Forums/Armchair-GM

Buffalo early season rebuild idea that wont happen but makes some sense

Created by: Eli
Team: 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 10, 2021
Published: Feb. 10, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The correct answer when the Rangers ask to trade for Eichel is either "Yeah, right, throw in Lafreniere," or else, "Yeah, right. Add Zibanejad."

This morning, with the Sabres and Rangers tied for last in their division, some Rangers fan posted Zibanejad and Lafreniere for Eichel. https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/416775?post_id=2106414

It got me thinking: The Rangers could still put together a winning season around Eichel. The Sabres could flip Zibanejad and unload other likely trade pieces, while taking back some guys that aren't having the best start to this season, and rebuild through the draft.

It would really hurt ticket sales this year, if there were ticket sales this year. Next year, the Sabres are building a young club around two recent 1st overall picks, and they're coming into training camp with five picks in the 2020 1st round.

Who says no? And if nobody but Buffalo passes, is this a good position to be in, to start a rebuild?
Trades
BUF
  1. Lafrenière, Alexis
  2. Zibanejad, Mika
  3. 2021 1st round pick (NYR)
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Neal, James
  2. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
WSH
  1. Zibanejad, Mika
Additional Details:
has nmc. Buf can get the value of Zibanejad, but while they're last in their division, he's not moving to join them.
BUF
  1. Foo, Spencer [Reserve List]
  2. Kylington, Oliver
  3. Lucic, Milan
  4. 2021 1st round pick (CGY)
  5. 2022 2nd round pick (CGY)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
27$81,500,000$74,116,626$1,487,500$7,320,000$7,383,374
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$874,125$874,125
LW, C
RFA - 1
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,050,000$3,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
RD
RFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$787,500$787,500
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$791,667$791,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
Taxi Squad
$864,166$864,166 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
UFA - 1
LD
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 10, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Shibbal18
Edited Feb. 10, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
"but makes some sense"
*trades Eichel*
already nonsensical
*Mittelstadt at 1C*
*Zibanejad trade highly favors Washington*
*Trades Risto who has been really good under Kreuger for nothing*
*McCabe sitting, though he has been a top pair Dman*
*Trades Hall for a multi year cap dump instead of retaining on Hall*
*Cozens sitting, but Laf isnt*
The Sabres havent even played bad to justify a rebuild in this season
SalamiCheese and wojme liked this.
Feb. 10, 2021 at 12:10 p.m.
Servant of Chaos
Zibanejad+Lafreniere is an overpay for Eichel, nevermind adding to it
Feb. 10, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
They are one point out of the playoffs and haven’t played since last Sunday so no they won’t be rebuilding.
Shibbal18, wojme and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 10, 2021 at 12:20 p.m.
Everything about this post just makes it straight up toxic, unnecessary, and unrealistic. Almost everything is blatantly wrong to the point that nothing is gained from posting this and people reading it. No true sabres fan is gonna sit here and make this post.
What the hell are these deals? Trade Hall for rent to get Lucic back, wtf? Zibanejad not for prospects but for Eller and the late first? Come on. Risto for Neal and 1st one is also not very suitable.
Quoting: FreeTacosAreBestTacos

Zibabejad as predicted is having a down year as of right now, plus we don’t know how good Laf is yet. That’s why Eichel going to the Rangers is less than 10 percent.
Eli liked this.
Feb. 10, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
Sabres are elite
So you made this whole AGM as a front for your team acquiring Zibanejad in a terrible trade. Thanks a lot. People are gonna say Sabres fans have no idea about the value of other players when in reality, it is fans of other teams posting junk under Sabres AGMs
wojme liked this.
Feb. 10, 2021 at 2:28 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Skyraider112
So you made this whole AGM as a front for your team acquiring Zibanejad in a terrible trade. Thanks a lot. People are gonna say Sabres fans have no idea about the value of other players when in reality, it is fans of other teams posting junk under Sabres AGMs

I am a Caps fan, mostly, but Eller in a top six role is gonna break out like Pageau or Hayes. Has similar defense. Has scored a Cup clinching goal. By next year's deadline, the Sabres flip him for a 1st and a 2nd. Lucic and Neal, on the other hand, are dead cap space. Hagelin is a faster Girgensons with a couple more goals. Kylington is a 1st round bust CGY fans throw into every trade, but maybe another change of scenes could get him the ice time to develop. Foo is a surprisingly good forward prospect. Fehervary is a decent offensive LHD who can play either side and has good corsi.

Quoting: FreeTacosAreBestTacos

Okay throw in a 2nd from WSH to NYR. Throw in a 3rd from CGY to NYR. Because all the Buffalo fans saw all of the above trades and still agreed they weren't getting enough for Eichel, so it doesn't look like Buffalo is gonna be adding anything, here. Actually, you know what? It's my post. Also throw in McCabe. Done?
Feb. 10, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: SalamiCheese
What the hell are these deals? Trade Hall for rent to get Lucic back, wtf? Zibanejad not for prospects but for Eller and the late first? Come on. Risto for Neal and 1st one is also not very suitable.

Quoting: wojme
Everything about this post just makes it straight up toxic, unnecessary, and unrealistic. Almost everything is blatantly wrong to the point that nothing is gained from posting this and people reading it. No true sabres fan is gonna sit here and make this post.

Quoting: Shibbal18
"but makes some sense"
*trades Eichel*
already nonsensical
*Mittelstadt at 1C*
*Zibanejad trade highly favors Washington*
*Trades Risto who has been really good under Kreuger for nothing*
*McCabe sitting, though he has been a top pair Dman*
*Trades Hall for a multi year cap dump instead of retaining on Hall*
*Cozens sitting, but Laf isnt*
The Sabres havent even played bad to justify a rebuild in this season

Each trade, on its own, is bad. Making them all today lets the Sabres buy low on Lafreniere, cut bait early on this season, and focus on building up Staal, Rieder, and Montour's point totals to shop them at the deadline, hopefully adding two more 1st rounders in 2021. Same plan with Eller and Miller, the next year.

Making these deals puts Buffalo's 2021 1st into the top three. They make seven picks in the 1st round this summer. They make three the next summer. That's all just to add a supporting cast to Dahlin and Lafreniere. They win the Cup by 2026. For a team that cares about winning and selling out its arena, it's a win.

Meanwhile, the Rangers make the playoffs this year, and just might do some damage, while Kreider and Panarin are still young enough to contribute. They still need to fix their defensive group at the deadline, and maybe even rent a goalie, but they're on their way. For a team with a huge cable tv following that probably doesn't want to take this year off, it's a win.

If you want to talk about trading guys without taking back any cap hits, you're talking about waiting until the deadline to start dealing, which means Buffalo's pick in 2021 is top ten, not top three. While waiting on the above deals could get higher bids on each piece, as other teams develop needs, it means you don't have this year to showcase Staal, Rieder, and Montour, because you're busy giving that top PP time to Eichel, Hall, and Ristolainen. Who are better, but so what? Are you going to win the Stanley Cup with them? Odds looked good when Hall signed. Today, they look less good.

Quoting: Sabres923
They are one point out of the playoffs and haven’t played since last Sunday so no they won’t be rebuilding.

Thank you. That's a perfectly valid answer. It's the only thing any Sabres fan said here that responds to the big picture. If the Sabres are happy struggling to keep making the playoffs and developing their current prospects, that's fine, too.
Feb. 10, 2021 at 3:15 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Each trade, on its own, is bad. Making them all today lets the Sabres buy low on Lafreniere, cut bait early on this season, and focus on building up Staal, Rieder, and Montour's point totals to shop them at the deadline, hopefully adding two more 1st rounders in 2021. Same plan with Eller and Miller, the next year.

Making these deals puts Buffalo's 2021 1st into the top three. They make seven picks in the 1st round this summer. They make three the next summer. That's all just to add a supporting cast to Dahlin and Lafreniere. They win the Cup by 2026. For a team that cares about winning and selling out its arena, it's a win.

Meanwhile, the Rangers make the playoffs this year, and just might do some damage, while Kreider and Panarin are still young enough to contribute. They still need to fix their defensive group at the deadline, and maybe even rent a goalie, but they're on their way. For a team with a huge cable tv following that probably doesn't want to take this year off, it's a win.

If you want to talk about trading guys without taking back any cap hits, you're talking about waiting until the deadline to start dealing, which means Buffalo's pick in 2021 is top ten, not top three. While waiting on the above deals could get higher bids on each piece, as other teams develop needs, it means you don't have this year to showcase Staal, Rieder, and Montour, because you're busy giving that top PP time to Eichel, Hall, and Ristolainen. Who are better, but so what? Are you going to win the Stanley Cup with them? Odds looked good when Hall signed. Today, they look less good.

Thank you. That's a perfectly valid answer. It's the only thing any Sabres fan said here that responds to the big picture. If the Sabres are happy struggling to keep making the playoffs and developing their current prospects, that's fine, too.

Rangers are not making the playoffs they have a bottom 10 roster. They wouldn’t make it if this Eichel trade would even happen which it won’t. Again they are 2 points out and they haven’t played in almost 2 weeks they aren’t out of it I think it’s going to be a close race for the final 2 spots.
Feb. 10, 2021 at 3:18 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Sabres923
Rangers are not making the playoffs they have a bottom 10 roster. They wouldn’t make it if this Eichel trade would even happen which it won’t. Again they are 2 points out and they haven’t played in almost 2 weeks they aren’t out of it I think it’s going to be a close race for the final 2 spots.

I agree the Rangers would still have more work to do, but I think this gets them close. Then they add a couple defensive defensemen and they're a playoff team. I think Buf could afford to throw in McCabe. That leaves a need of one more real defenseman for NYR.
Feb. 10, 2021 at 4:06 p.m.
Shibbal18

I dont think the answer would be to burn everything down for a grouping of middle round firsts, especially not in the context of how the Sabres season is currently going. The Sabres are definitely not one of the top candidates for full rebuild. Their is also no way they can move Eichel and not have a franchise center already figured out. Cozens is not a franchise center, Mittelstadt may not even be an NHLer. The Sabres arent considering selling of pieces and wont be by the deadline so theirs no reason to sell early. Also I was specifically talking about taking back 3 years of Lucic (who will never play in Buffalo, despite me actually liking him as a player, Buffalo hates him) as opposed to retaining on 1 year of Hall. Kylington and a 2nd is not worth taking Lucic, hes also extremely overrated I have no interest in him, the Sabres have a great Defense prospect pool already.
Eli liked this.
Feb. 12, 2021 at 10:21 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Hello my friend, it is nice to see you make a post.
I always enjoyed reading your comments as you were one of the few people who actually watch hockey with an understanding of why actions occur.
IMO you put together some good trades. Other than Ristolainen maybe more than market value of the players the Sabres are trading away.
I think Ristolainen would return a lot more than Neal and a late first, he has been the Sabres best player nearly every night this season (you had to notice him during the two caps games).
While I can see the Sabres tearing it down, it will not happen as Kim will not allow it.
Getting draft picks is the way to build a team, Buffalo just wastes their picks.
Jack Quinn over Rossi?
Nylander over Sergachev?
Reinhart over Draisaitl?
Dahlin over Svechnikov? (this may be the correct pick, but Dahlin looks terrible this year, you must have noticed that from the two games with Washington),
Now with the second worse coach the Sabres ever had (Ted Nolan wins that prize) I see no future for this team either.
Imagine 10 games into the season and Eichel, Hall and Skinner have a sum total of one 5 on 5 goal. Krueger makes players look bad, I have no idea why Hall wants to play for him.
I am a die hard Sabres fan but as long a Kim and Terry are running the show, this team is destined for disaster.
So sure trade for picks and blow up the team, they will be miss the playoffs again, and again, and again.
Let me add, I am still a season ticket holder as I enjoy watching hockey, but Kim and Terry have no clue.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 3:12 p.m.
I am slow to respond to posts as I like to think about the trades.
I like your ideas, that would be a good start to rebuilding.
Over all good ideas.
I remember back in 2014, before Murray became the GM, the Hockey Writers predicted the Sabres would win the cup in 5 years.
I wish I could believe trading all of the assets would bring in a cup in five years from now.
I am not as confident as you.
First trade: Huge return for Jack, I would kill to have that return.
Second trade: Ristolainen will return more than a first, but If we are taking on Neal, Edmonton would need to add a first, and a good prospect and maybe another piece (pick or prospect)
If your goal is to sell low so the team does poorly, it is still not enough.
Third trade: Why add Eller if we want to do poorly. You are correct, he is a prime time player who can play defense.
I guess Buffalo needs to take on a contract, I would presume that is Hagelin.
Fourth trade: I hate Lucic, but he is having a bounce back year and would add some toughness to the team.

BTW, take comments from the Sabre fans with a huge boulder of salt.
Remember they thought Nolan and Murray were the second coming of Scotty Bowman.
Additionally, Shibbal thinks Krueger is a bright spot in the Sabre organization.

Finally, Adams is way over his head.
His UFA signings were terrible he took Irwin and Davidson while Pouliot and Pysyk signed for the same money.
Rieder was good but he grossly over paid Eakin.
How could he pass on Stalock when Ullmark is out for weeks and not pick up Guhle after McCabe went down.
Paying $8,000,000 for Hall was window dressing to get the fans excited but was about double of what other teams would have offered.
Eli liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 5:22 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
I am slow to respond to posts as I like to think about the trades.
I like your ideas, that would be a good start to rebuilding.
Over all good ideas.
I remember back in 2014, before Murray became the GM, the Hockey Writers predicted the Sabres would win the cup in 5 years.
I wish I could believe trading all of the assets would bring in a cup in five years from now.
I am not as confident as you.
First trade: Huge return for Jack, I would kill to have that return.
Second trade: Ristolainen will return more than a first, but If we are taking on Neal, Edmonton would need to add a first, and a good prospect and maybe another piece (pick or prospect)
If your goal is to sell low so the team does poorly, it is still not enough.
Third trade: Why add Eller if we want to do poorly. You are correct, he is a prime time player who can play defense.
I guess Buffalo needs to take on a contract, I would presume that is Hagelin.
Fourth trade: I hate Lucic, but he is having a bounce back year and would add some toughness to the team.

BTW, take comments from the Sabre fans with a huge boulder of salt.
Remember they thought Nolan and Murray were the second coming of Scotty Bowman.
Additionally, Shibbal thinks Krueger is a bright spot in the Sabre organization.

Finally, Adams is way over his head.
His UFA signings were terrible he took Irwin and Davidson while Pouliot and Pysyk signed for the same money.
Rieder was good but he grossly over paid Eakin.
How could he pass on Stalock when Ullmark is out for weeks and not pick up Guhle after McCabe went down.
Paying $8,000,000 for Hall was window dressing to get the fans excited but was about double of what other teams would have offered.

Thanks so much. I always appreciate your criticism because it comes from such a thoughtful, even-keeled, and forgiving place. I aspire to be more like that.

I agree Stalock is a decent goalie on a good contract. Could really help, although now he's injured, too, so maybe Adams is psychic. smile

I like Adams' Hall contract a lot, though. Rumor on this board said NSH offered him more money with longer term. With a lot of fans around the league guessing he'd sign for 7x9, Adams might have saved the team $55M on that deal. He's not all that consistent for a recent MVP, but when he's good he gets a lot of points.

I didn't mean any disrespect against Eichel or Hall by posting this. Just thought overall it could give the Sabres a good chance to add some lottery picks. And since I posted it, the Flames and Rangers have slid out of playoff position, but I had no way of knowing they would. It could have just as easily been the Oilers or the Caps. Or all four could have climbed to the top of the standings and Buffalo could have (at the time) upgraded its offense for nothing. smile
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 7:20 p.m.
Thanks so much....upgraded its offense for nothing. smile
I did not know about Nashville.
I know Hoffman signed with the Blues for only $4,000,000 so I presumed that was the actual value for players with their skills.
But back to the post, you have laid a good plan.
I think the Sabres should start over, this cast of character just do not respond.
Every year Botterill brought in players with rings or at least playoff experience and the team finishes last over all.
Last year he brought in a motivator, and the team finishes last in the conference.
Change GM's and the team is falling again to last place overall.
The team finishes last.
Start all over IMO, but need to let the prospects grow in the minors and not expose them to the losing attitude.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll