Forums/Armchair-GM

well deserved

Created by: Isles777
Team: 2020-21 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 28, 2021
Published: Jan. 28, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I honestly hope the islanders continue to lose until Trotz stops playing useless grinders in in the middle 6. Komarov cost them the game on Tuesday and he got a promotion....Nelson's line has been terrible as it is - he needs to shake things up and put a play driver on each line.

On the bright side, wahlstrom/bellows/dobson all had great games.
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$78,757,500$0$3,287,500$2,742,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$2,500,000$2,500,000 ($1,425,000$1M$1,425,000$1M)
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000 ($1,925,000$2M$1,925,000$2M)
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$786,666$786,666 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 28, 2021 at 9:48 p.m.
CHI NYI
That has to be the most dejecting period of hockey I've ever watched.

Even worse than the last 3 goal lead we blew to Washington
Jan. 28, 2021 at 9:50 p.m.
I feel this team is really missing heart. Nobody went in after Cizikas fell. They definitely need to do something.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 9:52 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
That has to be the most dejecting period of hockey I've ever watched.

Even worse than the last 3 goal lead we blew to Washington

for sure. Martin and clutter have been awful , komarov is trash. It's funny how everyone under 25 was carrying the team tonight,. Wahlstrom and bellows finished top 3 xGF% and had the best defensive metrics behind cizikas.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 9:52 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: TheOzzieMan
I feel this team is really missing heart. Nobody went in after Cizikas fell. They definitely need to do something.

Martin, clutter, Komarov, and Bailey have become complacent. Scratch all of them and player younger/hungrier players
TheOzzieMan liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 9:56 p.m.
Quoting: Isles777
Martin, clutter, Komarov, and Bailey have become complacent. Scratch all of them and player younger/hungrier players

Maybe they have to do that. This felt very flat I love that Barzal complained about the horrible refs.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 9:59 p.m.
Isles7
Maybe they have to do that. This felt very flat I love that Barzal complained about the horrible refs.

its embarrassing that trotz felt the need to dress a million 4th liners, again. So many better options that Leo Komarov, like cmon lol. MDC is pretty good despite the hatred for him not living up to his draft position, czarnik, timashov, koivula...they really missed beau's speed the last few games.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 10:17 p.m.
its embarrassing that trotz felt the need to dress a million 4th liners, again. So many better options that Leo Komarov, like cmon lol. MDC is pretty good despite the hatred for him not living up to his draft position, czarnik, timashov, koivula...they really missed beau's speed the last few games.

In my eyes they had 4 4th liners they should take out Leo and put in any of the guys mentioned.
Isles777 liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 10:38 p.m.
Isles7
In my eyes they had 4 4th liners they should take out Leo and put in any of the guys mentioned.

Nelson and Bailey have been struggling as of late - how is putting Leo Komarov on that line gonna get them going lol its bizarre.
Islesforthecup and TheOzzieMan liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 10:52 p.m.
Watch. Just watch Trotz throw Bellows and Wahlstrom on Taxi Squad after this loss even though they were our ONE good offensive line tonight.
Isles777, Islesforthecup and gos liked this.
Jan. 28, 2021 at 10:54 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Hawkisles
Watch. Just watch Trotz throw Bellows and Wahlstrom on Taxi Squad after this loss even though they were our ONE good offensive line tonight.

Your eye test checks out - look who were our two best wingers tonight lol... top to bottom is best to worst.

Jan. 29, 2021 at 2:25 a.m.
Look at the bright side we had bellows, jg, wahlstrom in january. Now the dark side trotz has fulfilled his requirement to put them together and wont do it again this year lol.
Isles777 liked this.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 3:10 a.m.
Why do y’all hate trotz so much we’ve won more playoff series in the last two year than we did the last quarter century yet you guys act like he’s the hockey equivalent of rich kotite
TheOzzieMan liked this.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 4:38 a.m.
You owe us picks
You guys are giving way too much credit to the kids. Wahlstroms goal was a fluke if it didn't hit the Cap defender in front of the net it was going in to the corner because it miles off target. While Bellows and Wahlstrom didn't play badly they weren't carrying the team like some of you think they did. Komorov didn't cost the Islanders game Tuesday the refs did Eller saw him coming and turned his back on the hit while its arguably still boarding it's NOT a 5 minute major. It was no different than Oshies boarding against Pelech which only got him a minor. The refs were horrible these past 2 games they were calling the stupidest penalties of the Islanders while letting the Caps do whatever they wanted.

I'm not going to submit some rant about the 2nd period breakdown because it wasn't just one player it was all of them. They failed it as a team nobody could pick up their man, they were whiffing on clearing the zones their passing was attrocius they may as well of just walked the puck back to Washington and said here try again and Varley let in a couple weak ones. They played better in the 3rd but too little too late.

Bailey has been the best player on that second line why people are calling him complacent is baffling. Nelson can't buy a goal which is whats hurting that line and Beau wasn't scoring either. The same as Clutter are we not watching the same games? He's hitting everybody in sight which is his job not to score 20 goals like you all want. Martins been lackluster and Cizikas even though he scored a goal tonight has been his usally feisty self. I think he's afraid. He was injured a lot last season and just coming off surgery so I think mentally. He's holding back.

As far as Trotz is concerned I'll trust the judgement of the guy who's made us a winning franchise again. I know that bothers a few of you but I actually like winning.

1 rookie in the line up, ok no problem.
2 rookies in the line up, although not ideal it's doable.
3 rookies in the line up, you're no longer a cup contender
4 rookies in the line up, sell the veterans off because it's a full blown rebuild and we're in for a long 4 to 5 years. <----- which is what you all want.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:33 a.m.
NYI
Yup, that was pretty awful. Wahlstrom and Bellows looked nice. Bellows needs to start generating production though. Dobson looks like he could be our top-pairing RHD by the end of the season. He's looked phenomenal. The first line has looked good. The fourth line, to me, is done.

But most importantly, I don't really understand the urge to play Johnston. He's useless except in games vs. heavyweights. And if you're going to play Komarov, DO NOT PLAY HIM ON THE SECOND LINE. I love Barry but those are head-scratchers. I'm done with MDC, but he's at least a hockey player. I'd much rather him be out there with Nelson and Bailey while Beau is out than freaking Komarov.

That was a terrible game last night, probably the worst since the last big lead we gave up to Washington (which IMO was equally disheartening).
Isles777 and TheOzzieMan liked this.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
NYI
Quoting: Rokk
You guys are giving way too much credit to the kids. Wahlstroms goal was a fluke if it didn't hit the Cap defender in front of the net it was going in to the corner because it miles off target. While Bellows and Wahlstrom didn't play badly they weren't carrying the team like some of you think they did. Komorov didn't cost the Islanders game Tuesday the refs did Eller saw him coming and turned his back on the hit while its arguably still boarding it's NOT a 5 minute major. It was no different than Oshies boarding against Pelech which only got him a minor. The refs were horrible these past 2 games they were calling the stupidest penalties of the Islanders while letting the Caps do whatever they wanted.

I'm not going to submit some rant about the 2nd period breakdown because it wasn't just one player it was all of them. They failed it as a team nobody could pick up their man, they were whiffing on clearing the zones their passing was attrocius they may as well of just walked the puck back to Washington and said here try again and Varley let in a couple weak ones. They played better in the 3rd but too little too late.

Bailey has been the best player on that second line why people are calling him complacent is baffling. Nelson can't buy a goal which is whats hurting that line and Beau wasn't scoring either. The same as Clutter are we not watching the same games? He's hitting everybody in sight which is his job not to score 20 goals like you all want. Martins been lackluster and Cizikas even though he scored a goal tonight has been his usally feisty self. I think he's afraid. He was injured a lot last season and just coming off surgery so I think mentally. He's holding back.

As far as Trotz is concerned I'll trust the judgement of the guy who's made us a winning franchise again. I know that bothers a few of you but I actually like winning.

4 rookies in the line up, sell the veterans off because it's a full blown rebuild and we're in for a long 4 to 5 years. <----- which is what you all want.

I agree with a lot of this except for the rookie thing at the bottom. Plenty of teams have an injection of youth in their bottom-6 and it does sometimes work out, as long as it's sprinkled with veterans. Problem is we don't develop anyone past the third round anymore, so we don't have guys to call up aside from guys with high expectations like Wahlstrom and Bellows.
Isles777 liked this.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:36 a.m.
Isles7
Quoting: slapshot723
Yup, that was pretty awful. Wahlstrom and Bellows looked nice. Bellows needs to start generating production though. Dobson looks like he could be our top-pairing RHD by the end of the season. He's looked phenomenal. The first line has looked good. The fourth line, to me, is done.

But most importantly, I don't really understand the urge to play Johnston. He's useless except in games vs. heavyweights. And if you're going to play Komarov, DO NOT PLAY HIM ON THE SECOND LINE. I love Barry but those are head-scratchers. I'm done with MDC, but he's at least a hockey player. I'd much rather him be out there with Nelson and Bailey while Beau is out than freaking Komarov.

That was a terrible game last night, probably the worst since the last big lead we gave up to Washington (which IMO was equally disheartening).

The thing with bellows is he is what he is - not the best skater but he’s able to play off of talented playmaking linemates and score goals. Pageau isn’t a playmaker and Nelson/bailey haven’t been effective. I think bellows is finding other ways to contribute and I like what I see.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:43 a.m.
Isles7

Wahlstrom and bellows were solid defensively and one of the only forwards that were generating offense/driving play.

That was komarov’s 10th 3rd period penalty in 131 games. Maybe he just learn to be more disciplined. Schultz was his guy and he was soft on the back check, so he did cost us the game. Trotz putting komarov on the 2nd line last night was insulting to the rest of the isles and fans - it’s pretty much saying you don’t care about winning.

Nelson has been awful but bailey has been just as bad. Failing to get the puck out of the zone, soft on the forecheck, slow decision making. I don’t care if clutter scores goals, he hasn’t been effective on the forecheck and his play in the defensive zone is weak. That’s my problem with him - and Martin looks cooked , my god what an awful contract.

There’s a reason why Trotz has only made it past the 2nd rd twice in his career. He’s a solid coach but his reliance on old grinders holds his teams back.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:44 a.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Yesyesyes2020
Why do y’all hate trotz so much we’ve won more playoff series in the last two year than we did the last quarter century yet you guys act like he’s the hockey equivalent of rich kotite

Because he’s stubborn and refuses to hold vets like komarov accountable
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
Isles7
I agree with a lot of this except for the rookie thing at the bottom. Plenty of teams have an injection of youth in their bottom-6 and it does sometimes work out, as long as it's sprinkled with veterans. Problem is we don't develop anyone past the third round anymore, so we don't have guys to call up aside from guys with high expectations like Wahlstrom and Bellows.

The flyers had 3 rookies in the lineup last season (aube kubel, myers, and farabee) + a 21 year old carter hart in his first year as a starter. The flyers had a solid veteran group (couturier, giroux, hayes) and they were a great team.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 11:06 a.m.
NYI
The thing with bellows is he is what he is - not the best skater but he’s able to play off of talented playmaking linemates and score goals. Pageau isn’t a playmaker and Nelson/bailey haven’t been effective. I think bellows is finding other ways to contribute and I like what I see.

I agree, I'd just like to see him pot one in. I think a Bellows-Pageau-Bailey line would be very good. The second line can be Beau-Nelson-Wahlstrom (although that's a lot of goal scorers and no playmakers).
Jan. 29, 2021 at 11:10 a.m.
Isles7
I agree, I'd just like to see him pot one in. I think a Bellows-Pageau-Bailey line would be very good. The second line can be Beau-Nelson-Wahlstrom (although that's a lot of goal scorers and no playmakers).

I agree, Bailey should be playing with pageau. Beau, nelson, and wahlstrom are all well rounded. Unlike bellows, wahlstrom is a pretty good playmaker. Nelson and beau are goal scorers, but they have good vision and can take the role of a passer. Beau-Nelson-Wahlstrom would be our most dynamic line IMO.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 3:10 p.m.
You owe us picks

Maybe so, but it's extremely rare you see a team carry 4 rookies in to the playoffs, a large majority of them end up trading for veterans at the deadline. I'm not saying don't play the kids all I'm saying is take it slow look at Dobsons transition he's looking better every game but he still makes very noticeable rookie mistakes at times. Although lately I can't fully blame the rookies the vets are playing like they don't even want to be there.

Wahlstrom and bellows were solid defensively and one of the only forwards that were generating offense/driving play.

That was komarov’s 10th 3rd period penalty in 131 games. Maybe he just learn to be more disciplined. Schultz was his guy and he was soft on the back check, so he did cost us the game. Trotz putting komarov on the 2nd line last night was insulting to the rest of the isles and fans - it’s pretty much saying you don’t care about winning.

Nelson has been awful but bailey has been just as bad. Failing to get the puck out of the zone, soft on the forecheck, slow decision making. I don’t care if clutter scores goals, he hasn’t been effective on the forecheck and his play in the defensive zone is weak. That’s my problem with him - and Martin looks cooked , my god what an awful contract.

There’s a reason why Trotz has only made it past the 2nd rd twice in his career. He’s a solid coach but his reliance on old grinders holds his teams back.

I never said the kids were playing badly I said you're giving them way too much credit. They've been far from perfect Bellows hasn't scored and Wahlstrom got a fluke although it was just his first game so he gets a pass. Sorokin scares me when he's in net He just doesn't look ready for the North American game to me. The only one that's impressed me is Dobson he looks more comfortable every game he plays, aside from the second game against the Rangers.

Trotz started Komorov on the second line but I knew he wouldn't finish the game there, Bellows did. Even Pageau got a few shifts on the left side

Yes Nelson needs to step it up, but you can't fault Bailey he's the playmaker on that line always has been and he's made some pretty passes that Nelson or Beau couldn't put in the back of the net. If you're expecting Bailey to score a lot of goals you'll be waiting a real long time. And as I said before as far as the 4th line goes Clutters been the only one doing his job. Martin and Cizikas need to nut up and get back to the way they used to play. The best 4th line in hockey has become one of the biggest jokes in hockey at the moment.

The flyers had 3 rookies in the lineup last season (aube kubel, myers, and farabee) + a 21 year old carter hart in his first year as a starter. The flyers had a solid veteran group (couturier, giroux, hayes) and they were a great team.

Did they win the cup? They also have a lot more talent throughout their line up. We've got.....uh....Barzal. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of guys I like on this team but they were horrible before Trotz's system came in to play. And Barzal is our one true star player.
Yesyesyes2020 liked this.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 3:19 p.m.
Because he’s stubborn and refuses to hold vets like komarov accountable
I mean I wouldn’t play komorov at this point either but if you’re looking for a flawless coach I’m afraid you’re gonna be incredibly disappointed every coach has their weaknesses and blind spots. You’ve gone as far as wanting him fired if we did do such a thing who would you bring in and why would you expect them to be better and have the success Trotz has had. He’s the best coach since al arbour.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 3:35 p.m.
Isles7
Maybe so, but it's extremely rare you see a team carry 4 rookies in to the playoffs, a large majority of them end up trading for veterans at the deadline. I'm not saying don't play the kids all I'm saying is take it slow look at Dobsons transition he's looking better every game but he still makes very noticeable rookie mistakes at times. Although lately I can't fully blame the rookies the vets are playing like they don't even want to be there.

Hockey is a game of mistakes so I don't mind when players with upside make a mistake here and there - over the last two years its the vets that have made the biggest mistakes that have the cost the team games and some of them (Leo, boychuk) didn't do much to contribute to winning hockey games at all. They were liabilities.

I never said the kids were playing badly I said you're giving them way too much credit. They've been far from perfect Bellows hasn't scored and Wahlstrom got a fluke although it was just his first game so he gets a pass. Sorokin scares me when he's in net He just doesn't look ready for the North American game to me. The only one that's impressed me is Dobson he looks more comfortable every game he plays, aside from the second game against the Rangers.

Trotz started Komorov on the second line but I knew he wouldn't finish the game there, Bellows did. Even Pageau got a few shifts on the left side

Yes Nelson needs to step it up, but you can't fault Bailey he's the playmaker on that line always has been and he's made some pretty passes that Nelson or Beau couldn't put in the back of the net. If you're expecting Bailey to score a lot of goals you'll be waiting a real long time. And as I said before as far as the 4th line goes Clutters been the only one doing his job. Martin and Cizikas need to nut up and get back to the way they used to play. The best 4th line in hockey has become one of the biggest jokes in hockey at the moment.

I'm giving them a lot of credit because theyre doing the little things that contribute to scoring and preventing goals. Being decisive, making crisp passes, skating the puck out of the DZone with possession. They're also trying to not make mistakes because they sure as hell won't get the benefit of the doubt like Leo Komarov. Bellows has been put into a grinders role for the most part and he's adapted and played very well given the circumstances. Scott Wheeler , a scout from the athletic wrote about bellows a few weeks ago and noted that he doubts bellows will be successful playing on the 3rd line with plug and play guys - he stated that bellows needs to be the 3rd best player on a top 6 line with a playmaker. Also needs consistent powerplay time. Thats how he'll provide value.

Bailey can't just be the playmaker and that's it. First of all, he's so inconsistent and his passing hasn't been as accurate. I don't know if it's rust or he's just not putting in the effort. Also he's been soft in the defensive zone and when Bailey on the ice the isles give up a ton of high danger chances against.

Did they win the cup? They also have a lot more talent throughout their line up. We've got.....uh....Barzal. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of guys I like on this team but they were horrible before Trotz's system came in to play. And Barzal is our one true star player.

There's a lot more upside in playing bellows and wahlstrom than Leo komorav and Ross Johnston. The fact that the team lacks star power is even more of a reason to play kids with upside to increase the teams ceiling.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 3:39 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Yesyesyes2020
I mean I wouldn’t play komorov at this point either but if you’re looking for a flawless coach I’m afraid you’re gonna be incredibly disappointed every coach has their weaknesses and blind spots. You’ve gone as far as wanting him fired if we did do such a thing who would you bring in and why would you expect them to be better and have the success Trotz has had. He’s the best coach since al arbour.

Trotz is not a good coach but he's always had friction with talented young forwards and usually chooses useless vets over them. One of the reasons trotz wasn't re-signed in WSH was because the owners didn't like that he wouldn't use their young players. No doubt trotz is a great systems coach, great motivator ....but at this point some of the guys he chooses to play are holding the team back. He always talks about accountability and then be plays komarov on the 2nd line. It's embarassing.

Trotz isn't getting fired but my choice would be Gerrard gallant.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll