SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Columbus Blue Jackets

When should Jarmo pull the trigger and fire Torts

Feb. 15, 2021 at 3:52 p.m.
A. NOW!!! It should have been done already.

B. If the Jackets miss the playoffs this year

C. If Torts' relationship with Laine goes South

D. If Torts' relationship with Laine turns into Torts vs PLD 2.0

E. Not for the foreseeable future

F. Over Something Else (What would it be?)

Let me know what you think smile
Feb. 15, 2021 at 3:56 p.m.
Banned
It would be stupid to fire him before the playoffs as he has gotten them further and further every year.

If he doesn't make the 2nd or 3rd round, they might consider it. I'm not sure though.
benkel and HockeyFan989 liked this.
Feb. 15, 2021 at 3:57 p.m.
I think if Patrick Laine is smart Torts will be the best thing for his career
Feb. 15, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
Aren’t options C and D essentially the same thing?

Probably E.
The fan base and media in Columbus absolutely love Torts. He can do no wrong at the moment. Likely bc they’ve never sniffed a winner before until he got there. Solid coach, but eventually he wears on everyone.
benkel liked this.
Feb. 15, 2021 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: SweetRevenge19
Aren’t options C and D essentially the same thing?

Probably E.
The fan base and media in Columbus absolutely love Torts. He can do no wrong at the moment. Likely bc they’ve never sniffed a winner before.

Option D would be basically absolute worst case scenario while Option C could possibly be manageable but definitely not ideal.

Should have clarified. Thanks for asking smile
Feb. 15, 2021 at 4:17 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
2 seasons coinciding with laine, werenski and Jones contracts, seems like a continuation point or a rebuild with a new regime point.
Feb. 15, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
I'd say B. Jackets are doing okay and there's no reason to fire him now. But I think if they're going to try to build around Laine now, they should start fresh and get someone who can coach more offensively talented players.

As a Rangers fan I watched in 2009-2012 as Tortorella excelled at tapping into the potential of otherwise mediocre players (Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov), and he took them to the ECF. But once the Rangers started to acquire/develop more talent, the team no longer responded well to Tortorella.

I think Tortorella is good at coaching bad teams and bad at coaching good ones. Columbus is becoming legit with real talent like Laine, Roslovic, Bjorkstrand and Texier.
benkel liked this.
Feb. 15, 2021 at 4:28 p.m.
I’d say he’s gone at the end of the season anyways. His contract is up with the team at the conclusion of this season, no need to fire him unless there’s a big name that is high on Jarmos list that could be signed before any other teams drop their coaches from him.
benkel liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll