Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR/CAR) - Korshkov, Warsofsky for Galchenyuk

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 16, 2021 at 7:25 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Random2152
NGL, I like this more for the Canes rather than the Leafs. Hope I am wrong.
Maybe Korshkov said he wasn't coming back?

Edit b/c people don't seem to understand:
The reason the Leafs didn't claim Galch was because they'd have to keep him on the roster, not the taxi squad. Players of his calibre often have more value after going through waivers than before. Dubas can now put him on the taxi squad for cap purposes, or send him to the Marlies. We couldn't if we claimed him off waivers.

I see 2 things in this trade.

Number of contracts on the Leafs reduced by 1 and possibly that Korshkov did not want to return to Leafs.

A byproduct of adding 700k contracts and no room for a guy to make the jump.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:03 a.m.
Yes
Korshkov was good in the KHL, so honestly, the Leafs could have gotten more than just Galchenyuk.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:42 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: mondo
Guessing this is because Galchenyuk can be useless in the AHL without needing to quarantine for 14 days. Clears a contract out too.

Plus there’s the fact that the Calder Cup playoffs probably don’t happen this year, meaning there’s absolutely no reason for Chicago to insert Galchenyuk into their locker room.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:45 a.m.
TOR so far this year at 5v5 among NHL teams:

SA - 9th most
xGA - 8th highest
SCA - 8th most
HDCA - 8th most

Toronto needs to address their defense and that's been the case for 3-5 years now. Not sure how Galy is going to help here, but it seems like Toronto is really trying to make this style of just try and score a crap ton of goals and hope the goalie holds up for a win.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:52 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
No risk move for the Leafs, but I wouldn’t expect anything out of him. (Assuming they didn’t want either player)

Good deal for the Canes, getting free depth for Chicago.

If Korshkov or Warsofsky become anything this is a clear win for the Canes.

Edit: I just saw both Korshkov’s stats. If he comes back to North America, this is a big win for the Canes.

Korshkov is almost 25 and has already spent a couple years in Toronto trying to make the Leafs.
His KHL stats were good before he came over too, but he looked like an average AHL player on the Marlies.
He also plays a fairly soft game for his size. I don't think he's likely to become an NHL player at this point.

Warsofsky is 30 years old with a 55 game NHL career behind him. I don't think he can become something anymore.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:52 a.m.
Quoting: boombadoomba
Korshkov was good in the KHL, so honestly, the Leafs could have gotten more than just Galchenyuk.

they probably traded him since he didn't want to come over or be with the leafs because there's no way his value should be this low
boombadoomba liked this.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:53 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: MapleLeafsfan2003
only 27, has a 30 goals season.... Keefe is going to rebuild this guy.....

Good luck with that. He’s very slow, doesn’t give much of an effort and is terrible defensively. He has a decent wrist shot, but that’s the only useful part of him.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:54 a.m.
Edited Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:59 a.m.
Quoting: boombadoomba

Feb. 16, 2021 at 9:58 a.m.
Good luck with that. He’s very slow, doesn’t give much of an effort and is terrible defensively. He has a decent wrist shot, but that’s the only useful part of him.

To be honest the only thing you can really "fix" in an older player is their work ethic and defensive game.

So it's definitely possible with Galchenyuk. Unlikely but possible.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:01 a.m.
Quoting: MapleLeafsfan2003
only 27, has a 30 goals season.... Keefe is going to rebuild this guy.....

He had 30G like 6 years ago and he hasn't cracked 20G since. He also had a career high in PPG the year he hit 30G.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:03 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: drewjenkins
To be honest the only thing you can really "fix" in an older player is their work ethic and defensive game.

So it's definitely possible with Galchenyuk. Unlikely but possible.

Yeah, but the thing is he’s had NHL coaches trying to fix him for almost 9 years now, to no avail. Either he doesn’t care about getting better, or he just does not have the ability to be a better player.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
they probably traded him since he didn't want to come over or be with the leafs because there's no way his value should be this low

Korshkov is almost 25, he's played 1 NHL game and put up average AHL stats last year.

Galchenyuk was 26 last week, he can play NHL games and has a similar cap-hit.

I wouldn't say the value is off (Korshkov isn't likely to be an NHL player).
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:08 a.m.
Korshkov is almost 25, he's played 1 NHL game and put up average AHL stats last year.

Galchenyuk was 26 last week, he can play NHL games and has a similar cap-hit.

I wouldn't say the value is off (Korshkov isn't likely to be an NHL player).

Korshkov has the potential to be a lot better
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:09 a.m.
Yeah, but the thing is he’s had NHL coaches trying to fix him for almost 9 years now, to no avail. Either he doesn’t care about getting better, or he just does not have the ability to be a better player.

No one is confused about that ... that's why he cost a 25 year old prospect who had 0.56 points per game in the AHL last year.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:10 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Korshkov has the potential to be a lot better

Yeah man ... I'm sure you were saying the same thing before the Leafs traded him lol.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:11 a.m.
Yeah man ... I'm sure you were saying the same thing before the Leafs traded him lol.

Well i haven't really talked about Korshkov before sooo...
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
WentWughes
Korshkov is almost 25 and has already spent a couple years in Toronto trying to make the Leafs.
His KHL stats were good before he came over too, but he looked like an average AHL player on the Marlies.
He also plays a fairly soft game for his size. I don't think he's likely to become an NHL player at this point.

Warsofsky is 30 years old with a 55 game NHL career behind him. I don't think he can become something anymore.

I quick little internet search tells me he played 1 year in North America (including scoring in his only NHL game). He didn't spend "years"
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
WentWughes

He's definitely looking like a bust for the 1st pick in the 2nd round, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have NHL potential anymore.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N

SA - 9th most
xGA - 8th highest
SCA - 8th most
HDCA - 8th most

Toronto needs to address their defense and that's been the case for 3-5 years now. Not sure how Galy is going to help here, but it seems like Toronto is really trying to make this style of just try and score a crap ton of goals and hope the goalie holds up for a win.

Did you make these up? Hockey reference has Toronto at 5v5 as:

13th best in NHL = HDCA
12th best in NHL = xGA
12th best in NHL = SCA
16th best in NHL = GA

BTW none of these are per-game stats, they're totals for the season.
And Toronto is tied for the 7th most games played in the NHL.
So they're actually doing a bit better than these numbers show.

You're not statting right bro.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:27 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
He's definitely looking like a bust for the 1st pick in the 2nd round, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have NHL potential anymore.

Less than Juulsen though ...
Feb. 16, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
WentWughes
Less than Juulsen though ...

Maybe at one point, but Florida has no idea what they are doing with him so you can chock him up as a bust
Feb. 16, 2021 at 2:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: justaBoss
Assuming Korshkov wasn't coming back to TOR I see this as a win for both.

Apparently he wants to stay in the KHL as the team hes currently on has given him a top line role and he seems happy. In the NHL he would at best be a 3rd line wing but realistically on the hurricanes (maybe a 4th liner)

not saying im thrilled with this but hey Simmonds is working in Toronto so why not try with another player whose struggling. Could see 10-15+ goals out of him who knows
Feb. 16, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
This trade for Dubas is a microcosm of what we are doing on UN-Friendly Cap for sh*ts & giggles - except he's getting paid big $$$ for it.

Face it, he likes to make deals.
Gets a rush/high from them and a paycheck.
Doesn't mean they are any good.
He's just an addict.

Be gone by the next draft whenever that is.....
Feb. 16, 2021 at 3:22 p.m.
Banned
Plus there’s the fact that the Calder Cup playoffs probably don’t happen this year, meaning there’s absolutely no reason for Chicago to insert Galchenyuk into their locker room.

there will be no playoffs in the AHL that's already been stated. It's basically developmental ice right now.

Quoting: ON3M4N

SA - 9th most
xGA - 8th highest
SCA - 8th most
HDCA - 8th most

Did you make these up? Hockey reference has Toronto at 5v5 as:

13th best in NHL = HDCA
12th best in NHL = xGA
12th best in NHL = SCA
16th best in NHL = GA

BTW none of these are per-game stats, they're totals for the season.
And Toronto is tied for the 7th most games played in the NHL.
So they're actually doing a bit better than these numbers show.

You're not statting right bro.

It doesn't really matter what the numbers are. It's all about the playoffs and it's a different game then.
Truth is the bottom 6 on TOR does not look playoff sound. Don't get me wrong, they aren't the ONLY team like that. But if you want to win a cup you need a bottom 6 that can play playoff hockey.
Their defense is what it is. I'm not totally sold on the fact that TOR can't win a cup with their defense. Hell I watched the penguins win a cup with Ron Hainsey as their 1RD and Schultz as their 2RD. So defense isn't really what is needed. But in order to do that you have to dominate at the forward group. That means having speed, being a threat, and keeping the other team on it's heels and pinned in.
TOR doesn't have 4 lines capable of doing that. They got 2.
When you only got 2, you need defense.

Take the regular season with a grain of salt. Ain't no one trying to expose anyone yet.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 16, 2021 at 3:29 p.m.
Pete
Congratulations Toronto. You've just received the final piece to win the Stanley Cup. Go go Galch(enyuk)! cool

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit