McLeod and Richard88 liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 9:20 p.m.
      The other aspect of this is the expansion draft. The Avs now lost Graves and Byram in most people's assessment. The D has gone from very strong to still strong but nowhere near what it was for a forward who is really a luxury to them.
      Anus_McLeod and Richard88 liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 11:05 p.m.
      What in tarnation
      Quoting: Richard88
      Man, you're really making Avs fans look bad by presenting those counter offers as if they were a unanimous offer by the Avs fanbase, when in truth it was one poster who made that offer, and multiple Avs fans including myself said that the counter offer was very weak.

Wasn't really my intention
      Richard88 and OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 11:06 p.m.
      What in tarnation
      JustaBoss: "But yeah I'm getting tired of this topic." .... *makes another AGM to talk about the same topic*

tears of joy

I GOT CURIOUS AGAIN sorry bud
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 11:07 p.m.
      What in tarnation
      Quoting: Xqb15a
      Byram and Girard are instant conversation stoppers. Don’t think for a minute that Sakic sees a top 4 of Makar, Byram, Toews and Girard and gleefully goes take that NHL deal with 4 guys that all can skate, move with the puck, pass, and play defense. What they bring to the back line is completely different than what any other team does, look at what Boughner had to say about them. All that being said Timmins a 1st and 3rd is a very weak counter offer, but the Avs aren’t going to move major assets for another winger it just doesn’t make sense. No matter how many times you try to repost the same thread a different way.

Your stance is clear as a day.

I'm asking for outside opinions here.

One might learn something here if one broadens the horizons in a sense.
      Jan. 29, 2021 at 12:43 a.m.
      John 3 16
      Quoting: justaBoss
      I GOT CURIOUS AGAIN sorry bud

Lol, i'm just pulling your leg brother. I really enjoy your AGM's and the good conversation generated in the chat. smile
      justaBoss and OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 29, 2021 at 12:49 a.m.
      What in tarnation
      Lol, i'm just pulling your leg brother. I really enjoy your AGM's and the good conversation generated in the chat. smile

Gotta say it has been one of longest discussions I've had here in a long while on this site on literally one topic.
      Richard88 and OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 29, 2021 at 1:07 a.m.
      John 3 16
      Gotta say it has been one of longest discussions I've had here in a long while on this site on literally one topic.

It's gone on long because it's an intersting topic, and neither side is wrong. There are valid reasons to pull a trade like this off, and also valid reasons not to.
      justaBoss and OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:32 a.m.
      Quoting: F50marco
      I don't think Colorado really needs another top end player. Either get the legit top end goaltender if they're not sure about Grub and Francouz or improve the bottom 6/depth. Thats all. Adding Huberdeau would be amazing but I don't think its really needed. Scoring isn't this teams problem. They didn't lose to Dallas because they couldn't score goals.

Es6MZtFXcAUFvtx?format=jpg&name=medium

Looking alright so far. Easy work for Grub mind you, but still decent. Right now, I imagine Joe is trying to find a decent 1B given Francouz's injury troubles.
      Jan. 29, 2021 at 6:43 p.m.
      Your stance is clear as a day.

I'm asking for outside opinions here.

One might learn something here if one broadens the horizons in a sense.

Or one could just try to justify their point by asking the same question a different way. And for the record you don’t know a damn thing about me and how open minded I am, or how my horizons may or may not be opened. Stick to hockey. We have a difference of opinions, but don’t post on a public site asking for feedback and then whine about wanting other opinions.
      Jan. 29, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
      Quoting: Foppa21
      Es6MZtFXcAUFvtx?format=jpg&name=medium

Looking alright so far. Easy work for Grub mind you, but still decent. Right now, I imagine Joe is trying to find a decent 1B given Francouz's injury troubles.

Are you confident hes the guy? If so then yeah, no need.
      Jan. 29, 2021 at 9:51 p.m.
      Quoting: F50marco
      Are you confident hes the guy? If so then yeah, no need.

He's definitely looked the part this year. Avs fans are just nervous about his injury last year paired with Francouz being on IR already.
      Jan. 29, 2021 at 11:13 p.m.
      What in tarnation
      Quoting: Xqb15a
      Or one could just try to justify their point by asking the same question a different way. And for the record you don’t know a damn thing about me and how open minded I am, or how my horizons may or may not be opened. Stick to hockey. We have a difference of opinions, but don’t post on a public site asking for feedback and then whine about wanting other opinions.

I wasn't talking about you in a personal sense. Only thing about you clear to me is that you didn't like the exchange. And that's fine.

Since I'm disagreeing with you on this matter, and as a fan of neither team (COL and FLA), I wanted to hear the respective opinions of people who come from the same place as I do. Unbiased opinion. Imo that's the strongest one to base the facts on. I want to learn, get other people's idea on the matter.

If this is "whining about wrong kind of opinions for you" I suggest you leave the forum, because that's not the way to have a fruitful discussion.
      Jan. 30, 2021 at 10:27 a.m.
      I wasn't talking about you in a personal sense. Only thing about you clear to me is that you didn't like the exchange. And that's fine.

Since I'm disagreeing with you on this matter, and as a fan of neither team (COL and FLA), I wanted to hear the respective opinions of people who come from the same place as I do. Unbiased opinion. Imo that's the strongest one to base the facts on. I want to learn, get other people's idea on the matter.

If this is "whining about wrong kind of opinions for you" I suggest you leave the forum, because that's not the way to have a fruitful discussion.

One of the things a long time ago I had to learn professionally was how to analyze the cost benefit analysis of a situation. Byram is a Norris caliber minute eating 2 way defenseman under team control for 7 years on a team that 1) is already one of the best teams in the league 2) is one of the highest scoring teams in the league 3) is going to to be handing out massive contracts in the near future and will need cap flexibility 4) won’t be drafting anywhere near the top 10 in the next 5-10 years vs going all in on 1) a top end winger who hasn’t demonstrably shown even with a top C of being able to elevate his team to a playoff team 2) is gone in 2 yrs because no way are you going to be able to resign him.

You are basing your hypothesis on the Avs HAVING to go all in during MacKinnon’s current contract. Does their window suddenly close when he signs an extension no. But it is severely hampers them when he does if they remove one of the key young pieces and a 1st rd pick to replenish the cupboard when they do have to say good by to pieces like Toews, Nichushkin and probably Burakovsky during his next contract.

I’ll grant you Huberdeau makes them a better team today, but I wouldn’t even grant you he makes them a better team by the end of the season with what Byram has already shown.
      justaBoss liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll