Edmonton Next Year Questions

Created by: Duggysdanglers
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 16, 2021
Published: Feb. 16, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1. Is Klefbom going to be able to play?
2. Is Holloway NHL ready? 25 points in 14 games in NCAA.
3. Is it worth it to buyout James Neal? Given that Edmonton has an abundance of dead cap space should they add more with a Neal buyout. It’ll be another $1.9 m for 4 more years.
4. What will it cost to get Seattle to take Neal?
5. What is the best UFA G solution ?
6. Would Georgiev be a solid option or is it too reminiscent of the Talbot trade?
7. Should they bring back Adam Larsson? I’m a fan but not everyone is. Is he worth 6 years at $6 m per? That’s likely what it’ll cost.
8. Does Broberg make the team? He’s been injured this season so it might set back his development. Maybe the AHL for a year potentially.
9. What is Kahun’s next deal look like? He’s not putting up tons of points so far.
Let me know what you think please.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
4$2,000,000
3$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,000,000
6$6,000,000
Trades
EDM
    Seattle.
    NYR
    1. Samorukov, Dmitri
    Additional Details:
    Great expansion draft deal for both teams. I believe Samorukov is exempt.
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$76,103,839$669,339$940,000$5,396,161
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 8
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $1,175,000$1,175,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 3
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    C
    RFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    RW, C
    RFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $2,425,000$2,425,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,600,000$5,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 16, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
    The other ones Drai
    I think too much for Larsson
    5x5
    With Tippet he wont bring up Broberg, at least another year
    Same thing with Holloway
    Less for Kahun at this point, maybe 1.1
    D pairings should be:
    Nurse-Bear
    Klefbom-Bouchard
    Lagesson-Larsson
    Maybe someone better than Georgiev
    Feb. 16, 2021 at 12:58 p.m.
    vosse9
    Shesterkin is exempt so Georgiev will be protected. Going to take more than that to get him from the Rangers
    Duggysdanglers liked this.
    Feb. 16, 2021 at 1:10 p.m.
    Banned
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. A second rounder
    5. IDK, Good question
    6. Yes, Georgie is a solid option
    7. No way
    8. Nah
    9. Try him with McDavid give him a chance to prove he’s good
    Feb. 16, 2021 at 1:43 p.m.
    Connor
    Larsson is nowhere near worth 6x6. Hasn't been good at all the past couple seasons. I would give him 3 million on a short term deal.
    Feb. 16, 2021 at 1:47 p.m.
    Quoting: hockeyconnor97
    Larsson is nowhere near worth 6x6. Hasn't been good at all the past couple seasons. I would give him 3 million on a short term deal.

100 percent. He's not worth the 4.1 he's getting now. I imagine they will move on if he gets offers over 4
    hockeyconnor97 and CD282 liked this.
    Feb. 16, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
    Quoting: hockeyconnor97

Quoting: Eberles_Backcheck
    100 percent. He's not worth the 4.1 he's getting now. I imagine they will move on if he gets offers over 4

Fair Enough. Was not really sure where his value is at honestly. I know he gets vilified because they traded Hall for him so it’s forever a monkey on his back. But they’ve leaned on him pretty hard over the years that he’s been there. Through all of the injuries to Klefbom and others. He might do well with a new address anyway.
    Feb. 16, 2021 at 4:59 p.m.
    Quoting: Duggysdanglers
    Fair Enough. Was not really sure where his value is at honestly. I know he gets vilified because they traded Hall for him so it’s forever a monkey on his back. But they’ve leaned on him pretty hard over the years that he’s been there. Through all of the injuries to Klefbom and others. He might do well with a new address anyway.

I think most people have moved past that. No point dwelling on it, but Larsson has not been great over the last 2 or 3 years. Some of that has had to do with injuries and maybe some personal issues. But he struggles mightily to make simple plays like outlet passes and hasn't played with that edge that he was advertised to have had. So if he isn't doing either if those, he really isn't all that effective.
    Feb. 16, 2021 at 5:53 p.m.
    Great list of questions, BTW. Here's my take.

I think it's 50/50 at this point. He has opted for surgery (finally) but hasn't been able to schedule it due to COVID (he's in Sweden, the surgeon is in the USA). I doubt he'll be 100% for training camp, but he might return partway through the season.

I think he will be in the NHL out of training camp next year. He's mature physically and plays a sound defensive game - the two things that typically hold high scoring 19-year-olds out of the league.

3. Is it worth it to buyout James Neal? Given that Edmonton has an abundance of dead cap space should they add more with a Neal buyout. It’ll be another $1.9 m for 4 more years.
    I don't think so, I don't think the Oilers need the cap space urgently - most of their core pieces are already signed for next year. Nuge maybe gets a $1M raise, but then you have Bouchard replacing a $4M RHD (either Barrie or Larsson) so money saved there. There is no cap crunch next summer, no reason to buyout Neal at all. He's still a useful bottom-6 guy who can play net-front on the PP.

A 1st plus. Of course Holland should ask the question, but I don't think he should make that deal. Again, there is no cap crunch next summer.

5. What is the best UFA G solution?
    Edmonton should be looking for a guy who can split the starts with Koskinen, he produced very good results last year when splitting starts with Smith. I like cheaper options like Ullmark, Driedger and Raanta.

6. Would Georgiev be a solid option or is it too reminiscent of the Talbot trade?
    No. There's no need to trade for a meh goalie when there are reasonably priced (and better) options on the UFA market.

7. Should they bring back Adam Larsson? I’m a fan but not everyone is. Is he worth 6 years at $6 m per? That’s likely what it’ll cost.
    The contract ask is WAY off, it should be more like $3M x 3. I'm not sure I'd pay it though, I'll wait to see more out of Larsson this year before making that call. I think the Oilers need a guy with his skillset, but has he lost a step? They may be better off shopping the UFA market to get a shutdown guy on a short-term deal. Gudbranson? Savard? I think Samorukov will ultimately win the shutdown role in Edmonton.

8. Does Broberg make the team? He’s been injured this season so it might set back his development. Maybe the AHL for a year potentially.
    No, I don't think he makes the team out of camp. I think they'll slow-play him, give him a full season in the AHL along with a cup of coffee if he's playing really well, but I don't see him on the NHL club for the season.

9. What is Kahun’s next deal look like? He’s not putting up tons of points so far.
    It's too soon to know, but at this point he's looking at another 1-year deal in the $1M range. Can he keep a top-6 roster spot with Holloway and RNH on the roster - let alone with Savoie pushing up in a year or 2? I don't think he gets term for this reason.
    Feb. 17, 2021 at 12:52 a.m.
    Quoting: CD282
    Great list of questions, BTW. Here's my take.

I think it's 50/50 at this point. He has opted for surgery (finally) but hasn't been able to schedule it due to COVID (he's in Sweden, the surgeon is in the USA). I doubt he'll be 100% for training camp, but he might return partway through the season.

I think he will be in the NHL out of training camp next year. He's mature physically and plays a sound defensive game - the two things that typically hold high scoring 19-year-olds out of the league.

I don't think so, I don't think the Oilers need the cap space urgently - most of their core pieces are already signed for next year. Nuge maybe gets a $1M raise, but then you have Bouchard replacing a $4M RHD (either Barrie or Larsson) so money saved there. There is no cap crunch next summer, no reason to buyout Neal at all. He's still a useful bottom-6 guy who can play net-front on the PP.

A 1st plus. Of course Holland should ask the question, but I don't think he should make that deal. Again, there is no cap crunch next summer.

5. What is the best UFA G solution?
    Edmonton should be looking for a guy who can split the starts with Koskinen, he produced very good results last year when splitting starts with Smith. I like cheaper options like Ullmark, Driedger and Raanta.

No. There's no need to trade for a meh goalie when there are reasonably priced (and better) options on the UFA market.

The contract ask is WAY off, it should be more like $3M x 3. I'm not sure I'd pay it though, I'll wait to see more out of Larsson this year before making that call. I think the Oilers need a guy with his skillset, but has he lost a step? They may be better off shopping the UFA market to get a shutdown guy on a short-term deal. Gudbranson? Savard? I think Samorukov will ultimately win the shutdown role in Edmonton.

No, I don't think he makes the team out of camp. I think they'll slow-play him, give him a full season in the AHL along with a cup of coffee if he's playing really well, but I don't see him on the NHL club for the season.

It's too soon to know, but at this point he's looking at another 1-year deal in the $1M range. Can he keep a top-6 roster spot with Holloway and RNH on the roster - let alone with Savoie pushing up in a year or 2? I don't think he gets term for this reason.

My 10th question would have been:
    10. Should they select a G higher in the draft? Jesper Wallstedt projects really well. They have loads of D prospects and some solid F prospects as well. This team needs a G of the Future. Big Time!!! I get the BPA strategy though.
    Feb. 17, 2021 at 9:42 a.m.
    My 10th question would have been:
    10. Should they select a G higher in the draft? Jesper Wallstedt projects really well. They have loads of D prospects and some solid F prospects as well. This team needs a G of the Future. Big Time!!! I get the BPA strategy though.

Another great question. From what I can see, Wallstadt is projected to go anywhere from #2 to #17, so chances are he won't be available to Edmonton anyhow. And I dislike spending a really high pick on a goalie, as they have much more development ahead of them and can end up anywhere. The risk is lower with a skater.

Secondly, it appears Holland isn't sold on the idea of a "franchise" goalie or "goalie of the future" either. He's won multiple Cups without a stud netminder and he's on record as saying that he doesn't like to allocate a lot of cap to the position. You'll never see a $10M goalie on a Holland-built roster, IMO. So with this in mind, would he spend a top-10 (say) pick on a goalie? It's doubtful.

Because goalies have much more development ahead of them, I think it makes some sense to use late picks on overage goalies. Edmonton did this already with Konovalov. Looking at Wallstadt's stats led me to notice that he was 3rd in the SHL for Sv% at .919, 2nd is an undrafted 21-year-old named Arvid Söderblom (.924). Is it better value to use a 7th rounder on a Söderblom type and the first round pick on another Holloway/Bouchard type? I don't know.

Here's what I do know: I won't be the least bit disappointed if the Oilers nab Sebastian Cossa in the 2nd round. Now they just have to find a 2nd round pick to spend on him...
    Duggysdanglers liked this.
    Feb. 17, 2021 at 2:28 p.m.
    Another great question. From what I can see, Wallstadt is projected to go anywhere from #2 to #17, so chances are he won't be available to Edmonton anyhow. And I dislike spending a really high pick on a goalie, as they have much more development ahead of them and can end up anywhere. The risk is lower with a skater.

Secondly, it appears Holland isn't sold on the idea of a "franchise" goalie or "goalie of the future" either. He's won multiple Cups without a stud netminder and he's on record as saying that he doesn't like to allocate a lot of cap to the position. You'll never see a $10M goalie on a Holland-built roster, IMO. So with this in mind, would he spend a top-10 (say) pick on a goalie? It's doubtful.

Because goalies have much more development ahead of them, I think it makes some sense to use late picks on overage goalies. Edmonton did this already with Konovalov. Looking at Wallstadt's stats led me to notice that he was 3rd in the SHL for Sv% at .919, 2nd is an undrafted 21-year-old named Arvid Söderblom (.924). Is it better value to use a 7th rounder on a Söderblom type and the first round pick on another Holloway/Bouchard type? I don't know.

Here's what I do know: I won't be the least bit disappointed if the Oilers nab Sebastian Cossa in the 2nd round. Now they just have to find a 2nd round pick to spend on him...

Cossa looks great. 6’ 6” and 211 lbs is great. I’d have a good look at him.

Can they sign Arvid Söderblom out of the SHL??
    Feb. 17, 2021 at 2:30 p.m.
    Cossa looks great. 6’ 6” and 211 lbs is great. I’d have a good look at him.

Can they sign Arvid Söderblom out of the SHL??

Yeah, they probably could.
    Feb. 17, 2021 at 2:39 p.m.
    Yeah, they probably could.

There’s nothing wrong with developing a G because he just might turn into John Gibson or something similar. I think the Oilers need to do this because they just don’t have any decent prospect G’s. Solid G very rarely end up as UFAs.
    Feb. 17, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
    There’s nothing wrong with developing a G because he just might turn into John Gibson or something similar. I think the Oilers need to do this because they just don’t have any decent prospect G’s. Solid G very rarely end up as UFAs.

You don't think Rodrigue and Konovalov are decent prospects? Neither of them appear to be world beaters, but both look solid to me.
    Feb. 17, 2021 at 6:59 p.m.
    You don't think Rodrigue and Konovalov are decent prospects? Neither of them appear to be world beaters, but both look solid to me.

I have not seen Konovalov.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll