Forums/Armchair-GM

Three Trade Options for the Top 6

Created by: Eberles_Backcheck
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 22, 2021
Published: Feb. 22, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
From most to least likely based on the teams willingness to move the player, and cost.

Looked for players who fit the roster based on age, cap hit and term. These are the top 3 I came up with.
Trades
OTT
  1. Jones, Caleb
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
NSH
  1. Lavoie, Raphael
  2. Samorukov, Dmitri
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
  4. 2022 4th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Dvorak, Christian
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Bear, Ethan
  2. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
14$81,500,000$54,232,672$669,339$850,000$27,267,328
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$3,600,000$3,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 22, 2021 at 5:33 p.m.
Quoting: Eberles_Backcheck
I really think Holloway is the piece the Oilers are least likely to move. Aside from Bouchard I guess. He's everything the team needs, big, fast, feisty, winger with skill who can crash and bang. Oilers aren't trading him, even for Mantha.

Fair. But Mantha is a top line power forward finisher you’d be putting next to the best player in the world right now for the playoffs and the next three years. Could be downright scary for other teams. And he’s ornery to play against to boot. He could be a much bigger difference maker than Holloway. Holloway’s role seems easier to fill. Realistically have to give to get.. I’ve been proposing adding Neal in the trade to even out money and so Oil can still add in FA. Detroit fans dislike bc they love Mantha. Or I guess could make a lesser deadline add with less impact. I don’t think many fans on this site make true hockey trades. Most everyone is out here only trying to win the deal. This trade could be be win win
Feb. 22, 2021 at 6:15 p.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
Quoting: CD282
Even if the Nashville deal wasn't an overpay (it is), its largely pointless, as the Oilers have Puljujarvi and Yamamoto establishing themselves as top-6 RWers and Arvidsson hasn't been good this season or last.

The Coyotes trade is an INSANE overpay. Dvorak isn't worth either of those pieces, let alone both.

Yea I 100% agree about Dvorak. He for sure has potential, but he's got a big contract and I've never really noticed him when the Oilers play them.

I also agree about the trade being pointless. Arvidsson does play LW, so he could run with Drai, leaving Kahun on the 3rd line. But yea, I mentioned on another post that of Hollands to-do list, trading for a top 6 winger is relatively far down the list, so even if Nashville has a fire sale, I don't see the Oilers being in the mix for Forsberg or Arvidsson.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 8:49 a.m.
Quoting: Bringer_Of_Snow
Yea I 100% agree about Dvorak. He for sure has potential, but he's got a big contract and I've never really noticed him when the Oilers play them.

I also agree about the trade being pointless. Arvidsson does play LW, so he could run with Drai, leaving Kahun on the 3rd line. But yea, I mentioned on another post that of Hollands to-do list, trading for a top 6 winger is relatively far down the list, so even if Nashville has a fire sale, I don't see the Oilers being in the mix for Forsberg or Arvidsson.

If Forsberg is available, I'd hope the Oilers would be in the mix. Good player and worth spending assets on IMO.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 11:05 a.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
If Forsberg is available, I'd hope the Oilers would be in the mix. Good player and worth spending assets on IMO.

I would agree on that. I think there is zero debate that Forsberg is a better player than Arvidsson. But Arvidsson is quite a bit cheaper and Forsberg is a UFA after next season. Arvidsson has a number of years left. Its all about team control. The fact that Arvidsson struggled the last season and a half can either be seen as an opportunity to get an underperforming guy or a risk that he's on a downhill slope.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.
Quoting: Bringer_Of_Snow
I would agree on that. I think there is zero debate that Forsberg is a better player than Arvidsson. But Arvidsson is quite a bit cheaper and Forsberg is a UFA after next season. Arvidsson has a number of years left. Its all about team control. The fact that Arvidsson struggled the last season and a half can either be seen as an opportunity to get an underperforming guy or a risk that he's on a downhill slope.

Looking at the Oilers lineup though I wouldn't want another 5'9 guy in the top-9. Yamamoto, Kahun, Ennis and Archibald are all smaller guys. Nuge and Haas aren't very big/strong either... I don't dislike these players, but adding Arvidsson means you risk getting too small. If they offered Arvidsson for James Neal straight up I'd consider it due to age, but I wouldn't be re-signing Ennis in the summer if that was the case. Which is probably not a good move...

Since Neal joined the Oilers prior to last season:

James Neal: 66, 21-15-36 (0.32 G/GP and 0.55 P/GP)
Tyler Ennis: 82, 17-25-42 (0.21 G/GP and 0.51 P/GP)
V Arvidsson: 74, 17-18-35 (0.23 G/GP and 0.47 P/GP)

I'd rather re-sign Ennis at $1M x 1, thanks. Team control is a negative in Arvidsson's case, and in Forsberg's case might result in the asset cost being lower than it otherwise would be. Would the 2021 1st + Kahun be enough to get it done or would the Oilers need to add Carter Savoie?
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:29 p.m.
Quoting: Zmach
I fully expect both Barrie and Larsson to be resigned and Bear to be traded for something useful or a high draft pick.

Unless it's part of a trade for Gibson, I'm not a fan of that route. At all. You keep Bear and trade Barrie or even let him walk. Don't overpay players for age 30+ seasons. Bear and Barrie are similar players, and Bear has room to grow, Barrie is who he is. Bear is a better defender and just as good an outlet passer, similar quality shot from the point. Bear is the guy you invest in, not Barrie.

I'd bring back Larsson if the AAV and term are commensurate with his role (3RD able to move up in a pinch for injury or slump) going forward.
CD282 and Eberles_Backcheck liked this.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:33 p.m.
He vastly underperformed last year and this year so far. I'd be worried he's the next Kyle Turris. Ardvidson is also a right shot and with tippett's system he tries to stick to left shot on left and right shot on right. You don't want to be moving existing players that are on the right they are just fine it's the 1LW that needs a guy.

Tippett has had Neal, Chiasson and Archibald on their off wings often. Drai as well during the early part of his coaching tenure, but that's a totally different discussion.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: SweetRevenge19
Like Anthony Mantha? LW. Left shot. Decent term. Decent cap hit.

If -- IF -- Nuge won't resign that would be a deal I might have time for.

I try to sign Nuge for $8Mx7 (or less) but if he's not going to go for it then I try to deal him for value. Mantha is in the player cohort I'd be looking to bring back in such a hypothetical deal.
CD282 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
Pistol Pete
Quoting: BornInAGretzkyJersey
Unless it's part of a trade for Gibson, I'm not a fan of that route. At all. You keep Bear and trade Barrie or even let him walk. Don't overpay players for age 30+ seasons. Bear and Barrie are similar players, and Bear has room to grow, Barrie is who he is. Bear is a better defender and just as good an outlet passer, similar quality shot from the point. Bear is the guy you invest in, not Barrie.

I'd bring back Larsson if the AAV and term are commensurate with his role (3RD able to move up in a pinch for injury or slump) going forward.

My concern is that Bear is the next Matt Benning in both skill and Concussions. The defence has also got to get faster so they can exit their own zone Bear can't skate the puck up the ice.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
Pistol Pete
Tippett has had Neal, Chiasson and Archibald on their off wings often. Drai as well during the early part of his coaching tenure, but that's a totally different discussion.

Neal Plays away from the puck so he is able to make it work. Archibald and Chiasson did not do well on their off sides.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
If -- IF -- Nuge won't resign that would be a deal I might have time for.

I try to sign Nuge for $8Mx7 (or less) but if he's not going to go for it then I try to deal him for value. Mantha is in the player cohort I'd be looking to bring back in such a hypothetical deal.

I proposed trading Neal, Holloway and 1st for Mantha. Which would be the realistic ask for Mantha, Forsberg too, being a top prospect and a 2nd/3rd. The pick in this case getting upgraded to take back Neal. The money is even swap. Then resigning RNH and still having money in FA for the defense, 3C, goaltending... whatever is prioritized.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:12 p.m.
My concern is that Bear is the next Matt Benning in both skill and Concussions. The defence has also got to get faster so they can exit their own zone Bear can't skate the puck up the ice.

Bear is already 100x the skill player Benning was (and I liked me some Matty B). At no point in his career was Benning ever a top pairing defenseman who was among leaders in TOI.

Bear's skating deficiencies are overstated. He's not the fastest but he's not slow either. Skating alongside Connor, Leon and Nurse makes most players look slow.
CD282 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.
I proposed trading Neal, Holloway and 1st for Mantha. Which would be the realistic ask for Mantha, Forsberg too, being a top prospect and a 2nd/3rd. The pick in this case getting upgraded to take back Neal. The money is even swap. Then resigning RNH and still having money in FA for the defense, 3C, goaltending... whatever is prioritized.

Neal may not be tradeable in the Covid-cap era.

I like your line of thinking.

I was suggesting an alternative procurement for the same target in a different setting.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.

Do you even watch the games? This is a horrible take.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.

I don't think this makes any sense for Edmonton. Holloway may be the better player already and almost certainly will be in a year or 2, and he's millions cheaper than Mantha. Lavoie is tracking like Mantha, I'd just keep the prospect and the 1st and Neal over a 40-50 point guy like Mantha.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
Pistol Pete
Do you even watch the games? This is a horrible take.

I'm not wrong about the concussions. I realize Bear is a higher talent level but he could easily end up there on the third pairing doing the same things.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
Neal may not be tradeable in the Covid-cap era.

I like your line of thinking.

I was suggesting an alternative procurement for the same target in a different setting.

For most teams you might be right, but Detroit is the exception.
Neal/Mantha is an even $5.7 swap. Meaning Neal’s money is already being accounted for in their cap and Detroit still has a projected $45mil in cap space entering next season. Another $3 mil opens if DeKeyser is bought out or $5mil if he goes LTIR. Following season Nielsen comes off books. And since they aren’t competitive yet, Neal’s contract isn’t prohibitive for them.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:34 p.m.
For most teams you might be right, but Detroit is the exception.
Neal/Mantha is an even $5.7 swap. Meaning Neal’s money is already being accounted for in their cap and Detroit still has a projected $45mil in cap space entering next season. Another $3 mil opens if DeKeyser is bought out or $5mil if he goes LTIR. Following season Nielsen comes off books. And since they aren’t competitive yet, Neal’s contract isn’t prohibitive for them.

Neal for Mantha takes DET farther from contention, not closer.

Nuge is likely what it takes to keep Yz on the phone, even when it's Old Dutch calling.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:45 p.m.
I'm not wrong about the concussions. I realize Bear is a higher talent level but he could easily end up there on the third pairing doing the same things.

No, you're dead wrong. Bear has played top pairing for over a year now, and quite successfully. Talking about him as a 3rd pairing guy/ trade bait shows just how out of touch you are
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:49 p.m.
I don't think this makes any sense for Edmonton. Holloway may be the better player already and almost certainly will be in a year or 2, and he's millions cheaper than Mantha. Lavoie is tracking like Mantha, I'd just keep the prospect and the 1st and Neal over a 40-50 point guy like Mantha.

Holloway may be the better player already? You’re kidding yourself.
Being out west, you’re forgiven for likely seeing a lot less of Mantha. But he’s much more than you’re giving credit.
Your opinion is fine though. I’m not saying it’s wrong if you want to wait for your guys to develop.
Just observing the Edmonton message boards are looking for a top line LW. It’s interesting seeing you guys identify the holes, wanting to upgrade your roster, knowing that you’re getting closer but mostly not willing to give up anything of value to other teams in return. To me, the way the divisions are set up now, you just have to win the division and you’re in the final 4, which for you likely means beating Toronto. No disrespect to Jets.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:52 p.m.
Neal for Mantha takes DET farther from contention, not closer.

Nuge is likely what it takes to keep Yz on the phone, even when it's Old Dutch calling.

That trade is about the futures for Detroit, not Neal. It also helps to stay bad for a top 2022 pick. Nuge is a UFA that wouldn’t sign in Detroit. They’re that bad.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
Holloway may be the better player already? You’re kidding yourself.
Being out west, you’re forgiven for likely seeing a lot less of Mantha. But he’s much more than you’re giving credit.
Your opinion is fine though. I’m not saying it’s wrong if you want to wait for your guys to develop.
Just observing the Edmonton message boards are looking for a top line LW. It’s interesting seeing you guys identify the holes, wanting to upgrade your roster, knowing that you’re getting closer but mostly not willing to give up anything of value to other teams in return. To me, the way the divisions are set up now, you just have to win the division and you’re in the final 4, which for you likely means beating Toronto. No disrespect to Jets.

Holloway is well ahead of Larkin at this point.

Draft+1, NCAA
Holloway: 16, 8-21-29 +8 (1.81 P/GP)
Larkin: 35, 15-32-47 +18 (1.34 P/GP)

Draft+2, NHL
Larkin: 80, 23-22-45 +11 (0.56 P/GP)

This is Holloway's floor next year IMO. That's already a better player than Mantha and his ceiling is higher - and he'll carry a cap hit of about $900k for the next 3 years.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 6:59 p.m.
That trade is about the futures for Detroit, not Neal. It also helps to stay bad for a top 2022 pick. Nuge is a UFA that wouldn’t sign in Detroit. They’re that bad.

I guess I just don't see Yz building like that. He certainly didn't in TBY. Neal has too long of a contract. DET can still be bad with Mantha and a core of quality players but no run support. Look no further than the Decade of Darkness Oilers for proof.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 7:01 p.m.
Holloway is well ahead of Larkin at this point.

Draft+1, NCAA
Holloway: 16, 8-21-29 +8 (1.81 P/GP)
Larkin: 35, 15-32-47 +18 (1.34 P/GP)

Draft+2, NHL
Larkin: 80, 23-22-45 +11 (0.56 P/GP)

This is Holloway's floor next year IMO. That's already a better player than Mantha and his ceiling is higher - and he'll carry a cap hit of about $900k for the next 3 years.

That's optimistic.

I like Holloway but he has yet to play a single game in EDM let alone prove himself better than Larkin or Mantha in the NHL. Prospects don't develop in straight lines. Having said that, he's one of the few prospects I don't trade, unless you're clearly winning the transaction.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 8:04 p.m.
I guess I just don't see Yz building like that. He certainly didn't in TBY. Neal has too long of a contract. DET can still be bad with Mantha and a core of quality players but no run support. Look no further than the Decade of Darkness Oilers for proof.

Tampa already had Stamkos and Hedman when Yzerman came in. They weren’t picking in top 10 and the timeline was ahead of where we’re at. Neal only has two years. It won’t matter for us. And that’s exactly my point, we’re terrible with Mantha and terrible without. He’s a good player with his prime years getting wasted, better to ship him off for a player that better lines up with our timeline.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll