Forums/Armchair-GM

What they lack

Created by: deys3232
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 23, 2021
Published: Feb. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am not a Habs fan at all, but watching this team frustrates me so much. We all know what they are capable of and what they can be. However they always seems to have a couple glaring holes that will cost them in the long run

This season it has very much been Carey Price (and finishing to an extent)

I know all the Habs fans want to hop on the #firethecoach bandwagon but I do not think it is that simple for Bergevin. Generally most GMs have 1 chance to fire a coach. Bergevin has already played that card. There might be questions from management if he tries to play it again. Probably along the lines of "why do you get to shuffle coaches" and "why should he go before you"

Now even if these questions are not valid (I think Bergevin has done an okay job so far) they will most likely be asked especiallyon a team like the Habs where its all about the winning and the culture.

So here are the four things the Habs (Bergervin) will have to decide on if he wants to make this team great

-What happens to Danault?

Is he staying? Is he leaving? Can you extend him now? Why did he decline the offer from the summer?
Philip Danault has been the Habs 1C for a while now, and he has been quite effective. He might not have the high point totals or flashy skillset like other top line centres, but he is definitely a top 30 centre in the NHL
Even looking at his raw 5v5 point totals will tell you that, infact over the past 2 seasons, Danault ranks 29th in 5v5 points, that is more than that of "top line centres" like Mat Barzal, Sebastian Aho, Elias Pettersson and Mika Zibanejad" He isnt even a one dimentional offensive juggernaut like those guys. He is one of the best two way centres in the NHL. His defense is really good considering he is used in a hard matchup role and manages to shut a lot of great players down while still producing at 5v5
Yes he struggles on special teams, but he more than makes up for it with his amazing 5v5 play

-Is Carey Price going to finish his contract here?

The logical answer is yes, he has done a lot for this city. However his play has fallen off a cliff over the past 3 -4 seasons. You can blame that on injuries or the lack of a proper blueline all you want. The fact is Carey Price is not a top 20 goalie in the league anymore. (I would argue not even top 30 but Habs fans would want my head on a spike) A situation I can very much see playing out is Carey Price taking on the Marc-Andre Fleury role on the Kraken. A formerly elite goalie that is loved by almost all the fans on his team (and in MAF's case around the league) Both old and regressing. If Price is willing to do it, I dont see why Bergevin would not want to do it. Allen has played great and he should be able to find a good partner for him in free agency next summer with all the goalies on the market. Obviously If I am Seattle, I do not want to take on that awful contract without some retention and a sweetener. The Habs have a boatload of extra picks at this draft. I dont see why they wouldnt be willing to move on from one or two to get that contract off their hands

-Are Josh Anderson and Jonathan Drouin for real?

All 3 have gotten off to really hot starts this season (along with the rest of the team). But the stats (in Andersoncases) show that they probably wont keep this up. If Anderson does somehow defy all the odds and becomes a 30-40 goal scorer each year, then that deal is amazing, however if he regresses back to Columbus form and becomes a 3rd line grinder, then its a terrible deal. Anderson's SH% is unsistainably high this year while the rest of his underlying numbers look almost identical to those he had on CBJ. Drouin has hit another level this year, it seems like, everything about him is coming together like it was supposed to when he was first traded to the Habs. Is this just early season luck or is he finally becoming the player Bergevin once hoped he would become? I guess only time will tell on that one but it will definitely be interesting to watch.

Is Victor Mete going to play or not?

A lot of people will remember Mete as the guy who couldnt score a goal for the longest time. And while that is true, he brings a lot more to the table than a weak shot. He has been the Canadiens' 7th defenseman for most of the season, occassionally getting into some games in place of Brett Kulak who has been okay himself. Mete is a fantastic puck mover who is good defensively and not a black hole on offense. Yes he is quite a bit smaller than Joel Edmundson, however his impact on the team is undeniable. Mete has been the Habs' 3rd or 4th best defenseman over the past 2 years in my opinion. Definitely more impactful than the overpaid plug Edmundson. Yeah he brings grit, but he isnt helping the team score any goals or prevent any. He is just kinda there. While Mete does not score goals himself, his teammates do when they are with him. They are also way better defensively when playing with Mete rather than when playing with Edmundson. Alex Romanov the rookie has not been amazing, His potential is sky high, however right now, he has been a passenger. Not helping the team do anything much on the ice other than generate scoring chances but not being able to finish since that is what the Habs do. Generate a ton of chances but not finish.

Whatever Bergevin decides to do, the future looks bright for this team. I dont think they will have too much success this season, despite the hot start, but they will definitely be a team to watch for in the next 5 years. Would not be shocked to see them make another ECF run again only to have it cut short by an opposing forward crashing into their goalie who was having a bad playoff run already.

TL;DR Bergevin has a lot of work to do and a lot of decisions to make.
Also here is my ideal lineup for the playoffs assuming everyone is healthy
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$73,222,142$0$2,925,000$8,277,858

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$735,000$735,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000 ($325,000$325K$325,000$325K)
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$771,666$771,666 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Special Teams

Power Play 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:21 a.m.
Hockee
Yes I realize Its long I needed somewhere to let out my thoughts. I have always considered starting a subtrack, but never found the time or consistency to do one full time
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:41 a.m.
Banned
we're lacking refs on our side
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:50 a.m.
Danault is certainly an interesting situation. If you believe that KK is ready make the jump to 2C. If you feel he is you let Danault walk. I think because of the NMC Price stays in MTL for the full contract or gets bought out. I would love it if Price could go to Seattle because it seems that he's declining. I think with Anderson it all depends on his health if he can stay healthy with the tools he has he can be an impact 25-30 goal scorer every year and make that contract look really good. With Drouin, I'm very torn I want to believe that this Drouin is here to stay but his past play suggests that he's not. I personally like Mete and would like to keep him. He's our best puck moving defencemen outside of maybe Jeff Petry. I don't he'll ever be a high end top 4 defender but I still want him on our team. The future is indeed bright for MTL but Bergevin has a lot of tough decisions to make at the TDL, expansion draft, and in free agency.
deys3232 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:52 a.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Danault and Mete i would trade.
Price I wld pay seattle wtv they wanted for them to take him in the exp. draft.
and Anderson is for real, drouin not bloody likely
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:54 a.m.
Hockee
Quoting: MTLFAN27
Danault is certainly an interesting situation. If you believe that KK is ready make the jump to 2C. If you feel he is you let Danault walk. I think because of the NMC Price stays in MTL for the full contract or gets bought out. I would love it if Price could go to Seattle because it seems that he's declining. I think with Anderson it all depends on his health if he can stay healthy with the tools he has he can be an impact 25-30 goal scorer every year and make that contract look really good. With Drouin, I'm very torn I want to believe that this Drouin is here to stay but his past play suggests that he's not. I personally like Mete and would like to keep him. He's our best puck moving defencemen outside of maybe Jeff Petry. I don't he'll ever be a high end top 4 defender but I still want him on our team. The future is indeed bright for MTL but Bergevin has a lot of tough decisions to make at the TDL, expansion draft, and in free agency.

Personally, I dont think Suzuki is ready for the 1C role yet. Maybe give him another year or two behind someone else so that he solidifies himself as that guy. He can be there for sure, I just do not want to rush him
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:03 a.m.
Quoting: deys3232
Personally, I dont think Suzuki is ready for the 1C role yet. Maybe give him another year or two behind someone else so that he solidifies himself as that guy. He can be there for sure, I just do not want to rush him

I would love that too. I don't want to rush him either. I'm excited about what he could become.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:21 a.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Quoting: deys3232

Quoting: MTLFAN27
I would love that too. I don't want to rush him either. I'm excited about what he could become.

Agreed, altho he looks great most nights, he still has his growing pains and looks like a sophomore slump is starting to settle in. I wonder how a guy like Wennberg wld have fit in on this team, as he was easily gettable. He seems like he cld have been a decent stop gap for however long it'll take for Suzuki to fully take the reigns.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 9:45 a.m.
BergevinLostOnlyOneT
First part didnt aged well🤣. Nice explanation
deys3232 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 10:14 a.m.
Hockee
Quoting: WhatCouldBeMyName
First part didnt aged well🤣. Nice explanation

Aged wonderfully
WhatCouldBeMyName liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question: