Staal Montour Nemeth

Created by: Richard88
Team: 2020-21 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2021
Published: Feb. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
COL
  1. Montour, Brandon ($1,925,000 retained)
  2. Staal, Eric
Additional Details:
Avs get a rental 3C and Dman and some cap flexibility.
BUF
  1. Compher, J.T.
  2. Graves, Ryan
Additional Details:
This trade balances the LHD/RHD ratio for Buffalo, especially with McCabe injured.
COL
  1. Nemeth, Patrik ($1,500,000 retained)
DET
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (COL)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$76,103,887$0$5,000,000$5,396,113
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 5
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 4
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$0$0
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,925,000$1,925,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
Taxi Squad
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
C
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 24, 2021 at 6:50 a.m.
rather have picks/prospects than 2 players eligible for the expansion draft and who are under contract next year for a healthy amount of money

If we are trading staal its because we never get back in the race, at which point why do we care about replacing mccabe for injury?
Lenny7 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 7:32 a.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
rather have picks/prospects than 2 players eligible for the expansion draft and who are under contract next year for a healthy amount of money

If we are trading staal its because we never get back in the race, at which point why do we care about replacing mccabe for injury?

Fair points. I saw a Buffalo fan on Hfboards being really keen on Graves and wanting to do a a Montour/Graves trade, and whilst that wouldn't be good for Colorado I though I'd expand it a little bit to find a trade that would work in that scenario. Your points are certainly valid though.

These wouldn't necessarily be short-term fixes for this season for Buffalo, even if it's slightly motivated by McCabe's injury. Buffalo have an inbalance of RHD/LHD's and Graves would be a good pickup as someone who can play at 2LHD or 3LHD. There's also a chance that McCabe signs elsewhere in UFA, though I'll assume here that he stays.

Dahlin --- Ristolainen
McCabe - Jokiharju
Graves -- Miller

I'm aware that Buffalo have Samuelsson and Johnson on the way, but if they want to be competitive sooner rather than later they need to be letting those prospects marinate another couple of years as they're still only 20 and 19 respectively. Graves' 2 year term would line up perfectly with those prospects' timeline.

If this isn't the right deal for Buffalo though then that's completely fine. Avs would be more than happy to just keep Graves as he's a key part of the PK (ranked 2nd in the league right now) and without Graves we don't have a Dman to expose to Seattle unless Johnson waives his NMC so it might create unneccessary complications.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 7:43 a.m.
Quoting: Richard88
Fair points. I saw a Buffalo fan on Hfboards being really keen on Graves and wanting to do a a Montour/Graves trade, and whilst that wouldn't be good for Colorado I though I'd expand it a little bit to find a trade that would work in that scenario. Your points are certainly valid though.

These wouldn't necessarily be short-term fixes for this season for Buffalo, even if it's slightly motivated by McCabe's injury. Buffalo have an inbalance of RHD/LHD's and Graves would be a good pickup as someone who can play at 2LHD or 3LHD. There's also a chance that McCabe signs elsewhere in UFA, though I'll assume here that he stays.

Dahlin --- Ristolainen
McCabe - Jokiharju
Graves -- Miller

I'm aware that Buffalo have Samuelsson and Johnson on the way, but if they want to be competitive sooner rather than later they need to be letting those prospects marinate another couple of years as they're still only 20 and 19 respectively. Graves' 2 year term would line up perfectly with those prospects' timeline.

If this isn't the right deal for Buffalo though then that's completely fine. Avs would be more than happy to just keep Graves as he's a key part of the PK (ranked 2nd in the league right now) and without Graves we don't have a Dman to expose to Seattle unless Johnson waives his NMC so it might create unneccessary complications.

All 6 of those defensemen would be eligible for expansion
Feb. 24, 2021 at 7:54 a.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
All 6 of those defensemen would be eligible for expansion

4+4: Eichel, Reinhardt, Skinner (nmc), Olofsson; Dahlin, Ristolainen, Graves, Jokiharju.

McCabe is an UFA so wouldn't have to be protected to be resigned. Hall will get moved at the deadline, and there aren't really any other forwards you'd feel too sad about losing. Miller would be taken, but is that really that big a loss with his $3.85m caphit?

You're right though, it probably makes more sense for Buffalo to move their rentals for futures instead of contracts, unless they really want Graves a lot (which is the premise of this trade as mentioned above).

They could alternatively wait for Seattle to take Graves from Colorado and then trade for him, but then they'd be moving picks for him instead of just rentals who have zero value beyond this season anyways.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 8:48 a.m.
Shibbal18

Dahlin --- Ristolainen
McCabe - Jokiharju
Graves -- Miller

The only thing that I dont like is taking on the cap. Im not that high on Graves. Sabres fans are probably looking at his numbers last year thinking this is a steal. I wouldnt protect him, which may actually be fine for the draft as I wouldnt worry about losing him. But I think I'd rather have a pick/prospect as well. I like Compher a lot, just cant protect him in the draft unless they do 7/3
Richard88 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 9:02 a.m.
Buffbry
Wings accept
Richard88 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:41 p.m.

Dahlin --- Ristolainen
McCabe - Jokiharju
Graves -- Miller

I like your posts and how you are willing to listen to other comments.
I do not say that so you will accept my input only that you are very reasonable.
Here's the deal, both Little and Shibball hated Botterill so any player he picked up is worthless than a bucket of spit.
In fact Montour has and is playing well.
Two years age after being traded to Buffalo he was the Sabres best defenseman for the final 20 games of the season.
Last year only Ristolainen played more minutes per game than he and this year only Dahlin and Ristolainen play more than he. Plus he had the best +/- of all skaters last season.
This year of all defensemen he has the highest 5 on 5 SV%
While Staal for Compher may be a close deal (what is up with J.T. this year) Montour for Graves is not even close.
Bostonbruins and GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 3:19 p.m.
exo2769
Out of the box idea here. Go get Luke Glendening form DET. I think he's one of the more under-rated TDL acquisitions of the year...whomever gets him. He's completely dominating his face offs at 68%. he's their #1 PK guy, and he's on a bad team with 65% Dzone starts. His stats are going to look bad when he always gets put in bad positions.

***EDIT*** this is coming from a guy that really dislikes DET.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 4:44 p.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
I like your posts and how you are willing to listen to other comments.
I do not say that so you will accept my input only that you are very reasonable.
Here's the deal, both Little and Shibball hated Botterill so any player he picked up is worthless than a bucket of spit.
In fact Montour has and is playing well.
Two years age after being traded to Buffalo he was the Sabres best defenseman for the final 20 games of the season.
Last year only Ristolainen played more minutes per game than he and this year only Dahlin and Ristolainen play more than he. Plus he had the best +/- of all skaters last season.
This year of all defensemen he has the highest 5 on 5 SV%
While Staal for Compher may be a close deal (what is up with J.T. this year) Montour for Graves is not even close.

Thanks, it's nice to hear some positive feedback. Much appreciated! smile

I was actually just looking closer at Montour's advanced stats to try to get a better picture. Here's a post I made on the Hfboards Avs trade thread about him if you're interested: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/176115712/

I agree with what you're saying about Montour. It seems to me that he's been a bit of a victim of circumstance, having to always play LD or with crap D partners (eg. Irwin). When he's been paired with McCabe or Dahlin he's done pretty well statistically. But then again that would be expected as Dahlin and McCabe are far more solid than other guys on that team, though his pairing with Dahlin and McCabe has outperformed most other pairings, like Dahlin-Miller for example.

Montour is the sort of Dman that needs to have a good coach to succeed; a coach who can identify his strengths and play to them. He's not an offensive Dman or PPQB, but what he is elite at is getting the puck from the DZ to the OZ. He also needs to have permission to rush the puck, which is somethng not all coaches like. Barrie for example went from a 60 point Dman in Colorado to a disaster in Babcock's team because Babcock didn't want any puckrushing.

If the team that acquires him knows what they're doing it could end up being a really nice cheap deal for them. 40 point puck-rushing Dmen don't grow on trees after all.

That said, to be balanced I think it's fair to say that Montour's defensive zone play is pretty bad. The Avs D system is also built around stopping zone entries with Dmen who step up at the line and forwards that backcheck hard, and that isn't exactly Montour's strong suit, so I could see some trepidation in acquiring him, at least from the Avs perspective. We've also got 4 puckmoving Dmen who aren't the biggest guys, so I think Sakic would be more likely to try to acquire more of a shutdown type to bolster our 3rd pairing rather than a puckrushing Dman. Would be pretty fun if we did add Montour though, and would allow us to explore options to trade Timmins for a good middle 6 C in a separate trade.

Regarding Compher, the way he's playing is really weird. I mean there's just very little engagement, just a guy doing a whole lot of nothing. It's weird to see, because we all know how he can play. Before he signed that contract he was a tenacious puck hound playing full of energy and getting to dirty areas and scoring some nice goals around the net; but that's all gone this year. Judging by TOI last game (he played 5:50 in the first 2 periods, and then got 5 minutes in the 3rd when the game was basically over already) he seems to be on a short leash. O'Connor has come in and played really well, so if he doesn't up his game he could be on his way out of the lineup pretty soon.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 4:51 p.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: exo2769
Out of the box idea here. Go get Luke Glendening form DET. I think he's one of the more under-rated TDL acquisitions of the year...whomever gets him. He's completely dominating his face offs at 68%. he's their #1 PK guy, and he's on a bad team with 65% Dzone starts. His stats are going to look bad when he always gets put in bad positions.

***EDIT*** this is coming from a guy that really dislikes DET.

That's a nice idea, but Avs already have a 4C who's great at PK faceoffs, as Bellemare is winning 65% on the PK this year. Glendenning is also only 55% on PK draws this year and was 50.62% last season so there's not really an incentive to make a trade just for PK faceoffs.

Landeskog is also winning over 60% of his draws this year (he often takes them instead of Mackinnon), and Kadri is over 50% in all situations and over 60% on the PP.

Avs need a playdriving 3C who's decent at faceoffs should help the PK as well. Glendenning isn't really the level of player we need for that role.

I could certainly see a contender who lack a 4C faceoff guy being interested though, it just won't be the Avs.
exo2769 and gretzkyghosts liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll