SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Ottawa Senators

Bring up Forms

Feb. 23, 2021 at 8:33 p.m.
KFTW
CapFriendly Bot: Thread moved to appropriate forum
Feb. 23, 2021 at 8:43 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
id like to bring up forms but i think this is finally logan brown time if stepan is out (please god not anisimov), nick paul has been great this year i wouldnt drop him to 4c
csick liked this.
Feb. 23, 2021 at 8:48 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
I know this isn't meant to be the goal of the post but what is Josh Brown's game like? Is he any good?
Feb. 23, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
I know this isn't meant to be the goal of the post but what is Josh Brown's game like? Is he any good?

I think @Claesson4Norris would be better suited for this question haha
Feb. 23, 2021 at 11:53 p.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

It's difficult to evaluate what he has been thus far. Watching him, I felt that he was a fairly solid DFD, with solid positioning and a good ability to box out in front. The problem is that his underlying numbers were absolutely atrocious. Now some of that was definitely compounded by the fact that during the stretch where he was actually playing, the entire team was absolutely horrific, but he definitely contributed to them being awful.

The issue was that they played him with a very similar style of player in Braydon Coburn, who is absolutely terrible. Both players like to be the guy who hangs back to defend, and defers to the D partner to to break the puck out. Playing both together meant that once the puck got into the zone, it was there to stay, which meant they were going to get hammered.

If I had to guess, his terrible results aren't entirely indicative of his play, but more a reflection of a bad defensive combination as well as a team that played like an ECHL team for most of the time he was in the lineup. I Don't think it's entirely unreasonable to think that he can be an effective 3rd pair D, but for him to be really effective, he needs a Dman who can move the puck up ice. He can do the defensive grunt work down low and in front of the net, but he's not a reliable breakout option at all. I think there's a world where he works as a good compliment for a Victor Mete type.

The Problem he faces is that as it stands, there's virtually no chance he ever gets back into the lineup for Ottawa. The right side is completely locked. Zaitsev has been competant this year and is DJ's most trust defensive player, Gudbranson similarly has full faith of the coaches, and Zub has been the team's best Dman not names Chabot since the first game he got in. If it were up to me, I'd give Brown a shot in Gudbranson's role, because I think Gud has made some serious mistakes and should be held accountable. I suspect that his results look wildly different with Brannstrom than with Coburn.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll