infomercial MTLs need and Surplus

Created by: MTLaveragefan
Team: 2021-22 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 13, 2021
Published: Feb. 13, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hi,

Are your trades involving MTL being rejected a lot as of late?

Are you feeling down? Here is the informercial just for you : MTL NEEDS AND SURPLUS.

For so long the joke was on MTL'S center line and LHD... for the past 5 years, habs fan, me included, have traded for those two needs almost everyday... and Other AGM did the same.

However, MB has been adressing this concern for the last 5 years as well. Consequence? we now have a lock jam at C, and so many LHD prospect that we don't know what to do with them.

Therefore, I thought it wise to update the AGM community of the new needs and surplus for the HABS. That way, trade quality will go up for everybody involved.

MTL NEEDS:

a top 6 LW:
Montreal might lose Tatar this summer, leaving us with a hole at LW, where only Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen would be left as natural LW, which is a big drop off from Drouin. While Toffoli and Caufield could play LW, we don't want a situation where a line with Suzuki would have 3 Right-handed player on the same line.
It's not our biggest need, but we would like to acquire a great LW. Quality is key here as even Drouin is more suited for a 2nd line role.

RHD prospect:

MTL has a bunch of LHD prospect coming up the pipeline... but with the lost of Juulsen... we have Fleury and Brooks as possible prospect in the show... while they are promising, they are not elite. MTL needs to aquire a RHD prospect that could replace Weber and Petry when the time comes. Weber's decline has started a little bit (normal) and we need to find a RHD prospect ASAP before we are ready to compete... with a hole at RHD.

Cheap bottom 6 players/or cap space.

MB has finally decided to spend the cap he has been hoarding for years... however, it is the first time I have to do some cap management on AGM with the players we already have. Leaf and bolts fans, we feel you now. With our Top 6 a bit more furnished... luxury third and fourth liner have become a sort of liability and risk to make us lose some great players. A 900K De la Rose, does the same job as a 2.2M Lehkonen or 3.4M Byron (byron is more offensive, but you get my point)

Backup goalie:

If Seattle takes Allen away from the habs, we might have to find another short term backup that can take a lot of game. Price might be available. We just need to buy time for Primeau.

MTL SURPLUS.

First is a list of players that would be available:

Weber (unlikely), Price (has a NMC), Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Drouin (I know we need LW but still available), Ryan Poehling, Chariot, Edmundson, even Gally (for a price... but very unlikely)

We have a surplus at LHD, at Center, and at the RW. While most of the RW is newly signed, I don't see MB trading them.

We have a bunch of LHD in the prospect pipeline that we will have to trade some because they won't all have a place in the lineup.

At Center, #1C is taken by Suzuki, and there is a fight or #2C between Danault and KK. while Ryan Poehling is watching on the sideline. You could help MTL make their chose by making a trade with KK, Danault or Poehling.

We have a surplus of picks... We have a lot of prospect coming up... and we might have too much where there won't be enough place in Laval for all of them.

Conclusion,

You might agree or disagree with my list, but that's okay, people see things differently sometimes.

Love,
MTLAVERAGEFAN
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$900,000
3$900,000
3$900,000
3$900,000
3$900,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,500,000
Trades
MTL
    SEATTLE
    MTL
    1. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
    MTL
    1. De La Rose, Jacob [RFA Rights]
    STL
    1. 2021 3rd round pick (WSH)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$62,989,287$597,561$1,175,000$18,510,713
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,125,000$2,125,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 6
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $875,000$875,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,343,750$2,343,750
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 4
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $7,857,143$7,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 10:36 a.m.
    Zuke is the goat
    Corson Ceulemans is a guy I would target in the next draft. Big, skating, skilled, RHD. Hes a top 10 pick, maybe top 15, so wed have to trade up in order to get him. Or, we could trade both Tatar and Danault for first round picks and hope for those first to be top 15 picks as well. Or, add a guy like Harris to our first this year in order to move up.

Guhle-Ceulemans
    Romanov-Petry
    Norlinder-Fleury

Is a nice Dcore
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 10:36 a.m.
    v5 CBJ GM
    I think they'll sign a 3C to a one year deal to prepare Evans and Poehling
    I believe the biggest problem is the logjam on RW. This will definitely affect Caufield's development, so Toffoli will have to play on KK's LW, which really isn't all that bad.
    Drouin can be a 1LW. He's been phenomenal with Suzuki and Anderson, who both are doing amazing as well.
    I personally believe that Lehkonen will play over Poehling. He was great in his first NHL game, then kinda dropped off.
    math731 liked this.
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 11:49 a.m.
    You know nothing JS
    Habs dont have a log jam at center at all. If Danault doesnt resign, like it looks more and more, that centerline will be way unexperienced.

Suzuki - KK - Evans could be dominant in 3-4 hears, but if it's what the team puts on the ice next year, fans will rip their hair off. They look good so far because Julien protect them in the match ups / zone starts. Faceoff skills and defencive coverage need time to develop. IMO Poehling will make the NHL as a power LW. Also, injuries could be more damaging than usual.

That would be my priority. LW 2nd.
    MTLaveragefan liked this.
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 12:21 p.m.
    You know nothing JS
    If I'm Bergy, the plan is simple :

1) Try to resign Danault under 6M.
    2) If Danault's too greedy, try to resign Tatar for 3x6M top.
    3) Based on whoever resigns, aims for a vulnerable C or LW before Seattle draft. Iaffalo, Bennett, Greenway, Jost, etc. Make a package with Byron, a pick and/or a LHD/RW prospect.
    4) Pray Seattle doesn't pick Evans or Chiarot/Big Ed. Or make Seattle a bundle to pick Byron.
    5) Draft RHDs and LWs.
    6) If neither Tatar or Danault resigned, or a trade failed at #3 or #4 but you are able to dump Byron, try to fill the wholes on the UFA market. Bonino, Schwartz, Hoffman, etc.
    7) Resign Lehkonen and Armia under 3M AAV. Let Armia walk if too greedy.
    8) If nothing else works, make Byron dissapear in a "plane accident". (I love you Ti-Paul but you are the only expendable piece).
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 12:53 p.m.
    I post sometimes
    Quoting: jpsnow13
    Habs dont have a log jam at center at all. If Danault doesnt resign, like it looks more and more, that centerline will be way unexperienced.

Suzuki - KK - Evans could be dominant in 3-4 hears, but if it's what the team puts on the ice next year, fans will rip their hair off. They look good so far because Julien protect them in the match ups / zone starts. Faceoff skills and defencive coverage need time to develop. IMO Poehling will make the NHL as a power LW. Also, injuries could be more damaging than usual.

That would be my priority. LW 2nd.

But a defensive 3rd C could be found on the market easily.
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 12:54 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Well this is a nice write up. In a lot of ways I would say the Wild are a great trade partner. Problem is the #1 LW you desire would cost you Wild have 3 left shot wings I would consider legit current or future #1 LWs Fiala, Kaprizov, Boldy. Greenway is good but probably more of a #2. Wild also have a ton of middle 6 LWs coming through the system.
    Wild do have a couple RD in the system not number ones but 2nd and 3rd pair guys. You could easily make a deal for Dumba but not sure he fits your timeline.
    Wild do need centers and right shot wings. I know center is a premium position and would expect to pay more for the right one. I think RW for LW would need to be even deals.

That's what I got for you so use it how you will.
    MTLaveragefan and jpsnow13 liked this.
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.
    I post sometimes
    Quoting: jpsnow13
    If I'm Bergy, the plan is simple :

1) Try to resign Danault under 6M.
    2) If Danault's too greedy, try to resign Tatar for 3x6M top.
    3) Based on whoever resigns, aims for a vulnerable C or LW before Seattle draft. Iaffalo, Bennett, Greenway, Jost, etc. Make a package with Byron, a pick and/or a LHD/RW prospect.
    4) Pray Seattle doesn't pick Evans or Chiarot/Big Ed. Or make Seattle a bundle to pick Byron.
    5) Draft RHDs and LWs.
    6) If neither Tatar or Danault resigned, or a trade failed at #3 or #4 but you are able to dump Byron, try to fill the wholes on the UFA market. Bonino, Schwartz, Hoffman, etc.
    7) Resign Lehkonen and Armia under 3M AAV. Let Armia walk if too greedy.
    8) If nothing else works, make Byron dissapear in a "plane accident". (I love you Ti-Paul but you are the only expendable piece).

With the season Danault is having... He might regret not accepting the 5.5M offer he had. Him having a **** contract season is great for MTL. It would be funny to see him try to fetch more than 6 if he continues this way this season.
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
    I agree with most of what you have said here
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
    I post sometimes
    Quoting: OutCold13
    Well this is a nice write up. In a lot of ways I would say the Wild are a great trade partner. Problem is the #1 LW you desire would cost you Wild have 3 left shot wings I would consider legit current or future #1 LWs Fiala, Kaprizov, Boldy. Greenway is good but probably more of a #2. Wild also have a ton of middle 6 LWs coming through the system.
    Wild do have a couple RD in the system not number ones but 2nd and 3rd pair guys. You could easily make a deal for Dumba but not sure he fits your timeline.
    Wild do need centers and right shot wings. I know center is a premium position and would expect to pay more for the right one. I think RW for LW would need to be even deals.

I have to admit that I don't see the Wild often. Player evaluation is harder for me in that case. I do like the Style of Greenway, but I don't see a fit right now. And I know the wild would not trade Kaprizov... or ask for the moon.

How's Boldy? who would you compare him to?
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.
    You know nothing JS
    Quoting: MTLaveragefan
    With the season Danault is having... He might regret not accepting the 5.5M offer he had. Him having a **** contract season is great for MTL. It would be funny to see him try to fetch more than 6 if he continues this way this season.

14 games doesn't make a career. There's going to be A LOT of interest and overbidding for Danault. Seattle, MIN, CLB, DET, NYR... If Kevin Hayes can get 7M +, Danault can get 6M for sure.
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 1:06 p.m.
    I post sometimes
    Quoting: OutCold13

What can you tell me about Brennan Menell? Why the hell is he in the KHL?
    OutCold13 liked this.
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 1:13 p.m.
    You know nothing JS
    But a defensive 3rd C could be found on the market easily.

If you are looking for a 3C, you are in trouble IMO because KK won't be a top 6 center for years. Danault is top 6, as in he plays against the others teams top lines. You won't find that kind of center on the free agent market.

Also, "Easily" seems like an overstatment. There isn’t that many. Bonino, Granlund, Lowry, Nosek?
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    I have to admit that I don't see the Wild often. Player evaluation is harder for me in that case. I do like the Style of Greenway, but I don't see a fit right now. And I know the wild would not trade Kaprizov... or ask for the moon.

How's Boldy? who would you compare him to?

I expect Boldy to see NHL time at the end of Boston Colleges season. He is a player known to adapt his game to team needs but best player comparison I can give you would be a Mark Stone type. Silky hands, has a good shot and probably biggest drawback is he opts to pass more than he should, but seems to be shooting more as of late so they may have been corrected. He can play a bit of center but muche better as a wing. Price would be high. He was the 12th overall pick last year and hasn't disappointed development wise.
    So I can't say for sure what Wild would want not knowing the Habs system well. I'm sure KK would be of interest but also I am aware it wouldn't be a 1 for 1. Danault interests me but given his contract and his age I'm sure Wild wouldn't give up much.
    So I guess I'm not a big help on cost but maybe keep working on a deal and something can get figured out.
    Feb. 13, 2021 at 1:35 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    What can you tell me about Brennan Menell? Why the hell is he in the KHL?

He went to the KHL because he had the opportunity to go and play he wasn't sure what would happen in the AHL this year because of Covid. He was also worried about getting passed up by Addison. Since going to the KHL he has improved his stock. I use to think he was a 6th defenseman but looks more like a 4 or 5 now. Has a good offensive game and his defensive game isn't bad. Wild still have his rights they were not super happy he went but he didn't burn the bridge.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll