SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Is Matthews going to be the leafs GOAT?

Is Matthews going to be the leafs GOAT
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 19, 2021 at 9:11 a.m.
Go leafs go
The leafs have never had the best player in the nhl at the time. They've never had a Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe or Wayne Gretzky. Not even a Sidney Crosby, Mario Lemieux or Bobby Orr type player. Could Matthews be that player? At this rate he's almost going to get the nhl's newest 50 in 50.
Feb. 19, 2021 at 10:09 a.m.
Pettersson_40
Quoting: Saskleaf
The leafs have never had the best player in the nhl at the time. They've never had a Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe or Wayne Gretzky. Not even a Sidney Crosby, Mario Lemieux or Bobby Orr type player. Could Matthews be that player? At this rate he's almost going to get the nhl's newest 50 in 50.

By the end of his career, he will have been the first superstar in Leafs history, the best player for the Leafs ever.
Saskleaf and MapleLeafsfan2003 liked this.
Feb. 19, 2021 at 10:13 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: hockeyman2006
By the end of his career, he will have been the first superstar in Leafs history, the best player for the Leafs ever.

That's what I'm thinking too. A little too early to say anything now, but he certainly seems like he is on track to be their GOAT.
MapleLeafsfan2003 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2021 at 2:22 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
That's what I'm thinking too. A little too early to say anything now, but he certainly seems like he is on track to be their GOAT.

I'm with you guys! I want him to have a great career and be remembered as the greatest of all time as well but it's easy to get ahead of ourselves during a real nice streak of hot play. But ya, MAN does he look dominant out there right now and really taken some strides in his maturity on the ice from my observation.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 5:05 p.m.
Pettersson_40
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
I'm with you guys! I want him to have a great career and be remembered as the greatest of all time as well but it's easy to get ahead of ourselves during a real nice streak of hot play. But ya, MAN does he look dominant out there right now and really taken some strides in his maturity on the ice from my observation.

If you think about it this is the first time he has been fully unleashed, i explain more on my podcast on my channel Hey Ref! if interested
Feb. 23, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech

Of course he's not there yet. But I think he could be the leafs GOAT if he stays when his contract is up, wins a Rocket Richard trophy (which is likely this season) and maybe a Hart, and wins a cup.
Mar. 5, 2021 at 11:10 p.m.
sbinalla
why do people always forget marn he produces at the same rate as matthew pretty much every year or more yet people say hes the 10 best player on the team because hes not auston matthews i like matthews but marner better imo people say nonlander is better than marner lol
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6, 2021 at 1:08 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: maplelaughs2297
why do people always forget marn he produces at the same rate as matthew pretty much every year or more yet people say hes the 10 best player on the team because hes not auston matthews i like matthews but marner better imo people say nonlander is better than marner lol

I agree Marner is highly underrated. For some reason people compare him to Nylander, he's more on Matthews level for sure. That said, Matthews holds the edge. Matthews is leading the league in goals, and he's better defensively.
Mar. 6, 2021 at 2:41 p.m.
sbinalla
I agree Marner is highly underrated. For some reason people compare him to Nylander, he's more on Matthews level for sure. That said, Matthews holds the edge. Matthews is leading the league in goals, and he's better defensively.

i think they are even defenseivley also goals wont happen if you do not have playmakers like marner you could never score a goal but be better than wayne gretzky because you could be super good on defence or an amazing playmaker so goals should not afect the topic cuz marner has more assists but ya hes underrated for sure and not nonlander level
Mar. 6, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
Go leafs go
i think they are even defenseivley also goals wont happen if you do not have playmakers like marner you could never score a goal but be better than wayne gretzky because you could be super good on defence or an amazing playmaker so goals should not afect the topic cuz marner has more assists but ya hes underrated for sure and not nonlander level

In points they are comparable. Matthews probably has a slight edge though. First year he had more. The next year he has a higher points percentage. The next year obviously not, because Marner had his 94 points season. Next season he had more points again (and points percentage). This year he actually has a higher points percentage. Also I disagree they are equal defensively, Matthews is in the conversation for the selke (kind of, I mean he's probably going to be top 10). This is not a knock on Marner. He's good defensively, he's an excellent play maker, a top 3 play maker in the league I'd say. Just Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league. And he gets slightly more points (but it's close). Either way, both are elite players, and will surely be in the leafs GOAT convo some day.
maplelaughs2297 liked this.
Mar. 6, 2021 at 3:21 p.m.
sbinalla
In points they are comparable. Matthews probably has a slight edge though. First year he had more. The next year he has a higher points percentage. The next year obviously not, because Marner had his 94 points season. Next season he had more points again (and points percentage). This year he actually has a higher points percentage. Also I disagree they are equal defensively, Matthews is in the conversation for the selke (kind of, I mean he's probably going to be top 10). This is not a knock on Marner. He's good defensively, he's an excellent play maker, a top 3 play maker in the league I'd say. Just Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league. And he gets slightly more points (but it's close). Either way, both are elite players, and will surely be in the leafs GOAT convo some day.

ya if anything there even there completley different players matthews is the elite 45 to 50 goal 35 40 assist sniper marners the 25 to 30 goal 70 to 75 assist playmaker but they are quite a duo and i like them both and think they are extremley talented
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6, 2021 at 3:33 p.m.
Go leafs go
ya if anything there even there completley different players matthews is the elite 45 to 50 goal 35 40 assist sniper marners the 25 to 30 goal 70 to 75 assist playmaker but they are quite a duo and i like them both and think they are extremley talented

I agree, I really like both of them.
maplelaughs2297 liked this.
Mar. 6, 2021 at 5:29 p.m.
sbinalla
I agree, I really like both of them.

ya
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation