Forums/Armchair-GM

Pens trade Leafs

Created by: LetsGoPens69
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 1, 2021
Published: Feb. 1, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Pens need D help; Leafs need Center help.

Both Blueger and Dermott will probably be drafted by Seattle in expansion draft. I doubt either will be protected by their current team.

Since Blueger is off to a better start and a better track record, in my opinion, Leafs add a draft pick or prospect.

It sucks E-Rod is out long term. B/C with E-Rod, Jankowski, Lafferty all playing well at Center. They could make up for the loss of Blueger. With E-Rod out long-term, the Pens just might have to trade that 2nd round pick to help the defense.

And please no Sam Bennet!! He hasn’t shown he’s anything better than a bottom 6 Center; and I think we got the better Calgary Center in Jankowski for nothing; atleast he plays good D and is good a PK. S.Bennett is a bust!! No need for a 3rd line Center anymore with Blueger and Janko playing well!!
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$78,444,300$0$1,912,500$3,055,700
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,940,000$2,940,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 2
C, LW
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 1, 2021 at 4:49 a.m.
I like Dermott, but not for Blueger. Teddy really becoming what he was suppose to become. Jankowski sucks. ERod is awful. Lafferty is the only good player of those 3 and he never plays.
LetsGoPens69 and mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 5:00 a.m.
Edited Feb. 1, 2021 at 5:06 a.m.
Quoting: Guentzelvania
I like Dermott, but not for Blueger. Teddy really becoming what he was suppose to become. Jankowski sucks. ERod is awful. Lafferty is the only good player of those 3 and he never plays.

Fair enough..I disagree though.

I think Janko has played well. Yes Blueger has been better and is outstanding defensively; but go over the numbers, he won’t be protected in the expansion draft. He will most likely get taken.

I’m a fan of Blueger, believe me!!

I just think Jankowski, E-Rod and Lafferty have proven they can handle the 3C and 4C.

And I disagree about E-Rod too. I think he’s played well!! And hasn’t gotten a chance in the NHL at all. He was a stud in college with Eichel. I’m not saying he a top 6, but I think he can be a good bottom 6 forward on a play-off team.

I like the 3rd line of McCann/Jankowski/Tanev. It has been great.

And a 4th line of ZAR/Lafferty/E-Rod(when ZAR and E-Rod are healthy) would also be good. And Sceviour and O’Connor getting some games and playing time on the 4th line too. We defiantly need the right-handed sticks from Lafferty and E-Rod for Face-Offs!!
Feb. 1, 2021 at 6:14 a.m.
Wait why do the leafs need C help lol?
Feb. 1, 2021 at 6:26 a.m.
Quoting: Oodz

Kerfoot is a better wing. And Thornton is out. I think the Leafs need a 3C and 4C help pretty bad. And Blueger would be a huge upgrade on either line in Toronto.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 6:45 a.m.
Banned
Leafs don't need center help
Feb. 1, 2021 at 6:59 a.m.
Am I the only one who thinks McCann serves no purpose on the third line as presently constructed.

McCann Lafferty OConner (actual scoring line)
Tanev Bleuger Jankowski/Sceviour Shutdown 4th line
Ryminister_27 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 7:42 a.m.
Leafs do not need c help...
Feb. 1, 2021 at 7:43 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: LetsGoPens69
Kerfoot is a better wing. And Thornton is out. I think the Leafs need a 3C and 4C help pretty bad. And Blueger would be a huge upgrade on either line in Toronto.

Is there any evidence to suggest that Kerfoot is better as a winger?

Let's go with what you're saying is true, Leafs won't give up a young d-man and one of their better goalie prospects for a 3C, likely 4C on this team.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 8:05 a.m.
Banned

Kerfoot has been good at centre and Spezza has the best faceoff percentage in the league and 5 points in 9 games. They don't need centre help. Thorton hasn't played centre this year. Dermott is likely going to play a lot and if we get any injuries, having him as a callup is vital.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 8:44 a.m.
Quoting: Guentzelvania

Yup! Exactly. Bluegar has been great this year. Moving him would absolutely destroy our centre depth.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 8:53 a.m.
We don't need center help but I would be interested in Blueger
Feb. 1, 2021 at 9:19 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Oodz

Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Leafs don't need center help

Quoting: BCAPP
Leafs do not need c help...

Quoting: leafs101
We don't need center help but I would be interested in Blueger

Leafs do need centre help. It's their biggest organizational need. After Matthews, Tavares, and Kerfoot, they have no NHL calibre players at centre. The team lacks depth at the position. You've seen it already, Matthews got hurt and then they're centre's were Tavares, Kerfoot, Engvall, and Spezza. That's not something that will get the job done very often. Centres are needed.

That being said, Bleuger is a decent add but I don't think it's for Dermott. If Dermott is going to Pittsburgh, McCann is likely coming the other way. Dermott has top 4 potential and Bleuger will always be a bottom 6 guy. The value isn't there. McCann will likely be a middle 6 guy which is a lot closer to a better valued deal
Feb. 1, 2021 at 9:26 a.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27
Leafs do need centre help. It's their biggest organizational need. After Matthews, Tavares, and Kerfoot, they have no NHL calibre players at centre. The team lacks depth at the position. You've seen it already, Matthews got hurt and then they're centre's were Tavares, Kerfoot, Engvall, and Spezza. That's not something that will get the job done very often. Centres are needed.

That being said, Bleuger is a decent add but I don't think it's for Dermott. If Dermott is going to Pittsburgh, McCann is likely coming the other way. Dermott has top 4 potential and Bleuger will always be a bottom 6 guy. The value isn't there. McCann will likely be a middle 6 guy which is a lot closer to a better valued deal

by that logic every team is in need of a center. Leafs have countless options. But of course I would always be opening to adding more to the most important position. But we do have Matthews, Tavares, Kerfoot, Engvall, Spezza, Boyd, Jumbo and even Nylander that can play center if needed. How many teams really have it much better than that?
Feb. 1, 2021 at 9:40 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: leafs101
by that logic every team is in need of a center. Leafs have countless options. But of course I would always be opening to adding more to the most important position. But we do have Matthews, Tavares, Kerfoot, Engvall, Spezza, Boyd, Jumbo and even Nylander that can play center if needed. How many teams really have it much better than that?

Thornton and Spezza are too slow. Both play the wing more than centre now. Boyd is a AHL player. Engvall is at best a 4th line centre, he's better on the wing if you wanna move him up. & Nylander? Comeon. He's played 2 games at centre in like that last 2 seasons, both were the final games of the season. & when Matthews got hurt they didn't even move him to centre. That ship has sailed. He's a winger.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 11:09 a.m.
Edited Feb. 1, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.

No way McCann is equal value to Dermott..McCann is a potential 20 goal scorer. Back to back 35 point seasons(Kerfoot had 28 points last year for comparison). With more potential there. And still only 24 years old. Dermott is a scratch, can’t break into the line-up full time. There is a reason. Blueger had Selke votes last year and is off to a great start this year. And will have Selke votes again this year. One of the best defensive Centers in the game. And great on PK.

Wolf or Scott would be a throw-in. They are not prospects. Depth NHL/AHL goalie. Sorry. They arnt highly regarded prospects. Or prospects at all.

And Blueger is better than Bennet or Gaudette. Both I’ve seen Toronto fans on ACGM trade Dermott for.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 12:24 p.m.
Banned
No way McCann is equal value to Dermott..McCann is a potential 20 goal scorer. Back to back 35 point seasons(Kerfoot had 28 points last year for comparison). With more potential there. And still only 24 years old. Dermott is a scratch, can’t break into the line-up full time. There is a reason. Blueger had Selke votes last year and is off to a great start this year. And will have Selke votes again this year. One of the best defensive Centers in the game. And great on PK.

Wolf or Scott would be a throw-in. They are not prospects. Depth NHL/AHL goalie. Sorry. They arnt highly regarded prospects. Or prospects at all.

And Blueger is better than Bennet or Gaudette. Both I’ve seen Toronto fans on ACGM trade Dermott for.

Dermott is a scratch because they're trying to manage the work load of their d-man and they're working Lehtonen in to see what he is. It is not because of his play. He's been solid defensively this season.

You think Woll or Scott aren't good prospects? LOL.. that just screams you're being bias towards your favourite team. Woll has starter potential, Scott has backup with some starting potential. Goalies take longer to develop, look at Jarry on your team (Jarry is a great comparable to Scott too). So don't sit there and try to justify your trade with no known facts. If you thought they were AHL options, you wouldn't put them in your trade request.

Sorry, find it hard to take you seriously now.
Feb. 1, 2021 at 6:46 p.m.

Thornton was injured too.

Most teams don't have much top 6 c depth after their top 3

After Matthews/Tavares/Kerfoot

The leafs have

Thornton, Spezza, Nylander who can all play top 9 c in a pinch

Then engvall, Boyd, Brooks.

That's totally fine.

We were missing our best C and our 4th best C and we had Spezza at 3 C (but could have put Nylander there)

Not sure most teams could have done better if you remove their best and 4th best c
Feb. 2, 2021 at 10:56 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: BCAPP
Thornton was injured too.

Most teams don't have much top 6 c depth after their top 3

After Matthews/Tavares/Kerfoot

The leafs have

Thornton, Spezza, Nylander who can all play top 9 c in a pinch

Then engvall, Boyd, Brooks.

That's totally fine.

We were missing our best C and our 4th best C and we had Spezza at 3 C (but could have put Nylander there)

Not sure most teams could have done better if you remove their best and 4th best c

"Thornton, Spezza, Nylander who can all play top 9 c in a pinch" .. well Thornton's been playing the wing when he was healthy. Spezza got moved to 4th line wing when they started putting Engvall there, and again, Nylander isn't a centre. He doesn't play it and when he does he isn't good. Just because he CAN doesn't mean he IS a centre. Guess that means Marner can too. And JVR in Philly. And Drouin in Montreal. Because they were all drafted as centres too just like Nylander.
Feb. 2, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
"Thornton, Spezza, Nylander who can all play top 9 c in a pinch" .. well Thornton's been playing the wing when he was healthy. Spezza got moved to 4th line wing when they started putting Engvall there, and again, Nylander isn't a centre. He doesn't play it and when he does he isn't good. Just because he CAN doesn't mean he IS a centre. Guess that means Marner can too. And JVR in Philly. And Drouin in Montreal. Because they were all drafted as centres too just like Nylander.

"Play top 9 c in a pinch", did you miss the part about in a pinch?

Seriously how many teams do you think have better than that as options if their best (Matthews) and 4th best (Thornton) C's are out? Thornton is playing wing, it doesn't mean he can't play C. There are only 4 C slots on the team... The fact that Thornton is playing W in the top 6 is an advantage as (if he were healthy) it gave us another top 9 C option with injuries. Vs other teams if they didn't have a W who could play C, would have to be calling up their organization's Adam Brooks.

Also to be specific on Nylander, he is different when compared to Drouin/Marner/JvR.

Nylander played 2 seasons (though both partial as first got injured, and second got a call up) in the AHL as a C, I don't believe any of the other three did.

He also spent his first season (again partial, after the second AHL season) with the Leafs as a C. I think they planned to develop him as one. Then we got fortunate to draft Matthews, and they stopped bothering.
Feb. 3, 2021 at 6:41 p.m.
Dermott is a scratch because they're trying to manage the work load of their d-man and they're working Lehtonen in to see what he is. It is not because of his play. He's been solid defensively this season.

You think Woll or Scott aren't good prospects? LOL.. that just screams you're being bias towards your favourite team. Woll has starter potential, Scott has backup with some starting potential. Goalies take longer to develop, look at Jarry on your team (Jarry is a great comparable to Scott too). So don't sit there and try to justify your trade with no known facts. If you thought they were AHL options, you wouldn't put them in your trade request.

Sorry, find it hard to take you seriously now.

Ok, cool..why so mad?? Lol..

I disagree though man. I’ll admit or agree u know more about the Leafs prospects than me.

I saw and read the Leafs top 25 under 25 this year and neither were on the list.

In my opinion, I think both will be NHL back-up potential at best. We’ll see though.

I put them into the trade b/c that’s we need. Some NHL/AHL depth behind Jarry and DeSmith.

He is not the same as Jarry. Jarry hasn’t been good this year so far. But the Pens defense in front on him has been bad( see Toronto last year and f.Andersen). Jarry was an NHL all-star last year. It’s not potential NHL all-star anymore. He has done it already. He’s proven it.he can do it again. It’s not potential anymore.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll