Forums/Armchair-GM

A realistic Ken Holland off-season

Created by: McDavidFan97
Initial Creation Date: Feb 12, 2021
Published: Feb 12 at 5:04
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Team Explanation
These aren't necessarily all the moves I'd make but it's what I'd expect Holland to do. Lines are what I'd expect Tippett to use for next season with what he's given. This is in a perfect world where Klef is healthy and playing like usual.

After hearing how close we were to getting Markstrom, I assume Holland will *try to* sign the biggest UFA goalie that doesn't resign with their team. I'd guess around $6mill x 4 is the highest salary and term Holland would consider. Apparently term was the deal-breaker with Markstrom, he wanted 6 years. I think the most likely options to walk in free agency and sign else where are Mrazek, Driedger, Andersen, and Grubauer. For now I say we sign Driedger but we'll see how his season plays out. A 3 or 4 year deal would allow Konavolav a shot at being our starter when we need to sign a new goalie
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
Räsänen, Aapeli3$800,000
Slepyshev, Anton2$1,000,000
Cairns, Matthew2$750,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Benson, Tyler2$800,000
Yamamoto, Kailer2$3,750,000
Khaira, Jujhar2$1,000,000
Kahun, Dominik4$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Ennis, Tyler1$900,000
Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan6$6,500,000
Larsson, Adam4$2,650,000
Driedger, Chris3$3,500,000
Trades
EDM
    ANA
    1. Jones, Caleb
    Additional Details:
    Seattle. It's between Kassian, Jones, Turris and Lagesson imo (if Lagesson is eligible). I wouldn't mind making a deal that involves Neal, Jones, Benson and some other pieces potentially
    Buyouts
    • Andrej Sekera: $1,500,000
    Retained Salary Transactions
    • Milan Lucic: $750,000 (13%)
    DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    PIT
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES BONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$81,500,000$78,646,659$341,326$850,000$2,853,341
    Left WingCenterRight Wing
    EDM
    Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan
    $6,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA
    EDM
    McDavid, Connor
    $12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    EDM
    Puljujärvi, Jesse
    $1,175,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    EDM
    Kahun, Dominik
    $1,750,000
    LW, RW, C
    RFA
    EDM
    Draisaitl, Leon
    $8,500,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    EDM
    Yamamoto, Kailer
    $3,750,000
    RW, C
    RFA
    EDM
    Slepyshev, Anton
    $1,000,000
    LW, RW
    RFA
    EDM
    Turris, Kyle
    $1,650,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    EDM
    Kassian, Zack
    $3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    EDM
    Ennis, Tyler
    $900,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA
    EDM
    Khaira, Jujhar
    $1,000,000
    C, LW
    RFA
    EDM
    Archibald, Josh
    $1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    EDM
    Benson, Tyler
    $800,000
    LW
    RFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    EDM
    Nurse, Darnell
    $5,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    EDM
    Bear, Ethan
    $2,000,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    EDM
    Koskinen, Mikko
    $4,500,000
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    EDM
    Klefbom, Oscar
    $4,167,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    EDM
    Bouchard, Evan
    $863,333
    RD
    RFA - 2
    Driedger, Chris
    $3,500,000
    G
    UFA
    EDM
    Larsson, Adam
    $2,650,000
    RD
    UFA
    EDM
    Lagesson, William
    $725,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    EDM
    Samorukov, Dmitri
    $825,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    EDM
    Neal, James
    $5,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    EDM
    Russell, Kris
    $1,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb 12 at 5:07
    Getting rid of Neal's salary could reaaaaly help you guys cap wise.
    Feb 12 at 5:11
    I’m ok loosing jones as much as I like the guy I think it’s pretty clear he’s not in the big picture plans. Unless injuries bring him into line up and he does ALOT better this time I actually think it will take some sort of small incentive to have them pick him over lagesson
    Feb 12 at 5:14
    imawesome
    I think that if Kahun were to sign somewhere for 4 years he'd want more than that
    McDavidFan97 liked this.
    Feb 12 at 5:15
    Quoting: Timmah007
    I’m ok loosing jones as much as I like the guy I think it’s pretty clear he’s not in the big picture plans. Unless injuries bring him into line up and he does ALOT better this time I actually think it will take some sort of small incentive to have them pick him over lagesson

Yea im scared Lagesson will be more appealing than Jones by the expansion draft. I'd pay up to keep him an Oiler
    Timmah007 liked this.
    Feb 12 at 5:17
    Quoting: imawesome
    I think that if Kahun were to sign somewhere for 4 years he'd want more than that

Yea now that I think of it he probably would. We could afford around a 3mill AAV if he starts scoring more. He's looked amazing im sure the points will come
    imawesome liked this.
    Feb 12 at 5:30
    Banned
    You forgot trading McDavid after the Oilers miss the playoffs (again) and he wants a trade out
    Feb 12 at 5:34
    I like Driedger, but the guys played 20 NHL games in his career. We'll see how the season goes, but you don't throw that kind of money & term at a 27-year-old who has just 20 games under his belt.
    MisstheWhalers liked this.
    Feb 12 at 5:35
    Bringer_Of_Snow
    I like the contracts. Nuge and Larsson deals seem fair for both sides.

Kahun probably wants a higher AAV. His next deal will be interesting. He plays so hard and creates good chances, but his shot and finish aren't that strong. If he goes the whole 54 game season playing with Draisaitl and only puts up 20 pts, Im not convinced he's a legitimate top 6 guy. If he stays he'd need to be reasonable priced. I do really like watching him play though.

I don't know anything about Driedger, but looks like he is playing well thus far, but an extremely small sample size. I don't think you can go into next season with that tandem. Too much risk, especially since we will be year 7 into 97s career. There are lots of good looking D and F free agents that I'd like, but after Nurse, Nuge and Yamo deals are dealt with, I think the Oilers will go hard after Binnington, Raanta or Grubauer. If not, there will explore a trade for a younger guy. Koskinen is a serviceable 1B, but simply is not good enough to steal games regularly for you.
    Feb 12 at 5:56
    NHL Trade Inspector
    Quoting: JulHok92
    Getting rid of Neal's salary could reaaaaly help you guys cap wise.

to bad in flat cap world nobodies taking it without a 1st + going with
    Feb 12 at 5:56
    Quoting: Bringer_Of_Snow

I don't know anything about Driedger, but looks like he is playing well thus far, but an extremely small sample size. I don't think you can go into next season with that tandem.

Yea its definitely too early to get an idea of what a Kahun extension would look like.

If Grubauer or Binnington are available we'd need to sign one. I'd prefer a guy under 30 so we can ride them to a cup at the peak of their career.

If we end up having 2 goalies who are in between a starter and backup again that would be a mistake (Smith is realistically a backup). Id also prefer a real starter before gambling on Driedger I just feel like we won't be the highest bidder. A trade would be the last resort, but acquiring a young #1 goalie with term would be great
    Bringer_Of_Snow liked this.
    Feb 12 at 5:57
    NHL Trade Inspector
    Quoting: CD282
    I like Driedger, but the guys played 20 NHL games in his career. We'll see how the season goes, but you don't throw that kind of money & term at a 27-year-old who has just 20 games under his belt.

I have Dreiger being a potential option for the leafs should Dubas decide to let Freddie walk. A 1a/1b system of Campbell/Dreiger could be intriguing. Wont be that expensive and works for a team up against the cap.

But i have a feeling something bigger could be in the works for the future of toronto goaltending
    CD282 liked this.
    Feb 12 at 6:01
    Quoting: aadoyle
    to bad in flat cap world nobodies taking it without a 1st + going with

I have a feeling that Seattle values Neal more than most teams since he was a part of Veagas's run in their first season. Neal contract would have 2YL at expansion. Im sure it would take less than a first. Depends whether Seattle wants to rebuild or win out of the gates
    Feb 12 at 6:46
    oilsince95
    Quoting: McDavidFan97
    I have a feeling that Seattle values Neal more than most teams since he was a part of Veagas's run in their first season. Neal contract would have 2YL at expansion. Im sure it would take less than a first. Depends whether Seattle wants to rebuild or win out of the gates

Or perhaps even Neal retained? If the Oil were to buy him out next season, I think it would be about 1.9mil per year for 4 years. I'd propose to Seattle to trade him to them at 1.9 mil retained, on the condition that they take the Dman we want the least of Lagesson and Jones come year end. Maybe that makes some sense? Then Seattle would get Neal at 3.85 mil for 2 years, and based on today's values, Jones. Decent haul. The Oil keep Laggs who fits well either as 3LD shutdown behind Nurse and Klef, and eventually Broberg who is much more in the Klef/Jones t-way dman role than the shutdown mold.
    CD282 liked this.
    Feb 16 at 10:55
    Quoting: oilsince95
    Or perhaps even Neal retained? If the Oil were to buy him out next season, I think it would be about 1.9mil per year for 4 years. I'd propose to Seattle to trade him to them at 1.9 mil retained, on the condition that they take the Dman we want the least of Lagesson and Jones come year end. Maybe that makes some sense? Then Seattle would get Neal at 3.85 mil for 2 years, and based on today's values, Jones. Decent haul. The Oil keep Laggs who fits well either as 3LD shutdown behind Nurse and Klef, and eventually Broberg who is much more in the Klef/Jones t-way dman role than the shutdown mold.

Samorukov is an option as early as September too. I'd give Seattle their choice of Jones / Lagesson if they'll take Neal with less (or no) retention.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Remove Option
    Submit Poll