Forums/Armchair-GM

TDL Moves and Targets Id like to see

Created by: RazWild
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 14, 2021
Published: Feb. 14, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
These are just the moves I'd like to see.

Johansson has actually been better this year, so far. I might make that trade just 1v1, as Gusev has not played well this year at all. A change of scenery could do him some good.

Danault has also been underwhelming to start the year, and been passed up by the youngsters. A bottom six replacement center, promising young LW'er and a 2nd rounder is fair given his current level of play right now.

Currently my favorite Bonino to the Aves trade, plus I just really like Jost.

My favorite Dumba deal. I could see the 1st becoming a 2nd due to Ghost's recent improvement, but I'd try to get the 1st if we could.

With Dumba gone the Wild would go the 7-3-1 route in the Expansion Draft.

The basic idea is to stock up on young centers with upside and have enough options that whomever is taken from those who are exposed doesn’t make a difference if they are.

Basically make it tough to pick an exposed forward or between Gostisbehere or Soucy.
Trades
NJD
  1. Johansson, Marcus
  2. 2022 4th round pick (MIN)
MTL
  1. Beckman, Adam
  2. Bjugstad, Nick
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. Jost, Tyson
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Bonino, Nick ($2,000,000 retained)
MIN
  1. Frost, Morgan
  2. Gostisbehere, Shayne
  3. 2021 1st round pick (PHI)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$73,531,882$0$925,000$7,968,118
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW
UFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$874,125$874,125
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$863,333$863,333
C
RFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 3
LW, C
UFA - 1
C, RW
UFA - 1
LD/RD
UFA - 1
C
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 14, 2021 at 2:31 p.m.
I post sometimes
While Danault has been underwhelming offensively... he is still doing a great job defensively.
Kotkaniemi15, math731, jpsnow13 and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Montréal is still trying to win right now. We aren’t trading Danault for futures.
MTLaveragefan and jpsnow13 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.
Except Montreal is NOT looking to rebuild we are looking to compete NOW.
Kotkaniemi15 and jpsnow13 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 2:35 p.m.
Devils decline. Mojo didn't work out the first time around. Not trading a younger better forward for him even if he is stumbling out of the gate.
Devil, TanSor and RazWild liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 2:35 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Devils aren't trading Gusev for that package, even though he is sturggling
TanSor and RazWild liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 2:37 p.m.
John 3 16
Colorado won't be trading Jost in a trade like this. He's still only 22 and has shown signs of improvement this season, in particular on the PK and on faceoffs, while posting extremely good possession metrics at 5v5.

It'll be prospects and/or picks moved at the deadline for rentals, not pieces off the roster, unless there is a hockey trade.
Xqb15a, TanSor, jnowariak and 3 others liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
Couple things.

1.) I think the Dumba-Frost deal makes a good amount of sense for both sides but it’ll be after the expansion draft, which I think makes it a 1st for protecting him.
2.) I get a sense that Cole fits for PHI this year, they need experienced D and they have a real shot at the cup. I’d guess a 3rd?
3.) I’m not sold on trading for Danault, especially for Beckman. I find it hard to see him signing in MON after the season.
4.) I like the Gusev deal but is the idea to resign him as expansion fodder? Just doesn’t make a lot of sense for just this year IMO.

EDIT - Frost also makes a Danault signing redundant unless we move him to wing.

EDIT 2 - I still like Danault as an UFA.
TanSor, RazWild and Lightman13 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
I've wanted Gusev for a while now stemming back to when Vegas made him available. He'd be the perfect linemate for Kaprizov and they have shown chemistry during international play. That said the Devils will probably want a 1st for him and I don't think we'll be in a position to pay for a rental (and if we did it should be for a center). Only way it makes sense to me is a 3 way trade where Johansson is sent to another team for futures, Devils gets the future package, and the Wild get Gusev. 3 way trades don't happen often though so I wouldn't count on it.

Personally I'm just not sold on acquiring Danault. If he wants to come here through free agency, I'm all ears, but I just don't think it's a good idea to give up assets while he's a rental. Problem is we won't have the cap space to sign him this offseason unless we moved Dumba for futures and at that point I'd rather just wait another year when the free agent crop is way more enticing (Barkob, Zibanejad, Trocheck, and more). A sign and trade has been discussed before but again to make it work we'd have to ship out Dumba and frankly I wouldn't make that swap.

Colorado would probably want a prospect coming back in that deal. Bonino makes a lot of sense for them and I'm intrigued by Jost. Not sure which prospect though.

I do think this Philly trade makes some sense as I've said before, especially with the Fletcher connection. Not sure if Dumba could get all that quite yet but if he ends the season playing well then maybe Philly bites. I'd still rather get a Schmaltz/Dvorak or package Dumba for a legitimate 1C, but this is my favorite option where Dumba is moves for futures.
RazWild and Lightman13 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:07 p.m.
Quoting: Richard88
Colorado won't be trading Jost in a trade like this. He's still only 22 and has shown signs of improvement this season, in particular on the PK and on faceoffs, while posting extremely good possession metrics at 5v5.

It'll be prospects and/or picks moved at the deadline for rentals, not pieces off the roster, unless there is a hockey trade.

100% correct. I will add that Bonino could absolutely be a guy the Avs would have interest in though. Would just have to be a different package going Minnesota's way.
TanSor, jnowariak, Richard88 and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:09 p.m.
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
100% correct. I will add that Bonino could absolutely be a guy the Avs would have interest in though. Would just have to be a different package going Minnesota's way.

I mentioned this above but would the Avs entertain a Bonino + pick/prospect for Jost + pick/prospect?
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:09 p.m.

You guys just had to fleece the NYI for Toews and send both those 2nds didn’t you? Making things hard here.
TanSor, Anus_McLeod, Richard88 and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
I've wanted Gusev for a while now stemming back to when Vegas made him available. He'd be the perfect linemate for Kaprizov and they have shown chemistry during international play. That said the Devils will probably want a 1st for him and I don't think we'll be in a position to pay for a rental (and if we did it should be for a center). Only way it makes sense to me is a 3 way trade where Johansson is sent to another team for futures, Devils gets the future package, and the Wild get Gusev. 3 way trades don't happen often though so I wouldn't count on it.

Personally I'm just not sold on acquiring Danault. If he wants to come here through free agency, I'm all ears, but I just don't think it's a good idea to give up assets while he's a rental. Problem is we won't have the cap space to sign him this offseason unless we moved Dumba for futures and at that point I'd rather just wait another year when the free agent crop is way more enticing (Barkob, Zibanejad, Trocheck, and more). A sign and trade has been discussed before but again to make it work we'd have to ship out Dumba and frankly I wouldn't make that swap.

Colorado would probably want a prospect coming back in that deal. Bonino makes a lot of sense for them and I'm intrigued by Jost. Not sure which prospect though.

I do think this Philly trade makes some sense as I've said before, especially with the Fletcher connection. Not sure if Dumba could get all that quite yet but if he ends the season playing well then maybe Philly bites. I'd still rather get a Schmaltz/Dvorak or package Dumba for a legitimate 1C, but this is my favorite option where Dumba is moves for futures.

I think we’ve gotta get past the Dumba for a 1C idea, but your comment about waiting until the Barkov/Zib class hits the market just sparked a thought related to Frost. Having him, Rossi, and Ek would be risky in the extent that Rossi and Frost are still unproven but it does allow us the year to test run them to see if breaking the bank is indeed a necessity.

Not ideal, but I think there could be something to it.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:23 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
I think we’ve gotta get past the Dumba for a 1C idea, but your comment about waiting until the Barkov/Zib class hits the market just sparked a thought related to Frost. Having him, Rossi, and Ek would be risky in the extent that Rossi and Frost are still unproven but it does allow us the year to test run them to see if breaking the bank is indeed a necessity.

Not ideal, but I think there could be something to it.

I don't see us getting a 1C for Dumba, my preferred route is still getting Schmaltz or Dvorak but that assumes Arizona is interested in Dumba and also willing to trade one of those two. I will probably die in the camp that I'd happily pay Barkov $11M AAV in free agency even if Rossi and Frost turned out to be good but trading for a Schmaltz/Dvorak wouldn't allow us to do that. Maybe moving Dumba for futures is the way to go...

Edit: I'd try to get Philly's 2022 1st rounder instead of next year's because that draft is absolutely loaded with talent.
jnowariak and RazWild liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:25 p.m.
I mentioned this above but would the Avs entertain a Bonino + pick/prospect for Jost + pick/prospect?

My impression is that the team views Jost as a keeper. They have been patient with him and it's starting to pay off. If another team wants him, they will likely need to come with a very strong offer that is more like an overpay.
TanSor, TJTwolf and RazWild liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:27 p.m.
My impression is that the team views Jost as a keeper. They have been patient with him and it's starting to pay off. If another team wants him, they will likely need to come with a very strong offer that is more like an overpay.

I feel like he’s what everyone thinks Bennett is, but better.
Anus_McLeod, TJTwolf, TanSor and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:37 p.m.
I don't see us getting a 1C for Dumba, my preferred route is still getting Schmaltz or Dvorak but that assumes Arizona is interested in Dumba and also willing to trade one of those two. I will probably die in the camp that I'd happily pay Barkov $11M AAV in free agency even if Rossi and Frost turned out to be good but trading for a Schmaltz/Dvorak wouldn't allow us to do that. Maybe moving Dumba for futures is the way to go...

Edit: I'd try to get Philly's 2022 1st rounder instead of next year's because that draft is absolutely loaded with talent.

So I’m in on Dvorak, but there is zero chance they give up that contract. Less sold on Schmaltz, especially at his cap hit but I’m in on your logic for C preference.

The only push back I have with Barkov at 11 mil is that it almost guarantees pushing out one of Fiala or KK. Even if we buy out Zucc, there is a pinch in his last year that only saves us 1.5 mil in cap space. I don’t know if it’s impossible to get around but it’s not as simple as putting up the assets and signing the check.

All of that said, Barkov is the guy that really pushes this team over the top.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:54 p.m.
John 3 16

A pick/prospect swap can vary wildly in valuation. 1st/Newhook or 7th/Burzan.... Think you'll need to be a bit more specific here. For starters, presumably Wild would be adding the better pick/prospect, correct? What prospects do Wild have available?
TJTwolf, TanSor and RazWild liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 3:56 p.m.
John 3 16

Quoting: jnowariak
I feel like he’s what everyone thinks Bennett is, but better.

Jost isn't at all similar to Bennett. Bennett is crash and thunder, whereas Jost is much simpler and low-key, but still very effective defensively. His chance creation stats are OK as well, but he just lacks that last little bit of acceleration to finish chances.

Jost has a very specific role on this Avs team, and it's working incredibly well. 2nd on the team in takeaways and a big reason why our PK is ranked No.1 in the league. Avs have no reason to trade him while he's basically earning league minimum this season. Maybe it could be viable in the offseason if he starts to demand more money though.
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 4:02 p.m.

I don’t think it would be 1st or bust for Gusev, especially if he is expected to go to UFA. But I do think they’d want a piece that useful for future seasons. McBain/pick was the deal I had suggested earlier...think something that will ultimately be cost.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
How has Bjugstad been? I know he started off as their 1st line C but that seems to have faded quickly right? Beckman seems like a nice prospect tho
Feb. 14, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
Jost isn't at all similar to Bennett. Bennett is crash and thunder, whereas Jost is much simpler and low-key, but still very effective defensively. His chance creation stats are OK as well, but he just lacks that last little bit of acceleration to finish chances.

Jost has a very specific role on this Avs team, and it's working incredibly well. 2nd on the team in takeaways and a big reason why our PK is ranked No.1 in the league. Avs have no reason to trade him while he's basically earning league minimum this season. Maybe it could be viable in the offseason if he starts to demand more money though.

I think he means in the sense of Jost being a high level depth player that people don't think of too highly vs Bennett being over rated by almost everyone. Which is also the reason why the Avs likely wouldn't want to trade him in this scenario.
Anus_McLeod, Richard88, jnowariak and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 5:28 p.m.
Banned
Minnesota is trading Adam Beckman for what reason? Phillip Danault is a free agent this summer. At best he would bring back a 1st from contender. Minnesota has the cap & minutes to steal P.Danault away. In his three first AHL Professional game, He's been damn good.

Minnesota is best serve to wait until after expansion to make any big moves. Minnesota isn't trading a prospect like Beckman in a deal unless it's for like a player of Alexander Barkov.
jnowariak and Lightman13 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 5:33 p.m.
A pick/prospect swap can vary wildly in valuation. 1st/Newhook or 7th/Burzan.... Think you'll need to be a bit more specific here. For starters, presumably Wild would be adding the better pick/prospect, correct? What prospects do Wild have available?

I was thinking Bonino and a 3rd for Jost and like a 5th. For Jost I'd imagine Boldy, Rossi, Beckman, and Addison would be off the table. Maybe more but it's hard to say since Jost is still really young. I'd prefer to use picks over prospects but not sure if the Wild would feel the same or differently
Richard88 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2021 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I don’t think it would be 1st or bust for Gusev, especially if he is expected to go to UFA. But I do think they’d want a piece that useful for future seasons. McBain/pick was the deal I had suggested earlier...think something that will ultimately be cost.

Yep didn't necessarily mean first or bust, but I'd bet they'd like a first for him. A 2nd and McBain seems pretty ballpark but I don't think it's a good idea for us to buy a rental
Feb. 14, 2021 at 5:39 p.m.
Banned
I was thinking Bonino and a 3rd for Jost and like a 5th. For Jost I'd imagine Boldy, Rossi, Beckman, and Addison would be off the table. Maybe more but it's hard to say since Jost is still really young. I'd prefer to use picks over prospects but not sure if the Wild would feel the same or differently

I respectfully disagree. Not sure a case can be made jost is better than Joel Erickson ek, or even in Joel Erickson ek space. Meaning, wild shouldn't trade anything much for a player like just who would will just end up exposing also.

Wild also need to save a center spot, or two. Marco Rossi will take one. Joel Erickson ek will take 1. N.Sturm will take 1, meaning realistically only one spot will be open for a Alexander Khovanov,, Marat K, or free Agency C, or through trade for Top c
TanSor and jnowariak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll