Forums/Armchair-GM

well deserved

Created by: Isles777
Team: 2020-21 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 28, 2021
Published: Jan. 28, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I honestly hope the islanders continue to lose until Trotz stops playing useless grinders in in the middle 6. Komarov cost them the game on Tuesday and he got a promotion....Nelson's line has been terrible as it is - he needs to shake things up and put a play driver on each line.

On the bright side, wahlstrom/bellows/dobson all had great games.
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$78,757,500$0$3,287,500$2,742,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$2,500,000$2,500,000 ($1,425,000$1M$1,425,000$1M)
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000 ($1,925,000$2M$1,925,000$2M)
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$786,666$786,666 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 29, 2021 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: Isles777
Your eye test checks out - look who were our two best wingers tonight lol... top to bottom is best to worst.

Just one night, but holy crap, the younger players almost uniformly played better
Jan. 29, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Hawkisles
Just one night, but holy crap, the younger players almost uniformly played better

Wahlstrom and bellows were also the only wingers to not be on for a goal against. I know it’s just one game, but the notion that old veteran grinders are more reliable are not true. I’d rather play the young guys who *might* be bad than old vets who are already terrible.
Hawkisles liked this.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
You owe us picks
There's a lot more upside in playing bellows and wahlstrom than Leo komorav and Ross Johnston. The fact that the team lacks star power is even more of a reason to play kids with upside to increase the teams ceiling.

I honestly can't disagree with that. The kids need to grow and the only way for them to do that is to play, but don't throw all the rookies to the wolves at the same time unless you're ready for a rebuild. Honestly I think if the Isles miss the playoffs this season, maybe they should consider it. They've got a pretty descent young core ready to go led by Barzal.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 7:13 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Rokk
I honestly can't disagree with that. The kids need to grow and the only way for them to do that is to play, but don't throw all the rookies to the wolves at the same time unless you're ready for a rebuild. Honestly I think if the Isles miss the playoffs this season, maybe they should consider it. They've got a pretty descent young core ready to go led by Barzal.

yeah I see your point. I guess I don't see dobson a rookie and this Is a veteran group as it is, so I don't see putting bellows + Wahlstrom in the top 6 as throwing them to the wolves. Its actually a harder role when theyre put into a situation where they have to completely change their game with less talented line mates.
Rokk liked this.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:40 p.m.
Trotz is not a good coach but he's always had friction with talented young forwards and usually chooses useless vets over them. One of the reasons trotz wasn't re-signed in WSH was because the owners didn't like that he wouldn't use their young players. No doubt trotz is a great systems coach, great motivator ....but at this point some of the guys he chooses to play are holding the team back. He always talks about accountability and then be plays komarov on the 2nd line. It's embarassing.

Trotz isn't getting fired but my choice would be Gerrard gallant.

Trotz coached Nashville for 15 years and made an expansion team a contender, Trotz brought Washington their first cup and then left because they wouldn’t pay him. With how things have gone since, their fan base and their organization would like to have that one back. You said it yourself he’s a good systems coach that is what’s most important. That’s why this team is having its greatest success since the dynasty. Just because he won’t give a couple of okay prospects top line minutes right away doesn’t make him a bad coach. He’s got to ease them into it they’ve only played 7 games this year and he’s already changed the lineup multiple times. Also why would you want gallant he burns bridges everywhere he goes no one even hired him this last cycle. I’d prefer the guy that won a Jack Adam’s has won a cup and is highly respected by his players and around the league. He’s had this team playing well above their talent level for 2 years.
Jan. 29, 2021 at 10:53 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Yesyesyes2020
Trotz coached Nashville for 15 years and made an expansion team a contender, Trotz brought Washington their first cup and then left because they wouldn’t pay him. With how things have gone since, their fan base and their organization would like to have that one back. You said it yourself he’s a good systems coach that is what’s most important. That’s why this team is having its greatest success since the dynasty. Just because he won’t give a couple of okay prospects top line minutes right away doesn’t make him a bad coach. He’s got to ease them into it they’ve only played 7 games this year and he’s already changed the lineup multiple times. Also why would you want gallant he burns bridges everywhere he goes no one even hired him this last cycle. I’d prefer the guy that won a Jack Adam’s has won a cup and is highly respected by his players and around the league. He’s had this team playing well above their talent level for 2 years.

They didn't want to him back - he was gone regardless. Like I said, trotz didn't care to utilize their young players and its one of the reasons he was let go. It should be players over system, not system over players. You have to be willing to adapt and make changes. If Trotz doesn't want to put wahlstrom and bellows in the top 6 right away , that's fine- but they deserve to get consistent playing time and get more than 8-9 min of ice time. They're seen as "okay prospects" because of the way the isles develop forwards. Telling them not to focus on points, only to focus on defensive play. Wahlstrom has an elite skill set, he should be put in a position to succeed.

That's just my preference, I don't think trotz is a bad coach but in todays game you need to be able to develop/trust young players and if he doesn't do that the result will be that well be good enough to be in the playoff race but not bad enough to get a high draft pick. In the middle, the worst place to be.

The main reason we've been successful the last few years is because we had two top 30 Dman, Ryan Pulock and Devon Toews, along with a superstar in mat barzal. Trotz deserves credit and so does Mitch Korn, but lets chill with giving trotz all the credit.
Jan. 31, 2021 at 9:34 p.m.
They didn't want to him back - he was gone regardless. Like I said, trotz didn't care to utilize their young players and its one of the reasons he was let go. It should be players over system, not system over players. You have to be willing to adapt and make changes. If Trotz doesn't want to put wahlstrom and bellows in the top 6 right away , that's fine- but they deserve to get consistent playing time and get more than 8-9 min of ice time. They're seen as "okay prospects" because of the way the isles develop forwards. Telling them not to focus on points, only to focus on defensive play. Wahlstrom has an elite skill set, he should be put in a position to succeed.

That's just my preference, I don't think trotz is a bad coach but in todays game you need to be able to develop/trust young players and if he doesn't do that the result will be that well be good enough to be in the playoff race but not bad enough to get a high draft pick. In the middle, the worst place to be.

The main reason we've been successful the last few years is because we had two top 30 Dman, Ryan Pulock and Devon Toews, along with a superstar in mat barzal. Trotz deserves credit and so does Mitch Korn, but lets chill with giving trotz all the credit.

Of course players are more important than the system but when the system works for the overwhelming majority of the team you don’t change that up for a couple of average prospects.
Jan. 31, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
Isles7
Of course players are more important than the system but when the system works for the overwhelming majority of the team you don’t change that up for a couple of average prospects.

these "ok prospects" provided more value in this system than most of the vets. Not prioritizing youth is why this team will enter a decade of mediocrity.
Jan. 31, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
these "ok prospects" provided more value in this system than most of the vets. Not prioritizing youth is why this team will enter a decade of mediocrity.

Over a small sample size they haven’t played 10 games yet and a lot of guys that normally contribute are playing terrible right now which is having more of an impact on this team right now than whether or not wahlstrom and bellows play
Jan. 31, 2021 at 10:38 p.m.
Isles7
Over a small sample size they haven’t played 10 games yet and a lot of guys that normally contribute are playing terrible right now which is having more of an impact on this team right now than whether or not wahlstrom and bellows play

most competent organizations reward accomplishment with advancement. Bellows and wahlstrom were our best players, so you reward them with increased ice time, you don't scratch them.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 1:15 p.m.
most competent organizations reward accomplishment with advancement. Bellows and wahlstrom were our best players, so you reward them with increased ice time, you don't scratch them.

Yes but you have to show that over a period of more than a few games the guys that play everyday have shown that over the past couple years. (And komorov is not an everyday player this year)
Feb. 1, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
Isles7
Yes but you have to show that over a period of more than a few games the guys that play everyday have shown that over the past couple years. (And komorov is not an everyday player this year)

exactly my point. They earned more ice time, let them prove it. Scratching them sends a bad message , wahlstrom and bellows have outplayed most of the vets.
Feb. 7, 2021 at 1:31 p.m.
exactly my point. They earned more ice time, let them prove it. Scratching them sends a bad message , wahlstrom and bellows have outplayed most of the vets.

He changes the lineup every night they are only 10 games in he’s trying to see what works. Contending teams tend to play the guys they are more familiar with because there is a risk to putting younger guys who aren’t familiar with the nhl in the lineup and giving them big minutes. Like I said he is easing the young guys into it it’s not good for their development to give them large roles so quickly when they have limited experience. They have to learn the system first and you are not changing the entire system which has for the last 2 years enabled this team to play above their talent level for one or two guys. Giving these guys too big a role too fast could hurt their development. I trust Barry Trotz and Lou lamoriello because they have a proven track record of winning everywhere they go and because of them we are having our most successful run since the dynasty.
Feb. 7, 2021 at 1:37 p.m.
Isles7
He changes the lineup every night they are only 10 games in he’s trying to see what works. Contending teams tend to play the guys they are more familiar with because there is a risk to putting younger guys who aren’t familiar with the nhl in the lineup and giving them big minutes. Like I said he is easing the young guys into it it’s not good for their development to give them large roles so quickly when they have limited experience. They have to learn the system first and you are not changing the entire system which has for the last 2 years enabled this team to play above their talent level for one or two guys. Giving these guys too big a role too fast could hurt their development. I trust Barry Trotz and Lou lamoriello because they have a proven track record of winning everywhere they go and because of them we are having our most successful run since the dynasty.

The younger guys have outplayed the vets and have shown they can play within the system better than the guys who have been here for a while. So that argument doesn’t hold any weight. What’s hurting our forward prospects development is putting them on a line with Ross johnston and Leo komarov.

Lou and trotz are not known for being competent at player development
Feb. 7, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
The younger guys have outplayed the vets and have shown they can play within the system better than the guys who have been here for a while. So that argument doesn’t hold any weight. What’s hurting our forward prospects development is putting them on a line with Ross johnston and Leo komarov.

Lou and trotz are not known for being competent at player development

You are using a small sample size in limited minutes they haven’t gotten top line minutes yet so of course their stats are gonna look better they haven’t had to do much. And Lou doesn’t know how to develop talent? Three Stanley cups with players he developed shows that he does. The fact of the matter is you and I are not at practice so we don’t see these guys play and how they develop Barry Trotz does and he’s successful everywhere he goes. The fact of the matter is the team isn’t struggling because of the bottom line players they are struggling because outside of barzal and eberle no one in the top six was really producing where’s Nelson where’s Bailey to think replacing bottom six guys with guys a couple of average rookies is gonna rapidly change things is highly optimistic. And btw he’s playing them more as they gain his trust.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll