NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the New York Rangers
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,550,000$1,550,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,425,000$2,425,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
G
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
Let’s Go Rangers
No chance we give up Laf. If they ask for Laf, Kakko, or Fox, we hang up the phone. I think Kravtsov instead of Laf, throw in Tony D, and Rangers take on Skinner's salary and it's a deal.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Shesterkinisgod
No chance we give up Laf. If they ask for Laf, Kakko, or Fox, we hang up the phone. I think Kravtsov instead of Laf, throw in Tony D, and Rangers take on Skinner's salary and it's a deal.

You can’t get without giving
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:05 p.m.
it all depends on how Lafrenière does this year. If he plays like Kakko from last year Sabres aren't making this deal way too risky.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:05 p.m.

Now that I actually see it, I am a little more OK with it. Eichel is a position of need. Kreider and Panarin still your Top 2 LW. Probably allows us to resign Buch. One of Kravtsov, Pajuniemi or Barron could play at 3LW.

Didn't hurt to post as much as I thought it would.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Banned

So I’m assuming u would trade Panarin for eichel?
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Quoting: Sabreshockey53
it all depends on how Lafrenière does this year. If he plays like Kakko from last year Sabres aren't making this deal way too risky.

He was just the consensus 1st Overall Pick. Getting his feet under him. Buffalo would not turn him down.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:10 p.m.
Quoting: Shakabakes
He was just the consensus 1st Overall Pick. Getting his feet under him. Buffalo would not turn him down.

If he continues to struggle Buffalo wouldn't make this deal. Way too risky to trade an elite center for magic beans again, they already did that with ROR.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:16 p.m.
If he continues to struggle Buffalo wouldn't make this deal. Way too risky to trade an elite center for magic beans again, they already did that with ROR.

Naw Laf is going to be an absolute force. I’d consider making the deal, might try to wiggle some more (obviously) but as a base, this is what Buf would be looking for. A Laf - Cozens - Quinn line in 2/3 years is scary.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
Banned
Not saying Laf won't be a good player, I think he will be terrific but it's clear his hype was overblown. Eichel is a legit top 10 centre and would make the Rangers a powerhouse. They should absolutely do this deal.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:22 p.m.

Simply put you're just not going to be willing to pay the cost. I say this as neither a Sabres nor Rangers fan, but the acquisition cost for a star franchise C in their prime (the best the Rangers will have seen iirc since Messier) will be astronomical.

Unless they're morons the way Boston gave away Jumbo Joe, the cost will be something like

Three top futures picks (that's blue chip prospects or high firsts) some more lower prospects and some young players

So something like:

KK
K Miller
Chytil
Another good prospect/young NHLer
An unprotected first
And perhaps a couple seconds

It's an insane cost, but a franchise C in their prime has an insane cost.

I would only consider paying it if I thought it would put me over the top
sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 12:47 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
Simply put you're just not going to be willing to pay the cost. I say this as neither a Sabres nor Rangers fan, but the acquisition cost for a star franchise C in their prime (the best the Rangers will have seen iirc since Messier) will be astronomical.

Unless they're morons the way Boston gave away Jumbo Joe, the cost will be something like

Three top futures picks (that's blue chip prospects or high firsts) some more lower prospects and some young players

So something like:

KK
K Miller
Chytil
Another good prospect/young NHLer
An unprotected first
And perhaps a couple seconds

It's an insane cost, but a franchise C in their prime has an insane cost.

I would only consider paying it if I thought it would put me over the top

And also like Messier, the Rangers would acquire Eichel for a package that is nowhere near what this proposal is.

Even if he truly is worth all of this, teams don't completely wipe out their future team for 1 player. This isn't the NBA. Sabres will never get whatever otherworldly amount of assets that they think he is worth.

Sabres still do very well with Laffy (or Kakko) and another potential Top 5 Pick.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
This can be discussed, but perhaps another part was needed.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: SalamiCheese

No discussion to be had. This the Quality over Quantity that Sabres fans have been complaining for. Last year's Top Overall Pick, with what could be another Top 5 Pick this year.

And that's only depending what the market provides. If Byfield and Zegras and some of these other Top Prospects don't get offered, then that could tone down these offers.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 1:39 p.m.
No discussion to be had. This the Quality over Quantity that Sabres fans have been complaining for. Last year's Top Overall Pick, with what could be another Top 5 Pick this year.

And that's only depending what the market provides. If Byfield and Zegras and some of these other Top Prospects don't get offered, then that could tone down these offers.

I do not agree, the demand will be huge, we could easily take cap dumps so that there are no problems with the cap. Lafreniere + 1st is solid, but one more prospect would probably be needed, maybe not too strong.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:37 p.m.
And also like Messier, the Rangers would acquire Eichel for a package that is nowhere near what this proposal is.

Even if he truly is worth all of this, teams don't completely wipe out their future team for 1 player. This isn't the NBA. Sabres will never get whatever otherworldly amount of assets that they think he is worth.

Sabres still do very well with Laffy (or Kakko) and another potential Top 5 Pick.

Check out the Lindros trades way back when.

In regards to Messier: he was traded for at 30 not 24. Huge difference.

And the return was still a lesser franchise C in Nicholls and a top prospect in Rice.

I doubt the Sabres trade him for the record.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Check out the Lindros trades way back when.

In regards to Messier: he was traded for at 30 not 24. Huge difference.

And the return was still a lesser franchise C in Nicholls and a top prospect in Rice.

I doubt the Sabres trade him for the record.

Sabres have no reason to keep him. They won't be any better next year after Hall and Staal leave, and they start moving other pieces like Risto, Miller, and Montour. There is no purpose to him being there, only to become more disgruntled. As good as he is, there is nothing immediately around them to right the ship. Best time to move him now before the NMC kicks in.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 4:27 p.m.
Sabres have no reason to keep him. They won't be any better next year after Hall and Staal leave, and they start moving other pieces like Risto, Miller, and Montour. There is no purpose to him being there, only to become more disgruntled. As good as he is, there is nothing immediately around them to right the ship. Best time to move him now before the NMC kicks in.

I disagree he's 24. He's got his entire prime in front of him.

But if he doesn't want to be there then yes they have to trade him and yes that lowers his value.

That being said trading him for Laf just doesn't make sense. Not that Laf doesn't have a lot of value it's that building a team around a superstar winger with no C is next to impossible and dumb. They're best together.

So you said

Laf
1st
2nd
Strome

I said
KK
Miller
Chytil
Another good young player
1st
A couple seconds

Laf is worth a tonne

For arguments same let's say he's worth KK, Miller and a second

So with those pieces taken out for comparison

Your trade is

The above + Strome + a first + a second
Mine is
The above + Chytil + another good young player + a first + a second

Were they really so different? By another good young player I meant someone with Chytil value or a little less.

Or do you not think Laf carries that much value?
Feb. 23, 2021 at 4:45 p.m.
I disagree he's 24. He's got his entire prime in front of him.

But if he doesn't want to be there then yes they have to trade him and yes that lowers his value.

That being said trading him for Laf just doesn't make sense. Not that Laf doesn't have a lot of value it's that building a team around a superstar winger with no C is next to impossible and dumb. They're best together.

So you said

Laf
1st
2nd
Strome

I said
KK
Miller
Chytil
Another good young player
1st
A couple seconds

Laf is worth a tonne

For arguments same let's say he's worth KK, Miller and a second

So with those pieces taken out for comparison

Your trade is

The above + Strome + a first + a second
Mine is
The above + Chytil + another good young player + a first + a second

Were they really so different? By another good young player I meant someone with Chytil value or a little less.

Or do you not think Laf carries that much value?

Between Lafreniere carrying a ton of value all his own, plus Buffalo being at a disadvantage by trading a disgruntled superstar, this brings the value "down".

"Down" in the sense that it won't match the level of the trade you proposed, but still some premier pieces all their own.

The Sabres have Cozens as a future C. Pair him with Laffy and go from there. Buffalo has needs practically everywhere. Even if it isn't another C, they can definitely make use with Lafreniere.
BCAPP and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 8:02 p.m.
Between Lafreniere carrying a ton of value all his own, plus Buffalo being at a disadvantage by trading a disgruntled superstar, this brings the value "down".

"Down" in the sense that it won't match the level of the trade you proposed, but still some premier pieces all their own.

The Sabres have Cozens as a future C. Pair him with Laffy and go from there. Buffalo has needs practically everywhere. Even if it isn't another C, they can definitely make use with Lafreniere.

I see your point. I just personally think a potential generational wing is a unique piece as he's super valuable as he's potentially generational, but the flipside is you're likely to waste him without a c to pair with him.

Think about Nash. Imagine Kane without Toews. Even a guy like Kovalchuk I think was held back without a stud C

So it cozens can be that then sure. Otherwise he's both too valuable in general but not valuable enough for them.

Any team that wants him and wants to pay the asking price which is appropriately absurdly high should have their 1c of the fire in place. Just my team building perspective.
Shakabakes and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 11:09 a.m.
I find it interesting that some view Strome as a throw in to balance the cap.
Only Olofsson and Reinhart have more goals than he.
With Buffalo floundering in nearly last place, let's make a deal.
Make it a 2021 second, throw in DeAngelo as well to balance the cap and maybe Buffalo can resurrect his career by moving him to RW.
A risk for Buffalo but IMO a change is needed.

Quoting: AndrewLadd
You can’t get without giving
I agree, Jack is a sure think, Lafrenière is still a prospect.
While that is true, what happens when Hall, Staal, Montour and Ullmark leave next year. It is time to cut bait IMO.
I agree. I discussed NYR offering 2020 and 2021 first round picks for Jack with my son. He thought it was a good deal for both teams.
Quoting: SalamiCheese
Yes but not much it is close as it is.
I see your point. I just personally think a potential generational wing is a unique piece as he's super valuable as he's potentially generational, but the flipside is you're likely to waste him without a c to pair with him.
Think about Nash. Imagine Kane without Toews. Even a guy like Kovalchuk I think was held back without a stud C
So it cozens can be that then sure. Otherwise he's both too valuable in general but not valuable enough for them.
Any team that wants him and wants to pay the asking price which is appropriately absurdly high should have their 1c of the fire in place. Just my team building perspective.
Very good point, Lafrenière and Cozens would be a great pairing for year to come.
Shakabakes, Bostonbruins and GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
I find it interesting that some view Strome as a throw in to balance the cap.
Only Olofsson and Reinhart have more goals than he.
With Buffalo floundering in nearly last place, let's make a deal.
Make it a 2021 second, throw in DeAngelo as well to balance the cap and maybe Buffalo can resurrect his career by moving him to RW.
A risk for Buffalo but IMO a change is needed.

I agree, Jack is a sure think, Lafrenière is still a prospect. While that is true, what happens when Hall, Staal, Montour and Ullmark leave next year. It is time to cut bait IMO. I agree. I discussed NYR offering 2020 and 2021 first round picks for Jack with my son. He thought it was a good deal for both teams. Yes but not much it is close as it is. Very good point, Lafrenière and Cozens would be a great pairing for year to come.

Whenever someone else mentions Strome, the words "Held up by Panarin" pop out next. So no one takes him seriously without the Breadman. I personally think it was more about the Oilers messing him up, but that's just me.

Deangelo is a big risk, but I think it would be one worth taking. He has the Offensive skill. He knows he has to be on his best behavior, as this is his final straw. And he isn't the center piece of the deal. So as an added extra to whatever Picks or Prospects they get, it would be worth a roll of the dice.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll