Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason

Created by: Richard88
Team: 2021-22 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 18, 2021
Published: Feb. 18, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If Grubauer and Landeskog ask for a combined $14m and Seattle take one of Jost/O'Connor then things could get difficult for Colorado.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$9,000,000
1$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$8,000,000
6$6,000,000
Trades
COL
    Seattle
    ANA
    1. Jost, Tyson [RFA Rights]
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$86,415,630$1,741,463$3,125,000-$4,915,630
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 8
    $6,300,000$6,300,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 4
    $4,900,000$4,900,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
    C
    RFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    G
    UFA - 6
    $3,166,667$3,166,667
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 9:12 a.m.
    Banned
    I can't see Makar getting 9 and Landeskog getting 8 tbh
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 9:31 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    I can't see the Avs not protecting Jost and definitely can't see Seattle not taking Graves BUT if the scenario you propose here comes to pass, they'd definitely be looking to move out salary in the form of Graves and Compher or Donny, possibly even someone like Bura.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 9:32 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    Quoting: ZiggyPalffy

I can easily see Makar getting $9M on a long-term deal but I think he'll end up in the $6-7M range on a bridge deal. I think Landy ends up closer to $7M for anywhere from 6-8 years.
    ZiggyPalffy and Anus_McLeod liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 9:56 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: ZiggyPalffy

Avs fans would be delighted if Makar signs for 9x7. Getting max term will be the most important thing.

Quoting: NMAvsFan
    I can't see the Avs not protecting Jost and definitely can't see Seattle not taking Graves BUT if the scenario you propose here comes to pass, they'd definitely be looking to move out salary in the form of Graves and Compher or Donny, possibly even someone like Bura.

I agree I think Jost would be the 7th forward protected. I made this AGM roster to answer a question someone on HFboards Avs had. They were wondering if Grubauer could price himself out if he asks for $6m, and what would happen if Seattle took one of Jost/O'Connor. Avs really need Seattle to take a $3m+ contract, simple as that. Jost they can protect, but Seattle might prefer O'Connor over Donskoi/Compher which could be a problem.

I can easily see Makar getting $9M on a long-term deal but I think he'll end up in the $6-7M range on a bridge deal. I think Landy ends up closer to $7M for anywhere from 6-8 years.

Based on the Rantanen contract I think both sides will probably push for a long-term deal. Makar's camp leaning towards 5-6 years, and Sakic pushing for 7-8. He could probably ask for close to $10m on a 7-8 year deal which honestly probably wouldn't be that bad. Coming off a bridge deal he'd probably be able to ask for Karlsson money at $11m.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 10:05 a.m.
    retired
    in this scenario i think you buy out johnson and move one of nuke, compher or graves.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 10:10 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: DirtyDangle
    in this scenario i think you buy out johnson and move one of nuke, compher or graves.

Moving Compher/Donskoi and replacing them with a minimum contract barely gets them below the $81.5m ceiling. They're going to need much more space than that to cover performance bonuses/overages as well which could become a real issue. The more I think about it the more likely it seems that they're going to have to move Johnson somehow. Worst case scenario we're stuck with $2m on the books for 4 years. Trading him with $2m retention would be the next best option. Getting Seattle to take his contract would probably cost a 1st.
    DirtyDangle and TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 10:11 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    Quoting: Richard88
    Avs fans would be delighted if Makar signs for 9x7. Getting max term will be the most important thing.

I agree I think Jost would be the 7th forward protected. I made this AGM roster to answer a question someone on HFboards Avs had. They were wondering if Grubauer could price himself out if he asks for $6m, and what would happen if Seattle took one of Jost/O'Connor. Avs really need Seattle to take a $3m+ contract, simple as that. Jost they can protect, but Seattle might prefer O'Connor over Donskoi/Compher which could be a problem.

Based on the Rantanen contract I think both sides will probably push for a long-term deal. Makar's camp leaning towards 5-6 years, and Sakic pushing for 7-8. He could probably ask for close to $10m on a 7-8 year deal which honestly probably wouldn't be that bad. Coming off a bridge deal he'd probably be able to ask for Karlsson money at $11m.

Vegas only took 13 forwards then loaded up on D, right? The reason being that D talent is easier to get a good return on. There will be plenty of bottom-6 forwards available but someone like Graves would be valuable to them not only as a player but also as trade-bait. They could easily choose someone like Graves then immediately flip him to someone else (like, say, Winnipeg) for something they need more of. And from the money side, they're going to need to get to the cap floor so I don't think a $3-4M contract is a deal-breaker for them. I predict they'll take the best player asset they can get and that isn't OC, it's Graves.

Makar's camp could ask for a 2-3 year bridge just to get out from under the flat cap. If it rises by the end of that time, he could get $11M anyhow and it would still be a good deal as the value he'd provide would exceed that. And if the cap is up a few million bucks by then, shouldn't be a problem.
    Richard88 and TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 10:18 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    Moving Compher/Donskoi and replacing them with a minimum contract barely gets them below the $81.5m ceiling. They're going to need much more space than that to cover performance bonuses/overages as well which could become a real issue. The more I think about it the more likely it seems that they're going to have to move Johnson somehow. Worst case scenario we're stuck with $2m on the books for 4 years. Trading him with $2m retention would be the next best option. Getting Seattle to take his contract would probably cost a 1st.

$2M of dead money on the books for 4 years is unacceptable, especially in a flat-cap world. The Avs will get Seattle to take one of Graves/Donny/Compher (Graves is most likely) one way or another. I consider it highly unlikely they move Johnson, with or without retention and if this recent injury is severe enough, he may actually retire.

It is possible they might even leave someone like Bura unprotected in which case Seattle takes him. In this scenario, you get:

1. Almost $5M off the books (which allows you to re-sign Saad) for a guy they probably won't keep around long-term anyhow
    2. Space to bring in Newhook in top-six wing role
    3. Now you can use some of those other guys as trade assets and get something back for them. Graves would fetch a decent return, Compher less so

To me, that's actually better asset management than allowing them to take Graves for nothing
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 10:19 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Vegas only took 13 forwards then loaded up on D, right? The reason being that D talent is easier to get a good return on. There will be plenty of bottom-6 forwards available but someone like Graves would be valuable to them not only as a player but also as trade-bait. They could easily choose someone like Graves then immediately flip him to someone else (like, say, Winnipeg) for something they need more of. And from the money side, they're going to need to get to the cap floor so I don't think a $3-4M contract is a deal-breaker for them. I predict they'll take the best player asset they can get and that isn't OC, it's Graves.

Makar's camp could ask for a 2-3 year bridge just to get out from under the flat cap. If it rises by the end of that time, he could get $11M anyhow and it would still be a good deal as the value he'd provide would exceed that. And if the cap is up a few million bucks by then, shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah Vegas loaded up on Dmen. 13 forwards, 3 goalies, 14 Dmen. Then they traded Methot, Van Riemsdyk, etc for picks.

I totally agree that Graves is the most attractive piece for Seattle. Avs also backloaded his contract a bit so they're only paying him $2.5m this season ($3m next year, and $4m in the last year), which seems like the sort of way you'd structure a contract if you wanted to save actual cash on someone you knew you were going to move on (just like what Ottawa did with Tierney's contract incidentally). If you're only paying Graves $2.5m the only season you have him, you're pretty happy, as that's about where he would have come in on a 1 year deal anyways. Sakic kinda did him a solid by giving him 3 years so he'd get paid, even if it's not by the Avs.
    NMAvsFan and TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
    John 3 16
    $2M of dead money on the books for 4 years is unacceptable, especially in a flat-cap world. The Avs will get Seattle to take one of Graves/Donny/Compher (Graves is most likely) one way or another. I consider it highly unlikely they move Johnson, with or without retention.

It is possible they might even leave someone like Bura unprotected in which case Seattle takes him. In this scenario, you get:

1. Almost $5M off the books (which allows you to re-sign Saad) for a guy they probably won't keep around long-term anyhow
    2. Space to bring in Newhook in top-six wing role
    3. Now you can use some of those other guys as trade assets and get something back for them. Graves would fetch a decent return, Compher less so

To me, that's actually better asset management than allowing them to take Graves for nothing

Burakovsky has way more trade value than Compher/Donskoi/Graves, so if that's the plan why not get Seattle to take Graves and then trade Burakovsky for a better return if you need capspace? Losing Graves for "free" to Seattle is far more preferable than losing Burakovsky.

I wouldn't be moving Burakovsky though, period. The guy is a good fit on this team, and his contract is pretty solid value with manageable term.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    Burakovsky has way more trade value than Compher/Donskoi/Graves, so if that's the plan why not get Seattle to take Graves and then trade Burakovsky for a better return if you need capspace? Losing Graves for "free" to Seattle is far more preferable than losing Burakovsky.

I wouldn't be moving Burakovsky though, period. The guy is a good fit on this team, and his contract is pretty solid value with manageable term.

I think that's debatable - top-4 D assets can fetch a good return, frequently better than what you can get for wingers but maybe now that Graves is playing away from Makar and his numbers have suffered, he's viewed more as a 5-6 with PK abilities. Bura does have good value overall but he probably isn't in the long-term plan; it's likely he walks after his contract is up unless the cap rises considerably or he takes a pay cut.

My point, though, is that I see the Avs trying to clear about $6-7M off the books this offseason and that doesn't include a buyout of Johnson.
    Richard88 liked this.
    Feb. 18, 2021 at 11:01 a.m.
    Don’t think Landy gets that much tbh, I see him around 5x7.5 maybe. And Makar is probably getting a bridge deal, honestly he could even be getting around 2x7 but we will have to see
    Richard88 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll