Forums/Armchair-GM

Loading it up

Created by: justaBoss
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2021
Published: Feb. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is the year where TOR should go all in. They play in a relatively weak division, with almost guaranteed position into the top4 of this league. But if we were to assume that the other 3 teams in those finals challenging this bunch are Bruins, Lightning and Avalanche, I do think they're coming short. Also, if the divisions return back to normal, TB and BOS will once again play in their own division, making it that much harder to reach the top of the league. One more reason for them to consider loading it all in.

As for the expansion draft, I think TOR will protect after these moves:
7F: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Forsberg, Nylander, Jarnkrok, Anderson
3D: Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie
1G: Campbell

And to fill the exposure requirement rule, they have Engvall, McEwen, Holl and Hutchinson left.

note: TOR will run 11-7 system from the deadline to the start of the playoffs. Bogosian will work as the 7th D until the playoffs start and he or Dermott can be assigned to Taxi Squad without risking the waivers.
Trades
TOR
  1. Hamonic, Travis
  2. MacEwen, Zack
Additional Details:
Leafs gain a stay-at-home depth D-man and an asset who's necessary to meet the exposure requirement role. ExD wise this trade works both ways. VAN probably wins value-wise, but I think as a hockey trade both teams win here.
VAN
  1. Barabanov, Alexander
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
Nucks gain a long-term 3C they have been lacking, and also bring in Barabanov to give him a new chance. Plus if the rumors are true and VAN is planning to bring Podkolzin in after his KHL contract expires, Barabanov as his former team mate could be a good morale boost for the guy.
TOR
  1. 2021 5th round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
Assuming Chicago's season continue in a happy tone, they might consider moving a late pick for some strengthening. Doesn't have to be Chicago though. Any team will do.
CHI
  1. Vesey, Jimmy
Additional Details:
In order to not lose the guy from the waivers, Leafs exchange the guy for a pick.
TOR
  1. Tennyson, Matt
  2. 2022 5th round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Leafs might have a need for more of stay-at-home defenseman. Think Tennyson fits this description a bit better than Lehtonen, who as a puck-moving D hasn't really fitted in the depth D role.
NJD
  1. Lehtonen, Mikko
Additional Details:
Devils was after the guy in the free agency. Think if they want the best chance to try signing the guy again, maybe giving him a chance for the rest of the season might be in their interest.
TOR
  1. Forsberg, Filip ($3,000,000 retained)
  2. Järnkrok, Calle
Additional Details:
Leafs add an extremely strong 1,5 year rental in Forsberg, who's known from having a very solid record in playoffs. They add Jarnkrok to work as the Kerfoot replacement more or less, just slighty cheaper and better version of that.
NSH
  1. Abruzzese, Nick [Reserve List]
  2. Hirvonen, Roni [Reserve List]
  3. Sandin, Rasmus
  4. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
  5. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Preds start their rebuild by a storm by adding a top D prospect, two solid center prospects and picks.
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$80,199,741$0$0$1,300,259
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$825,000$825,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$821,667$821,667 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
RD
UFA - 1
C, RW
UFA - 1
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:49 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Devils accept
yxzyzzyx liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:51 p.m.
Canucks decline purely because I don't wanna move MacEwen. I also think 3.5mil is too pricey for a 3C
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:54 p.m.
Banned
This isn't half bad
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.
Banned
Although this would require them to possibly send an asset to Seattle to take Dermott over Holl.b
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: TheAlien
Canucks decline purely because I don't wanna move MacEwen. I also think 3.5mil is too pricey for a 3C

Motte's fine as well.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 12:59 p.m.
NTanger19
its good but i think nashville would want more cause ur takin their best player
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Sorry, I don't think this helps the Leafs. Kerfoot has been playing well. That's a downgrade at centre to have Jarnkrok and McEwen filling the 3C and 4C positions. Plus you gotta wait 6 games for Jarnkrok to play and Forsberg and Tennyson to play .
Hamonic hasn't played much due to injury, Don't think he would be an improvement over Bogosian who has been steady this year. Rather keep Lehtonen, and really it's a bad business decision to trade a European UFA when he has picked your team to play for. Good luck in signing others.
Yea Forsberg would be a nice addition. But the Leafs have plenty of wingers. I know you want the Leafs to go for it but really the only addition that helps is Forsberg, and some of the other moves actually hurts the Leafs this year. Sandin is needed next year on a cheap ELC...the Leafs have two UFA Dmen and might one another to Seattle. Way to many futures to give up for Forsberg.

Can't Forsberg or other Preds be traded to other NHL teams? It's a CF obsession that only the Leafs are interested.
Would your favourite Dallas, give up nearly so much for Forsberg and Jarnkrok?
tomato43 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:10 p.m.
Hamonic is bad and Teynneson is straight up nuclear waste bad, The leafs wont want any part of either
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:20 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: palhal
Sorry, I don't think this helps the Leafs. Kerfoot has been playing well. That's a downgrade at centre to have Jarnkrok and McEwen filling the 3C and 4C positions. Plus you gotta wait 6 games for Jarnkrok to play and Forsberg and Tennyson to play .
Hamonic hasn't played much due to injury, Don't think he would be an improvement over Bogosian who has been steady this year. Rather keep Lehtonen, and really it's a bad business decision to trade a European UFA when he has picked your team to play for. Good luck in signing others.
Yea Forsberg would be a nice addition. But the Leafs have plenty of wingers. I know you want the Leafs to go for it but really the only addition that helps is Forsberg, and some of the other moves actually hurts the Leafs this year. Sandin is needed next year on a cheap ELC...the Leafs have two UFA Dmen and might one another to Seattle. Way to many futures to give up for Forsberg.

Can't Forsberg or other Preds be traded to other NHL teams? It's a CF obsession that only the Leafs are interested.
Would your favourite Dallas, give up nearly so much for Forsberg and Jarnkrok?

Comparing Toronto to Dallas isn't really a viable comparison as both teams are in different situation. Idea is that now that TOR is closer than ever in the 2000s of contending, they strengthen further, but Dallas isn't there quite yet.

And honestly I'd imagine NSH would want more from Dallas as they're a division rival. Also DAL doesn't seem to be as strong of a contender this year compared to TOR. Can't see any reality where DAL drops Tampa or Canes and reaches the TOP4 of the league, with or without Forsberg.

There's most likely many teams interested in the guy. But the amount of Forsberg to Leafs posts can be explained by two things:

1) the amount of Leafs fans on this site
2) the amount of good prospects in Leafs

As for signing European UFAs, in a business view I think it'd be better look for the Leafs to move these guys if they aren't getting any ice time. Should they be after Zhafyarov or Okulov, it's better to show them that they actually get a chance to play with the roster.

Jarnkrok isn't really a downgrade on Kerfoot imo. They're even at level, he's just cheaper than AK is. The quarantine rule is a meh thing, but honestly it's not like the Leafs are struggling with getting into the playoffs in anyway. These guys are fully acquired as a playoff strengthening.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Motte's fine as well.

Canucks do not want to move him either. Both players give the Canucks some of the badly needed grit. You have some interesting ideas here for all teams for sure though.
justaBoss and PeterForsberg21 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:23 p.m.
sen krak fan
This actually seems great!
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
tomato
Sandins potential makes him very valuable to us moving forward. I don't think acquiring Forsberg for two cup runs is worth him along with two other prospects and two relatively high picks. Jarnkrok is a good option for a 3rd line centre but i dont feel like he is much of an upgrade on Kerfoot. These trades leave Spezza out of the lineup which i think is a mistake. I love him on the 4th line. Vesey would pass through waivers in my opinion so i doubt we could get anything for him. Id rather hold onto lehtonen if only to show future Euro free agents that we wont dump them as soon as possible. I like the idea of getting defensive depth and would welcome Hamonic on the team but i dont see us and Vancouver as good trading partners.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 2:34 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: justaBoss
Comparing Toronto to Dallas isn't really a viable comparison as both teams are in different situation. Idea is that now that TOR is closer than ever in the 2000s of contending, they strengthen further, but Dallas isn't there quite yet.

And honestly I'd imagine NSH would want more from Dallas as they're a division rival. Also DAL doesn't seem to be as strong of a contender this year compared to TOR. Can't see any reality where DAL drops Tampa or Canes and reaches the TOP4 of the league, with or without Forsberg.

There's most likely many teams interested in the guy. But the amount of Forsberg to Leafs posts can be explained by two things:

As for signing European UFAs, in a business view I think it'd be better look for the Leafs to move these guys if they aren't getting any ice time. Should they be after Zhafyarov or Okulov, it's better to show them that they actually get a chance to play with the roster.

Jarnkrok isn't really a downgrade on Kerfoot imo. They're even at level, he's just cheaper than AK is. The quarantine rule is a meh thing, but honestly it's not like the Leafs are struggling with getting into the playoffs in anyway. These guys are fully acquired as a playoff strengthening.

I'll make a comment on your lines.

Yea, we have a lot of Leaf fans and haters on this site. But geez on CF, there is a obsession when a players is traded to the Leafs then everyone tries to up fit a square peg into a round hole.
For example 95% of Bennett to the Leafs were really so on sided in the Flames favour. And those Hall trades, the seem have give 50% more than any other team would. I sure wish people would realize that it's 2021, and players don't have their perceived value of years ago.

The Leafs have traded many of their good prospects or draft picks in recent years. I would say the the number of Leafs prospects...meaning guys that could make the NHL is below the NHL average.

But I get back to my point. It seems so many posts demand that Leafs overpay for marginal upgrades. Fans of other teams would have no interest in giving up what the Leafs seem to have to.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 3:40 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: palhal
I'll make a comment on your lines.

Yea, we have a lot of Leaf fans and haters on this site. But geez on CF, there is a obsession when a players is traded to the Leafs then everyone tries to up fit a square peg into a round hole.
For example 95% of Bennett to the Leafs were really so on sided in the Flames favour. And those Hall trades, the seem have give 50% more than any other team would. I sure wish people would realize that it's 2021, and players don't have their perceived value of years ago.

The Leafs have traded many of their good prospects or draft picks in recent years. I would say the the number of Leafs prospects...meaning guys that could make the NHL is below the NHL average.

But I get back to my point. It seems so many posts demand that Leafs overpay for marginal upgrades. Fans of other teams would have no interest in giving up what the Leafs seem to have to.

It's kinda subjective whether all the Bennett trades are in favor of the Flames...I don't value the guy highly, but there's people like Nick Kypreos who think Bennett's worth Kerfoot+Robertson lol. Some people here are just fools.

I think the reason why there's so many Leafs posts having the overpay for small upgrades is the fact that they kinda tend to do it. Just recently they acquired Galchenyuk with a bit of an overpay, and they did the same with Campbell for instance.

It's not uncalled for for a contending team to make upgrades with slightly higher cost. Tampa kind of normalized it last year with the Coleman and Goodrow trades.

The Leafs prospects are most likely seen in a tad higher value due to most of them being European prospects, and with covid affecting the junior leagues the Euro prospects look better since they actually play.
Feb. 24, 2021 at 9:24 p.m.
Quoting: TheAlien

GMJB and an overpaid 3C he would cream himself on the spot

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll