SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Laval Rocket game #5

Feb. 22, 2021 at 9:55 p.m.
Habs4ever
Laval should have won 8 to 2. In 2nd period alone shots were 21 to 5 But Moose goalie kept them in the game. Guhle, Fairbrother and Schueneman were the best d-men. Ouellett is not doing a whole lot, he is playing decent but nothing spectacular. Demchenko played his first game. He wasn't too bad. He follows play well. He gave up a juicy rebound at beginning of 3rd period to make the game 2-2. Guhle looked good for his 1st AHL game.

Up front Ylonen is a real special player. His vision, hockey IQ and creativity is special. Vejdemo was good. Young C. Hillis played his first game, he was not too noticeable but did make two creative plays with the biscuit. A Moose player hit Harvey-Pinard into the boards and Veilleux came over and dropped the gloves. He connected with a hard right and cut the Moose player and fight was over. Poehling was not as noticeable nor consistent as previous game. Lynch is good on faceoff's. The big Russian A. Khisamutdinov needs work but I like him. He has good hands for his size. Probably his best game so far.

Final score Moose 3 Laval 2 overtime!
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:24 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Habs4ever
Laval should have won 8 to 2. In 2nd period alone shots were 21 to 5 But Moose goalie kept them in the game. Guhle, Fairbrother and Schueneman were the best d-men. Ouellett is not doing a whole lot, he is playing decent but nothing spectacular. Demchenko played his first game. He wasn't too bad. He follows play well. He gave up a juicy rebound at beginning of 3rd period to make the game 2-2. Guhle looked good for his 1st AHL game.

Up front Ylonen is a real special player. His vision, hockey IQ and creativity is special. Vejdemo was good. Young C. Hillis played his first game, he was not too noticeable but did make two creative plays with the biscuit. A Moose player hit Harvey-Pinard into the boards and Veilleux came over and dropped the gloves. He connected with a hard right and cut the Moose player and fight was over. Poehling was not as noticeable nor consistent as previous game. Lynch is good on faceoff's. The big Russian A. Khisamutdinov needs work but I like him. He has good hands for his size. Probably his best game so far.

Final score Moose 3 Laval 2 overtime!

Good to hear about Ylonen. Best case scenario Ylonen and Caufield successfully replace Tatar + Armia next year. I'm hoping Armia signs a cheap contract so we can keep one of them up and send the other down. At this point, I'm hoping Tatar walks (or better yet we trade him for a boatload) and we sign Armia to a 3-4 year contract around 2-2.5 Million
Feb. 23, 2021 at 11:17 a.m.
Habs4ever
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Good to hear about Ylonen. Best case scenario Ylonen and Caufield successfully replace Tatar + Armia next year. I'm hoping Armia signs a cheap contract so we can keep one of them up and send the other down. At this point, I'm hoping Tatar walks (or better yet we trade him for a boatload) and we sign Armia to a 3-4 year contract around 2-2.5 Million

The thing about Armia is his game disappears for several games, then he has an amazing 1 to 4 games, then disappears again. With his size if he hit like Anderson but he does not seem to have any nasty to his game. He seems like the nicest guy in the world.

Within two years both Caufield and Ylonen are in Habs line up. Maybe not both next year but the year after they both should be. So that is two bodies that need to come off. They must play in top 9 for their skill set. So 4th line is excluded. Of the 9 other players 3 of them are Centres. Leaving 6 wingers. Of those 6 wingers, which two come off the roster to open the door for those 2 ? keep in mind Anderson, Gally and Tofolli have long term deals. Now down to 3 wingers, Tatar, Armia and Drouin. Drouin is the youngest of the 3, so he probably gets kept. So you are correct Tatar and Armia are probably the two that will be leaving.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 11:25 a.m.
WentWughes
The thing about Armia is his game disappears for several games, then he has an amazing 1 to 4 games, then disappears again. With his size if he hit like Anderson but he does not seem to have any nasty to his game. He seems like the nicest guy in the world.

Within two years both Caufield and Ylonen are in Habs line up. Maybe not both next year but the year after they both should be. So that is two bodies that need to come off. They must play in top 9 for their skill set. So 4th line is excluded. Of the 9 other players 3 of them are Centres. Leaving 6 wingers. Of those 6 wingers, which two come off the roster to open the door for those 2 ? keep in mind Anderson, Gally and Tofolli have long term deals. Now down to 3 wingers, Tatar, Armia and Drouin. Drouin is the youngest of the 3, so he probably gets kept. So you are correct Tatar and Armia are probably the two that will be leaving.

I have no problem with Armia playing on the 4th line. I think that's where he plays best.

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Poehling-Danault-Caufield
Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

Obviously those lines aren't perfect and a few players could switch around, but that's ideally what they look like next year. If we end up letting Armia walk, and somebody in our top 9 gets injured, I don't see a clear replacement level player that could do as well as Armia has when he was given the chance. We could even keep Tatar and replace him on the 3rd line with Poehling and give Poehling another year in the AHL or keep Tatar and let Armia walk and put Poehling on the 4th line.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Habs4ever
I have no problem with Armia playing on the 4th line. I think that's where he plays best.

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Poehling-Danault-Caufield
Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

Obviously those lines aren't perfect and a few players could switch around, but that's ideally what they look like next year. If we end up letting Armia walk, and somebody in our top 9 gets injured, I don't see a clear replacement level player that could do as well as Armia has when he was given the chance. We could even keep Tatar and replace him on the 3rd line with Poehling and give Poehling another year in the AHL or keep Tatar and let Armia walk and put Poehling on the 4th line.

I am actually going over the roster for 2 years from now and some hard choices will need to be made. Also, I have to be careful because some players look really good in the AHL but it is not the NHL. So would there strong play translate the same at NHL level?
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
WentWughes
I am actually going over the roster for 2 years from now and some hard choices will need to be made. Also, I have to be careful because some players look really good in the AHL but it is not the NHL. So would there strong play translate the same at NHL level?

The reason I'm saying only one should come up is because exactly what you are saying. I don't know if their play will translate. It's Ylonen's first year in North America and I think we should over ripen him. I don't like Caufield being in the AHL because he already has an Elite shot in the NHL and considering the goons in the AHL, I don't want to risk him being targeted. I'm hoping Seattle does us a favor and takes someone with Cap (Like Allen or Edmundson or Chiarot) so it gives Bergevin some flexibility to work with.

Trading Byron would also help immensely.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:48 p.m.
Habs4ever
The reason I'm saying only one should come up is because exactly what you are saying. I don't know if their play will translate. It's Ylonen's first year in North America and I think we should over ripen him. I don't like Caufield being in the AHL because he already has an Elite shot in the NHL and considering the goons in the AHL, I don't want to risk him being targeted. I'm hoping Seattle does us a favor and takes someone with Cap (Like Allen or Edmundson or Chiarot) so it gives Bergevin some flexibility to work with.

Trading Byron would also help immensely.

I just posted my roster but it is for 2 years from now. So this adds 2 years to Suze, KK, Poe, Cauf, Ylo, Evans, Guhle, Romie. So you have a really good team. The issue I am seeing is Habs have two rosters. Web's, Price, Petry, then a ton of good players between 19 and 27 years old. People are saying they should go for it this year. If they do, you know the other teams are asking for the young studs we have. So which nucleus do you build around and go for it?
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
WentWughes
I just posted my roster but it is for 2 years from now. So this adds 2 years to Suze, KK, Poe, Cauf, Ylo, Evans, Guhle, Romie. So you have a really good team. The issue I am seeing is Habs have two rosters. Web's, Price, Petry, then a ton of good players between 19 and 27 years old. People are saying they should go for it this year. If they do, you know the other teams are asking for the young studs we have. So which nucleus do you build around and go for it?

If we look at any recent cup teams, they always have two groups of players. Veterans and younger up and coming players. It's tough, but I don't see Montreal coming anywhere close to a cup unless Price someone starts playing like Price again. He's an anchor.

If at all possible, we build around the younger team, but we have too many contracts that we wouldn't be able to trade to be able to achieve that.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:20 p.m.
Habs4ever
If we look at any recent cup teams, they always have two groups of players. Veterans and younger up and coming players. It's tough, but I don't see Montreal coming anywhere close to a cup unless Price someone starts playing like Price again. He's an anchor.

If at all possible, we build around the younger team, but we have too many contracts that we wouldn't be able to trade to be able to achieve that.

They should make the playoff's. Finishing 2nd or 3rd. They have the team to come out of Canadian division. Two things need to occur, one Price gets hot at right time, two, Matthews goes cold at right time! lol
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:31 p.m.
WentWughes
They should make the playoff's. Finishing 2nd or 3rd. They have the team to come out of Canadian division. Two things need to occur, one Price gets hot at right time, two, Matthews goes cold at right time! lol

Yeah I have no doubt Montreal will make the playoffs this year. If Price plays like he did last year in the playoffs, I honestly think we'd be up there in cup contenders.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
Habs4ever
Yeah I have no doubt Montreal will make the playoffs this year. If Price plays like he did last year in the playoffs, I honestly think we'd be up there in cup contenders.

Cup contenders. I'm letting that sink in! I have not heard that in over two decades!
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:04 p.m.
WentWughes
Cup contenders. I'm letting that sink in! I have not heard that in over two decades!

That's a big if considering how poorly Price has played. The problem is, we don't have any superstars to take over the game, so we need everybody clicking if we wanted a legit shot.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll